Quirks, Your Junkers And What It Means To Them.

7 replies to this topic

#1 Kanatta Jing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:44 AM

https://docs.google....&pli=1&sle=true

Lower Tier mechs get more help in the form of quirks, the more quirks there are the more that mech becomes pigeon holed into it's stock configuration. I challenge you to pick a mech that you like that you know if of maligned in the forums, find it's new quirks and explain to us what they mean to you.

I will start.

I actually kind of like the TDR-5S.

For those of you that don't understand the T-bolt:

I set it up with two LRM 10's and a large laser on one side and 3 medium pulse lasers and 2 machine guns on the other side. This makes it a dedicated brawler/support mech depending on which torso gets blown out first and a solid all rounder for the portion of the match before that happens. The two phases of it's life cycle make it a surprisingly durable mech. PS: do not install an XL. I mean really. That's as bad as an XL Atlas.

Here is what the quirks are going to do to the T-bolt.

Additional Structure LT&RT: 10
Large Laser Range: 12.5%
Energy Range: 12.5%
Large Laser Cooldown: 12.5%
Medium Laser Duration: 12.5%
Laser Duration: 12.5%
Medium Laser Heat Gen: 12.5%
Energy Heat Gen: 12.5%
Missle Cooldown: 15%

Now it has a ton of quirks as a Tier 5 mech. They placed it as one of the worst heavies. It has been dubbed resoundingly as a 'meh' mech but it stands in the most exemplary weight class.

Anyway, this long list of quirks does act to pigeon hole this mech. Upgrading the Large Laser to a PPC (something I certainly thought of doing) would cost you that delightful 12.5% Cooldown bonus, Cooldown being the boost most directly applied to DPS.

My shift from the triple Medium Lasers to Medium Pulse Lasers is called into question by the total duration reduction bonus of 25%. The shorter duration is the real reason I took the Pulses after all. It tells me I should go back and trade them for a Command Console.

I've been meaning to take those now that they do stuff but haven't really found many builds with gapping 3 ton holes in them. Yet I am also slightly resentful of this. Probably because I came up with a solution on my own that proved to be effective.

Now the 15% Missle Cooldown bonus, the heftiest and meatiest single bonus Intended to apply both to the stock LRM 15 and SRM 2, is the most mercurial bonus. I like it because it doesn't contradict me.

Lastly the 10 structure points added to both side torso's. This is absolutly fantastic. On the T-bolt it is a direct bonus to the survivability of the mech.

#2 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:51 AM

My favorite mech is the Atlas, so I'll comment on that.
All of the Atlas quirks are questionable.
Take the K, for example. They want us to snipe with an assault mech that has very low and very far apart weapon hardpoints? Really? Or the D and D-DC; the only two Atlas variants that have 2 ballistic hardpoints, perfect for mounting dual AC5 or LB-X10. What do they get? AC20. Great. Yaay. What the hell is the beamspam RS supposed to do with general ballistics velocity?

#3 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:56 AM

everyone is acting like they're favorite build wont work or is invalid with the new quirks

if you like the medium pulse then use them
its not like they put in a quirk all non medium lasers Heat +1000% or something

(though note the +12,5 heat for mediums as well, though not pulse mediums)

just wait n see

however you're build is gonna work even after the quirks

View PostThe Boz, on 31 October 2014 - 12:51 AM, said:

My favorite mech is the Atlas, so I'll comment on that.
All of the Atlas quirks are questionable.
Take the K, for example. They want us to snipe with an assault mech that has very low and very far apart weapon hardpoints? Really? Or the D and D-DC; the only two Atlas variants that have 2 ballistic hardpoints, perfect for mounting dual AC5 or LB-X10. What do they get? AC20. Great. Yaay. What the hell is the beamspam RS supposed to do with general ballistics velocity?

that may have something to do with the stock load out?

been forever since I bought one of those stock though
they give out quirks based more on lore than what players squeeze into them I think

Edited by Peter2k, 31 October 2014 - 12:57 AM.

#4 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:21 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 31 October 2014 - 12:56 AM, said:

that may have something to do with the stock load out?

been forever since I bought one of those stock though
they give out quirks based more on lore than what players squeeze into them I think

K starts with Gauss and 2x ERLL and LRM20, but gets Gauss and PPC quirks. S Starts with an LRM20, SRM6, and 2x SSRM2, but gets SRM4 quirks.
And that's just with the Atlas. I don't even want to get into what they did with the Catapult...

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:00 AM

I am sad that my STK-5M did not get LRM quirk buffs. :(

Guess I'll try out Splat Stalker--though that is my 3F's forte.

Edited by El Bandito, 31 October 2014 - 02:05 AM.

#6 NextGame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:14 AM

I don't really care about the quick system tbh.

The mechs that run a mix of weapon types and cannot sufficiently boat or run weapons that synch well together still aren't going to get taken out of the mechbay because they are boring. Current strong mechs are likely to remain that way, and some b-listers will be a little more fun to play. That's about it.

Edited by NextGame, 31 October 2014 - 02:15 AM.

#7 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:19 AM

One of my favorite mechs is the Catapult K2 and I quite dislike the fact that it got classified as a skirmisher and the quirks buff any ballistic + 4 ML setup. In my view such setups always were a just for fun thing not it's designated role. The Catapult is a support chassis and the K2 in my view is supposed to be a PPC Sniper. It should have gotten PPC related quirks similar to the AWS 8Q.

#8 beerandasmoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:37 AM

What I wish they would consider is a decent overall buff too the weapon system a variant is good at. Such as missles and energy for trebs. Not a specific massive buff to one single weapon system on one variant such as the AC5 Dragon. This breaks builds and takes the fun out of tinkering since your almost forced too build around the quirks. Decent general buff too the weapon systems the hardpoints call for and then buff IS engine HP some across the board to compensate for Clan high speed and I think we would be there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users