102 replies to this topic

#61 Taemien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:56 AM

That Cicada is hilarious. I hope you keep it as a main character.

Excellent job as well with the entire production.

#62 PLEXI

• PipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 90 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:47 AM

The next episode of All Systems Nominal has been released! This episode was a blast to make and I hope you all enjoy it. :) Next month's episode will be another CW chapter.

I would love to hear everyone's feedback; both good and bad. I definitely recognize the pacing towards the end of the episode was way too quick; ambition colliding with time constraints.

#63 GenJack

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 271 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:59 AM

Love this soo damned much!

#64 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:22 AM

View PostPLEXI, on 09 June 2015 - 09:47 AM, said:

The next episode of All Systems Nominal has been released! This episode was a blast to make and I hope you all enjoy it. :) Next month's episode will be another CW chapter.

I would love to hear everyone's feedback; both good and bad. I definitely recognize the pacing towards the end of the episode was way too quick; ambition colliding with time constraints.

Your art and the animation looks more and more polished each episode! Half expected the MLX's soon-to-be-released bigger brother to step in at the end....

#65 Dru The Blue

• Pip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:32 AM

Hi! Your videos are all great, keep up the good work. I personally would like to see more of the CW themed ones! TY

#66 PremithiumX

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 61 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:38 AM

Swamp monster! Yes! I try to shoot that thing everytime I see it.

#67 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:40 AM

we gonna see more clan mechs? I enjoyed your timberwolf howling XD.

Edited by KursedVixen, 09 June 2015 - 11:41 AM.

#68 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:06 PM

Any new Patreon mechs in this latest video?

#69 PLEXI

• PipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 90 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:57 PM

View PostHeffay, on 09 June 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:

Any new Patreon mechs in this latest video?

SirDubDub's Valkyrie Hunchback makes a small cameo in this episode and will play a larger role in the follow up episode to Bug Stompers.

View PostKursedVixen, on 09 June 2015 - 11:40 AM, said:

we gonna see more clan mechs? I enjoyed your timberwolf howling XD.

The next CW chapter will feature plenty of IS vs Clan carnage!

#70 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:57 PM

View PostPLEXI, on 09 June 2015 - 09:47 AM, said:

very cool.... but did the Mist Lynx morph into a Firestarter at the end?

#71 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:28 PM

That is the derpiest King Crab I've ever seen in my life. Posted Image

But I like it, it's so appropriate.

Definitely confusing at the end, how the MLX morphed into the Firestarter. You could have shown both mechs in front of the bogmonster at once to prevent this.

And yes, I agree it was a little fast paced across the board (almost all of your episodes are). Why are you worried about time constraints? You're really good at using emptiness/stillness as a form of comic relief, so you'll want to preserve that for sure. But there's some scenes that go by sometimes that are almost faster than I can take in and I have to watch it multiple times for full effect. You definitely want to keep things fast paced, but be careful in not going overboard. Just my 2¢. :)

Edited by Tarogato, 09 June 2015 - 06:29 PM.

#72 PLEXI

• PipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 90 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:16 PM

Haha, my favorite is the Derpshee.
Posted Image

I can definitely understand how you guys are reaching that conclusion. Those scenes are so quick and do not feature any sort of establishing shot. Me needing to further explain is definitely a big failure on part of the visual storytelling. Essentially the gist is that the MLX has baited the FS9 even further away when the bog monster shows up.

In regards to time:
The difficulties with time constraints is that I have the set goal of developing one episode per month. Between work and other responsibilities I only have so much time to dedicate to whichever episode I am working on and that is where the difficulty in juggling comes into play. (Thankfully Patreon has allowed me to dedicate a bit more time to the cartoon, hence the visual improvements). So as the deadline draws closer I usually need to end up sacrificing scenes that end up outside of scope.

Occasionally I have to cut a bit more than I would like to and in this episode's case certainly more than I should have. Part of that difficulty is also the amount of experimentation; it creates a few variables and means I do not have a consistent time table that I can reference for how long it might take me to do a scene other than my best guestimation.

A lingering problem that will likely persist; so long as I am still seeking a comfortable quality level of animation and primarily focusing on the more technical aspects. A more serious review process during production and more involved storyboarding process I am sure would help and I will try those first.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

#73 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:15 AM

Good job Plexi. Keep up the great work.

#74 Viperoo

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:35 AM

Why is there a centre 'dead pixel' in the system nominal startup screen? All us OCD people can't stop but scratch at it... :0

#75 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:26 AM

thanks

#76 PLEXI

• PipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 90 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:00 PM

View PostViperoo, on 10 June 2015 - 01:35 AM, said:

Why is there a centre 'dead pixel' in the system nominal startup screen? All us OCD people can't stop but scratch at it... :0

I must be blind, I do not see it. Would you mind pointing it out via a screen grab so I could fix it?

View PostGillopi, on 10 June 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:

to be honest i would love to see a really good cartoon like the battle tech one should have been

That is exactly what I would like to strive for, however, by myself I can only do so much when releasing content on such a short cycle. SirDubDub has been hard at work on his own more serious oriented animated shorts and I cannot wait to see his final product, which may be closer to what you are seeking.

#77 shellashock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 439 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:09 PM

View PostPLEXI, on 09 June 2015 - 07:16 PM, said:

Haha, my favorite is the Derpshee.
Posted Image

I can definitely understand how you guys are reaching that conclusion. Those scenes are so quick and do not feature any sort of establishing shot. Me needing to further explain is definitely a big failure on part of the visual storytelling. Essentially the gist is that the MLX has baited the FS9 even further away when the bog monster shows up.

In regards to time:
The difficulties with time constraints is that I have the set goal of developing one episode per month. Between work and other responsibilities I only have so much time to dedicate to whichever episode I am working on and that is where the difficulty in juggling comes into play. (Thankfully Patreon has allowed me to dedicate a bit more time to the cartoon, hence the visual improvements). So as the deadline draws closer I usually need to end up sacrificing scenes that end up outside of scope.

Occasionally I have to cut a bit more than I would like to and in this episode's case certainly more than I should have. Part of that difficulty is also the amount of experimentation; it creates a few variables and means I do not have a consistent time table that I can reference for how long it might take me to do a scene other than my best guestimation.

A lingering problem that will likely persist; so long as I am still seeking a comfortable quality level of animation and primarily focusing on the more technical aspects. A more serious review process during production and more involved storyboarding process I am sure would help and I will try those first.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

To be honest, I think that it would be more appreciated if you would spend the extra amount of time you need to polish an episode or finish off those last few frames if need be instead of locking yourself into a once a month schedule. I have had no problem patiently waiting for you to finish episodes because you seem to have high quality standards for your work. It would be a pity to lose that extra degree of polish that makes this series hilarious because you want to keep within a schedule.

Above all, communicate if you will be experiencing a significant delay. People can usually deal with schedules that are spaced far apart if they come at a regular pace, but we can get nervous if there is a serious deviation from schedule without explanation. If you truly feel that it is worth the extra time to polish an episode; communicate it here and I would expect 90% or more of your viewers to agree with you and continue to wait until you deem it ready.

EDIT: In case you didn't notice, I am very much a quality>quantity kinda guy.

Sincerely: shellashock

Edited by shellashock, 10 June 2015 - 01:10 PM.

#78 PLEXI

• PipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 90 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:57 AM

That is completely well deserved criticism shellashock and I appreciate it. Trying a very new process of development for the next episode and it will hopefully address this issue.

#79 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:04 AM

As a loving fan of this series, I also would like to say I'd love to see longer waits and more polished episodes than shorter waits and less-polished episodes.

Take your time man, we've been fans of BT since the 80's, we can wait longer for episodes. :P

#80 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:24 AM

I wonder if Plexi could take request for people who want to have their units included in these episodes? If so, that would be awesome!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users