Is Mechwarrior Online Just A Speed Ball Match ?

Gameplay Social

142 replies to this topic

#1 Illicit Activitie

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:57 AM

To open this it not a rant about the game maker it is a discussion about game play and
and what should be allowed in the game or not allowed in game and my experience in pub matches.

Scenario:

I entered a match in which, within 4-6 minutes, my team was down 8 players to their 2 players. Within minutes after that I was the only player left on my team fighting against 10 of the opposing team. At that point I had a few options open to me fight and get swarmed and die like I have done before or chose to power down to avoid losing my mech. I went with powering down to see If I could live. My team then starts crying that they are going to tell the enemy where I am because they do not want to wait for the match to finish.

my Question is:

Why put a power down option in the game if all the players are going to do is whine about it when you utilize it? I chose to utilize this option and was reported for actions that were detrimental to game player experience.

To me MechWarrior is a tactics based game were you actions help your team win or lose. where
your choice in mech determines you style of game play weather you are a flanker or dsp boat or how you need to move in formation so you don't die. And not to suicide your mech just because you team has lost all of theirs.

But the game play I experienced in that match was like speed ball / paint ball play were people move up fire and try to kill as many as possible before they die no tactics and group effort at all then crying about having to wait because one or there team mates dose not want to die so fast

So MechWarrior's what do you think did I not play fair? or do you think powering down should be a ban able offence! if it is a ban able offence do you think the game maker should remove the option to power down ?

Edited by Khârn, 29 October 2014 - 11:58 AM.

#2 Josef Nader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:02 PM

Powering down has tactical uses, and I have seen it used very cleverly in game. I once watched a badly damaged mech power down among several burning wrecks and get passed by as the enemy team stomped off to go hunt him down. He then sprinted off and capped the enemy base for a win.

I've seen 4 mans set up ambushes by hiding small mechs in nooks and crannies and powering up after the main line passed them by.

There are a lot of interesting things you can do with powering down your mech that have nothing to do with padding stats.

Hiding in a corner and powering down is extremely rude, as you lock your teammate's mechs until the match is over. Forcing them to wait the full 15 minutes because you don't want another death on your score card is very much a faux pas. Most of us only get an hour or so a night to play, and not being able to play the mech I want because someone is padding their stats is supremely frustrating.

Besides, you should have been with your team and supporting them in the fight. Even if you're completely weaponless, burning up your mech to give your teammates an opening can and will save the match for your team.

Edited by Josef Nader, 29 October 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#3 LORD TSARKON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 776 posts
  • LocationButtmunch City

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:10 PM

Is it against the TOS.... no... I believe it is not a bannable offense...

How did you use it? (To piss both enemy and teammate and had no tactical advantage)..

It was a D-Bag move.... and honestly posting it here to try to explain why the game makers put something in the game and get yelled out for using it.... you should have known better. (anygame you do this is frown upon)...

in my opinion... if you dont want to suicide but there is no tactical way for you to win (i.e. 1 vs 10)... then just Press ESC and then exit the match... and find another match... Being a Troll and making everyone else wait is a troll move

#4 Illicit Activitie

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:15 PM

I did not do it to be a troll I did it to try and live that all. And to be honest I seen it done before by other players

#5 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

View PostKhârn, on 29 October 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

But the game play I experienced in that match was like speed ball / paint ball play were people move up fire and try to kill as many as possible before they die no tactics and group effort at all

I think you're trolling now. If you play speed ball like this, then you end up in the same situation that you found yourself in that mwo game.

What do you do in speedball if your opponent crosses up at the back stand-ups, and make an aggressive push to dominate the X and snake on the break while the back players hose down the field to cover them? Oh wait, no one uses tactics or team play right?

You gain no advantage other than trolling out the end of the game, if you run and hide as the last mech. The only legit non-bugged situation I can think of where this is acceptable is when on conquest and you're ahead by points, and shutting down to survive allows your team to win by cap. Outside of that there's no purpose to it other than to troll or preserve your precious K:D ratio.

If you never look for tactics or team play, or if you never try to play that way, you'll never see or recognize it when it happens.

#6 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:47 PM

View PostKhârn, on 29 October 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

To open this it not a rant about the game maker it is a discussion about game play and
and what should be allowed in the game or not allowed in game and my experience in pub matches.

Scenario:

I entered a match in which, within 4-6 minutes, my team was down 8 players to their 2 players. Within minutes after that I was the only player left on my team fighting against 10 of the opposing team. At that point I had a few options open to me fight and get swarmed and die like I have done before or chose to power down to avoid losing my mech. I went with powering down to see If I could live. My team then starts crying that they are going to tell the enemy where I am because they do not want to wait for the match to finish.

my Question is:

Why put a power down option in the game if all the players are going to do is whine about it when you utilize it? I chose to utilize this option and was reported for actions that were detrimental to game player experience.

To me MechWarrior is a tactics based game were you actions help your team win or lose. where
your choice in mech determines you style of game play weather you are a flanker or dsp boat or how you need to move in formation so you don't die. And not to suicide your mech just because you team has lost all of theirs.

But the game play I experienced in that match was like speed ball / paint ball play were people move up fire and try to kill as many as possible before they die no tactics and group effort at all then crying about having to wait because one or there team mates dose not want to die so fast

So MechWarrior's what do you think did I not play fair? or do you think powering down should be a ban able offence! if it is a ban able offence do you think the game maker should remove the option to power down ?

How was powering down your mech a tactic that helped your team win? In fact by powering down you ensured the other team would win.

As for the gameplay? I blame the PokeMech attitude most players have. The constant purchasing and 'leveling' of mechs makes players worry about their Cbill/hour rate. So instead of using tactics (bad communication tools factor into this as well) players race to where they know the enemy will be, attack the enemy, then drop into the next match.

#7 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

View PostKhârn, on 29 October 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:

I did not do it to be a troll I did it to try and live that all. And to be honest I seen it done before by other players

To live? What reason is there to live? If there was still repair and rearm cost, you could make a case for it, but that is not in the game so "living" is pointless. You play to win, if you feel you can't win then you concede which in this game means getting yourself killed so the match can end. Powering down and hiding just to "live" is trolling and frowned upon by everybody.

Also you've seen it done by others? Really? Have you seen others teamkill? How about you try that next... I'm not sure if you are just trolling now...

#8 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

When a light mech can kill an assault in 3 seconds game are like this :)

#9 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

Is MWO a speed ball game? No, but it is a team based game. And the team that keeps cohesion and has chemistry will win the match most of the time. The team that gets strung out early on so the enemy team can hit 1/4 to 1/2 of its elements is going to lose. Most "fast" games I've been in are because one of the teams is scattered all over the place and doesn't realize it until they are down 4 mechs. Stay together and your odds of winning go up exponentially.

Sadly, many PUGs don't get this and won't get this. Such is life on the Internet.

As for shutting down and sitting out the match when you're the last guy, its a douchey move. Straight up.

Sometimes shutting down has tactical advantages, as others her have stated. Shutting on purpose is like a trick play in Football, you can't haul it out all the time, otherwise the surprise is spoiled.

Most of the times when I see someone shut down, they're being pouty children and are punishing the other 23 players for letting them down. You see, they had this awesome idea how the match would go if only the enemy would go to the spot the petulant child dreams of and if only the petulant child's team would just do whatever they say on coms and/or magically read the petulant child's mind and just be in the right spot. But no... their plan didn't survive contact with the enemy, and the PUGs had other ideas, and nobody paid attention to the bossy tool on coms, so that guy's gonna punish them all for not living up to their self-entitled expectations.

This is why I carry BAP when I can. I've found and killed quite a few petulant children pouting in a corner with it.

#10 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:55 PM

Get out there and die like a man instead of locking everyone's mechs for 5-10 minutes

That said, I have seen, and indeed been the guy, who is the last man and comes back to defeat the enemy team through some rockin' twist of fate. That said as well, to achieve that you need to grow a pair and get out there.

#11 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

Surviving, only to lose to time or cap is meaningless. You don't pay for repair and re-arm and you don't get any special prize for staying alive. No one is asking you to suicide, but it's a waste of your time and everyone elses to just hide at the end. As others said, it's extremely rude to lock 23 other mechs in a match that you have given up on. Just because there are other rude people out there doesn't give you an excuse to do it.

#12 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:01 PM

Hell you might even kill a mech or two and earn some extra dough before you're rocked by a whole team's worth of LRMs :lol:

#13 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:03 PM

If you "try to live" in order to preserve or improve your KDR (kill/death ratio), that makes you a Troll. What's worse is KDR does not reliably show who's a better pilot and pursuing it leads to bad behavior. Details here.

#14 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:12 PM

Powering down would be useful if it increased your heat dissipation rate or something. Like if it shuts down all of your systems except the heatsinks. Otherwise, there's little point to it. .

#15 Illicit Activitie

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

I did not try to live to improve my stats k/d ratio I did it just to live is all. seen other people do it and to be honest I got tired of whelp teams dieing off no mater what I do to help. it still make me cry when you tell someone not to go over the hill or they will die and wait for the other team to push and they still go I did not think it was a troll but after reading most the post I guess it not appropriate to try and live

and fyi I only ever done this 1 time power down to try and live

Edited by Khârn, 29 October 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#16 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:19 PM

I power down all the time, as a way to trick enemies and catch them off guard. You'd be surprised how often enemies will walk past a powered down mech if it's missing a component, so it looks dead. You just have to be clever about it.

I'd be really upset if they removed the ability to power down.

#17 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:22 PM

View PostKhârn, on 29 October 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

and fyi I only ever done this 1 time power down to try and live

If you only did it once, then no problem. Everyone makes mistakes and learns from them.

#18 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:23 PM

Let me repeat this for the benefit of everyone ...

If you had willfully participated in the match and now find yourself the last mech standing on your team, you have every right to preserve yourself in any way you want. Your team has no say in it; they're already dead. The enemy team has no say in it, other than finding and killing you of course. And so whatever you decide to do -- power down, hide, keep on running to avoid the enemy -- is not a reportable offense. I repeat, whatever you decide to do is not a reportable offense.

Your motive for doing so does not matter. I repeat, your motive for doing so does not matter.

Your team mates died. Tough.

The enemy wants the last kill? Then they have to earn that last kill by finding and killing you.

Everyone agreed to sign up for a match that can potentially last for 15 minutes. As such, anyone who does not wish to wait until the full 15 minutes are up can always leave the match.

Also, to anyone who has to wait for their favorite mech to be released from the match, I have but one suggestion: Get a second, third, or even fourth mech of the same chassis variant. That's the end of that particular problem.

PGI should just really keep a sticky on this topic, or explicitly state it in their COC.

Now I'm off to give myself a cookie. I need the sugar anyway. :D

Edited by Mystere, 29 October 2014 - 01:28 PM.

#19 Illicit Activitie

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:34 PM

just wondering why did the game maker give me a warring not to do it again if it is legal? or did they just warn me because people reported me ? for powering down

#20 Dragomir Zelenka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 168 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:36 PM

On the one hand, powering down and trying to wait out 10 minutes wastes 23 other people's time.

On the other hand, if 11 of those 23 hadn't (90% of the time) been absolutely terrible, they wouldn't have to be sitting there waiting. Lately I've been enough matches with 11 teammates who probably couldn't successfully destroy a disconnected mech that my patience is gone. Since they can't kill a mech, they deserve to have to kill time.

On the other, other hand, it's still not something I'd do. If only because I'd rather not waste my own time.

Edited by Dragomir Zelenka, 29 October 2014 - 01:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users