Can Someone Give Me A Breakdown On This System.

11 replies to this topic

#1 Diamond Shiver

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:25 PM

I built this system 2 years ago to play MWO... I stopped using it a year ago and just recently had to put it back together to get the game going.

I have updated all the system patches (windows 7) and moved the game install from a solid state drive to a dedicated hard drives. I updated the drivers for the video card.

I'm not sure what else I can do but I get low 20 to 30 variable rate FPS and I am pretty sure my machine was operating much better than this a year ago. Any thoughts, or what have you?

Machine specs (sorry for it being so wordy, copied it from Newegg).

EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL
Intel Core i5-3570 Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53570
Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

#2 MFZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:46 PM

Are you sure you are running the game off the GeForce and not the CPU-internal graphics card/unit?

#3 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:22 AM

are you running dx11 or dx9? dx11 utilizes the vidcard more also for intel chips try disabling hyperthreading (check hardware or workaround in mwo forums).
i think i also read somewhere (i could be wrong) turbo boost can hurt more than help performance and true overclocking would help more.

#4 Worm Seraphin

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 92 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:14 AM

Try to get a full range of performance using the games graphics options. Try all low first, then all ultra high, see how the fps compares. Then try the advanced options turning off particles.
This should give you an idea of whether the graphics or the cpu/memory are bottlenecking the system. And don't forget you need to clear the games shader cache whenever you change graphics options.

Edited by Worm Seraphin, 02 November 2014 - 09:16 AM.

#5 Texugo87

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 179 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:35 AM

You have a very similar system to me, (actually you have a better graphics card) and I get 50-60fps on medium to high settings. Can you confirm that you have the i5 3570 and not the 3570k? The K allows overclocking.

What graphic settings are you using, and are you using the DVI port on your graphics card, or on your motherboard?

#6 Diamond Shiver

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry it's taken me a little while to get back to you but I just moved back to the US from China.

I am running the internal card (though, it's a good question as when I first re-set up my machine I had plugged it into the MOBO without thinking about the graphics card (yikes!)

I have been running DX9 instead of DX11, I will flip the switch and see how that compares.

I will look into turning off multithreading (though I don't know why that would make a difference now. I've used this system a year ago without too many changes and my performance was better).

Need to change the games shader cache... Okay.

cjmurphy what resolution do you run in? And I'm currently using the HDMI port from the graphics card (would it make a difference to switch to the DVI?)

I don't believe I have the k or it'd be listed in the description but I'll doubel check.

Thanks again, and I hope to get this issue sussed out soon.

#7 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:00 PM

look at my specs below, yours are better. i run game at very high settings 1080 with only particles/object detail/environment on high and avg between 46-58 fps per match with the odd sink into the high 20's if the particles get crazy on HPG or in thermal vision. i am also using dx11.

something is definitely amiss here, and i5's dont have hyperthreading far as i know so u dont need to try and turn that off.

Edited by Summon3r, 03 November 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#8 poohead

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

This is a real mystery. I have a similar setup but a 3570K at 4.4Ghz, and I can do everything at max except particles at 1080p and get 50+ fps.

Apart from reinstalling everything (game first, then if that doesnt work, OS and game), the only other thing I can think of is a hardware fault. Quickest way to test that is to see if other games have worse performance. If they do, reinstalling probably wont help.

If it's hardware, it could be your graphics card or processor. Try tracking the temp of your processor using coretemp, see if it is getting too hot and throttling (you may need a new cpu cooler if so). You can use something like GPU-z to track your GPU usage and temperature. If the temps are high this could be an issue, if GPU usage is low then your cpu may be the problem. Is your HDD always being accessed? That can cause slowdowns due to HDD faults.

Sometimes stuff just breaks when you don't use it for a while, unfortunately :/

#9 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:24 PM

i5s' don't have HyperThreading.

Could I get you to reinstall the video drivers, using Display Driver Uninstaller?

I'm stretching, here, but do you have the drive(s) pluged back into the same spots on the mobo as before?

Edited by Goose, 03 November 2014 - 12:24 PM.

#10 Texugo87

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 179 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:24 PM

View PostDiamond Shiver, on 03 November 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry it's taken me a little while to get back to you but I just moved back to the US from China.

I am running the internal card (though, it's a good question as when I first re-set up my machine I had plugged it into the MOBO without thinking about the graphics card (yikes!)

I have been running DX9 instead of DX11, I will flip the switch and see how that compares.

I will look into turning off multithreading (though I don't know why that would make a difference now. I've used this system a year ago without too many changes and my performance was better).

Need to change the games shader cache... Okay.

cjmurphy what resolution do you run in? And I'm currently using the HDMI port from the graphics card (would it make a difference to switch to the DVI?)

I don't believe I have the k or it'd be listed in the description but I'll doubel check.

Thanks again, and I hope to get this issue sussed out soon.

I run 1920x1200 DX9 (noticed deeper dips in FPS with with dx11), V sink on, Damage glow on, Effects medium, Object detail high, particles medium, post processing medium, shading high, shadows low, texturing very high, environment high, AA off.

I have a 3570K currently running at stockish settings (was experiencing instability that turned out to be power supply and haven't gotten around to re-overclocking), all other system stats are functionally equivalent except I run a 7870 LE Tahiti, which I believe your card should be superior to. As far as I'm aware HDMI and DVI should offer the same performance, but maybe someone else will weigh in.

As someone else chimed in you may have driver problems, I would uninstall your current drivers and reinstall the most up to date ones.

Try running some benchmarks, find out if this is a system wide problem or MWO specific.

Also have a look at what your video card and CPU temperatures are doing in game, you might be hitting some sort of thermal throttling.

Edited by cjmurphy87, 03 November 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#11 Diamond Shiver

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:31 AM

Thank you all for your time and help.

#12 Texugo87

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:06 PM

Did you get it sorted out?

1 user(s) are reading this topic