Question

9 replies to this topic

#1 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts
  • LocationUnder a hail of LRM fire.

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:15 AM

So i was recommended this build here on the new player help forums.

SDH-5M
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a86b7ce9bf341e5

SDH-2D
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7d2d0ccbf99e932

Currently own both of these, the 2D isn't outfitted yet due to low c-bills.

My question relating the 5M is, that it feels lowpowerd. I don't feel like i'm doing alot of damage from range.
Result is that i withdraw quite quickly when an enemy pops up.
I've put my AC/5's to chainfire to provide more of a constant fire effect, but was it a right choice to outfit my 5M like this?

*I have gotten good results in this mech (700+), but mostly i go around 200-300 damage.

Edited by DoubleFlip, 29 October 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostDoubleFlip, on 29 October 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

My question relating the 5M is, that it feels lowpowerd. I don't feel like i'm doing alot of damage from range.
Result is that i withdraw quite quickly when an enemy pops up.
I've put my AC/5's to chainfire to provide more of a constant fire effect, but was it a right choice to outfit my 5M like this?

The AC/5's range in MWO is 620 meters for full damage. At 620 meters you are dealing 10 damage from 2 AC/5s.
At 621 meters you are NOT doing 10 damage.
At 775 meters, you are dealing 7.5 damage total from both AC/5s.
At 930 meters, you are doing 5 damage total.
At 1085 meters, you are doing 2.5 damage.
At 1240 meters, you are doing zero damage.

Also since you are chain firing, I'll give the damages there, too.

620, 5 damage per shot.
775, 3.75 damage.
930, 2.5 damage.
1085, 1.25 damage.
Finally at 1240 meters, zero damage.

If your concern is damage at range, perhaps you could consider redesigning it with a longer ranged weapon.
Each AC/5 is 8 tons. 8 + 8 = 16 tons, that's 1 ton more than a Gauss Rifle if you could stomach the reload time. Considering you'd need considerably fewer tons of ammunition, you could also supplement it with something like small SRMs or streaks for a reserve weapon.

While most weapons go up to 2x range for 0 damage, the Gauss Rifle goes to 3x range for 0 damage.
So while two AC/5s fired at the same time do 2.5 damage at 1085 meters, the 1 ton lighter Gauss Rifle does 7.5 damage at 1320 meters.

If you prefer the AC/5s, what you might try is reducing the ammunition to carry LRMs on the side. Alternatively, a single UAC/5 can accomplish the same thing as your twin AC/5 setup for only 9 tons. This comes at the risk of jamming, so it can only match performance for short bursts of time. This frees up 7 tons (+ some more since you will not need that much ammo) with which to dedicate to other forms of long range fire, such as an ER LL or LRMs.

Edited by Koniving, 29 October 2014 - 10:38 AM.

#3 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts
  • LocationUnder a hail of LRM fire.

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:34 AM

I never fire at anything farther then 600m. I just feels like i'm not doing enough damage to stop anyone from firing back instead of retreating in cover, or stop their movements.

#4 Josef Nader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:09 PM

View PostDoubleFlip, on 29 October 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

I never fire at anything farther then 600m. I just feels like i'm not doing enough damage to stop anyone from firing back instead of retreating in cover, or stop their movements.

Fire them together, as you want to minimize the amount of time you're visible, especially if you're fighting a larger mech. You aren't going to instantly blow a mech apart with this loadout, but with good aim, you can hammer the same component repeatedly and very quickly chew through the armor. You won't force them to retreat, especially if they have a heavier sniping loadout, so it's important that you're fighting targets that aren't focusing on you exclusively. Shooting at targets facing away from you or unaware is where you'll get the mileage from this build, as you can stay a safe distance away and peek out with a very small amount of your mech.

I also hate to tell you, but the XL280 weighs exactly the same as the XL275 and gives you a little extra speed.

#5 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:21 PM

The 2D is the only one I don't own, I can't give advice on it.

For the 5M, don't chainfire the AC5s. Fire them together whenever possible. You want ten damage to one spot, not five damage to two spots.

As for range, well, that loadout shouldn't really be trying to fight from 600m out with AC5s. It'd be better to try fighting around 300m, where you can get line of sight if you need it. I mean, sure, you can ridge-peek, but that build shines when supplying direct fire support for heavier mechs. If an enemy is distracted, and focusing on an ally rather than you, you can hit them with 60 damage every ten seconds, not counting medium lasers, which can be added for an additional 25 damage per ten seconds. Those AC5s have a high rate of fire, use it, rather than neglecting it. Be a supplement to your allies rather than trying to brawl or snipe from afar.

Alternatively, if you really wanted to snipe in the Shadowhawk, the Gauss Rifle rifle is much better than dual AC5s due to signficantly better damage at range, less weight required, less (if any) bullet drop, less heat, and being harder to track back to you than AC5s. I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting. You can always try pairing up a PPC with a Gauss Rifle as well. This, while could use tweaking, wouldn't be a terrible way to learn how to use it.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2882adfb2bc73d3

Streaks protect you from Lights who will eventually find you and try to take you down.

View PostJosef Nader, on 29 October 2014 - 01:09 PM, said:

I also hate to tell you, but the XL280 weighs exactly the same as the XL275 and gives you a little extra speed.

The XL275 comes with the 5M. OP, don't go for an XL280 instead, at least not right now. Just not worth it. Get a third Shawk instead.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 29 October 2014 - 07:25 PM.

#6 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:35 PM

If you want to have a go at poptarting, SHD-5M will work pretty well. I've kept it pretty close to what you already have so it will be cheap.

#7 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:32 AM

I'm sure Cbills are scarce right now, so keep the XL275 and just roll with that. I'm not really sure what you're play style is going to be, it's different for each pilot. Personally, I prefer to be mid to close range myself, and run "frankenmechs" most of the time, aka mixed weapon builds, with a little of everything, so I can engage multiple target distances.

For your consideration, maybe play with this one, if you have the Cbills for the weapons:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...918183ac1619833

Watch the heat from the LL's, and use that SRM sparingly, I know it's light on ammo. This one is kind of a "mini-Highlander". Set the 2 LL's to chainfire on one button, LB10 on another, and SRM's for when they're right there in your face on a 3rd button. Fairly simple weapon groupings with no complicated gauss arming mechanic.

The LB10 is a wicked crit seeker once armor has been stripped away. Stay with a friendly assault mech and back him up, shooting at what he's targeting/shooting. Hang in there until late in the match, when most enemy survivors are damaged and armor is stripped. Then use your speed to run in and clean up.

Or perhaps this one, if you desire JJ's, which can come in handy:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...55a1ff1fe0df54a

But this one is short on LB10 ammo as well, so really have to watch your shots and make them count.

Edited by OldOrgandonor, 30 October 2014 - 03:37 AM.

#8 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:55 AM

My 5M is built similar to yours, the only difference is i use XL300 and don't carry ams.

This 5M build is never meant to stop others in their tracks nor send them back hiding, but to maximize the high ballistic mounts to deal short, quick bursts before your targets notice or deal quick, continuous fire when needed while having moderate mobility.

Try flanking more, but be careful not to get isolated. You need to be very mindful of your surroundings and your team's position relative to yours if you try to hit from the side. It's ok to fire at 600-800m if your target is just standing there, the faster reload (compared with ac10, 20) will compensate for the reduced dmg. Don't worry too much about the dmg either, this build is meant to be a mobile fighter/harasser. If you want higher dmg, consider using 2LLas + ac10 or mlas + ac20 instead.

#9 Furry Fox

• PipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 42 posts
  • LocationIthaca, New York

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:09 PM

The SHD-5M was my first mech, and I still use it to this day. My main pieces of advice are...
  • Always stick to cover and to constantly switch positions.
  • If cover is not an option, then stand 50 meters or so behind and to the side of a heavier mech! In the heat of battle, people seem to focus on what's closest and easiest to hit. With your slender profile, that won't be you!
  • If you find yourself getting pounded on, retreat and find a new vantage point. You can't afford to be the focus of heavy enemy fire. Get use to turning your torso from side to side while retreating in order to spread damage.
Regarding builds, I prefer to roll with very mobile long-range Shadow Hawks.

My old build looked something like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a983edd9a50631e
  • With two ERLL, you can deal 18 damage per shot at long range. Just be sneaky and don't peak around the same corner more than once or twice. :P
  • I saved the UAC/5 for targets within 500 meters. If you can get use to firing at the right pace (to avoid the weapon jam), then you can put out significant DPS.
  • I used the LRM mainly to rack up kill assists or to fire on targets while on the move.
My current build looks like this, and it's a monster! I consistently get over 500 damage per match in this mech.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3c4dd5884861047
  • With the gauss rifle on your shoulder, you can hit an enemy mech for 15 damage without giving them the opportunity to react. If you know the maps well, then you'll be able to get nearly all 40 shots off without taking much damage at all. Since you have so many jump jets, maneuvering to a new position after every few shots won't be an issue.
  • If you find yourself in a brawl, or if you run out of Gauss ammo, then duel SRM 2 and duel ML setup puts out 6.8 DPS without generating too much heat. Ammo shouldn't be an issue. Since you move so fast, circling heavier mechs is a viable strategy. :D

Edited by Furry Fox, 30 October 2014 - 08:14 PM.

#10 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:48 PM

I run my 5M as a 'Gauss Hawk.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...655f1bcc6c541c8

Keep in mind my 5M is mastered and uses the modules:
Gauss Cooldown Rank 5
Radar Deprivation
Advanced Zoom

Stay at range, stay mobile, stay out of sight. You can deal a lot of damage and scare the piss out of some pilots when they can't tell where they're being shot from.

The SRM and the Medium Lasers are mostly there for scaring away lights if you're ever found. If you get good enough though with a Gauss Rifle, you can pop a round or two in them at close range. I've killed plenty of Embers thinking to get an easy kill with the GR being my primary.

Edited by Sigilum Sanctum, 30 October 2014 - 08:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users