New Player Feedback Question

14 replies to this topic

#1 Smoke40

Rookie

• The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:20 PM

After trying to upload my custom made signature I figured out the error message "500" was; my image is to large! Is there a way to have my image display larger so it doesn't hurt your eyes while viewing the image?

The background of this image is 720 x 80 however, the mech picture it the logo has a height of 200 not allowing for my original image. To have 80 as the max height seems too low.
Posted Image
This is the original signature I made; by the actual forum signature I have, you can see what I'm stuck with.

Basically I'm asking a question and giving feedback on forum signatures. Can we have slightly larger height on our forum signatures?

#2 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:24 PM

nope. sorry.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:26 PM

Rescaling the mech within the signature to match or not quite overpower the height of the smoke effects would do it.

#4 Smoke40

Rookie

• The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:34 PM

View PostKoniving, on 28 October 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

Rescaling the mech within the signature to match or not quite overpower the height of the smoke effects would do it.

I'm going to give it a try right now and see If i can't fix this signature I made.

#5 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:48 PM

You could also lower the size of Smoke40 a little, broaden the smoke banner height and place the 'mech inside the banner so it cuts it off at the calf just below the knee and the hunches at the top are partially hidden. Unless you really like the full design of the 'mech image then I got nothing.

Edited by RazorbeastFXK3, 28 October 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#6 Smoke40

Rookie

• The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:29 PM

I redid the signature based off suggestions from you guys. However, I still retrain my stance that the forums signature height should be raised.

New signature:
Posted Image

#7 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:29 PM

View PostSmoke40, on 28 October 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

However, I still retrain my stance that the forums signature height should be raised.

That signature size is pretty standard for forums. Get used to it.

#8 Smoke40

Rookie

• The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:53 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 28 October 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

That signature size is pretty standard for forums. Get used to it.

I disagree, past and current experiences tell me that the current dimensions are not standard. The width is a lot larger than most and the height is a lot smaller than most.

450x200, 600 x 150 ext
750 width and only allowing for 80 height seems weird in-itself as far as dimensions go. With a width of 750 I would expect to see 300 or even 400 height. That is based upon my personal experiences with forums in the past as well now.

If they are worried about bandwidth limits then they can compensate by taking away some of the width. An example would be: 630 x 200

#9 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:28 AM

Suggest you ask a mod to move this tread into the website support section of the forums so the right people see it easier.

#10 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:36 AM

Unfortunately, the size limitations imposed on us by the forums is a bit restrictive. Gotta try and make the most use of the minimal space without making it too busy.

What is especially odd is that while the sig image itself is so limited, you can still add multiple lines of text below it. o_0

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 29 October 2014 - 06:36 AM.

#11 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:55 PM

Not all forums have the same size chart as the other. There are some forums that only allow image sizes of a certain byte allowance. Other forums don't even allow images in signatures and only provide custom profile images of 25x25 pixels.

View PostSmoke40, on 28 October 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

I disagree, past and current experiences tell me that the current dimensions are not standard. The width is a lot larger than most and the height is a lot smaller than most.

450x200, 600 x 150 ext
750 width and only allowing for 80 height seems weird in-itself as far as dimensions go. With a width of 750 I would expect to see 300 or even 400 height. That is based upon my personal experiences with forums in the past as well now.

Not sure if bandwidth is an issue but they probably just want to keep it uniform so nobody's signature overwhelms topics. 'cause, for example, with expanded height allowances comes with the burden of having to scroll that much further to follow topics.

View PostSmoke40, on 28 October 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

If they are worried about bandwidth limits then they can compensate by taking away some of the width. An example would be: 630 x 200

#12 ShinobiHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

It would be nice to have taller siggies, I wish we could add custom profile pictures too.

#13 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

I'd also be in favour of taller sig images. I understand the reason for limiting it, but what's the point when you can make it obnoxious with extra lines of text? But then again, who on this forum does that? Nobody that I've ever seen.

PS: Smoke: I think your siggy looks pretty nice now. If you wanted to make the mech bigger and let it clip a little at the bottom, I think it would look better, but I like what you've done so far for sure.

Edited by Tarogato, 29 October 2014 - 02:52 PM.

#14 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:11 PM

I've seen some amazing signatures since I joined in closed Beta

that being said; its a bit restrictive

if they want to reduce bandwidth they should allow for other formats than gif (like gfycat transforming gifs to html5 video)

would love some custom profile pics
yeah FRR Posted Image

Edited by Peter2k, 29 October 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#15 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:59 PM

I'm trying to get a gif in my signature but it seems no matter how small I get it.. I always slam into the Error Wall..

This is the smallest version I found that I cannot seem to edit any smaller now 'cause my new computer doesn't recognize the program used to enlarge/shrink it..

Posted Image

This is the original size before shrinking it before I switched to my new computer.

Posted Image

Edited by RazorbeastFXK3, 05 May 2015 - 06:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users