- - - - -

Choosing A 170Km/h Chassis

54 replies to this topic

#21 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:45 PM

As others said about spider 5V. Most manuvurable mech in the game, but also probably the least armed XD

#22 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:38 AM

Up until now I've been thinking of the commando as better armed than the spider, it actually isn't really (SRM6s would be heavy). The commando 1B's (link in OP now) are pretty good, but they kind of put large lasers out of sync with mediums.

#23 Saiphas Cain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:00 AM

View PostJohn1352, on 30 October 2014 - 02:38 AM, said:

Up until now I've been thinking of the commando as better armed than the spider, it actually isn't really (SRM6s would be heavy). The commando 1B's (link in OP now) are pretty good, but they kind of put large lasers out of sync with mediums.

They have lower tonnage for weapons, and you're forced into few choices, but a single SRM 6 center torso with 2 tons of ammo is surprisingly nasty. I still run out of ammo nearly every match but the damage output and annoyance factor is high.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ac5ab2f53142d04

The SRM 6 is heavy but it's a nice blaster weapon. You can do drive by's with it like nobody's business. Beam weapons and machineguns require keeping the gun trained on the target which is hard to do when running that fast, or faster.

#24 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:12 AM

If you're willing to shell out, nothing beats the Death Knelll - best hero EVAR. Of course, you know you need at least three commandos to get it going at 171, right?

#25 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:38 AM

I've had them all and the Commando is the mech you're looking for.

Spiders are OK, the JJ's open a lot of possibilities as always, but the Commando is just better armed. Locusts are a good time every once in a while. All of these mechs can be one shot killed, but the Locust will more often be one shot killed than the other two.

Honestly, these mechs will all be painful until you unlock speed tweak. The Commando 1B, 2D, and 3A are good choices to elite it. The Locust is getting some very interesting quirks in the mech quirk pass coming next Tuesday, but IMO these won't be quite enough to rescue the chassis.

#26 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

View PostJohn1352, on 30 October 2014 - 02:38 AM, said:

As a previous poster said, SRMs are much easier to use at those high speeds than lasers. For hit and run tactics, which is what all these mechs are for, the Commando has the best hardpoints. Yes, Locusts have missile slots as well, but they lack the tonnage to capitalize on them. A single SRM6 or SRM4 on a Commando will output much more damage than you think, and the "impact" of the missiles hitting a large mech (say, a Dire Wolf) in the back will do more to turn that mechs guns away from your teammates than more easily ignored laser fire.

#27 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:49 AM

Going 170ph can be fun, just be aware you're not really ever going to win any battles alone (so if another light is chasing you, you better hope you are near friendly support). I would recommend starting out with the the hardier Jenners, then maybe play around with a Locust to see how you like it after them.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 30 October 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#28 salkeee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 172 posts
  • LocationTree House

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:01 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 30 October 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

Going 170ph can be fun, just be aware you're not really ever going to win any battles alone (so if another light is chasing you, you better hope you are near friendly support). I would recommend starting out with the the hardier Jenners, then maybe play around with a Locust to see how you like it after them.

I have seen quite a good number of fast comandos pulling wins agains other lights in 1v1 even on 1vs2
there are those ppls that have crazy skills in those things and more speed is related to longer stay alive and a lil less weapons means U rarely overheat so U can keep goin on and on.
Jenners are strong but if they miss their alpha once or twice(depending on map temperature) they lost quite a bit of their advantage and if U consider equal skill in consideration Comando still have humanoid shape and is faster and than harder to hit.

I do agree that jeners are easyer to pull off but for experienced players it doesnt meen much.

Edited by salkeee, 30 October 2014 - 10:11 AM.

#29 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:05 AM

if your OK with 149-151kph max, I'd say RVN-3L (XL 295 Max, 136.5 kph stock or 150.2 kph with speed tweak) or the CDA-3M (XL 340 Max, 137.7 kph stock, 151.5 kph with speed tweak, fastest medium, faster than some lights and only ECM Medium)

RVN-3L comes with FF Armour, with XL 295, ECM, BAP, 10 Engine HS and stock Armour there's 9 Tons for Weapons, Armour and equipment, the 295 got 1 free HS Slot.

CDA 3M Comes with DHS, With XL 340, ECM, BAP, 10 Engine HS and stock Armour, there's 8.5 Tons for Weapons, Armour and Equipment, 340 got 3 free engine HS

you mentioned you have a XL280, swapping Max engine for a XL280 Brings the RVN-3L to 129.6 kph Stock, 142.6 kph with Speed Tweak, 280 got same HS amount as the 295 for a ton less so you could stick a extra HS in it and make it the same weight as the 295, less speed but better heat management

swapping XL340 for XL 280 in the CDA-3M brings speed down to 113.4 kph, 127.7 kph with speed tweak and weighs 6 tons less with 2 less free HS Slots, 5 tons less if you add a DHS into the free engine slot for 11 DHS, the CDA-3M comes with a XL 320 stock though, with stock engine it's 129.6 kph, 142.6 with speed tweak, that's the same as the RVN 3L with XL 280, and while the same speed the CDA-3M would have a extra .5 Tons to play with but less Armour stock, if you add FF and the extra tonnage from it along with the extra .5 tons, it would have same Armour and tonnage to play with as the RVN-3L, so only differences would be hardpoints, movement and perks.

you can also take The XL210 from the RVN-3L and put it in the COM, the 210 is max for the COM-2D (ECM Varient), would have a speed of 136.1 kph, 149.7 kph with Speed Tweak, with XL210, ECM, BAP, 8 Engine HS and stock Armour you would have 7 tons to play with but you would need to add 2 HS to reach the 10 HS Minimum so that would leave you with 5 tons for Weapons, Armour and Equipment. with FF Armour and same amount of Armour points as RVN-3L Stock would leave it with 4.5 Tons for Weapons and extra equipment:

Weapon Hardpoint comparison:
RVN-3L: 3 Energy (2 Right Arm, 1 Right Torso), 2 Missile (1 Left Arm (20 tubes), Right torso (10 Tubes))
CDA-3M: 4 Energy( 1 Left Torso, 2 Center Torso, 1 Right Torso), 1 Ballistic (Left Torso)
COM-2D: 1 Energy(Left Arm), 3 Missile (1 in Center Torso (6 Tubes), 2 in Right Arm (4 Tubesx2))

a build I came up with for all 3:
CDA-3M AC/2 with 1 ton ammo, 3 ML: CDA-3M
RVN-3L 2 SRM4 Artemis with 2 tons ammo, 2 ML: RVN-3L
COM-2D SRM2 1/2 ton ammo, SSRM2 1/2 ton ammo, ML: COM-2D

Edited by Lord Letto, 30 October 2014 - 11:47 AM.

#30 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:09 AM

The Death's Kneel is going to be on sale this weekend, and it can reach 171 KPH with a max engine and Edno-steel. I'll probably be getting one myself.

#31 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:27 AM

View PostMarsAtlas, on 30 October 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

The Death's Kneel is going to be on sale this weekend, and it can reach 171 KPH with a max engine and Edno-steel. I'll probably be getting one myself.

It is F......

Sorry, the "un" ran away. :)

S

#32 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:37 PM

Go COMMANDO! You can use an XL 240 for 3 variants to master the mech, screw the ECM 2D you dont need it. 3A+1D+1B, all use XL240, so there you have it!

I could go on for days about the Commando but I will restrain myself...

#33 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:41 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 30 October 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

Nah, if you have 2 streaks in a 1D Commando and some MLs you can take on most any light aslong as they dont have streaks themselves. Even my Commando 1B with 1 streak, 1 MPL, and 2 MLS, could beat most lights pretty effectivley.

But now that SRMs register its up in the air which one you take.

#34 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:05 PM

PGI heard you and put the deaths knell on sale just for you this weekend! at 937mc, its a real good bargain. i bought when they first started doing the 50% sales on heros and its been a great value. i also have the ember wich i paid full price for and if you look at it simply as MC/cbill boost, TDK at almost 1/3rd the price blows the ember out of the water even though the ember is a cbill beast.

#35 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:05 PM

Death's Knell for less than 1000 MC this weekend!

I'll probably be snatchin it up. Hopefully my Locust-ing experiences can carry over lol

#36 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:07 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 28 October 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

The best Locust is still a Locust.

LOL

#37 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:21 PM

For the Commandos, I have a 235 XL but no 240 yet. It's suboptimal but it will probably be ok in the beginning right? Or should I just grind up the cbills for it?

I also have a 190 XL from my Locusts. Is there any playable build that uses it? Slowmando? I have a 210 XL too (can't remember where it's from lol)

Edited by Takashi Uchida, 30 October 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#38 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,595 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:28 PM

View PostJohn1352, on 28 October 2014 - 08:31 PM, said:

Maybe the drawbacks of being that fast outweigh the benefits?

So far, yes. The quirk system may help a good bit, but right now the extra 20kph of speed and the lighter movement archetype don't make up for the sad fact that being shot at in a Locust is a lot like flipping a coin to see if you die.

#39 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:34 PM

View PostTakashi Uchida, on 30 October 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

For the Commandos, I have a 235 XL but no 240 yet. It's suboptimal but it will probably be ok in the beginning right? Or should I just grind up the cbills for it?

I also have a 190 XL from my Locusts. Is there any playable build that uses it? Slowmando? I have a 210 XL too (can't remember where it's from lol)

The 235 is fine as a fudge for the 240.

A typical build on the 2D uses the 195, IIRC the 190 is the same weight. Fine if that's what you have.

#40 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:53 AM

View PostTakashi Uchida, on 30 October 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

You should be fine with that one, but in the long run nabbing the 240 would be advisable. You ****might*** be able to get away with that 190 on the Commando 2D. It's slow for that guy buy it would save on cbills.

EDIT: Ha! NM, you said you had the XL 210 lying around, which is great because that's the engine cap for the Commando 2D. :rolleyes:

Edited by Voivode, 31 October 2014 - 06:54 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users