Wtf Did You Do To The Match Maker?

16 replies to this topic

#1 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:13 AM

I've had a month without a single 12:0 match in either direction.
Now, 2 of 6 matches
+ 1 12:1 match on my seventh match.

I've had 3 large (40+) LRM salvos target a single leg, and in the same match watched a team mate die from LRMs that flew THROUGH a hill to hit him.

#2 Savage Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:57 AM

So....

You expect the Match Maker to be able to predict which players are going to unintentionally get advantages from bugs in the game and match those with others? It's a problem, yes, but what does that have to do with the Match Maker?

Also steam rolls is part of the game, not because of the match maker, but because of how the gameplay works. The match maker can't fix that.

#3 KKRonkka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:56 PM

Nothing has been done to matchmaker. Still full "not-quite-having-the-balls-for-12vs12" premades versus smaller groups.

#4 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:10 AM

Actually, I figured out after my (8 so far) consecutive loses tonight.
It's not the matchmaker, this the sodding tournaments.

Every time a tournament happens, suddenly I get huge strings of losses and steamroller matches.

Why? Because suddenly those "playing for fun" guys pull out their optimised builds and are playing opponents well below their actual skill level

Therefore:
TOURNAMENTS ARE A DISINCENTIVE TO PLAY WMO.

#5 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:15 AM

No, that was just a separate "I noticed" while I was in a ****** mood.

And given that I've gone month without being on either side of a steam roller, yeah, I think the matchmaker WAS doing a pretty good job.

Up until I realised the problem around tournaments, which is not fixable.

So tournaments involving points translate to:

1. I will never get a prize
2. While people who might get a prize a playing, my game experience is going to go to ****
3. I'm going to waste hours of my time trying to do anything during a tournament.

So, how many other "casual" players like me are going to draw the same conclusion.

It's not worth playing when PGI run tournaments.
PGI run tournaments most weekends
I can really only play weekends
Therefore, it's mostly not worth playing at all.

#6 GutterBoy5

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts
  • LocationAdelaide,south australia

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:40 AM

If you can't win something this weekend then don't blame MM or other people playing tournaments , your just a really bad player , this tournament / challenge is so dam simple anyone could win anything from MC,Cbills,consumables etc etc . PGI are giving stuff away it's that dam simple. I've played group & solo ( way more solo) & continually won every match , every game. ITS THAT DAM SIMPLE.

DONT BLAME OTHERS . Learn to play better.

Edited by GutterBoy5, 01 November 2014 - 02:44 AM.

#7 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:07 AM

You're right, I misread the rules, so I am at least getting something.

And "You're ****" is NOT an answer.
If I'm ****, so are the people I'm playing against, supposedly.

My point is that I play the same ALWAYS, so my ELO == my skill.
If I'm "good" and I muck around to have fun, the my ELO << my skill when I feel like playing properly.

And there's no fix for that.

BTW: TEN LOSSES IN A ROW.

It's midnight. All I want is to play a few matches and get my 3x double XP for the chassis I'm playing.
It shouldn't take two hours.

#8 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:18 AM

ELEVEN LOSSES IN A ROW

And you missed my point.

It USED to be like this.
I quit for six months

Then it got better. Good for PGI.

But RIGHT NOW IT IS A FDSFFERE KILLJOY.

#9 Kodiak Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 935 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:07 AM

I'm experiencing poor match ups too but i don't believe it anything to do with the tournament. also last i heard the MM had some values opened up to reduce wait times that was a while ago however, i doubt they reverted the changes. it could be the reason behind poor match quality I've been experiencing poor match ups for a while now so my play times radically reduced.

#10 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:23 AM

I actually think they have done something to it this week, and it wouldnt surprise me - pgi makes a habit of experimenting on their player base. I think they are trying to manipulate elo, or doing another 'test' of some kind.

I have around 4000 games completed and a 1.2 win/loss ratio. Over the last few days I have had multiple loss streaks, today is no different. It is the most horrible gaming experience I have ever had, and I honestly think pgi are doing something - because the numbers do not add up, it makes no sense.
I could screenshot my mech stats page, I have levelled Shadowhawks this week and been playing the CN9AH too, each one has a win/loss of like 0.3 to 0.5, the rest of my mechs that I have used more than 5 games in over the past 6 months? 1.something.

I am utterly disheartened this week and really, really hating the game right now.

View PostGutterBoy5, on 01 November 2014 - 02:40 AM, said:

If you can't win something this weekend then don't blame MM or other people playing tournaments , your just a really bad player , this tournament / challenge is so dam simple anyone could win anything from MC,Cbills,consumables etc etc . PGI are giving stuff away it's that dam simple. I've played group & solo ( way more solo) & continually won every match , every game. ITS THAT DAM SIMPLE.

Umm, because a single players performance can COMPLETELY SABOTAGE MULTIPLE GAMES IN A ROW? Just shut up Gutterboy.

Edited by Axeface, 01 November 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#11 GutterBoy5

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts
  • LocationAdelaide,south australia

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:14 PM

Bahahaha

Not saying I don't lose , I have , but still earnt points in this challenge. If the game isn't working for you, adapt to the game, change your load outs ,mech or something.maybe your trying to use wrong weight class? Just cause DW(example only) is the killer atm doesn't meen it's good for all players I personnally suck in a DW, but put me in a medium & I usually ring circles around most assaults. You may find this yourself.

Cheers

#12 Duke Nedo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:56 AM

Having them too, every time there is a tournament. This weekend, 29 matches, 7 wins, and I am usually ~1.1 win:loss ratio amd 1.7 k:d ratio in 100% solo drops. This probably has to do with one of two things, either 1) the MM goes crazy for some reason, systematically punishing solo-players when the solo-queue gets invaded by group players, or 2) a LOT of people sync-drops or plays the MM to give them an advantage.

None of those make any sense really, so take a pick.... :( whatever it is, it needs to get fixed because it's really destroying any form of fun playing this game during tournaments as a solo player.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the skill of the individual player, anything not systematic would give both better teammates and better opponents resulting in maintained ~1:1 w:l ratio. Something systematic or some form of abuse happens, and some people gets regularly farmed during tournaments. Hope its something they can fix....

The only time this did not happen for me was when the challenge was valid both in solo and groups, then it remained normal.

Edited by Duke Nedo, 02 November 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#13 Riverboat Sam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:13 AM

View PostGutterBoy5, on 01 November 2014 - 02:40 AM, said:

You really need to go ask your mommy what the word, "manners", means. If she doesn't know, perhaps your elementary school teacher can help. Good luck becoming a grown up!

Edited by Riverboat Sam, 03 November 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#14 Riverboat Sam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:21 AM

Was playing on Sunday night with my son and his friend, so had to group drop. Matchmaker had been doing pretty well by us until around 7:30 PM. Seems to me that the 8 man and 12 man teams came out of the woodwork to claim their halloween tidbits. You could see them. They were totally focused on annihilating us as quickly as possible. After 8 consecutive 12 to 0 stomps in a row I finally quit. Just got tired of being cannon fodder.

I have no idea why we can't have a queue that only allows a max of 4 players per group? I would never drop as a 2 or 3 man group against a 12 man if PGI would give me the choice. I mean really!

#15 Yagarcanda

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:57 AM

one thing i notice of matchmaker (correct me if im wrong, but i think not :P), it doesnt care about weapons builds, for example: team 1 has 5 lrmboats, team 2 has 2. how can you win that match? supose u dont have ecm? its unbalanced for sure. or perhaps is that the way it should be? matchmaker just care about chasis and tons?

#16 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:04 AM

View PostYagarcanda, on 04 November 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

one thing i notice of matchmaker (correct me if im wrong, but i think not :P), it doesnt care about weapons builds, for example: team 1 has 5 lrmboats, team 2 has 2. how can you win that match? supose u dont have ecm? its unbalanced for sure. or perhaps is that the way it should be? matchmaker just care about chasis and tons?

Matchmaker only looks at weight class and Elo. It tries to make 3/3/3/3 of each weight class (but will bend this rule if a match is not found quickly) and it tries to balance equal Elo (an individual matchmaking score based on win:loss)

There is no attempt to match up builds, variants, etc. A team could have 9 ECM mechs vs a team with none, a mech with NARC is not preferentially placed on a team with LRs. Any matching based on loadout would only make it take even longer to find a match. (when the Hellbringer comes out a team could have 12 ECM mechs)

#17 Javenri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:05 AM

I am under the impression that MM is trying to balance ELO between teams by adding a high ELO player to a low ELO bunch. That would explain some of te results. But as I said this is a hunch, not knowledge.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users