75 replies to this topic

#1 Kroxloq

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:09 PM

What builds have been working for you other AS7-S pilots? Nothing I have created has worked in slightest for me. It is stomp after stomp for me in this death trap.

I have tried:
4 ML
SRM24
AC20
No range, LRM eats me. Can't brawl, too hot with ghost heat on SRM launchers.

3-4ML (TAG taking 1 energy slot at times)
Lrm 30-40 (various launchers)
ac20
ECM destroys me, can't out-alpha DWF's or even medium mechs that get close and swarm due to terrible torso twist times.

2ml
2 LL/ERLL
2 srm6
2 LRM10
LBX10
No alpha, different lead times lbx vs srms
LRMs wasted in close
Still slow as molasses, can't torso twist to spread any damage

4ML
4 SRM2
LBX10
Again no range. I thought the similar recycle times on LBX and SRM2 would enable sweet DPS build style, but no luck.

My engine selection has ranged from STD300-330.

My Builds have Double Heat Sinks and Endo-Steel.
Am I screwed until I can get 2x basics?

This might also be a problem of not knowing how to atlas. My Atlas DDC does well, but that has the crutch of ECM. Ghost Heat while firing 4 SRM launchers or 4 LRM launchers seems to just destroy what I would want to do with this 'mech. DDC has ECM and no ghost heat...which seems to make the 'mech sing better for me. But this new flashy mech has hero bonus...so I want to take advantage of that.
I have browsed the other AS7-S build threads, but nothing has appealed to me or had any revelations.
What have you more seasoned Assault 'mech pilots found that works for this AS7-S 'mech?
Thanks!

#2 RedEagle86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:35 PM

It's been a while since I ran Atlas 'Mechs with any regularity, but I was able to fully elite my -S with the following two builds.

Brawler: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ea4c5bded4900a2

Support: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ef5516e5cb302c9

#3 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:06 PM

move between cover, torso twist to shield with arms, there is NO S key on an Atlas, accept the fact that you're already dead and you will be able to do your job as a soldier

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7d88804aee2b156

#4 Kroxloq

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:42 PM

LOL thanks for the builds and advice guys! =)

#5 UndeadEdd

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:25 AM

try this:
AS7-S (STD 300, 2xLL, 2xML, AC20, 3xASRM6, ALRM10)
It softens up targets from medium range and then obliterates them from up close. This is what I wanted to make out of the D variant but just didn't have enough missile hardpoints.
Yes, you will be slow and will overheat, but with DAT ALPHA usually when you overheat the enemy will already be dead.

Edited by UndeadEdd, 04 November 2014 - 01:28 AM.

#6 Alekzander Smirnoff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 427 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:38 PM

This is what I do with mine, so far it has worked very well for me: AS7-S. Decent speed, for a 100 ton mech. Great up close brawling damage, lrm 20 to lob some damage back at ranged targets. Thing's a beast, runs hot but if you can manage your heat well, then this thing is a killing machine. Easily my favorite atlas now.

Edit: Also with no ams, you need to hump that cover.

Edited by Alekzander Smirnoff, 04 November 2014 - 07:39 PM.

#7 UndeadEdd

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:37 AM

OK, after fiddling a bit, trying to make it work with SRM4's as this model's quirks recommend, I realized that I just can't handle more than 3 different direct fire weapon groups. Firing the LL, AC20, ML and a group of SRM4 is just too much of a hassle. So now I'm trying out this "ZOMG annoying noob 4xLRM5 boat" build: AS7-S (2xLPL, AC20, 4xLRM5, 2xMPL)
The 2xLPL + AC20 provide a deadly pin-point damage combination at medium ranges, the 4xLRM5 provide super annoying and devastating stream of LRM rain. The MPL are a good backup weapon and with the extra 2 heat-sinks you're less likely to overheat. Yes, had to remove the Artemis IV upgrade from my previous build for this.

Edited by UndeadEdd, 09 November 2014 - 12:40 AM.

#8 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:40 AM

Here is what I run on my AS7-S
2x LL, 2xML, 1x AC20 w 3.5t, 3x SRM4 w 2t.

The LL are my only range weapon, so will have to spend the early part of the match moving between cover to get to the front line. Once in firing range, let everything rip, but watch the heat this mech shutdown with 2 alpha.

*updated.
Remove 1xSRM4 to avoid ghost heat, install an extra DHS and a ton of AC20 ammo, swap the half ton SRM for AC20, bring it up to 24 shots.

Edited by xengk, 12 November 2014 - 12:48 AM.

#9 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:15 PM

View Postxengk, on 09 November 2014 - 06:40 AM, said:

Here is what I run on my AS7-S
2x LL, 2xML, 1x AC20 w 3.5t, 3x SRM4 w 2t.

The LL are my only range weapon, so will have to spend the early part of the match moving between cover to get to the front line. Once in firing range, let everything rip, but watch the heat this mech shutdown with 2 alpha.

*updated.
Remove 1xSRM4 to avoid ghost heat, install an extra DHS and a ton of AC20 ammo, swap the half ton SRM for AC20, bring it up to 24 shots.

This is sorta of what I run on my AS7-S. Well, the weapons are the same, 2 LLs, 2 MLs, 4xSRM4 (4t) & AC/20 (4t). The thing is, I drop all those extra heat sinks, add endo-steel and upgrade to a 325 engine.

This biggest thing you need to realize is that it is not an alpha strike mech. The LLs (which could be ERs if you like) are your ranged or sniping weapons. If you see a target at range, splash 'em with some lasers, or if something is running buy with an open ST, throw the lasers at them so you can splash some damage into that area and hope to take it off.

Note, I just said the LLs. The MLs are back up weapons, you don't use 'em unless you're missing a side torso...or if you know something's just about to come around the corner and you want to put 80 points of damage on to them. Then you hit alpha strike.

Then you've got the AC/20 & the SRMs. Your main weapons. Keep the AC/20 and the SRMs on separate triggers and keep the SRMs on chain-fire, don't link-fire them.. I had such a blast with them today unlocking the Module slot on this thing. With the quirks, fast fire and a tier 5 module that by the 4th salvo is away, the first is gone off cooldown and is ready to go. It's like the 6xLRM5 CPLT-A4. You can put out an unending stream of SRM fire, punctuated by AC/20 shots. Granted, this thing only has 13 DHS (well, you could drop half a ton of armour from each leg and add in a 14th) and I think it triggers ghost heat, so you can't do it forever, but you can give a bunch of mechs a very bad day.

One fight today I dropped a Banshee, a Timber Wolf, a Hellbringer and a Battlemaster all in short order with salvo after salvo of SRM4 fire.

edit: you can fire SRM4 salvos for about 15-20 seconds straight without over heating. Adding in the AC/20 cuts it down to 10-15 seconds worth of fire.

Edited by ShadowbaneX, 30 November 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#10 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:02 PM

Tried a troll build to get mastered, turns out it works wonderfully.
4xlrm5(fired as 1 group) ac20 +1 mpl(group1) 3 ml(group2).

The lrm5 group is never chain fired its a lrm20 with a better cooldown.

The other 2 groups are easy to see, simple mech to play and its good at all ranges.

Normal play style is to wait for a good solid lock and let her rip early game, once mid to late game is achieved and your armor is still 90% you can start to close the gap, while still spamming lrms and finish stuff off with a close range alpha!

Solid performer on all maps since its not limited by any playstyle niche!

#11 Decoy3

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:35 PM

The Atlas is really best served as a brawling mech. It's almost always better to play to your strengths rather than try to cover your weaknesses. Pugging is sometimes a crapshoot on whether or not you can brawl, but that's the nature of the beast. I've still found it more effective on average to try and force a brawl than to try and play the ranged game.

This is what I used to elite mine. Set the front/rear armor to your preference, I just hit the max armor button. No endo because I still don't have enough space bucks saved up for four full module sets. Not sure why there's Artemis though, maybe I was drunk? Or I built it out before quirks and never dropped with it? Anyhow, once you're within 200m of a mech, that mech dies.

If I were going to make a significant investment in an IS mech, I'd probably swap the 6 packs for 4s and drop Artemis. Endo will let me stop skipping leg day. The ML only get used after a torso or two has been lost. YMMV and you might rather 2 DHS.

Edited by Decoy3, 06 December 2014 - 06:47 PM.

#12 Mr D One

• Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:49 PM

View Postknightsljx, on 02 November 2014 - 06:06 PM, said:

move between cover, torso twist to shield with arms, there is NO S key on an Atlas, accept the fact that you're already dead and you will be able to do your job as a soldier

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7d88804aee2b156

My comrade is right, however if you pilot with a little flair and, ahem... dare. You can survive and post amazing scores like this...

http://www.f8l.co/page/starcitizen

and this..

http://www.f8l.co/53...chievements-vy6

if you are starting out on the basic levels, strip 2 med lasers, replace one with a tag, keep your short range punch, but do squeeze in a lrm 10 at least. You can rack up great xp and c bills from missile assists.

once you have some c bills get a 350 standard engine, (the extra 7 km speed boost makes you feel like your flying.) get seiz, radar derp, srm 4 cool down and kit out the AS7-S thusly..

http://www.f8l.co/board/53616

Piloting any Atlas should be treated as an honour, not a chore.

#13 Decoy3

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:36 PM

View PostDar1ng One, on 06 December 2014 - 06:49 PM, said:

wut?

#14 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:41 PM

IMO, part of the key to success for a brawling Atlas lies in the DDC's ECM variant. The -S is great fun, but suffers that lack of ECM to keep people a bit confused on where to shoot etc.

I run twin LPL (center and right arm), AC20 (4 tons ammo) and a 350 STD on mine and have great fun in it. Finding it reasonably effective in pugs, but would not add it to our competitive DROPDEC anytime soon, even in matches that were IS tech only. Left side is entirely for shielding....no need for SRM's/STRKS for that reason imo, since they are going to get carved off before you get alot of use from them.

Edited by Lukoi Banacek, 06 December 2014 - 07:42 PM.

#15 ScorpionNinja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:42 PM

well PGI needs to give ALL ATLASES QUIRK +25% TORSO TWIST SPEED/RATE increases!!!

#16 John80sk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:09 AM

1) too small of an engine, up that to a standard ~350
2) LRMs do not go on Atlas. If you want LRMs bring a stalker or an Awesome.
3) Yes, you are semi-screwed in most assaults until they have speed tweak.
4) I would recommend not bothering with the arm energy slots. 4 energy will run too hot, and your arms are shields anyways.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4ba293353d49442 <-my current preferred build.

In all honesty though, the Atlas is a mech that requires teamwork. With a mobile team that can get in close to the enemy it can perform quite well. Unfortunately, even with the greatest teamwork on the planet the Direwolf is still hands down, flat out superior.

EDIT: side note on my build. The 2ML are for when you're out of ammo, a zombie, or need that extra 10 points to finish a mech. Leave them out of your normal firing rotation.

Edited by John80sk, 07 December 2014 - 02:12 AM.

#17 Sillen

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:26 AM

I've loved LRM's in my Atlas' since closed beta. The -S wants

4xLRM10+A
4xLRM15
3xLRM15+A

Any of the above with 10ton ammo and 2xML, 1xTAG and BAP

Atlas brawling is for the other variants, the -S wants to rain the pain

#18 H I A S

• 4,971 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:53 AM

View PostSillen, on 07 December 2014 - 03:26 AM, said:

oh my god, pls not...

#19 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 07 December 2014 - 04:06 AM

Reduce your srm24 to srm 16 add artemis increase your engine size with the weight saved srm4 and you can squeeze in AMS if you chose, I do, as it also works on all missiles, and fit 4 ml's this build needs a 340 standard gets you over 60kph with speed tweak and makes a surprising amount of difference in your mobility.

modules I think should be used are, radar dep, range for the srms, cooldown for the ac20, the others persona choice but of the rest I think target info and hill climb are the better ones

The reduced tubes cycle far faster and you can ripple fire or just slam the lot in though I find ripple fire is usually best, this gives much more consentrated fire than 4 srm6.

Some builds have been taking off the ml and being just srm6 and ac20 builds but this takes away its ability to zombie, though some will argue that once a atlas is in zombie mode its dead.

There are a lot of situations you need those arm lasers, because pilots will know how little you can depress and raise those torso mounts.

Best way to use this build is leading in a death ball of about 4 mechs so you need to be aware in PUGS of if your own team are following as much as where the enemy mechs are, doesn't matter what build your in if your isolated in an atlas your dead most of the time, so if you do get caught do not slam into reverse if there is a gap go forward, your still probably dead, but you'll be more effective than trying to reverse out, as timid always fails aggressive will sometimes net you kills and you might even survive.

#20 John80sk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 04:20 AM

View PostSillen, on 07 December 2014 - 03:26 AM, said:

I've loved LRM's in my Atlas' since closed beta. The -S wants

4xLRM10+A
4xLRM15
3xLRM15+A

Any of the above with 10ton ammo and 2xML, 1xTAG and BAP

Congratulations on building a slower, less heat efficient, lower DPS LRM boat Awesome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users