19 replies to this topic

#1 Soyaman

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:18 PM

Hey people!
I originate from pre-launch. I haven't touched it much since my most recent mech purchase. However I've been following the (few) e-mails MWO sends their subscribers as they update their content.

I'm wondering this..
Are there any worthy improvements?
I want the full story, the whole shu-bang.

I noticed there's a few new packs that I've missed, Clan waves 1 and 2 I think?
Not that I feel sorry, I honestly am still a little upset about the business model. If I were to buy every "pack" it'd cost me well over ten times more than a full AAA release.
I'd be much happier if they just provided a game package similar to Smite which gives you all the content for a set price if you're not into micro transactions.
However that's another story I could spend all night on ^^

So how is it boys? Is it time to return or should I continue being a hermit?

Edit:
My most recent purchase was the "Phoenix Guardian"

Edited by Soyaman, 29 October 2014 - 08:19 PM.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:22 PM

One thing that is noticeable right away is that PGI is more willing to talk to the player base, and does appear to make changes based on the feedbacks more, instead of isolating everyone on an island. even that is very selective

Of course, the most important part of the game--Community Warfare--is largely talk ATM, aside from the creation of clan groups. Game is still a deathmatch grindfest, meanwhile.

Oh, and check up on quirks IS mechs are getting in the next patch. Might light a fire on your old mechs.
http://mwomercs.com/...85#entry3864985

Edited by El Bandito, 29 October 2014 - 08:26 PM.

#3 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:22 PM

Do you still like stompy shooty robots?

If so, then you'll still like MWO. Combat isn't all that different, aside from most weapons now being usable and hit registration being...acceptable.

Edited by Mcgral18, 29 October 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#4 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:56 PM

View PostSoyaman, on 29 October 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

Not that I feel sorry, I honestly am still a little upset about the business model. If I were to buy every "pack" it'd cost me well over ten times more than a full AAA release.

If you care about that you are not going to be happy. I have only been playing for about 6 months but I have read a lot of stuff, and this game simply has no features. PGI release new (overpowered) mechs for purchasers to play with on the same maps, with the same game types while waiting for the much anticipated 'community warfare', and then nerf them as they become available for cbills.

From my experience and judging by what you said you are not going to be happy, why would you just keep spending far more than other 'AAA' games to just play on the same maps, with the same game types, in 'new' mechs. I have spent 80 dollars on this game and I regret every penny - I haven't spent that on any other game since WoW, and my memory of that game haunts me to this day.
This game is a terrible grind, with no fiction attached. The only reason it is successful is because Battletech was good, that is it. It could be SO much more.

Edited by Axeface, 29 October 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#5 Kilo 40

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:50 PM

Then don't buy them. wait until they are available for c-bills like a lot of people do.

early access to a mech is hardly mandatory to play the game.

#6 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:18 AM

Core gameplay is still fun, albeit mostly unchanged. PGI still mostly concerned about selling more mechs instead of building on the core gameplay. CW still supposedly around the corner, but a lot of people don't care anymore, because they realised that it won't change a lot. Some nerfs made some mechs pretty bad, like most lights and JJ-reliant mechs like the VTR and HGN. Their dynamic geometry passes are hit and miss, some mechs are improved, others are degraded in optical quality. New Quirks seem to buff certain builds on certain mechs, but are also pretty useless for other mechs, because they buff strange builds that are not very competitive on those mechs in the first place. Matchmaker still able to start 10 vs 12 matches or worse, although now we have at least the option to reconnect to a match we lost connection to. Strange bugs like reset weapon configurations and unintended weapon hardpoint ordering still persist.

#7 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:44 AM

The game went into to many directions at once, not really knowing what it wants to be. At the moment it is in a somewhat unpolished state, but it seems to improve on a slow pace.

#8 The Cheese

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:16 AM

I've also come back after some time off. Since I left, the meta has changed from lrm and ppc spam to lrm, ppc and gauss spam.

Also I don't know if there has been any drastic changes to HSR, but it got worse. Can anyone fill me in on what, if any changes have happened here in the past year or so?

#9 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:18 AM

View PostThe Cheese, on 30 October 2014 - 03:16 AM, said:

I've also come back after some time off. Since I left, the meta has changed from lrm and ppc spam to lrm, ppc and gauss spam.

Also I don't know if there has been any drastic changes to HSR, but it got worse. Can anyone fill me in on what, if any changes have happened here in the past year or so?

LRMs are the same rubbish they've been for awhile, PPCs are slow.

Seems the new "Meta" is laser spam. Paired gauss is still good.

#10 gregsolidus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:23 AM

It still missing core pillars, clan mechs are less modular than IS mechs. Beyond that it's the same game you left.

#11 Hillbillycrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:34 AM

There are still 2 vastly different games here. The solo pug and the groups. You will find folks that say LRMs are rubbish and be right and folks that say LRMs are stupidly, annoyingly op and be right. Generally, I think the game has moved to short-medium which is where PGI wants it...or even shorter.

#12 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:06 AM

As Gregsolidus wrote.... same game as beta.

#13 Bramage

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:18 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 29 October 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

Game is still a deathmatch grindfest

Been playing MW since MW1 online and offline.

This is a BIG issue for me: MW is not about Call Of Duty Deathmatching online...MW is about cooperative tactical mission play. When is this going to come? OR is it ever coming? If it doesnt, MWO is a dead end.

#14 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:43 AM

MWO is still what it was when open beta launched; fun arena mech shooter. Burn outs happen often though because of no meaningful content. So if you are not too excited to just shoot mechs down, you could wait for CW which is once again "just around the corner".

#15 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:44 AM

It's awesome and just keeps getting better and better! Here's to CW Phase 2!

#16 Bramage

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:54 AM

Was not aware of CW, looks very interesting, have been gone since beta ended, cheers.

#17 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:29 AM

biggest thing that has changed is that IGP is now gone. PGI has total control.

Have to remember that if they approached this as a normal AAA title, we likely wouldn't have a game. They aren't a big player like Microsoft with unlimited resources to produce a complete game then hope it sells. Smaller target audience = higher prices.

#18 Fitzbattleaxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 214 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:06 AM

View PostRussianWolf, on 30 October 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

biggest thing that has changed is that IGP is now gone. PGI has total control.

Have to remember that if they approached this as a normal AAA title, we likely wouldn't have a game. They aren't a big player like Microsoft with unlimited resources to produce a complete game then hope it sells. Smaller target audience = higher prices.

No reason they couldn't have done a Kickstarter for a single player game - I'd have pledged at least $150, rather than whatever it was I paid for the cheapest founders package ($30, was it?).

But yeah, it's a slightly less enjoyable game now than it was in CB, and there's really no purpose beyond grinding for more mechs. The core gameplay is solid enough, but if I could get Mechwarrior 3 running again, I wouldn't be here. Team deathmatches get incredibly dull very quickly. Especially when the wait time for each one is several minutes.

#19 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts
  • LocationDown Under. 260 pinging.

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:34 AM

Well lets see. Core gameplay is the same.

Meta has shifted around a bit.

HSR has gone backwards.

Hit detection if you have a high ping has gone backwards.

CW still coming.

Group queue bad for small and casual groups.

Solo MM is harsh. Don't climb the tree to high as you get cut down by the Match Maker.

Not many new players coming in. A few older players leaving. A lot of casual players have left.

New rewards system means if you are in a team that looses you get penalised more. So Cbills and XP earnings are slower.

Clan Mechs been introduced. Many need balancing badly.

Many IS Mechs cannot compete anymore. perks are coming to hopefully rectify this somewhat. I have my doubts.

There has been no optimisations to GPU and CPU hardware at all. Frame rates still go up and down like a Yoyo.

On the Plus side we got new maps and new Mechs

Oh yes IGP is gone. So PGI is running solo. (since then there has been a few minor improvements)

Edited by Akulla1980, 31 October 2014 - 12:36 AM.

#20 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:51 AM

I'd be much happier if they just provided a game package similar to Smite which gives you all the content for a set price if you're not into micro transactions.

Hi-Rez Studios, managing to take a once great but ruined IP (Tribes) and ruin it even further, then abandon it & release a fourth rate moba instead. Glad I didn't give any money towards that one.

We ***** and moan about problems with MWO, but Hi-Rez truly are a terrible developer.

Edited by NextGame, 31 October 2014 - 12:52 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users