Is This Weekend A Testbed For A Loot Box & Key System?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Dragomir Zelenka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 168 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

A lot of the weekend events PGI runs seem designed to test specific aspects of gameplay, and this one looks like an easy way to dry run a crate/key system. Lots of different F2P games include them. Star Trek Online, Team Fortress 2, TERA, the list goes on and on. They've proven to be a pretty damn popular way to get money from the player base.

Now, obviously, this one isn't costing us anything to participate (though the reward structure does encourage the use of premium and hero mechs to guarantee success*), but it does make me wonder if we'll be seeing a crate/key system introduced after CW comes into play.

What do you think? Will we all soon be playing in 3PV so we can gaze at the totally cool, ultra-rare hats our mechs are sporting?

:P

*Not that it's going to be hard to get the minimum points without those either.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:00 PM

Oh god, MWO crates just gave me scary thoughts. Unboxing crate after crate after crate, and all you get are Small Lasers! But then the other guy standing next to you gets an Unusual Mad Cat with orbiting Paul Inouye heads effect...

Edited by FupDup, 30 October 2014 - 09:02 PM.

#3 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:03 PM

I did find it to be remarkably similar to a loot box & key system, but considering how PGI already monetizes the game in other ways it seems like it would inappropriate to dip into that as well.

Maybe it's a test for a reward system that's not monetized, like say a daily reward thing, though if PGI does expand on it I'm not very optimistic about it being worthwhile.

#4 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:13 PM

All I can say is... I'll wait towards the end to redeem the treats. Since this "event" kinda endorses... mass and score grinding, it would be interesting to see what is given.

Still, it's not even clear what the rewards are on a breakdown level or rate of each thing occurring.

#5 Dragomir Zelenka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 168 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:19 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 October 2014 - 09:13 PM, said:

Still, it's not even clear what the rewards are on a breakdown level or rate of each thing occurring.

Which is partly why I think it is a test for a crate system. Lots of different potential prizes, with absolutely no indication of value or odds of receiving them. Which is basically the way of every crate/key system ever.

Personally, I don't mind a decently implemented system, particularly if the prizes are largely cosmetic things. Unique camo patterns would be fun, or modules that change the color of your PPC, or things like that.

#6 Alek Ituin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationMy Lolcust's cockpit

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:25 PM

View PostDragomir Zelenka, on 30 October 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

Which is partly why I think it is a test for a crate system. Lots of different potential prizes, with absolutely no indication of value or odds of receiving them. Which is basically the way of every crate/key system ever.

Personally, I don't mind a decently implemented system, particularly if the prizes are largely cosmetic things. Unique camo patterns would be fun, or modules that change the color of your PPC, or things like that.

STO Lockboxes were petty cut-and-dry. You knew exactly what odds you had of getting what, and how much that would be worth. I still got a Tholian Recluse Carrier either way, but those damn lockboxes... LOCKBOXES!!!!

Also, midnight black PPC's, with thin white borders... do want. Oh, and hats. So many hats that TF2 gets jealous.

#7 Captain Stiffy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:39 PM

View PostDragomir Zelenka, on 30 October 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

A lot of the weekend events PGI runs seem designed to test specific aspects of gameplay, and this one looks like an easy way to dry run a crate/key system. Lots of different F2P games include them. Star Trek Online, Team Fortress 2, TERA, the list goes on and on. They've proven to be a pretty damn popular way to get money from the player base.

Now, obviously, this one isn't costing us anything to participate (though the reward structure does encourage the use of premium and hero mechs to guarantee success*), but it does make me wonder if we'll be seeing a crate/key system introduced after CW comes into play.

What do you think? Will we all soon be playing in 3PV so we can gaze at the totally cool, ultra-rare hats our mechs are sporting?

:P

*Not that it's going to be hard to get the minimum points without those either.

This would definitely be the worst thing ever. This isn't steam and the playerbase doesn't have an average age of 8.

#8 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:54 PM

What would they give?
Hero mechs, Special patterns, A ton of MC, Weapons, mechs, Mechbays, Hats, inventory items?
I mean the price has to be like 10MC to open because most of the items besides hero mechs are dirt cheap or can be gotten with C-Bills anyway.

#9 Alek Ituin

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationMy Lolcust's cockpit

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:57 PM

View PostBrody319, on 30 October 2014 - 09:54 PM, said:

What would they give?
Hero mechs, Special patterns, A ton of MC, Weapons, mechs, Mechbays, Hats, inventory items?
I mean the price has to be like 10MC to open because most of the items besides hero mechs are dirt cheap or can be gotten with C-Bills anyway.

I'd say an MWO crate would contain special camos, paints, Heros, Mechbays, maybe a module or two, and HATS. Lot's of friggin hats, too many to choose from. With some special hat stacking modules too, so you can wear 10 of your favorite hats at once.

#10 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:01 PM

View PostAlek Ituin, on 30 October 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

I'd say an MWO crate would contain special camos, paints, Heros, Mechbays, maybe a module or two, and HATS. Lot's of friggin hats, too many to choose from. With some special hat stacking modules too, so you can wear 10 of your favorite hats at once.

I want fox ears for my kitfox and a top hat for my Catapult.
Some paints that change colors would be pretty cool, like it starts blue and transitions to red then back.
Special camo for the King Crab has to be a zoidberg skin, just needs one.

#11 Popper100

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:56 PM

BACK ON TOPIC!

The major problem with making a crate/key system is that there isn't really much you could do in this game, seeing as anything reasonable will only cost a pittance more and anything exotic will cut sales by a large margin. It's a case where you need to make it so outlandish (like TF2 hats) that it becomes more joke. And buying into the joke a second time around isn't very likely for most people.

#12 Eboli

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:06 PM

Could make an interesting reward system within CW for successful units. You could relate it to being abondoned fighting equipment as the defending forces retreat. Such loot can be added to units base defence|offence or a.number of things that our imagination (or PGI's) can come up with.

Cheers,
Eboli

#13 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:12 PM

Loot boxes are okay but MWO doesn't have enough cosmetic items to put in them yet.

They can have loot boxes have a small small chance of giving mechs to keep people hoping :P

In Dota 2, even their $35 costumes can be RNG'd from the end of each match.

Edited by Elizander, 30 October 2014 - 11:13 PM.

#14 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:44 PM

Mechs get to use their handactuators to pick up loot scattered across the map :ph34r:

#15 NovaFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:50 AM

Eh, I hope not. All of the crate/key systems I've seen eventually devolve into buying boxes until you roll the 1-2% rare overpowered ship/gun/weapon/mech from the latest power creep patch, and proceed to effortlessly roll those pathetic non-whale players until the next patch, which exists solely to see if you're still willing to spend $500+ to remain competitively relevant.

#16 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:44 AM

View PostFupDup, on 30 October 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

Oh god, MWO crates just gave me scary thoughts. Unboxing crate after crate after crate, and all you get are Small Lasers! But then the other guy standing next to you gets an Unusual Mad Cat with orbiting Paul Inouye heads effect...

I LOL'd

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users