Recommendations For Atmospheric Puzzle/adventure Games (Myst, Mind, Etc...)

4 replies to this topic

#1 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:09 AM

Does anyone have any great recommendations for Atmospheric Puzzle & Adventure games? (Think Myst series, Riven. etc....)

I've fallen back in love with the genre (although all I ever really played as a kid was the Myst series), and recently purchased Mind: Path To Thalamus on Steam, which imo is AMAZING. (As well as getting the new realMyst Masterpiece edition, which..well.... is just, if not more amazing than the original)

I tend to like games with no HUD whatsoever (minimal), a real atmospheric feel with good visuals, compelling storyline etc...etc... oh and being the only person in the game environment is always awesome. NPCs or other characters make it much less lonely feeling

#2 Stijnovic

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 63 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:22 AM

If you like platform puzzle games, try Limbo and The Fall. Both have very nice puzzles and very deep, dark atmosphere.

#3 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:42 AM

View Postxeromynd, on 28 October 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

I tend to like games with no HUD whatsoever (minimal), a real atmospheric feel with good visuals, compelling storyline etc...etc... oh and being the only person in the game environment is always awesome. NPCs or other characters make it much less lonely feeling

Dear Esther
Gone Home

These two are heavy on the story/aesthetic side but not much of a puzzle. Very much being criticized as "not a game", the only puzzle is to piece the story together. But everything else is great.

Ether One
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

I've only reached the second level of Ether One and never touched Ethan Carter, but the former is really impressive in many ways and the latter is being critically acclaimed by many.

Than's all the "atmospheric puzzle & adventure" I know to my limited knowledge. However I'm gonna take a wild guess on your taste and recommend you The Stanley Parable and Antichamber. The former is the greatest comedy ever happened in videogames and the latter is a F***ING HARDCORE puzzle.

And if you don't mind shooting stuff, Alan Wake franchise is not bad either.

#4 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 28 October 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

Dear Esther
Gone Home

These two are heavy on the story/aesthetic side but not much of a puzzle. Very much being criticized as "not a game", the only puzzle is to piece the story together. But everything else is great.

Ether One
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

I've only reached the second level of Ether One and never touched Ethan Carter, but the former is really impressive in many ways and the latter is being critically acclaimed by many.

Than's all the "atmospheric puzzle & adventure" I know to my limited knowledge. However I'm gonna take a wild guess on your taste and recommend you The Stanley Parable and Antichamber. The former is the greatest comedy ever happened in videogames and the latter is a F***ING HARDCORE puzzle.

And if you don't mind shooting stuff, Alan Wake franchise is not bad either.

Will definitely try out The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, had a friend recommend it to me. As for the other three, I also do particularly like the 'walk through a story' type game, no problem with it, so I'll probably try 'those three as well. Not sure why people have such a problem with those kinds of titles, they're not so much a game as they are 'walking through a book', but I don't see whats wrong with that.

As for The Stanley Parable, let's just say I've already stood in the broom closet for way longer than I should have. Fantastically funny game, and I'm not quite sure I've even gotten all the endings yet.

**on a side note, I've always wanted to play Amnesia (certainly Horror, not just Adventure), but I'm not sure I like the concept of paying money to get the **** scared out of me.

Edited by xeromynd, 28 October 2014 - 11:31 AM.

#5 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

View Postxeromynd, on 28 October 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

**on a side note, I've always wanted to play Amnesia (certainly Horror, not just Adventure), but I'm not sure I like the concept of paying money to get the **** scared out of me.

That reminds me, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is developed by The Chinese Room who also happened to develop Dear Esther, and consequently is far less creepy and more story.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users