- - - - -

Trial 'mechs: Which Ones Are Worth It?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Sakuya Nishizumi

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:37 AM

After playing with a few Trial 'Mechs, I'm still lost on which ones to play. Most of them just don't fit my playstyle, and I'm pretty sure I've been playing those that I like suboptimally. I need something to rotate with my Jenner with, plus I haven't been getting good games on a Light to qualify for the current Halloween event either not getting spot assists, damage, or kill assists.

My playstyle is scoot and shoot long range. I'm really bad at brawling, and some maps my FPS just doesn't let me brawl.

Spider: A single ERLL. Will this actually deal damage by itself? Just need that tiny bit of damage to qualify for an assist. Jerk move, but I have my reasons.

Kitfox: Too spread out in terms of weapon groups. SPL feels like I'm only tickling 'Mechs

Firestarter: Almost no point in running this over my Jenner JR7-K, aside from having AMS.

Blackjack: Currently my favorite out of the Mediums, though I'm pretty sure this thing packs an XL engine. Not too happy about that.

Nova: Too many ERMLs.

Shadowhawk: PPC is alright, AC/5s, too. Probably would take this over the Blackjack now for sniping.

Summonner: I like the Summonner, but like most trial 'Mechs, it's too spread out. I guess I'm expecting too much.

The rest I just feel like I'm being overwhelmed with the sheer amount of groupings. I want loadouts that are intuitive.

#2 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:49 AM

I really liked the trial Kintaro, and it taught me a lot about using LRMs properly. Positioning is everything.

#3 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:53 AM

Which trials are worth it? All of them (except the Nova). Just keep playing them and developing your skills as a new player. It's a bit frustrating since you can't add modules or kit out your efficiencies, but they really offer you a widow into their playstyle. In my opinion the Blackjack is one of the best of the trial mechs - it has a decently polished loadout and I'd honestly run something similar or the same if I decided to buy any Blackjacks. And I'd definitely keep the XL. The hitboxes aren't bad, and the maneuverability is really useful. Shadowhawk isn't bad either, I just don't like its playstyle as a personal taste. =P

The Spider is kinda useless without speedtweak and some modules in my opinon, but the loadout is actually good. The machine guns are worth more than you think if you use them right, but it's a bit of a learning curve to get into their playstyle.

The Kitfox is a weird build.

The Cataphract might be worth a shot (I forget what's on it) and I remember having a lot of success with the Victor.

I assume you're working on eliting your Jenners? (there's really no reason to run a Jenner K anymore because the D is better)

Edited by Tarogato, 31 October 2014 - 10:57 AM.

#4 Sakuya Nishizumi

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:21 AM

Yeah I figured I'd use the K first to get the more painful variant out of the way. Grabbing the Jenner D first, then lastly the F.

As for the Blackjack, I really want to like it. It's almost like a baby Jagermech. I'd probably be more comfortable with it if it was a long-range platform, though.

#5 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:22 AM

I'm a medium pilot by choice, but I've done really well in the DWF. I've only played 3 or 4 matches in the thing, but I had a 4.0 KDR with it.

#6 Sakuya Nishizumi

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:26 AM

Also, the Cataphract is not in my rotation.

Summoner, Orion, Quickdraw, Dire Wolf, Highlander, Victor.

#7 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:43 PM

View PostTarogato, on 31 October 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

Which trials are worth it? All of them (except the Nova). Just keep playing them and developing your skills as a new player.

This.

Learning what you DON'T like, or aren't very good at is just as important as finding out what works for you. I created an alt account a while back so I could retry the NPE after they added a lot. Of all the trial mechs I had the best luck with the Blackjack and (I was actually shocked by this) the Firestarter. I don't know that the BJ is actually the best mech for new players since I'm sure a part of why I did so well with it was that I had experience with both the chasis and AC/20s. The Firestarter took me by surprise as on this account I HATE light mechs. Can't normally do a thing with them. So yeah, just try everything at LEAST once and better a few times each if you can just to make sure your one bad/good game wasn't a fluke. Also try different tactics with each chasis. One you have already dismissed might be better if you use it differently.

#8 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:17 PM

If your FPS is low, you are going to have a hard time... I went from just under 20, to 35-40+ with a new vid card.. It was like i suddenly got 3x better aim.. Save some cash, and upgrade, Black friday sales at newegg.com are key.. and don't wait till cyber monday.. some of new eggs best sales will start wed night..

that said.. Have you thought about running mechs with LRM's or streaks.. these really help a lot with lower FPS computers. Another thought is a Gauss sniper. Granted most of these will require you to make some money. But catapults, and stalkers are good LRM/sniper mechs.

Now if i could only find where they hid the trial mechs, i could of looked to see if anything popped at me..

#9 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostTim East, on 31 October 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

I really liked the trial Kintaro, and it taught me a lot about using LRMs properly. Positioning is everything.

I was so sad when they took the Kintaro out of the trial options :( the spider is a decent build but like someone else said you need to understand machine guns. Pick targets with open armor and shave components off with the mg's. I had a hard time with he spider 5k until I approached it as mg's as primary weapon and laser as secondary for poking early in the round and giving you something to do while you look for damaged opponents.

#10 5LeafClover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 317 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:59 AM

It's certainly cliche`, but I'd go with Shaddowhawk. It's got the range to avoid brawling, so kinder on your FPS. Plus it has armour enough for some ruggedness. Also, if you decide to buy one later, they're not too expensive to kit out.

As for firestarter, the mastery pack is amazing value. But now that I bought it, I've not enjoyed the chassis as much as others.

#11 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:29 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 02 November 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

Now if i could only find where they hid the trial mechs, i could of looked to see if anything popped at me..

In the Mech Lab, button on the left side labeled, "Trial".

Jody

#12 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:31 PM

View PostSakuyaSama7, on 31 October 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

My playstyle is scoot and shoot long range. I'm really bad at brawling, and some maps my FPS just doesn't let me brawl.

Spider: A single ERLL. Will this actually deal damage by itself? Just need that tiny bit of damage to qualify for an assist. Jerk move, but I have my reasons.

You can deal a lot of damage with this Spider.
Just use it to scout and long range sniping at the beginning of the battle. Switch later in the battle to close range combat with the 4 Machine Guns, and pick out damaged mechs - it's easy to rip of a leg or arm with the machine guns when the location has no armor.

Kitfox: Too spread out in terms of weapon groups. SPL feels like I'm only tickling 'Mechs

It's the Spider in slow. Use the ER-Large Laser for long range sniping during the first phase of the battle.
Use the LB X5 AC against damaged Mechs, also at long range.
The Streak SRM and the Small Pulse Laser are back up Weapons against faster Mechs.

Firestarter: Almost no point in running this over my Jenner JR7-K, aside from having AMS.

Try using armlock of. And even with both arms blown of still able to fight.

Blackjack: Currently my favorite out of the Mediums, though I'm pretty sure this thing packs an XL engine. Not too happy about that.

Easy to play, and yes, it has a XL Engine... otherwise the AC20 won't fit with that speed.

Nova: Too many ERMLs.

2 Weapon Groups, one for the left arm, one for the right arm.
This mech isn't realy simple to play, stay with your team, don't be the first who moves out of cover (or around a corner) and keep a strict dicipline when firing the weapons (6 ER-Meds will put you at 42% up to 55% Heat !).
The key is to fire only one group at a damaged Mech, and the second group when the heat is below 50%. With with tactic, it's a killer.

Shadowhawk: PPC is alright, AC/5s, too. Probably would take this over the Blackjack now for sniping.

Since the nerf of the PPC speed out of meta, but still usefull at mid range.

Summonner: I like the Summonner, but like most trial 'Mechs, it's too spread out. I guess I'm expecting too much.

Use the ER-PPC for sniping, the LRM for indirect fire and the LB-10X AC against damaged mechs.
Stay with your team, and keep a low profile until your team comes under fire.
The Summoner is very agile, and it's easy to move behind enemy mechs (or over hills).

The rest I just feel like I'm being overwhelmed with the sheer amount of groupings. I want loadouts that are intuitive.

Put the Groups 4 & 5 on your left and right mouse button.
Use the left button for the weapons in the left arm, the right for the weapons in the right arm.

Use the firing groups 1, 2 & 3 (the keys easy to reach then playing with WASD) for other weapons like LRMs or Streak SRMs.
You can also use the other buttons of your mouse, but assign at least one (like the wheel button) to targetting.
Picking out damaged Mechs is the best way to use your weapons, and targetting the enemy is the first step.

#13 CimaGarahau

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWesternmost Germany

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:32 PM

If there are trial lights I always use them. I personally prefer speed and high maneuverability!

Edited by Eclair Farron, 03 November 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#14 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

My advice? Play them all for the x2 bonus you get. Reason being is if you ever decide that you want to buy the non-trial 'mech variant with C-Bills and/or MC you can apply the stored XP you earned piloting them. When I first started I was constantly piloting the Spider 'mech and when I finally bought it I had nearly 80k 'mech xp built up so the grind was worth it in the end. 'course.. you still have to buy two more variants and build up the 'mech xp for those to be able to master it but still..

#15 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:49 AM

summoner prime is really bad,lacks armor and ammo.

Blackjack champion is really good,i had really good times with it when i started this game.

#16 CimaGarahau

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWesternmost Germany

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:05 AM

Well, also depends on the pilot who's in that certain mech! Just would like to add that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users