Is Mechwarrior Online Just A Speed Ball Match ?

Gameplay Social

142 replies to this topic

#81 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:29 PM

I suspect I've been reported for "griefing" many times with the "you must eat a gauss to the face for my convenience" attitude too many players have. I have made sure with Devs and Mods on the subject multiple times. The answer is the same.

If you move with the apparent intent to engage, fire one shot at a target, do a point of damage, move in an obviously intelligent manner, visit a cap you have participated and are not violating CoC if you go off and hide or have to leave to deal with a crying baby or a dog on the roof, or car driving through the back porch...

The fact that the other 11 players failed YOU does not give them claim over your playstyle. If they don't have another mech, they have a trial mech. If they don't WANT to play another mech, then that's just tough toenails. That is THEIR choice. What they can't do is become a traitor to their team. What would be REALLY nice is when loyalty points are assigned you could be called a traitor and barred from missions in CW till you have no factions left to play for.

This assumes a secondary level of punishment short of banning someone outright.

Anyway... my two bits from 1792 adjusted for inflation.

#82 Illicit Activitie

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:30 PM

just like any rule people read it and try to play the game as they see the rule. to me it meant play you best when you join a match don't just join and walk away from your pc. but my understanding of the rule never told me I cant power down to hide when death was certain in the match.

#83 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:31 PM

View PostAresye, on 29 October 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

Guess what happens when an evaluator comes and tells me what he thinks is the best way to organize the flight jackets for pilots flying at my squadron? I wait until it's officially changed in the publications, very specifically, the OPNAVINST 3710.7U instruction, because while the evaluator can clarify certain elements of the instruction and make recommendations, I am still legally required and responsible for following that instruction, until such time those recommendations are implemented in an updated version of that instruction.

Well aren't we all lucky we're in a video game and not the air force? :rolleyes:

In other words, it doesn't really matter if you go from dev to dev until one of them is sympathetic to your view. Until it's changed in the actual CoC, it's pretty much clear as day that this is in violation of it. If it wasn't, the OP wouldn't have gotten a warning from support.

Isn't that what my support ticket is supposed to get -- an official clarification?

PGI's history has already shown cases of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. The mixed messages issued so far on the matter are just samples of that.

l2policy

LearnToTellTheDifferenceBetweenAVideoGameAndTheMilitary

:lol:

Edited by Mystere, 29 October 2014 - 07:33 PM.

#84 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:36 PM

View PostMystere, on 29 October 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

Well aren't we all lucky we're in a video game and not the air force? :rolleyes:

Isn't that what my support ticket is supposed to get -- an official clarification?

PGI's history has already shown cases of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. The mixed messages issued so far on the matter are just samples of that.

LearnToTellTheDifferenceBetweenAVideoGameAndTheMilitary

:lol:

I think you're on just to be argumentative

Last man standing should fight to the death not hide until the round is over...

#85 Dauntless Blint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPlaying other games.

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:39 PM

My thought's are everyone get over it!,nah but seriously if theres nothing to gain it's courteous to die fighting in some practice clutch play before being mobbed to death,if you make the team wait 10 minute's for a match to finish on account of you being the only one alive it's just lame.On the other hand if you just got you arse handed to you and dead and the last guy is fighting hard for his life(I emphasize fighting)maybe you can learn something from that.If you can split the enemy and get the drop on them one by one your chance's go up drastically.

Edited by CorditeJunkie, 29 October 2014 - 07:39 PM.

#86 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:41 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 29 October 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

What would be REALLY nice is when loyalty points are assigned you could be called a traitor and barred from missions in CW till you have no factions left to play for.

This assumes a secondary level of punishment short of banning someone outright.

I'll be on board that suggestion in a jiffy.

Alternatively, PGI can implement a feature in which a player's prior treachery is announced at the start of a match. That should instigate some interesting possibilities once the match gets into gear. <maniacal :lol: :lol: :lol:>

#87 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:42 PM

View PostKhârn, on 29 October 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

just like any rule people read it and try to play the game as they see the rule. to me it meant play you best when you join a match don't just join and walk away from your pc. but my understanding of the rule never told me I cant power down to hide when death was certain in the match.

Right. There is no rule against making those fatlases and Dire Whales work for their kills. Can't find the powered down mech or ECM spider? Shoulda brought BAP now, shouldn't you? Or as some keep telling me, Mk1 Eyeballs work just fine. Guy finds a hiding spot for the 11-0 moral victory that the other team can't get because they're the cat in the tree to their dog pack? Again, tough toenails. Figure a way to get him or shoulda played assault or conquest now, shouldn't you have?

#88 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:43 PM

View PostXetelian, on 29 October 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

Nope. What I want is an official clarification from PGI. In the meantime, I'll continue my merry ways. :P

Edited by Mystere, 29 October 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#89 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:43 PM

View PostXetelian, on 29 October 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

Wait... this is a surprise to you? ;) :ph34r:

And no to this stupid honor duel crap. I'm waiting for reinforcements to arrive if I can.

Edited by Kjudoon, 29 October 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#90 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

View PostMystere, on 29 October 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

There WAS official clarification.

OP got a message from support saying, "Don't do that."

Clear as day. There is no misinterpretation. Hiding and powering down is against the rules according to support.

You're just doing the classic mom and pop until someone eventually gives you the answer you want.

#91 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:57 PM

View PostAresye, on 29 October 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

There WAS official clarification.

OP got a message from support saying, "Don't do that."

Clear as day. There is no misinterpretation. Hiding and powering down is against the rules according to support.

You're just doing the classic mom and pop until someone eventually gives you the answer you want.

Nope, because as I have said previously, others got the opposite. And so again, we have a Left Hand - Right Hand situation.

An official clarification is something that is widely disseminated preferably a sticky or as an unambiguous statement as part of the CoC. A personal note to a single player is not.

Edited by Mystere, 29 October 2014 - 07:59 PM.

#92 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:28 PM

View PostMystere, on 29 October 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

Lol! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really can't imagine why players can't just quit the match instead of watching and waiting and getting upset while doing so. :wacko:

BECAUSE THE MECH YOU DROPPED IN ISN'T AVAILABLE AGAIN UNTIL THE MATCH IS OVER

Not hard to understand in the least why people get annoyed if somebody is doing nothing but wasting time.

I can't understand how people just ignore every single consequence, not just to them but to everybody else in the match, and then wonder why people get annoyed when they shut down and don't do anything except hide until the clock runs out.

Edited by Pjwned, 30 October 2014 - 06:29 PM.

#93 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:14 PM

View PostPjwned, on 30 October 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

BECAUSE THE MECH YOU DROPPED IN ISN'T AVAILABLE AGAIN UNTIL THE MATCH IS OVER

Not hard to understand in the least why people get annoyed if somebody is doing nothing but wasting time.

I can't understand how people just ignore every single consequence, not just to them but to everybody else in the match, and then wonder why people get annoyed when they shut down and don't do anything except hide until the clock runs out.

That's so much anger. :o

If you're so impatient to wait, there is a solution. Just get a duplicate second mech, or third, or fourth, or use another mech, or a trial mech. Simple and no aggravation required.

Edited by Mystere, 30 October 2014 - 07:18 PM.

#94 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:47 PM

View PostMystere, on 30 October 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

That's so much anger. :o

If you're so impatient to wait, there is a solution. Just get a duplicate second mech, or third, or fourth, or use another mech, or a trial mech. Simple and no aggravation required.

It's not really anger so much as annoyance, especially when you say LOL I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE ARE ANNOYED ABOUT THIS XDDD when it should be abundantly clear, and as far as getting duplicate mechs that's not always a good option for everybody.

Aside from having duplicate mechs, why should my choice of mechs to pilot be limited just because somebody is pointlessly wasting time? I understand why my mech is locked if the game is still in progress, the problem is the players who needlessly drag out the match with no hope of accomplishing anything.

Edited by Pjwned, 30 October 2014 - 08:53 PM.

#95 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:50 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 29 October 2014 - 07:43 PM, said:

Wait... this is a surprise to you? ;) :ph34r:

And no to this stupid honor duel crap. I'm waiting for reinforcements to arrive if I can.

Except you can't. No reinforcements will ever come, and no amount of effort you put into it will change the fact that this is an arena shooter with no continuity. Stop wasting everyone's time.

If you don't want to hand a kill to the enemy team, run off the map and suicide. Bam, you just roleplayed retreating, and now everyone can go on their merry way. You didn't lose face by sacrificing yourself to the enemy team and we can all go play another round.

#96 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:40 PM

View PostMystere, on 30 October 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

Ah, so somewhere between 11-22 players have to pick a different mech, or an entirely different chassis, or a trial mech, because a single player wants to not participate in the game?

What about those players who are grinding a specific chassis? What are they supposed to do? Now that single player is affecting that other player's ability to grind their mech, and make an already lengthy process that much longer.

And let's be clear, this isn't some player shutting down for a tactical reason. This is simply a player that doesn't want to die, whether that's for purposes of preserving their KDR, or because they're too much of a p**** to die in a video game. Obviously some players will shutdown for tactical purposes, but often their positions are called out because so many players run off and hide.

#97 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:00 PM

View PostJosef Nader, on 30 October 2014 - 08:50 PM, said:

Except you can't. No reinforcements will ever come, and no amount of effort you put into it will change the fact that this is an arena shooter with no continuity. Stop wasting everyone's time.

If you don't want to hand a kill to the enemy team, run off the map and suicide. Bam, you just roleplayed retreating, and now everyone can go on their merry way. You didn't lose face by sacrificing yourself to the enemy team and we can all go play another round.

Metaphorical reinforcements.

wasting YOUR time? How about wasting MY time by dying too soon instead of playing smarter? I'm not obligated to be stupid for your arrogant convenience you know.

Eliminate Out of Bounds penalties, and I will use that option when the need arises. That's the reason why only the ignorant and vindictive do it. I'll take my moral victory of making you work for killing me. And now you see why I won't play skirmish.

View PostAresye, on 30 October 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

often their positions are called out because so many players run off and hide.

Nothing finer than getting those players kicked out of MWO too. traitors are worse.

Edited by Kjudoon, 30 October 2014 - 10:00 PM.

#98 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:06 PM

I had a match similar to that on caustic the other day. It was conquest and I was in a Dire Wolf. IIRC I was in a 4 man group so we were fighting in the group queue. I don't remember if the enemy was a full 12 man or not. Anyway we started heading towards that capture point that is in the 'refinery' About halfway there we were down a couple mechs. By the time I reached the point I was the only mech left and this was around 2 minutes into the match. So I just found the closest route off the map and left. I took no damage that round and did no damage. I never saw an enemy mech. I recognized that this whole match was a bust and wanted to move onto the next match.

What gets me is the enemy team was all flabbergasted wondering why I did it. I guess they wanted me to go power down in a corner somewhere and make them hunt me down for several minutes or potentially for the full match timer. You just can't please some people.

EDIT: I suppose someone will complain that I was supposed to be with my team supporting them in a dire wolf. The problem is I was in a Dire wolf. They died so quickly that even had I started moving that direction at the start of the match I would have arrived when half of my team was dead.

Edited by ThomasMarik, 30 October 2014 - 10:07 PM.

#99 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:13 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 30 October 2014 - 10:00 PM, said:

wasting YOUR time? How about wasting MY time by dying too soon instead of playing smarter? I'm not obligated to be stupid for your arrogant convenience you know.

I've had my share of really bad teams. Just absolutely terribad teams, often ending up as the last one alive.

I think taking the moral victory would be showing your team you actually know how to play, vs. plain not playing. If they suck, show you're better by taking out at least a couple on the enemy team.

You aren't making the other team earn their kill by searching for you for half the game. That would imply you're a kill worth earning.

*Edit* Allow me to clarify that last statement before you take it as a personal attack.

If the other team had an option to end the match immediately or continue searching for the hidden mech, which do you think they would choose?

Aside from tournament weekends, I think most players would rather move on with their lives, hence, not worth the kill.

Edited by Aresye, 30 October 2014 - 10:23 PM.

#100 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:57 AM

They're allowed to leave match at any time. they've won, why stick around? Nothing will take their reward away. Maybe you could ask PGI to remove the mech lockout if the loss of less than 10 minutes of your life unless you managed to stomp the opposing team in under 5 minutes is that great an inconvenience. Otherwise, once they put this in place after CW starts, I will be using the Eject function the instant I feel the match is no longer worth participating in.

Show others how to play????? Nobody listens to training, advice or coaching anymore from anyone not in TS with them. If this were true, the Solo Queue would not be an infectious pit of rambotardia. I gave up trying to teach someone to play this game that isn't in teamspeak with me a long time ago after getting slapped in the face too often when giving advice. I turned off chat because I was sick of other people who did horribly advising a missile boat to play brawler or criticizing how I won the game. Sorry, I'm not that big of a man, or good enough of a role model and I'm not required to be either. I'm nobody's hero and have turned the other cheek after having enough. Now they're both are turned, my back is to them and I can walk away. So 'showing someone how to play' when there is no chance is a laughable concept to me.

I'll play to help the living not placate the dead.

And if you don't like my kind of player in your game, get PGI to make PvE content and you'll never have to deal with me again, I'll be paying into PGI's wallet to keep your game afloat too, and we'll both be happy.

Edited by Kjudoon, 31 October 2014 - 12:58 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users