Champion Mechs Should Have Different Quirks Than The Original Mech

1 reply to this topic

#1 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:19 AM

Ok, Champion mechs were added to the game, yet I don't think I have EVER thought to myself, "I want one!"

This has never happened for me. I have never bought one and I have no plans to, either.

However, I also see the major trend right now is for people to both praise and lament the new quirks that I.S. mechs are getting based on what they perceive as what a mech should be good at, either it's original loadout or the most useful "meta" build it turns out it actually was good for.

I also seem to recall that Champion Mechs already are usually sold with the "meta" build that was popular once upon a time installed in them. The Centurion 9A originally is an AC-10 and LRM-10, but the quirks it will get are for the infamous "Zombie" build (which isn't necessarily true anymore since the Cent lost it's skinny center torso hitbox months ago).

That is to say the Centurion 9A is getting Medium Laser and SRM-4 quirks. You run a standard, 275 rated engine, two medium lasers, and triple SRM-4 with Artemis, and the right arm is empty.

Well, give the those quirks for the lasers and SRM-4's to the Centurion 9A (C) Champion mech, but the regular Centurion 9A should get AC-10 and LRM-10 bonuses.

1. We get both the default loadout for the lore purists who want it, and the meta builds for those who want it.

2. Nobody has to argue about what quirks a mech should have. Give us both options.

3. Champions get an actual use that veteran players may even buy one.

4. No real extra work needs to be done to create the champion that you would need for a hero mech. No custom skin, no new weapon load outs that require new 3D models for a "hero" mech that has a weapon in a new location, ect. It is just a mech with different, permanently built in weapon modules (which is what quirks are in case you haven't noticed).

5. Sales. We have more things to buy, and PGI gets more revenue. I would buy a Centurion A that has an AC-10 buff instead of an SRM-4 buff.

Good or bad idea?

Edited by Hans Von Lohman, 31 October 2014 - 12:23 AM.

#2 Shadow Magnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 429 posts
  • LocationLake Constance, Germany

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:28 AM

I really like and support the idea, mentioned it already in a different thread. Right now there is little reason to buy the champions. I bought a couple to save some CBill grind because they often got DHS, Endo and fitting engine equipped already, but that is a only a small motivation.

However, there is the danger of P2W, like the yummy AC/20 quirks for Centurions and Blackjacks were put on the hero mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users