Seriously? Mech Cloaking? Oh God...

23 replies to this topic

#1 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:08 PM

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Raptor_II

That mech has a form of cloaking for mechs? And as if it isnt annoying and ******** enough in human shooters, this game has it in some form to?

I know in clix that Nullsig gear made it pretty much impossible to hit the mech with it....I think it added like 12 defense or made it 30 or something....

I really hope MWO never ever sees a gear like this....

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:09 PM

Urbanmech already has Void Signature System, and watches you while you sleep.

#3 NovaFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:20 PM

It's designed by the Word of Blake.

We don't talk about those guys.

#4 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:21 PM

The Jesus Box already has Null Sig, so not all that different. Although the Magic Jesus Box doesn't generate the 10 heat of Null Sig.

This should be generating 16 points of heat per turn, or 1.6 heat per second. That means your 2.3 H/s dissipation of your 10 2.0 engine DHS are being reduced to 0.7 H/s... you'll be worse than 10 SHS when this is activated, without additional cooling.

That would be a nice balancing factor. Shame the Jesus Box has no penalties.

#5 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:29 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 01 November 2014 - 07:08 PM, said:

That mech has a form of cloaking for mechs? And as if it isnt annoying and ******** enough in human shooters, this game has it in some form to?

I know in clix that Nullsig gear made it pretty much impossible to hit the mech with it....I think it added like 12 defense or made it 30 or something....

Not to worry. It'll be at least 23 years before it gets built.

#6 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:40 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 01 November 2014 - 07:21 PM, said:

The Jesus Box already has Null Sig, so not all that different. Although the Magic Jesus Box doesn't generate the 10 heat of Null Sig.

This should be generating 16 points of heat per turn, or 1.6 heat per second. That means your 2.3 H/s dissipation of your 10 2.0 engine DHS are being reduced to 0.7 H/s... you'll be worse than 10 SHS when this is activated, without additional cooling.

That would be a nice balancing factor. Shame the Jesus Box has no penalties.

The Magic Jesus Box is going to be counterable at 360m away with active probes starting from next patch, I believe. Up from 120-150m as of now.

#7 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:43 PM

View PostTriordinant, on 01 November 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

Thats the only good part about the gear lol.

#8 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:43 PM

View PostScratx, on 01 November 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

The Magic Jesus Box is going to be counterable at 360m away with active probes starting from next patch, I believe. Up from 120-150m as of now.

That's gonna be so helpful when those buggers are sniping at you with dual ERLLasers, from 900 meters away.

Edited by El Bandito, 02 November 2014 - 02:37 AM.

#9 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:50 PM

View PostScratx, on 01 November 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

Which, instead of giving AP a useful purpose, becomes an even larger counter to the Jesus Box.

It will certainly have an effect.

#10 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:51 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 01 November 2014 - 07:50 PM, said:

Which, instead of giving AP a useful purpose, becomes an even larger counter to the Jesus Box.

It will certainly have an effect.

Well, at least the Kosher will benefit from it...

#11 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:55 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 November 2014 - 07:51 PM, said:

Well, at least the Kosher will benefit from it...

That was my first thought.

#12 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:07 PM

It the sensor range/ target lock time getting a buff?
Detecting K/D/R-preservers? 150m seems kinds 'meh'.
non-LOS locks? Didnt it do that in BT?

#13 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:14 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 01 November 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

It the sensor range/ target lock time getting a buff?
Detecting K/D/R-preservers? 150m seems kinds 'meh'.
non-LOS locks? Didnt it do that in BT?

That would be my preference, rather than countering the Jesus Box. Of course, giving it a utility would be much more difficult, so PGI has chosen it to be the official Magic Jesus Box counter, aside from another Jesus Box.

A 120M 1.5 ton Seismic, that also lets you lock on and detect mech loadouts, could be kinda handy.

#14 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:26 PM

In game terms, VSS just made it easier to get the +2 to-hit advantage on an opponent (that is you give any opposing unit a higher to-hit modifier than you give yourself through movement, etc.). As it only gave any to-hit benefits the less you moved (the fastest you could run and still get benefits was 5 hexes, ie 48kph). The only other way to manage that was to run or jump 10 hexes in one turn. It also hid you from mechs outside of 15 hexes (which made the Raptor II one of the best LRM spotters). That +10 heat per turn was rough though, considering it really only gave you benefits if you were moving less than 6 hexes per turn (if I remember right). None of the mechs that had it were terribly overpowered (that I know of) since they would never add a mixtech Quad Gauss abomination with VSS.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 01 November 2014 - 08:28 PM.

#15 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:40 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 01 November 2014 - 08:26 PM, said:

In game terms, VSS just made it easier to get the +2 to-hit advantage on an opponent (that is you give any opposing unit a higher to-hit modifier than you give yourself through movement, etc.). As it only gave any to-hit benefits the less you moved (the fastest you could run and still get benefits was 5 hexes, ie 48kph). The only other way to manage that was to run or jump 10 hexes in one turn. It also hid you from mechs outside of 15 hexes (which made the Raptor II one of the best LRM spotters). That +10 heat per turn was rough though, considering it really only gave you benefits if you were moving less than 6 hexes per turn (if I remember right). None of the mechs that had it were terribly overpowered (that I know of) since they would never add a mixtech Quad Gauss abomination with VSS.

Yeah, but added into MWO, it would be like Planetside 2's Infiltrator class and it's cloaking. We would have like mediums and lights just wandering around either shimmering, or just hard to see.....

Eitherway, it would either be OP as hell, or UP and people would QQ until it was made OP.....but reaally, im just sick of seeing cloaking in every modern game........Ghost Recon Phantoms makes it the most absurd.....total invis.....

#16 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:53 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 01 November 2014 - 08:40 PM, said:

Yeah, but added into MWO, it would be like Planetside 2's Infiltrator class and it's cloaking. We would have like mediums and lights just wandering around either shimmering, or just hard to see.....

Eitherway, it would either be OP as hell, or UP and people would QQ until it was made OP.....but reaally, im just sick of seeing cloaking in every modern game........Ghost Recon Phantoms makes it the most absurd.....total invis.....

Well who doesn't want to see optical camouflage in a futuristic war game? I know BT was a blend of medieval and futuristic war sim, but it's bound to include some other aspects as the game continues. Not to mention I'm pretty sure the Exterminator had fluff that it had some sort of cloaking system long before the Dark Age was a twinkle in Jordan Weisman's eye.

Just saying that's damn near akin to saying that you're tired of every cyberpunk story having some cybernetics or hackers in the current day and age. Not that you should expect VSS, CLPS, or NSS anytime soon as they are either extremely rare or not even invented for another 17 years or so.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 01 November 2014 - 08:54 PM.

#17 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:49 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 01 November 2014 - 08:53 PM, said:

Well who doesn't want to see optical camouflage in a futuristic war game? I know BT was a blend of medieval and futuristic war sim, but it's bound to include some other aspects as the game continues. Not to mention I'm pretty sure the Exterminator had fluff that it had some sort of cloaking system long before the Dark Age was a twinkle in Jordan Weisman's eye.

Just saying that's damn near akin to saying that you're tired of every cyberpunk story having some cybernetics or hackers in the current day and age. Not that you should expect VSS, CLPS, or NSS anytime soon as they are either extremely rare or not even invented for another 17 years or so.

Cuz cloaking is one of those things you can never really defend against......your just walking along, scanning, nothing...then BAM ur dead.....and its like, well that was fun......

It makes it almost stupid and suicidal to even move.......then cloaking eventually becomes the game.....

#18 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:30 PM

ah like ECM works lol

View PostTriordinant, on 01 November 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

assuming they ever restart the timeline (and the clock doesnt count, that resets every year)

#19 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:47 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 01 November 2014 - 09:49 PM, said:

Cuz cloaking is one of those things you can never really defend against......your just walking along, scanning, nothing...then BAM ur dead.....and its like, well that was fun......

It makes it almost stupid and suicidal to even move.......then cloaking eventually becomes the game.....

Calm down on the hyperbole.
  • They aren't impervious to sensors, and they aren't completely cloaked unless they are standing still.
  • Once a part of it is destroyed (like a section is blown off), it is no longer functional.
  • While active the mech produces 10 heat per turn (which is huge on anything that can't boat ballistics).
  • Requires ECM, not sure if being countered affects the system or not, but it is possible.
Honestly what you should be worried about isn't mechs that can one shot you, it is the mechs like the noisy cricket that would be dangerous.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 01 November 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#20 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:24 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 01 November 2014 - 10:47 PM, said:

Calm down on the hyperbole.
  • They aren't impervious to sensors, and they aren't completely cloaked unless they are standing still.
  • Once a part of it is destroyed (like a section is blown off), it is no longer functional.
  • While active the mech produces 10 heat per turn (which is huge on anything that can't boat ballistics).
  • Requires ECM, not sure if being countered affects the system or not, but it is possible.
Honestly what you should be worried about isn't mechs that can one shot you, it is the mechs like the noisy cricket that would be dangerous.

Maybe in this game there would be sufficient counters to it. But Ghost Recon Phantoms? They literally have no counter to it. The only way to see it is, if for a split second, you just happen to be looking at the very spot he runs past you can briefly see a shimmer, you just fire and hope you guess the right spot he is a moment later...that game is OHK sniper Recons and SMG recons, only the fools take the other classes...

Planetside 2? While they make the shimmer fairly easy to see, it is still insanely easy to miss it and just have 1 or 2 infils pretty much ruin the day and dominate like mad. They even have full cloak mode, called Stalker, while they lose thier SMG/Sniper, they do get next to complete invis until you happen to walk on them and wonder..."why cant I move"? Then shoot the spot and thats usually them lol...Planetside 2 currently has alot of infils with SMGs running around.

So, not much hyperbole, just what ive experienced with cloak in other games.....it isnt fun unless you are the cloaker....

And even in MWO, if it isnt impervious to sensors, its not like we get constant sensor detection, so it would be very easy to blip on the radar, and be gone by the time anyone gets there. It would be very powerful, given our current sensor and visual system. Then our radars are only to our front arcs, and continuous movement doesnt generate excess heat like TT....1 heat per movement, so that wouldnt slow it down. We already have 100 heat threshold, so its not like the user of it couldnt be in cloak mode nearly incessantly. Pop out somewhere safe for 5 seconds to cool off and bam, back in he goes to pork the back off another mech. It wouldnt be any less powerful or annoying here then it is in other games.

But, if we could counter it with ECM, I could see it having a harder time, but still.....just stay clear of the ECM mech...

It would be insanely powerful on the new Cicada, with that PPC quirk and bonuses it gets. That would be the truly strong point of the gear....that would really make it annoying. Some Cicada with a PPC or 2 standing off on the edge of the map sniping you, cloaking, sniping, cloaking......zipping away before you ever get near him, snipe, cloak......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users