What New Builds Are You Gonna Try Out 4Th Of November?

61 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:09 AM

I think most of the quirks being implemented for IS mechs will just be there to strengthen the builds already being used. Laser buffs for the CDA-2A, missile buffs for the CPLT-A1... but there are some interesting quirks that may change the standard builds for certain variants.

For me, these are what I'm looking at.

CN9-AL: 2xLPL, 2xML, maybe SRM2 for fun. This is actually not a new build, it's what I ran on the CN9-AL from when I first bought it early 2013 until Paul decided to "normalize" the pulse lasers and thus wipe them off the face of planet earth they were nerfed. If I can go back to that build, I'd be thrilled. :)

RVN-4X: 2xMPL, 1xSRM4 (1 ton ammo), 2xMG (1 ton ammo). 5 jumpjets, 1 AMS (0.5 tons ammo). MPLs were far from worth it before, but a 20% range bonus, 20% cooldown bonus and 12,5% heat reduction may help a bit, combined with weapon modules. I used to run 1 LL and 1 ML. More damage, more range, but also more heat and no shared bonus from weapon modules.

Are you guys trying out something new, bringing back old builds or just sticking with what you've been doing the past few months?

#2 The Boz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:13 AM

Me? I'll just hope they change some of those. Don't want to plan based on the info we have now.

#3 Cattra Kell

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, Canada

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:09 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c4229b9f06956e1

If my calculations are right an alpha should only bring you up to about 65~70% heat with the quirks and it should cool off pretty decently. Add in some cool shots. Then its time to rock and roll!

Edited by Cattra Kell, 30 October 2014 - 03:09 AM.

#4 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:37 AM

View PostThe Boz, on 30 October 2014 - 02:13 AM, said:

Me? I'll just hope they change some of those. Don't want to plan based on the info we have now.

Most of what I've seen are just small bonuses for the builds already being used. A few mechs suffer from effectively being shoe-horned into less popular builds, but it's certainly not a concern for most of the mechs I care about, except the CPLT-K2.

And of course, many of the worst mechs in the game have barely changed at all, but I can't say I'm too surprised.

View PostCattra Kell, on 30 October 2014 - 03:09 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c4229b9f06956e1
If my calculations are right an alpha should only bring you up to about 65~70% heat with the quirks and it should cool off pretty decently. Add in some cool shots. Then its time to rock and roll!

As a light mech pilot, I praise both the old gods and the new whenever I see a PPC boat with no ER PPCs. Especially when it's got no PPCs in the arms either. They're like LRM boats with no backup weapons.

It's a damned shame PGI gave PPCs minimum distance, while the ER PPCs have no minimum distance, yet longer range. It would have been better to have PPCs for brawling and ER PPCs for sniping, IMO.

#5 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:41 AM

My Locusts actually. I like want to try a 5 SPLaser Locust 3M. The range quirks with the SPLaser range module i have might make for a sweet setup. I may also get a cool down module for the ERLLaser and try it with the Locust 1V to stack with it's quirks.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else I might play with yet.

#6 Eboli

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:52 AM

My Oxide minus the negative quirks of acceleration and deceleration. This was the biggest killer of this mech. The missile cool down is no biggy as I don't want to use all my missiles too quickly but maybe be good advantage when behind a mech as you can kill it quicker. Range, always helps but I like to get in close anyhow.

Stack them with the cool down and range modules and it wil be interesting. I am glad they did not give the Oxide JJs.

Cheers
Eboli

#7 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:59 AM

If the quirk list posted in the forum is right, my Thunderbolt 5SS (ThunderWub) is going to get a whole lot better. MPLasers FTW.

#8 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:07 AM

Will probably rebuy some of my old favorites like the HBK-4(S)P, VTR-9S and CTF-1(2)X.

Edit: People also better not try to play heavies unless they want to sit in the queue for hours.

Edited by Budor, 30 October 2014 - 05:08 AM.

#9 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:11 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 30 October 2014 - 03:59 AM, said:

If the quirk list posted in the forum is right, my Thunderbolt 5SS (ThunderWub) is going to get a whole lot better. MPLasers FTW.

Smurfylinks for the Smurfygod, plz!

View PostEboli, on 30 October 2014 - 03:52 AM, said:

My Oxide minus the negative quirks of acceleration and deceleration. This was the biggest killer of this mech. The missile cool down is no biggy as I don't want to use all my missiles too quickly but maybe be good advantage when behind a mech as you can kill it quicker. Range, always helps but I like to get in close anyhow.
Stack them with the cool down and range modules and it wil be interesting. I am glad they did not give the Oxide JJs.
Cheers
Eboli

Some mechs are going to have some ridiculous range with SRMs now. Huginn gets a 25% range bonus for SRM4's. And a 30 meter bonus from weapon modules. That's basically 100 meters extra range. With Artemis, that's kind of nifty.

Several other mechs get a 20% range bonus for SRM4 or SRM6, giving them 84 meters extra range. That's pretty cool, on a medium or heavy mech. My CTF-2X is no longer limited to brawls inside 270 meters.

#10 Otto Cannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:12 AM

The Wolverines might be worth trying with double AC5 or LPL on the arm.

#11 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:15 AM

Locusts and Awesomes. The buffs on the PPC's should make a huge difference after the PPC nerf. Currently my 8Q is all pulse lasers. I have shifted it to all PPC (with a side order of med pulse) in order to benefit from the chassis bonus.
The Locusts should truly move to hot-rod status with the start/stop bonus. Slap a fall module on them and go berserk!

#12 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:27 AM

I like my Centurion-A over the Cent-D, so I sold my D model for being a lesser A-model. I have mine use AC-10s, BTW.

Now that the quirks are coming out the D model has really good quirks for Ballistics that the A model just flat out lacks.

Granted, I could get a Hunchback H now, but the generic ballistic bonus on the Cent-D is the same as the AC-10 bonus of the Hunch-H...sort of. They both get the same +20% rate of fire, but the Hunchback gets 20% more range, while the good old Luxor AC-10 of the Centurion-D gets +10% muzzle velocity.

So, I bought a replacement Centurion-D, rigged up with AC-10, 2 medium lasers, and SRM-4s.

#13 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:29 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 30 October 2014 - 04:11 AM, said:

Smurfylinks for the Smurfygod, plz!

Sorry, I always post from work (on my phone :/ ). I'll try and remember to link my build when I get the chance.

#14 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:44 AM

Likely none. I have to see if I still like how my rides I have now work.

#15 Jeffrey Wilder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:51 AM

What else?

All the meta builds.

#16 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:01 AM

Not really, unfortunately. I might try taking out my QKD, TDR or BLR again as I don't ever play them right now so I'll give the builds a go - but for every other mech I use, bar the CTF-4X, the quirks seem really weird. LRM buffs for the STK-3F? AC/10s for the Muromets!? The D-DC got double dipped on the ECM bonus, the Shadowhawk buffs are all kinda lame. Obviously the K2 got a crap deal, too. Not anywhere near as excited about this as I was to begin with. Might give me some different targets to shoot at though I guess.

#17 Walluh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 682 posts
  • LocationLovingly stroking my Crab Waifu

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:08 AM

Awesome today awesome tomorrow awesome every day

#18 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:13 AM

"The D-DC got double dipped on the ECM bonus"

What the **** does this even mean

Edited by Yosharian, 30 October 2014 - 05:13 AM.

#19 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:48 AM

I've rediscovered the Awesome 8Q ever since they added the quirks on it and it performs well. I can't wait to see all the Thunderbolt quirks.

#20 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:56 AM

View PostYosharian, on 30 October 2014 - 05:13 AM, said:

"The D-DC got double dipped on the ECM bonus"
What the **** does this even mean

A lot of people feel that the D-DC has been rated too high, on account of its ECM. It gets rated Tier 2 because of ECM (which means less quirks), and then it loses a quirk because it has ECM. Hence double dipped.

I assume "dipped" is some sort of dirty euphemism.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users