Is Mechwarrior Online Just A Speed Ball Match ?

Gameplay Social

142 replies to this topic

#21 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

I once accidentally powered down in the middle of the enemy team (by overheating after shooting someone) and had the entire team ignore me. That was a WTF moment.

...dragging out the end of a match is annoying to the team that won. Most of the dead teammates probably already moved on.

If you have weapons left, you should try to sneak around and get a kill or two -- people will often spread out to try to find you.

If you don't have weapons... well, running out the time and losing still doesn't help your side. You let the enemies capture your mech intact and take you prisoner to interrogate with waterboarding. You lose EXTRA. :P

#22 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostKhârn, on 29 October 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

just wondering why did the game maker give me a warring not to do it again if it is legal? or did they just warn me because people reported me ? for powering down

It could just be that you were reported by several people, and the game master who took your case is not fully familiar with the rules.

I myself have never received any such warning on the occasions where I hid to wait for opportunities that never came (Yeah, right! ;)), even after threats of being reported.

View Postterrycloth, on 29 October 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

You let the enemies capture your mech intact and take you prisoner to interrogate with waterboarding. You lose EXTRA. :P

That is what a pistol is for. ;)

#23 Illicit Activitie

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:58 PM

well I did make a support ticket to clear this up I will not do it again with out a gm approval I don't want to break any rules in the game and I don't want to troll any one I just want to play and try to win and live is all

#24 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:04 PM

powering down, just to "hide" is pretty lame.... its not against the rules, but it does tick everybody off...

to the other people, don't call out their location, thats reportable. don't harrass them....again...reportable.
shutting down and hiding like a coward...not reportable...not cool, but not reportable, wait it out, drop in another mech, get a soda, go take a dump. whatever.

i have seen shutting down and setting ambushes used to great effect by the last player. he hid in the city amongst some wrecked mechs, powered down, waited until everyone got spread out, and started picking them off, when he thought they were on his trail, he'd find another good spot and power down again....this....was an awesome use of powering down, he also had ECM going for him....ended up dying, but he took 3-4 of them out as the last mech standing....mad skilz. can't remember that pilots name now....i digress....

we can't stop you, but really...please don't unless you have a plan....your KDR isnt a good enough reason to the rest of us.

#25 Xmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:11 PM

I will fight until the end when still armed. I also will hide and shutdown if I'm unarmed. And yeah, I'm preserving my kd/r when I shutdown. I pilot assaults and heavys. I judge my performance based on my w/l and kd/r.

You go right ahead a lay down and get shot down like a dog if you want to. I won't do it. I refuse to surrender.

It is human nature wanting to survive, even in a online video game.

Edited by Xmith, 29 October 2014 - 02:13 PM.

#26 DYSEQTA

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 347 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:20 PM

View PostKhârn, on 29 October 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

well I did make a support ticket to clear this up I will not do it again with out a gm approval I don't want to break any rules in the game and I don't want to troll any one I just want to play and try to win and live is all

I think the spirit of what Khârn is saying makes much more sense and has a real place if you put it into the context of Community Warfare.

Wait for CW Khârn. I think you will find that it will match your expectataions of MWO play far more than the cod-in-mechs style play we have at the moment.

#27 Illicit Activitie

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:28 PM

again I did not do it for k/d I did just to stay alive I could care less about k/d but what I do care about is staying alive I don't think I should have to whelp if all my team dies off. me I like to live if I die fight ok but fighting 8 to 10 mechs with 1 is a normal no win unless you a super pilot. but for me I played the beta then took a long break been back 3 weeks now and love the game.

I agree with you when that starts I think people won't frown on power down to live if your mech gets locked out for a week in cw

#28 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:43 PM

View PostKhârn, on 29 October 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

again I did not do it for k/d I did just to stay alive I could care less about k/d but what I do care about is staying alive ...
What's the point in staying alive? Either you're tactically hiding and waiting for an opportunity to come out and scrape a kill or more, you're waiting for conquest cap, or you're padding your K/D. Those are literally the only three reasons to shutdown and hide, and if you're not claiming one of them, then I have as much a right to whine about it as you do to shutdown and hide.

If you want to pad your K/D, I'm perfectly fine with that. It's silly, but I understand, go ahead and pad, I can wait or move on no problem. But if that's not your goal, then what is?

Edited by Tarogato, 29 October 2014 - 02:45 PM.

#29 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:47 PM

If it's down to me and 10 mechs on the enemy team, I just try to find one to take down with me before my mech goes boom and then I can move on to the next game. If I have no weapons then the closest mech to me gets the kill. It really doesn't matter if I die, not like I get less cbills or XPs.

Guess if there was a real benefit to survival vs. loss I'd endorse the tactic above.

Of course if you want to be a real DB, you shut down then disconnect so you can find another match while the enemy is wasting its time looking for you. But then you'd be a real DB. Just saying.

#30 Illicit Activitie

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:48 PM

call it personal pride then I don't see the point to die just so people can respawn and use the same mech faster

don't get me wrong if it possible to win I will try to win over shutting down but I am not the best pilot so if it 10v 1 its a no win for me

Edited by Khârn, 29 October 2014 - 02:50 PM.

#31 Josef Nader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:48 PM

Scraping an enemy with a laser for a single point of damage and exploding instantly pays out more than "surviving" the end of the match, so I fail to understand what the point of surviving the match is unless, as Tarogato said, you're trying to win Conquest, padding K/D, or setting up an ambush.

Padding K/D isn't against the rules, but it's a faux pas, and you will get a mountain of insults for it. Like I said before, sometimes, I want to play a specific mech (even if I have 99 others waiting in my mechbays), and locking me out of it for the sake of your K/D is meaningless and annoying. Not against the rules, but annoying.

#32 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:57 PM

Eh, I am mixed on this subject. Every now and then somebody can fight against the odds and pull victory from defeat as the sole survivor of a bad roll.... but it has become very rare, and nowadays if there are more than 3 enemies left I do get kind of irritated because chances are you aren't going to win, and also....

....chances are you should have been trying harder to fight at the beginning of the match, instead of believing there is some miraculous way you are going to survive by yourself for several minutes and pull out a win after your whole team gets munched.

And yeah, meanwhile the rest of us could be playing another match instead of watching "run and hide moar guy" burn our time up. (which in addition to the time/money aspect, can just be some downright terrible gameplay to "spectate" if "run and hide moar guy" isn't fighting at all.)

Edited by Pygar, 29 October 2014 - 03:26 PM.

#33 Illicit Activitie

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:06 PM

piloting a light mech I live by shoot move and relay Intel to the team if you are a light mech you cant stop moving or you die

#34 SweetJackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 968 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

Powering down and hiding to live, just to not die? No, never acceptable. Giving up and dragging the same out to try to prevent yourself from just getting a negative mark on a stat no one can see? That's practically a form of griefing and I do believe it is a reportable offense as you are in essence punishing the winning team for doing well.

Doing so for a tactical reason, perfectly fine. Even in skirmish you can hide and shut down to get them to spread out and make themselves more vulnerable as they lessen the advantage of numbers to cover more ground and possibly desire to get solo credit against you.

No matter your weight, if you are continuing the fight then any tactic that works within the rules set by the game is allowed. The game isn't over until the objectives are completed.

#35 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:15 PM

View PostKhârn, on 29 October 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

piloting a light mech I live by shoot move and relay Intel to the team if you are a light mech you cant stop moving or you die

Staying moving is one thing...running from the fight is another. If you are frequently the last person on your team alive, and/or especially if you are frequently nowhere near your team (or the enemy) when they get munched by the bad guys...you might have a "running away like a sissy" problem and are probably not really doing that good of a job as a scout.

Edited by Pygar, 29 October 2014 - 03:20 PM.

#36 Illicit Activitie

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:18 PM

Why do you think that way so if the other team is down and out they have to fight a loosing battle ?
or is it ok to have then not to power down and run around the other team and hide powered up ?

Edited by Khârn, 29 October 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#37 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:21 PM

Powering down can be rarely useful for ambush tactics, or more frequently if you have a NARC attached to you then powering down will stop it from working, and of course if your mech overheats it tends to shut down then as well.

If you just shut down against overwhelming odds and don't even try to do anything then what is the point of that other than wasting everybody's time so that you can be a stubborn chump? Yes, it is annoying if all you're doing is stalling for time because you're tying up peoples' mechs in the process, and they just want the match to be over so they can try another match with the mech they dropped in.

Edited by Pjwned, 29 October 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#38 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:23 PM

Just had a guy do this for almost 9 minutes and found him before time ran out and killed him.

#39 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:25 PM

View PostKhârn, on 29 October 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

Why do you think that way so if the other team is down and out they have to fight a loosing battle ?
or is it ok to have then not to power down and run around the other team and hide powered up ?

If you're still up and your team has exploded, you are the one who made the mistake. Outside of a small handful of situations (I remember one game where myself and a friend destroyed 6 enemy mechs between the two of us in Awesomes, completely unsupported by our team, only to end up the last ones on our team alive as the remaining enemy mechs hunted us down), if your team was stomped and you are still alive and kicking, you were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and contributed to your team's defeat. Unless you've almost completely capped the base on Assault, or are scoring caps on Conquest, there is no reason to be that far out of position from your team.

Even if you see your team committing a boneheaded manuver, support them. I've seen many idiotic plays work out just fine largely because the enemy team never expected them and our team committed to the stupidity.

And again, you get far more rewards for fighting together with your team and exploding spectacularly than running around trying to preserve your mech and "live" to the end of the match. This game is built to encourage us to fight each other. There's no real reward for not engaging.

There's nothing wrong with fighting smart, using hit and fade tactics, kiting, and whatnot. You just need to be fighting as hard as you can, even if your team is losing.

#40 Illicit Activitie

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:33 PM

so you would follow the team no matter were they go or what they do ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users