37 replies to this topic

#1 Grim DeGrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 118 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:42 PM

NSFW...some excitable discussion afterwards :)

#2 Jump Gunnington

• PipPip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 20 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:13 PM

Way to go! Glad I was able to be in the match to see it myself!

#3 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:45 AM

Congrats OP, you looked at a spot and pushed a key... I am in awe. Air/Arty needs to be implemented by drive by smoke pot or linked to TAG for skill element.

Edited by Ryokens leap, 30 October 2014 - 07:46 AM.

#4 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:54 AM

View PostRyokens leap, on 30 October 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

Congrats OP, you looked at a spot and pushed a key... I am in awe. Air/Arty needs to be implemented by drive by smoke pot or linked to TAG for skill element.

I bet you drive a Mad Cat or Ryoken don't you?

#5 Grim DeGrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 118 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:11 PM

Recognizing the opportunity, my good sir, is everything.

And luck. . Let's not overplay the skill piece, as that was not the point! Nay, the fact that a triple kill strike in MWO is rare was the point.

And you sound positively jealous :)

#6 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:53 PM

Air/arty is just another example of bad game mechanics implemented by PGI and goes hand in hand with C3 master computers stock in every chassis and ECM. I like to get kills the old fashioned way.

#7 Grim DeGrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 118 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:09 PM

View PostRyokens leap, on 30 October 2014 - 01:53 PM, said:

I like to get kills the old fashioned way.

Congrats OP, you looked at a spot and pushed a key...

... And you do that how...? Oh yeah, looking at a spot and pushing a button...

#8 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:41 PM

Whatever you need to tell urself friend. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that PGI should be embarrassed that they have a game mechanic that can kill 3 mechs without needing any kind of lock-on or accurate targeting, just in the general vicinity, push a key, c-bill withdrawal. I'm not QQing about being killed by A/A, I honestly don't think it's every got me, I just think it's douchy.

Edited by Ryokens leap, 30 October 2014 - 02:55 PM.

#9 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

Damn thats pretty sweet!

#10 Grim DeGrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 118 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:02 PM

I'm not even the pilot the took the shot. To me, it is a tool set used in conjunction with the rest of the team. Not about skill, but about application at the right time and a whole lotta luck.

You remind me of other purists that have debated artillery since it came to be.

No need to defend or prop up the kill. It was a shot that encorporated skill to know when to use the strike, the benefit of the team's combined efforts (someone damaged the Mechs before the strike), and a healthy dose of luck that it result is a kill (3 no less).

But 3 in one is something seldom seen. Marvel in that, otherwise show me how it is common - whether deemed as skilful or not.

#11 Jump Gunnington

• PipPip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 20 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:20 PM

View PostRyokens leap, on 30 October 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

Whatever you need to tell urself friend. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that PGI should be embarrassed that they have a game mechanic that can kill 3 mechs without needing any kind of lock-on or accurate targeting, just in the general vicinity, push a key, c-bill withdrawal. I'm not QQing about being killed by A/A, I honestly don't think it's every got me, I just think it's douchy.

Douchy?

Like impersonally using OP when a users name is very easily read? Like raining on the fun of someone who had happen to capture something very unlikely to happen? I'll take your word on the matter, you seem to be an expert on the field.

Just because you may prefer something like a Dual PPC Dual Gauss Dire Wolf, dosen't mean that Air/Arty is a bad idea. I actually like your ideas on adding a mechanic to launch the smoke grenade in order to add a layer of fun to it. It isn't a problem as it is though. Air/Arty gives brawlers a way to make Spiders scatter from finishing off a cap point, it gives us a way to make the Gauss sniper move. Is it spammed heavily by n00bs? Yes,does that mean everyone who usues it is part of some inferior breed of gamer, no.

If you really want your argument for chaning the mechanics of Air/Arty, maybe don't just bash anyone who mentions it or displays footage of it. I actually feel more like opposing you than I feel I need the change after watching you be a classic internet jerk.

Beleive it or not Mechwarrior has more to it than mechs, there is a war going on in this universe that involves men, guns, tanks, jets, spaceships, and yes at the center of all the highlight reels, mecha. I honestly wish we could see more involvment from the other parts of our factions militarys.

Edited by Jump Gunnington, 30 October 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#12 Grim DeGrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 118 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:29 PM

Does that include elementals??? (think faster light Mechs but smaller)!

And good addition Jump. Long live the JDF.

Edit: scratch that. They are not faster :
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Elemental

Edited by Grim DeGrim, 30 October 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#13 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:03 PM

Ya Jump, now ur being douchy. FYI all 3 of my Douche Wolves are stripped and parked having never been use, not even once.I do not run any Meta builds and my T- wolves were the last I mastered cause I think they're kinda douchy too. In the case of the OP's match instead of those 3 mechs slugging it out against the enemy, they have been eliminated at the push of a button pretty much dooming their team to a loss. If the player that called the stike actually was aware that a stike at that moment could kill 3 enemy by using target info and awareness then I would be impressed. Don't want to get into a name calling match, just trying to have a legit convo with my fellow Canadian.

#14 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:07 PM

Yup, because picking the right opportunity to expose yourself, or dart part enemy mechs without being seen or hit does not require skill...

#15 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:08 PM

I've seen arty/air strikes get 2-3 kills a match quite a few times just over the last week....

Totally not a broken pay-to-win gimmick at ALL. No sir.

"Hey look guys, I can run around in a mech going 150+, click once at the cost of 40,000 cbills, and do 200+ damage to you all for sticking together, and there's NOTHING you can do about it! Aren't I awesome?"

This game would be perfectly fine, and in my view, better off, without any artillery or air strikes at all.

Edited by Telmasa, 30 October 2014 - 04:09 PM.

#16 Grim DeGrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 118 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:35 PM

View PostRyokens leap, on 30 October 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

... just trying to have a legit convo with my fellow Canadian.

Everyone just needs to be cool. Ryokens, head on over to West Ed, drop in on Bourdon Street and seat yourself at the Comic Strip. Have a beer and a good laugh, and think on the triple arty strike. Once you're done there, head over to Diamonds and tell the girls about your woes and how it isn't fair that A/A is in game play.

The whole "arty is cheap" is old as is has been around. I'm sure the enemies of the Romans said the same as the trebuchet launched fire filled rotten cows over walls. One of those things where you either get with the program or lose out.

#17 UCR Starwolf

• PipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 30 October 2014 - 04:08 PM, said:

I've seen arty/air strikes get 2-3 kills a match quite a few times just over the last week....

You've seen a single strike kill multiple mechs this week?!

I call BS.

I agree arty is kinda gimmicky, but it adds an element to the game. Good positioning and awareness can minimize Strike damage.

#18 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:34 PM

Well done guys, i like picking arms and legs of large mechs and running when all their friends come to rescue them. Then the survivors all bunch up and you can drop a bomb on them and it's funny. That video was nicely timed.

Oh, and clanners saying they think airstrike is OP are lol, they rarely fight me one on one if i ask, normally they focus fire on their precious T.S. regardless, like a bunch of dirty freebirths, i'm more clan than they will ever be and i'm banned from the clans for not being 'cool' enough lol.

Edited by HimseIf, 30 October 2014 - 05:43 PM.

#19 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:44 PM

I counted 7 sec from the time for the call for the air strike to the kills

and there does not seem to be a counter measure for it

I think it would be impossible even in the 31 century to call in a air strike in 7 seconds

also why cant the other side have counter air cap (mig cap is a term some people are familiar with)

to call in a 7 second air strike you must first have air dominance so who's to say which team has it

JMTCW

#20 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:33 PM

View PostRyokens leap, on 30 October 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

and LRMs are so much better....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users