Thinking Of Going Commando

60 replies to this topic

#1 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:11 AM

After I bought all the Stormcrows and got a brother for the special Centurion (I completed the basics and sold off the A champion long ago), I'm now a bit pissed that the medium queue is so damn congested (more than half my mechs are mediums).

And since I really suck at driving a locust (a fact not helped by getting either crap teams or single-minded enemies who obsess over hunting me down for that one-shot kill thrill), I've mostly been playing my Kit Fox along with a revived K2. I also have Ravens and a C1, but I'm just bored of those right now (they wee my main money makers when I started this game).

So I've been looking at getting another light mech, and the only one I kinda like is the Commando.

Now for the questions:
Is the Death's Knell worth it over a 1B? I'm tempted to get it if I win some MCs this weekend and fill it with Medium Pulses and wub-wub all-day every day.

Do people ever bother with LRMs in this thing? I'm thinking 2x LRM5 in the 2D might be fun, could even stay almost completely hidden, lobbing the LRMs and spotting for the team.

Is an XL170 or XL180 ever enough, or is the XL200 the minimum engine size? I've blown most of my money on Novas, Stormcrows and the CN9-AL, I'd like to know if I'll have to grind a lot to get more XL engines (I intend to get a 225, I already own a 170, 180 and 200).

Does anyone ever go commando when they play with their Commando?

Last but not least, please post your favourite builds. I already have some I've saved, but I'd like to see what others are using effectively too.

#2 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:15 AM

Bought TDK on the cheap yesterday, and am loving it. I feel like it's worth it, but I have some trouble going fast with 4MPL. Still kind of searching for a sweet spot with it.

#3 Domenoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 461 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:33 AM

I'm not sure you'd like the TDK if you didn't like Locusts. Playing a Commando or Locust turns MWO into a survival horror game where nowhere is safe and you fully expect to drop dead any second. If the "ohshitohshitohshit" moments aren't really your thing, you might want to look at Spiders, Jenners, or Firestarters.

With that disclaimer out of the way, I've mastered 4 Commandos and the TDK was my favorite. I thoroughly expected to hate it but was shocked how much I loved it instead.

#4 Chadamir Fitzkrieg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

I'm an avid Commando fan. If you love to go fast and be pretty furious then this is the mech for you. Don't let the armor worry you. You're meant to hit and run, hit them with 8 SRMs and a couple mediums then book it before they know what hit them.

My builds include: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d66369ebcc28760 -1B

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6814c04d5ea1713 -1D

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1755ab170799bca -2D

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d6d9fac380b3946 -3A

#5 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:45 AM

View PosteFTy, on 31 October 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

Now for the questions:
Is the Death's Knell worth it over a 1B? I'm tempted to get it if I win some MCs this weekend and fill it with Medium Pulses and wub-wub all-day every day.

Yes, it's substantially better than the 1B. But too hot with MPLs. Use 4ML. Go zoom.

#6 FindersWeepers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the CIA

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:14 AM

I can teach you how to go commando.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
huehuehuehuehuehue

#7 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:30 PM

Yep, TDK is worthwhile. It's good even before it's elited. Maybe not the best of the very best, but more than good enough to cause lots of mayhem and have fun doing it.

However, unless you're going to be running four lasers on your TDK or really need the cbill bonus, just stick with the 1B. The fourth energy hardpoint is the entire reason for having it in the first place.

#8 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

For the record, I love driving the Locust, I just kinda suck with it. My K/D R is 0.43, 0.45 and 0.47 with them.

I'll grind some more c-bills and get the 2D and 3A over the weekend and try em out. Worst case scenario, it's just a few M C-bills...

#9 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 31 October 2014 - 04:31 PM

Do it. TDK on sale is good. 171kph and cbill bonus. Its a limited mech, you cant do all that much with it...but thats not the point, is it?

Its about going Commando. Letting it flap in the breeze at 171. Au Natural.

#10 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 31 October 2014 - 04:39 PM

View PosteFTy, on 31 October 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

For the record, I love driving the Locust, I just kinda suck with it. My K/D R is 0.43, 0.45 and 0.47 with them.

I'll grind some more c-bills and get the 2D and 3A over the weekend and try em out. Worst case scenario, it's just a few M C-bills...

Stick with the Locust. Once you get the FEAR and can average 150 damage, 1 kill per game, ALL your other mech piloting skills will have improved.
My assault game improved via Locust, haha

#11 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 October 2014 - 04:52 PM

View PostTim East, on 31 October 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

Bought TDK on the cheap yesterday, and am loving it. I feel like it's worth it, but I have some trouble going fast with 4MPL. Still kind of searching for a sweet spot with it.

If you find the sweet spot please share it with us. Mpl are my go to weapon on a lot of builds but I haven't been able to make them work on the tdk. I just run the standard 4 mlas. But the tdk is a great mech and worth the mc especially at 50% off.

#12 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:29 PM

I might consider SPLs, just because.

It's FUN.

#13 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys!
I caved in and bought the 2D for now. I need some 300 more MCs before I can get the Death's Knell.

Currently going with XL200, SRM4, LRM5 and ML. It's surprisingly effective. LRMs give plenty of assists (plus the occasional kill secured), SRMs pound helpless fatties and the laser just pews.

#14 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:17 PM

View PosteFTy, on 31 October 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

Thanks for the replies, guys!
I caved in and bought the 2D for now. I need some 300 more MCs before I can get the Death's Knell.

Might win them over the weekend. I've gotten 75 MC so far myself.

Edit: 100 MC, just redeemed some more MC.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 31 October 2014 - 06:23 PM.

#15 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:18 AM

That's precisely what I intend to try. :)

#16 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:28 AM

View PosteFTy, on 31 October 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

THINKING OF GOING COMMANDO

Underpants protect your testicles.

#17 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:31 AM

Yeah, I'm steadily learning that going commando requires balls of steel.

I'm having a great time in this thing since I switched from ML to MPL. Had to downgrade the heat sinks to get ferro-fibrous armour, though.

#18 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:31 AM

gotta get them all!

I use 170xl and lrm5's in my commando builds frequently, it does slow you down, but just teaches you to use cover all the time.

I haven't had much success with my 1-B and I haven't gotten the TDK yet, but I'm not really into energy builds - I prefer the double-barreled blast of srm's!

#19 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:57 AM

Can't say I'm a big fan of LRMandos for many of the same reasons that I am not a huge fan of LRM-boating Atlases and a few reasons more unique to light mechs. Tube limitations and junk aside, I find it difficult to carry enough LRM ammo to do more than waste enemy AMS in a light mech. They do tend to make horrifically dangerous SRM platforms though. Rebuilt my 2D into an SRM 12 assassin with great success recently, though ammo limits still get me down fairly frequently.

Edited by Tim East, 01 November 2014 - 06:57 AM.

#20 beerandasmoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:24 AM

I run 3 MPL, Tag in my TDW. I took a slight engine downgrade to a 235 but the thing still goes 167kph which is plenty fast. With TAG I can cash in on the current spotter friendly economy and I still have a good punch with the MPL with little facetime. Remember anything over 150kph and the lagshield comes into effect. Dont run in straight lines and dont run directly at or away from an enemy and you will do fine. Good luck!

I also have a 1D that i run as a NARC boat. It also can be a lot of fun and very profitable since NARCed targets bring spotting, NARC, and NARC kill assists. Sweet Cbill showers!

Heres a little tip as well if you buy a TDW. You know all those Embers everyone likes too run? You can wreck those things in a TDW. Why? Because in a circle brawl the Ember cant bring his machineguns too bear on you because your turning radius is too tight. I always love too see an Ember try too bumrush me too brawl because i know its an easy kill.

Edited by beerandasmoke, 01 November 2014 - 07:38 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users