10 replies to this topic

#1 War Kitten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts
  • LocationUnder a Cat

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:05 PM

Greetings All,

Just got my first clan mech (stormcrow) and wow, boy are they a tad different than what I am used to (used BlackJack & Phract mechs). I ran a few times in the training grounds and a few battles, got the "C" variant and traded pulse for reg (CPLL & 3 CPML) for weight, little less heat, & the LBX10 for a CAC5, and added more DHS & am discovering the uses of a Targeting Comp.

I am currently looking trying on omni pod for missles (LT, it has 2 missle hardpoints on it), wanted to try using some of that "bring the rain" goodness to my weaps mix. Is there a place that lists the different missile stats before I spring for an omni? I know just about everyone uses LRMs, but I tend to get up in your face (much to my many sudden WTF!? deaths (g)), so I was wondering about the SRMs. I know the Streaks are supposed to always hit (barring terrain or wandering teammates), do they come in more than just a 2pk? Has anyone stacked them to good effect?
Just trying to find a good load mix.

Thank you all for your input/opinions!

War Kitten

"Good Lord, they are Sonic Screwdrivers, what are you going to do, assemble a cabinet at them?!"

#2 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostWar Kitten, on 28 October 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

Greetings All,

Just got my first clan mech (stormcrow) and wow, boy are they a tad different than what I am used to (used BlackJack & Phract mechs). I ran a few times in the training grounds and a few battles, got the "C" variant and traded pulse for reg (CPLL & 3 CPML) for weight, little less heat, & the LBX10 for a CAC5, and added more DHS & am discovering the uses of a Targeting Comp.

I am currently looking trying on omni pod for missles (LT, it has 2 missle hardpoints on it), wanted to try using some of that "bring the rain" goodness to my weaps mix. Is there a place that lists the different missile stats before I spring for an omni? I know just about everyone uses LRMs, but I tend to get up in your face (much to my many sudden WTF!? deaths (g)), so I was wondering about the SRMs. I know the Streaks are supposed to always hit (barring terrain or wandering teammates), do they come in more than just a 2pk? Has anyone stacked them to good effect?
Just trying to find a good load mix.

Thank you all for your input/opinions!

War Kitten

"Good Lord, they are Sonic Screwdrivers, what are you going to do, assemble a cabinet at them?!"

First off, welcome to the wonderfully restrictive world of Clan Mechs, now with that out of the way...

When you look at the omni-pods in the load out section for everything but CT, as that is the only part of the mech you cannot change out, you will see in the tool tip on your right, that shows a colour coded ballistic (purple), Energy (orange), missile (green) or tool (red), these will have numbers beside them showing you how many hard points are on that location.

Targeting computers are wonderful, wonderful things. Just remember past Mk IV or mk V, you start to see diminishing returns for the weight and crit space used up by them.

I used to use cSSRM 6 X 4 (Clan Streak Short Range Missile) on a Timber Wolf with S side torsos, till I found I was doing better with cSRM 6's, I wasn't one for the lock on time, I preferred the on demand damage from cSRM's over the cSSRM.

As for the Auto Cannon, I would suggest either going with the cUAC or LBX, just skip the normal cAC series, it's almost shooting yourself in the foot with them. What you will find, is that most clan ballistics, save for the Gauss, are inferior to the IS counter part, by a large margin, this is due to the burst mechanic, requiring more face time, and skill at keeping the cannon on target.

Also keep in mind, that there will be hard wired equipment, stuff you cannot remove, such as the engine and some heat sinks, and on some mechs even weapons. Your new Storm Crow, will always go as fast as it does, the only change will be when you get speed tweak, that's it.

If you would like to play with a Storm Crow, before you go spending more c-bills on it, I would suggest going to:

SCR-C and start playing.

Edited by Metus regem, 28 October 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#3 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:20 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...pon_missle_clan

SRMs are dumbfire, shorter range, but half the wieght.
SSRMs require lock, but track, and have 90m more range. The have a nasty reload time for the clan version.
LRMs do reduced damage under 180 (drastically reduced under 90).

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:59 PM

Clan Streaks come in 2s, 4s, and 6s. Note that while the SSRM6s have a high damage output & target seeking, they have a long reload rate resulting in a low overall DPS.

#5 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:04 PM

Hi. Please watch this. I go through all the clan missile systems in this video. Hope this helps. Also if you have questions about loadout I've got a video for that too.

#6 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:16 PM

My favorite Stormcrow has 1 mlas and 5 Clan Streak 4s. A couple of words of warning with streaks. 1) Take a BAP and artemis. Also a targeting computer will help too. 2) You need to be very careful about not doing alphas with that many streaks. Ghost heat builds up quickly.

Having said that, I LOVE this mech. The thing is an absolute punisher.

#7 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 28 October 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

First off, welcome to the wonderfully restrictive world of Clan Mechs

This has been the weirdest part of the Clan tech in MWO for me. And the main reason I have not gone Clan.

In the TT game (and the lore) the whole point of Omnimechs was their flexibility. I mean, thats the reason they are better, their flexibility. But in MWO they are so much less flexible. Not being able to change out engines? Really?

#8 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 30 October 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

This has been the weirdest part of the Clan tech in MWO for me. And the main reason I have not gone Clan.

In the TT game (and the lore) the whole point of Omnimechs was their flexibility. I mean, thats the reason they are better, their flexibility. But in MWO they are so much less flexible. Not being able to change out engines? Really?

I know, I've said it several times on the boards here, they got it arse backwards between battle mechs and Omni mehcs...

Battle mechs should have hard wired equipment, fixed hard points, fixed engines and fixed structure

Omni-mehcs Should have fixed engines, fixed equipment, fixed sturcture and fixed armour

A way I think would be fair, and in keeping with the advantages of omni-mechs, would be letting you save 3 to 4 load outs for say a Timber Wolf Prime, and once you see if you are getting a mission that you did not have the right load out for, say you were set up for a knife fight on Terra Therma, but you pulled a conquest on Alpine, you could change to a different pre-saved load out, before the match started.

The other hard part about Clan Tech is getting used to the DoT mechanic of almost every weapon system, save for SRM/cERPPC/Gauss.

But once I decided I liked MWO enough to spend money on it, I went Clan, and have adapted to clan play style, I think I would have a hard time if I went back to the IS.

#9 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:32 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 31 October 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

But once I decided I liked MWO enough to spend money on it, I went Clan, and have adapted to clan play style, I think I would have a hard time if I went back to the IS.

I doubt I will be able to get used to that...I just like the ability to play with different configs too much, and I am accustomed to the burst damage model. I customized a K2 with a bigger engine (can run 80kph now), and it is just a night and day difference. It is so much more fun to play now that I can move.

Kinda sucks, because the Clan mechs do look a lot cooler. They all look clean and modern. And I *love* the way Clan missiles look. I know it is intended as a disadvantage, but it looks and sounds a lot cooler than IS missiles.

#10 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:35 PM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 31 October 2014 - 12:32 PM, said:

I doubt I will be able to get used to that...I just like the ability to play with different configs too much, and I am accustomed to the burst damage model. I customized a K2 with a bigger engine (can run 80kph now), and it is just a night and day difference. It is so much more fun to play now that I can move.

Kinda sucks, because the Clan mechs do look a lot cooler. They all look clean and modern. And I *love* the way Clan missiles look. I know it is intended as a disadvantage, but it looks and sounds a lot cooler than IS missiles.

I went Clan, since my days of TT, once I was introduced to Clan Ghost Bear, I never looked back. That being said, I wouldn't mind having some IS chassis, just not what I want to run in CW...

#11 Alexander MacTaggart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 30 October 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

You couldn't modify omnimech engines in table-top either. In fact you couldn't even add armor, and you had a set selection of omni-pods to choose from.

The problem isnt that MWO is too restrictive on omnis, the problem is that MWO is WAAAAAAAAY too lenient in letting players customise IS mechs. Going by TT you shouldn't be changing engine rating or type, or adding endo or ferro or changing the majority of the weapons loadout. The only people who got to have non-custom mechs where Mary Sue character from the books and everyone else used stock mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users