Question On Laser Duration Quirk

14 replies to this topic

#1 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:34 PM

Sorry...tried to google this and just came up with a lot of topics talking about specific mech builds.

When the quirk "Laser duration" is shown, does this mean the laser does less damage? Or does it mean it's the same damage delivered over a shorter beam-period? I am not clear on whether it is a positive or negative quirk.

Edited by Sadistic Savior, 31 October 2014 - 01:34 PM.

#2 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:36 PM

Positive quirk - the same damage in less amount of time.

I agree, it's a confusing nomenclature. ;)

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:38 PM

ALL of the new IS quirks are positive ones, keep that in mind if you're not sure whether a modifier is positive or negative :)

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:01 AM

the Laser duration quirk means for the same amount of damage the laser has a shorter burn time;
e.g.
the Large Laser does 8 damage regardless of duration, it needs to be held on target for the full burn time (usually 1 full second) to deal max damage, with a 25% duration quirk it only takes 0.75 seconds to deal full damage.

also as I believe the cooldown before next shot starts when the laser beam shuts off this should (I have not tested it) also increase fire rate

#5 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:49 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 01 November 2014 - 03:01 AM, said:

the Laser duration quirk means for the same amount of damage the laser has a shorter burn time;
e.g.
the Large Laser does 8 damage regardless of duration, it needs to be held on target for the full burn time (usually 1 full second) to deal max damage, with a 25% duration quirk it only takes 0.75 seconds to deal full damage.

also as I believe the cooldown before next shot starts when the laser beam shuts off this should (I have not tested it) also increase fire rate

Yes the cooldown for lasers starts when the laser stops firing, so this does increase the rate of fire.

#6 SICk Nick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:06 PM

does laser duration also affect pulse and er?

#7 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:32 PM

Duration = Length of time the weapon takes to deal 100% of its damage from the time you unload/fire the weapon to the time it finishes unloading/firing.
Cooldown = Length of time it takes the weapon to become available to unload/fire again after the initial unloading/firing of the weapon.

View PostSadistic Savior, on 31 October 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

Sorry...tried to google this and just came up with a lot of topics talking about specific mech builds.

When the quirk "Laser duration" is shown, does this mean the laser does less damage? Or does it mean it's the same damage delivered over a shorter beam-period? I am not clear on whether it is a positive or negative quirk.

When it says Small, Medium or Large Laser in the quirk it is geared towards Small, Medium or Large and it includes both regular and pulse laser types. So Small Laser + Small Pulse Laser, Medium Laser + Medium Pulse Laser and Large Laser + Large Pulse Laser and ER Large Laser.
That quirk stacks with the one that doesn't specify size of laser.

View PostSICk Nick, on 15 November 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

does laser duration also affect pulse and er?

Edited by RazorbeastFXK3, 15 November 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#8 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:54 PM

View PostRazorbeastFXK3, on 15 November 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

When it says Small, Medium or Large Laser in the quirk it is geared towards Small, Medium or Large and it includes both regular and pulse laser types. So Small Laser + Small Pulse Laser, Medium Laser + Medium Pulse Laser and Large Laser + Large Pulse Laser and ER Large Laser.

Pretty sure that is incorrect. There are specific quirks for pulse and standard lasers, just like there are specific modules. There is a generic energy weapon quick that works for all types.

#9 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:56 PM

And you are correct. I apologize about that.. I looked up the list of quirks and yes, there are separate quirks for regular lasers and pulse lasers. https://static.mwome...re%20Quirks.pdf

View PostGauvan, on 15 November 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

Pretty sure that is incorrect. There are specific quirks for pulse and standard lasers, just like there are specific modules. There is a generic energy weapon quick that works for all types.

#10 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:57 PM

Yes, there are both generic quirks and single weapons specific quirks. Be careful when reading quirks and modules to be sure you get the right one.

#11 Hemholtz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:57 PM

So the 'laser duration' quirk only affects small-large lasers would that be correct? Not pulse or ER lasers?

#12 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:09 AM

View PostHemholtz, on 15 November 2014 - 11:57 PM, said:

So the 'laser duration' quirk only affects small-large lasers would that be correct? Not pulse or ER lasers?

No, it would affect all lasers. Let's look at an example.

SDR-5V
  • Medium Pulse Laser Range +12.5%
  • Energy Weapon Range +12.5%
  • Medium Pulse Cooldown +12.5%
  • Energy Weapon Cooldown +12.5%
  • Medium Pulse Duration -12.5%
  • Laser Weapon Duration -12.5%
  • Medium Pulse Heat Generation -12.5%
  • Energy Weapon Heat Generation -12.5%
  • Reverse Speed +12.60%
Quirk #1 only effects Medium Pulse Lasers, giving them a bonus to range. Quirk #2 effects all energy weapons, so all lasers (standard, ER, and pulse), PPCs, Tag, and flamers get the bonus.

Quirks #1 and #2 stack, so if you equip medium pulse lasers they will have a 25% total bonus.

The quirks for range, cooldown, and heat all have generic versions that apply to "energy" weapons (#2, #4, #8). But the generic version of duration applies only to "laser" weapons. Why is that? It's because of the way the energy weapons that aren't lasers work--PPCs, for example, act like projectile weapons so a duration bonus is meaningless to them. So to avoid confusion the generic version of the duration quirk is specific to lasers instead of "energy" weapons (which would include PPCs, Tag, and Flamers).

Edited by Gauvan, 16 November 2014 - 11:41 AM.

#13 Dragons Bereft

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:59 AM

There is a lot of trailing off topic to the original question. One guy just listed some mech quirks to put on a clinic of stacking bonuses but I would like to bring this back to the original and the only reason this question about that quirk should ever be asked or considered: I'll try to be a little more specific.

Quite late in the FIREPOWER skill tree there are skills (or quirks, feh nomenclature) that have mount point icons pertaining to that kind or type of weapon its affecting. Yellow star for ENERGY, Purple bullets for Ammo fed and a Cyan rocket for well -hmm, rockets? Yep!

This question is for that Quirk, the one specific to ENERGY, with the Yellow icon in the top of its hexagon that simply says DECREASES LASER DURATION.

Finally, the question of weather or not it will affect pulse laser duration (Clan Micro Pulse all the way to Clan ER Large Pulse and yea even Inner Sphere ones too.) because on one hand, if you get to do its full damage on fewer pulses that's a win win (and something that'll be too good to be true and will succumb to the next nerf, i mean update) -OR- it cuts off the number of pulses which lowers its damage-per-pew-pew (or bum-bum-bum-bum-bump) and no one wants to see that many face palms and frowny faces..

So, how does this one skill (or quirk) affect pulse lasers and pulse lasers only?

Thanks,
ZDN

#14 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:45 AM

View PostZilDaN79, on 02 June 2019 - 02:59 AM, said:

There is a lot of trailing off topic to the original question. One guy just listed some mech quirks to put on a clinic of stacking bonuses but I would like to bring this back to the original and the only reason this question about that quirk should ever be asked or considered: I'll try to be a little more specific.

Quite late in the FIREPOWER skill tree there are skills (or quirks, feh nomenclature) that have mount point icons pertaining to that kind or type of weapon its affecting. Yellow star for ENERGY, Purple bullets for Ammo fed and a Cyan rocket for well -hmm, rockets? Yep!

This question is for that Quirk, the one specific to ENERGY, with the Yellow icon in the top of its hexagon that simply says DECREASES LASER DURATION.

Finally, the question of weather or not it will affect pulse laser duration (Clan Micro Pulse all the way to Clan ER Large Pulse and yea even Inner Sphere ones too.) because on one hand, if you get to do its full damage on fewer pulses that's a win win (and something that'll be too good to be true and will succumb to the next nerf, i mean update) -OR- it cuts off the number of pulses which lowers its damage-per-pew-pew (or bum-bum-bum-bum-bump) and no one wants to see that many face palms and frowny faces..

So, how does this one skill (or quirk) affect pulse lasers and pulse lasers only?

Thanks,
ZDN

This post originated in 2014, well before the "new" Skill Tree was implemented (they're referring to quirks added to mech chassis, and were understandably confused about the language). I'd recommend reading the timestamp before replying.

#15 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:47 PM

[mod]As the original discussion had ended, this thread has been closed.

Please move further discussion to more recent, relevant threads.[/mod]

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users