Melee Weapons For Mechs

5 replies to this topic

#1 Kronoth

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:57 AM

I've been missing my favorite mech, the Hatchetman and was wondering if anyone else wanted to see melee damage other than ramming each other in the game? What's the hold up, does anyone know?

#2 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:45 AM

they could basically increase ramming damage, its a joke atm. I tired in testing ground to ram kill a catapult, after I cored it. I swear the damage it toook came form naturally rusting away.

every mehc should deal tonnage/10 damage when colliding with anothr mech above 40kph. that woudl stop all the suicidal runnign light craps, and it would also teahc some pugs the hard lessons of how to NOT cuddle each other.

#3 MrBlonde42

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 138 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:23 PM

A melee mechanic would be awesome, but it won't be in the game any time soon. PGI can't program the melee code in. I guess a miss would unbalance some mechs and cause them to fall down... but PGI can't program knockdown correctly.

#4 Kronoth

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:43 PM

So ramming needs an increase in damage to armor and internal structure. Have it scale based on speed and tonnage difference between the two mechs so both take damage just depends on who is moving faster and weighs more and the like. Would make the faster Assaults punters of Lights if they don't get out of the way though it'll tear up the leg armor of the Assault.

Perhaps on a miss instead of a fall it lowers speed temporarily like getting legged. Suddenly your top speed is 40 kph for tonnage/25 seconds so it's not so bad for a Light 1 to 1.4 seconds of slowness, then Medium would be 1.6 to 2.2 seconds and so on. Since the melee weapon has to be larger and heavier for each weight class of mech it makes sense the larger weapons would slow down the mech on a miss for longer so they could not easily pursue the enemy mech for continual melee damage. If they still wanted to have a mech fall down on a bad miss they could just set top speed to 0 for tonnage/10 seconds or tonnage/15 seconds depending on how long they want to simulate the mech regaining balance. Even lock torso rotation for a set period of time just like a shutdown so you can't spread damage as you get your mech back up.

Graphically it won't look like anything other than a kind of shutdown but it would be nice as a test to see if it would work.

#5 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:33 AM

A few Mechs could use this ability.

#6 BoloJoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 333 posts
  • LocationSt. Ives, Capital Apocalypse Lancers Compact

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:21 AM

Make melee combat only available for those mechs specially designed with a melee weapon (i.e. Hatchetman), it might be looked at as a quirk. The weapon would also take up space/tonnage that would be fixed (unable to be removed in the Mechlab).

It will be automatically available in your weapon groups as a attack with a range of 0-20m, maybe with crits on internal damage like machine guns. Also lose your arm and their goes your melee weapon. Won't have to worry about inflicting damage on your own mech since only the weapon will be hitting the enemy mech.

This will avoid all the problems with collisions/knockdowns and also enable the introduction of some unique mechs..

Edited by BoloJoe, 04 November 2014 - 06:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users