Is Mechwarrior Online Just A Speed Ball Match ?

Gameplay Social

142 replies to this topic

#41 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:36 PM

Sigh! People just don't get it. It does not matter whether you like it or not. It's a legitimate move. That should be the end of it.

#42 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:40 PM

View PostMystere, on 29 October 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

Let me repeat this for the benefit of everyone ...

If you had willfully participated in the match and now find yourself the last mech standing on your team, you have every right to preserve yourself in any way you want. Your team has no say in it; they're already dead. The enemy team has no say in it, other than finding and killing you of course. And so whatever you decide to do -- power down, hide, keep on running to avoid the enemy -- is not a reportable offense. I repeat, whatever you decide to do is not a reportable offense.

Your motive for doing so does not matter. I repeat, your motive for doing so does not matter.

Your team mates died. Tough.

The enemy wants the last kill? Then they have to earn that last kill by finding and killing you.

Everyone agreed to sign up for a match that can potentially last for 15 minutes. As such, anyone who does not wish to wait until the full 15 minutes are up can always leave the match.

Also, to anyone who has to wait for their favorite mech to be released from the match, I have but one suggestion: Get a second, third, or even fourth mech of the same chassis variant. That's the end of that particular problem.

PGI should just really keep a sticky on this topic, or explicitly state it in their COC.

Now I'm off to give myself a cookie. I need the sugar anyway. :D

Did you even read the COC before posting it? It states explicitly that "
  • Persistent non-participation in core game mechanics.
" is considered griefing/non-participation. And I'm pretty sure someone powered down till the clock runs down is not participating

Unless of course it's Conquest with your team leading in points and you're the last man standing

Edited by knightsljx, 29 October 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#43 Josef Nader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

View PostKhârn, on 29 October 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

so you would follow the team no matter were they go or what they do ?

Yes, because they are your only hope of winning. You cannot, and will not win this game solo. Even if your team is making a really dumb move, they are literally your only hope of winning.

Support them as best as you can, and fight hard to the last.

That said, you can venture out of the immediate murderball if you have the speed to foray and try to peck at the enemy team's rear, but the simple fact of the matter is that if your team is fighting, you need to be fighting. If you aren't out there dealing damage and taking hits, that is one less mech the enemy team is worrying about and one less mech the enemy team needs to focus on.

#44 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:45 PM

View Postknightsljx, on 29 October 2014 - 03:40 PM, said:

Did you even read the COC before posting it? It states explicitly that "
  • Persistent non-participation in core game mechanics.
" is considered griefing/non-participation. And I'm pretty sure someone powered down till the clock runs down is participating

Did you read the clarifications given by the game masters and moderators? There is a very good reason why I said:

View PostMystere, on 29 October 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

PGI should just really keep a sticky on this topic, or explicitly state it in their COC.

This has been discussed before ... a whole lot of times.

#45 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:49 PM

View PostKhârn, on 29 October 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

so you would follow the team no matter were they go or what they do ?

Yes, it's called "deathballing". It's what the other team was doing so well to make your team disappear in the first 6 minutes of the match...it wins games, wins tournaments, and now in the new reward system will earn you more Cbills and XP than skittering off by yourself trying to be a ninja.

If you are "scouting" you should be dropping UAVs and artillery right on top of the bad guys, putting TAG and NARC on them (TAG and NARC help direct fire mechs too) or using your ECM to counter theirs, using your weapons to help cut the other teams armor down, looking for crippled enemies you can kill by yourself, using your ECM (and maybe AMS) to cover your team from the enemy, and purposely trying to get the enemy to shoot you while they ignore your DPS mechs. (or in some cases, baiting them into chasing you right into your teams DPS mechs)

If you are spending large portions of time in the match running around in open and unimportant parts of the map while your team gets munched, you are doing it wrong....you don't always have to be right next to the death ball, but you should never be that far away from your team either.

As an aside- this subject is why I prefer Assaults to other game modes- because if you end up with a "runner" at the end of the match you do have the option to possibly just sack the other teams base instead of trying to play hide and seek.

Edited by Pygar, 29 October 2014 - 03:59 PM.

#46 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:53 PM

View PostMystere, on 29 October 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

Sigh! People just don't get it. It does not matter whether you like it or not. It's a legitimate move. That should be the end of it.

That may be, but personally I'm still going to tell people off if the only thing they're achieving is wasting everybody's time. If somebody makes a thread about MUH TACTICS, which largely consists of doing jack **** and hiding away, then I'm going to say how annoying it is and how I have no sympathy for people that don't like it when people complain about it, which seems to be the problem in the OP.

Not saying that the universe centers around me, I'm objectively right, or even that it's against the rules (which seems debatable) but if you ask me I find it annoying and pointless to power down when you have no hope of winning whatsoever.

#47 Illicit Activitie

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:03 PM

like it hate it as long as it legal I am fine with it.

#48 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:10 PM

I just struggle to understand your justification.

If you're padding your KDR, just say so. Otherwise, there is donstrably no point and you are just being obnoxious for your own amusement.

#49 Illicit Activitie

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:21 PM

sorry if you think that way but I don't like to suicide my mech and yes 1v5 or more is suicide and I am not into trolling. everyone got there own standards in life this one is mine

#50 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:29 PM

Just because you stayed or strayed away and didn't die with the team doesn't give you a right to survive.

This game needs a surrender option so people can stay alive and matches can end peacefully without the witch hunting aggravation of powered down deserters.

#51 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:29 PM

So why would you sacrifice a larger payout and bigger rewards for your own pride? I just don't get it. There is no bonus to money, XP, or reputation for surviving a match. What is the point?

You would make more money and experience charging right into the middle of that group, firing your weapons once, and exploding instantly, by a wide margin. Dying in a video game won't kill you, you know. It just frees you up to get to the next match faster, so you can actually try and improve at this game, or maybe get a decent team.

#52 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:31 PM

View PostKhârn, on 29 October 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

To open this it not a rant about the game maker it is a discussion about game play and
and what should be allowed in the game or not allowed in game and my experience in pub matches.

Scenario:

I entered a match in which, within 4-6 minutes, my team was down 8 players to their 2 players. Within minutes after that I was the only player left on my team fighting against 10 of the opposing team. At that point I had a few options open to me fight and get swarmed and die like I have done before or chose to power down to avoid losing my mech. I went with powering down to see If I could live. My team then starts crying that they are going to tell the enemy where I am because they do not want to wait for the match to finish.

my Question is:

Why put a power down option in the game if all the players are going to do is whine about it when you utilize it? I chose to utilize this option and was reported for actions that were detrimental to game player experience.

To me MechWarrior is a tactics based game were you actions help your team win or lose. where
your choice in mech determines you style of game play weather you are a flanker or dsp boat or how you need to move in formation so you don't die. And not to suicide your mech just because you team has lost all of theirs.

But the game play I experienced in that match was like speed ball / paint ball play were people move up fire and try to kill as many as possible before they die no tactics and group effort at all then crying about having to wait because one or there team mates dose not want to die so fast

So MechWarrior's what do you think did I not play fair? or do you think powering down should be a ban able offence! if it is a ban able offence do you think the game maker should remove the option to power down ?

Powering down will break missile locks, so it does have its use. I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that it also improves your cooling efficiency.

Powering down when your team has been annihilated is a useful tactic for pulling out a win against superior numbers. However, there is a line between tactics and courtesy. If there truly were ten Mechs on the enemy team, then powering down to divide them up won't work very well since they will still have enough map coverage to react to your reappearance quickly. On top of that, there's no way you can win against ten Mechs, so you're really just delaying the match and aggravating all the other players.

That being said, if there are up to four Mechs, and if the map is large enough, then powering down is a viable tactic. Just be sure to let your teammates know so that they don't think you are hiding for the rest of the match. If they tell Red Team where you are located, then that is a reportable offense.

As far as speed ball goes, I think you'll find that the speed ball teams are the ones that lose. If you try to run and gun this game, then you are destined to fail. This is much more of a thinking game where you need to plot your movements and firing solutions in your head to maximize your damage output while minimizing the damage you receive. This is especially true for the team as an overall body. Speedballing a MechWarrior match will most likely result in ROFLStomp against your team.

#53 Fishbulb333

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:33 PM

"Is Mechwarrior Online Just A Speed Ball Match ?"

Nope.

This -

Posted Image

is a speed ball match.

Edited by Fishbulb333, 29 October 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#54 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostXetelian, on 29 October 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

Just because you stayed or strayed away and didn't die with the team doesn't give you a right to survive.

Of course he does, silly.

View PostXetelian, on 29 October 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

This game needs a surrender option so people can stay alive and matches can end peacefully without the witch hunting aggravation of powered down deserters.

Surrender option? No.

I would prefer a withdrawal option. But, that too can be subject to abuse.

Edited by Mystere, 29 October 2014 - 04:39 PM.

#55 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

Again, surrendering and withdrawing without any continuity between matches makes no sense and only encourages people to not put 100% into helping their team win. It was like back when R&R was in the game, and people would avoid fighting the enemy team so they could pad their earnings and avoid costly repairs.

No, fight it out and die. There's no reason not to, and you can be damn sure the enemy team is gonna fight it out to the last man. Show no mercy, because you get none.

#56 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:47 PM

I once powered down in a medium, had a DW walk straight past then cored it in the rear.

Another time, I was in a light on conquest, got into heat and snuck into a nook and powered down - 6 mechs walked right past me. I then ran off and took the cap they just got.. ..it was enough to win the game!

#57 ollo

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:04 PM

If you can't win anymore, at least go down in a fire! (and perhaps take one or two enemies with you!)

edit: ...which i just did, trying to protect some moron assaults running (more slendering) off alone... -.-

Edited by ollo, 29 October 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#58 Illicit Activitie

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:58 PM

Hi there!

Thank you for your email and your support!

The ability to power down your 'Mech is intended as a counter-maneuver against things such as enemy detection, missile lock, and so on.
Powering down your 'Mech for the purpose of letting the clock run out and maintaining your K/D ratio does not fall within the intended spirit of the shutdown mechanic, and is considered an act of non-participation.
Besides, isn't it more fun for everyone, player and spectator alike, when you go out in a blaze of glory as the last 'Mech standing?

Best regards

Well people my ticket has been replied to and it is illegal to shut down to hide so I guess report people hiding from now on

#59 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:03 PM

View PostKhârn, on 29 October 2014 - 05:58 PM, said:

Hi there!

Thank you for your email and your support!

The ability to power down your 'Mech is intended as a counter-maneuver against things such as enemy detection, missile lock, and so on.
Powering down your 'Mech for the purpose of letting the clock run out and maintaining your K/D ratio does not fall within the intended spirit of the shutdown mechanic, and is considered an act of non-participation.
Besides, isn't it more fun for everyone, player and spectator alike, when you go out in a blaze of glory as the last 'Mech standing?

Best regards

Well people my ticket has been replied to and it is illegal to shut down to hide so I guess report people hiding from now on

Is it possible to give the name of the support person responding? I have another that says quite the opposite. :wacko:

We want to make sure this is not a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

Edited by Mystere, 29 October 2014 - 06:04 PM.

#60 Illicit Activitie

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:07 PM

Really well
GM_Patience
Piranha Games was the one that filled my ticket

if that helps

right now I am going with what the gm mailed me but if you get something different please post it

Edited by Khârn, 29 October 2014 - 06:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users