Mwo Might Be The Only Mech Game Left?

187 replies to this topic

#121 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:55 PM

Guys...

Hawken is confirmed alive! :) Reloaded Games took it.

http://www.pcgamesn....nths-of-silence
http://www.google.co...mMU17II3aTSCJZg

Well news broke much earlier, but yeah confirmed.

Edited by luxebo, 15 March 2015 - 04:56 PM.

#122 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

Looks like Reloaded Games knows their F2P business stuff.

You can't run a games business like a boy scout. Adhesive and Meteor games were angels and idealists. You can buy a mech for what, $6? HTF do you expect to pay the developers and the servers then? They are not as greedy as PGI, which turned out to be a bad thing. Without a proper ecosystem, the game dried up as soon as the startup funds did.

Greed is good.

#123 AdamBaines

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:29 AM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 21 November 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

The people developing the games and operating these businesses grew up watching these movies and TV series (well maybe not Farscape or Firefly). .

Your right, and maybe thats why they are not as good. Those two are the best out of the ones you mentioned. If you don't have that has part of your base diet of SciFi, there is not hope.

#124 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:50 PM

Is there any way to suggest a game to developers? They probably wouldn't listen to an individual but maybe if we came as a community? I demand democracy in the game industry! Seriously though,would a petition do anything? I'd like to see a game that includes mechs as they would be in real life. A game with infantry in exoskeletons or armor, with small mechs for fire support and scouting, walkers for heavier weaponry, and quad artillery, along with modern day AFVs, IFVs, MBTs, and other armored vehicles. A game where mechs don't rule the battlefield, they are just another alternative to get the job done. Artificial muscles are already being designed that run on absurdly small amounts of power and provide thousands of times the power of biological muscle at many times the speed that will be very cheap to make once they start being mass-produced. They can also repair themselves, and because they work linearly and not rotationally the only viable use for them is in a walking machine, not a machine with wheels or treads. Also, because they're extremely light, the mech could still have sufficient armor. The researchers say they could be finished in about a decade, so the game could be set in as soon as 2025, which is why modern day vehicles could still show up on the battlefield. If a professional team won't do it there's also the possibility of modding an existing game. Anyone have any input on this? I'd rather not see the mech genre die and it would be good for MWO to have some competition. It'll keep them from getting lazy and push them to do better. Either way it's a win-win.

#125 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:54 PM

AWOL - if you want to start a petition I say let's do it, but honestly - the chances seem pretty slim. Unless we happen to have anybody on the forums who is part of something like a vehicle sim dev team.

#126 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:37 PM

View PostAWOL 01, on 16 March 2015 - 02:50 PM, said:

Is there any way to suggest a game to developers? They probably wouldn't listen to an individual but maybe if we came as a community? I demand democracy in the game industry! Seriously though,would a petition do anything? I'd like to see a game that includes mechs as they would be in real life. A game with infantry in exoskeletons or armor, with small mechs for fire support and scouting, walkers for heavier weaponry, and quad artillery, along with modern day AFVs, IFVs, MBTs, and other armored vehicles. A game where mechs don't rule the battlefield, they are just another alternative to get the job done. Artificial muscles are already being designed that run on absurdly small amounts of power and provide thousands of times the power of biological muscle at many times the speed that will be very cheap to make once they start being mass-produced. They can also repair themselves, and because they work linearly and not rotationally the only viable use for them is in a walking machine, not a machine with wheels or treads. Also, because they're extremely light, the mech could still have sufficient armor. The researchers say they could be finished in about a decade, so the game could be set in as soon as 2025, which is why modern day vehicles could still show up on the battlefield. If a professional team won't do it there's also the possibility of modding an existing game. Anyone have any input on this? I'd rather not see the mech genre die and it would be good for MWO to have some competition. It'll keep them from getting lazy and push them to do better. Either way it's a win-win.

Sounds like Battlefield 2142, or at least, an updated version of it.

#127 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:17 AM

View PostStompingOnTanks, on 16 March 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

AWOL - if you want to start a petition I say let's do it, but honestly - the chances seem pretty slim. Unless we happen to have anybody on the forums who is part of something like a vehicle sim dev team.

I'll see what I can do. I just started a new semester so it might be a little while before I get a chance to write anything up but I'll post it here or make a new topic when I have an outline. Then anyone can provide input or say what they'd like to see in this game.

View PostAnjian, on 16 March 2015 - 07:37 PM, said:

Sounds like Battlefield 2142, or at least, an updated version of it.

An updated version of Battlefield 2142 would be fantastic. It wasn't the best game but it was pretty awesome. Personally I'd like it a little less sci-fi, but they did a great job with the Titans and other new vehicles. Another thing is that we don't really need a second Ice Age or any other apocalyptic occurrence to prompt us to start a war like in BF 2142. We've been starting wars over much less for thousands of years already. But I guess that's just part of sci-fi. It would be cool to see this new game have these new vehicles and modern vehicles developed by existing countries and be able to paint them with each military's camos and decals. It could be similar to picking a faction in this game or in War Thunder where you have an unlock tree for each country where the player could unlock more vehicles, camos, and upgrades depending on which country you're fighting for. By having modern vehicles combined with newer designs it would as open the game up to more people. It could attract gamers that prefer realistic simulators but also gamers that are interested in sci-fi, mechs, etc.

#128 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:08 AM

What we basically need is a more realistic Gungriffon.

An alternate-universe taking place in the near future where a variety of humanoid, chicken walker, and quad mechs fight alongside Abrams tanks and attack helicopters.

We could add location-specific damage, maybe even WWII fight sim style damage simulation where damage to specific parts degrades performance. A single shot from a 120mm gun could blow off a leg or set off your ammo, or simply bounce off depending on where it hits. It could have FPS-like controls allowing for jumping, sprinting, crouching, and lying down, but the mechs would still have weight and heft to their movement like they would in real life.

It could be a real mech sim - not just another mech shooter, or even a "realistic" mech shooter like MWO, but the honest-go-goodness, no-frills, actualy MECH SIM that the mech community deserves! Man, we should get a dev team together and kickstarter this stuff.

#129 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:20 PM

I have all the skills and friends to do something like this, but I would not do anything without expressed license to the MW i.p.

To be frank, MWO is close enough to my proof of concept called Homeworld that I could add more to PGI and community warfare than I could justify starting a new project.

#130 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

View PostStompingOnTanks, on 17 March 2015 - 08:08 AM, said:

What we basically need is a more realistic Gungriffon.

An alternate-universe taking place in the near future where a variety of humanoid, chicken walker, and quad mechs fight alongside Abrams tanks and attack helicopters.

We could add location-specific damage, maybe even WWII fight sim style damage simulation where damage to specific parts degrades performance. A single shot from a 120mm gun could blow off a leg or set off your ammo, or simply bounce off depending on where it hits. It could have FPS-like controls allowing for jumping, sprinting, crouching, and lying down, but the mechs would still have weight and heft to their movement like they would in real life.

It could be a real mech sim - not just another mech shooter, or even a "realistic" mech shooter like MWO, but the honest-go-goodness, no-frills, actualy MECH SIM that the mech community deserves! Man, we should get a dev team together and kickstarter this stuff.

That is EXACTLY what we need. I wish I could've played GunGriffon but I've watched plenty of gameplay videos. It's sad that MWO is considered the most "realistic" mech game with 12 meter tall 100 ton vehicles with lasers, ballistic weapons that have a maximum range of a couple hundred meters, and "long-range" missiles that only shoot 1000 meters. Whenever I play War Thunder I can't help but wish I could take a mech out instead of a tank just to see how it performed.

View PostMechregSurn, on 17 March 2015 - 01:20 PM, said:

I have all the skills and friends to do something like this, but I would not do anything without expressed license to the MW i.p.

To be frank, MWO is close enough to my proof of concept called Homeworld that I could add more to PGI and community warfare than I could justify starting a new project.

Are you really interested in a project like this? It wouldn't be set in the BattleTech universe or use anything from MWO so there wouldn't be any legal problems. I have a ton of ideas and design concepts/concept art if it would help. I'm also studying Mechanical Engineering so I have access to a lot of information to make the mechs perform realistically and can do some programming if that would help as well. I'm pretty serious about making this happen. I would really like to see a game do mechs justice.

#131 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:01 PM

Also a "Homeworld" was released in 1999.

#132 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:11 PM

I looked it up and it looked like more of a space sim? What exactly was it? MechregSurn said it was similar to MWO but I couldn't really tell how.

#133 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:44 PM

View PostAWOL 01, on 17 March 2015 - 04:11 PM, said:

I looked it up and it looked like more of a space sim? What exactly was it? MechregSurn said it was similar to MWO but I couldn't really tell how.

Its a long running three dimensional tactical strategy space game. I think he just happen to reuse the name for his proof of concept. Homeworld is currently owned by Gearbox and the Ip is apparently being lent to a new studio comprised of some of the original studio that made it.

I also agree that he would do best to leave MWO to PGI and take his own proof of concept in a wholly different direction.

#134 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:09 PM

Mixing contemporary tanks, helos, fighters, ships with humanoid mechs and walkers, you might also like to look at the Front MIssion universe. The games in the series were actually turn based strategy games, but the last one, Front Mission Evolved, was subcontracted to a Western developer which turned into an FPS + mech simulator hybrid.

Here is Gungriffon for those who doesn't know about it.

Gasaraki is an anime series that depicts realistic mechs in contemporary modern situations dealing with combined arms (infantry, tanks, etc,.) Director did Dougram and Votoms as his previous works.

#135 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:06 AM

View PostAnjian, on 17 March 2015 - 07:09 PM, said:

Mixing contemporary tanks, helos, fighters, ships with humanoid mechs and walkers, you might also like to look at the Front MIssion universe. The games in the series were actually turn based strategy games, but the last one, Front Mission Evolved, was subcontracted to a Western developer which turned into an FPS + mech simulator hybrid.

Front Mission 4 is by far my favorite mech game. The only way they could've made it better was if they had added multiplayer. The mechs moved like they had weight, they used realistic, existing weaponry, and it was set in a world that you can actually connect with. I did like Evolved but it didn't feel the same as Front Mission 3 or 4. Of course because it wasn't a turn-based strategy game, but the world and mechs didn't feel the same.

From what I've seen GunGriffon looks pretty great. The only thing I'd rather not see is flying mechs. If you want to have an air vehicle use a helicopter or jet. Putting legs on it is only taking away from its performance. Legs are used for walking. I could see maybe putting some kind of boost system to help it jump, but not flying under its own power.

Gasaraki is an anime series that depicts realistic mechs in contemporary modern situations dealing with combined arms (infantry, tanks, etc,.) Director did Dougram and Votoms as his previous works.

I've never seen that anime before. I've seen some Votoms and Patlabor though. I could never enjoy the crazy animes with mechs boosting everywhere and looking ridiculous, but these ones I actually enjoy. I'll have to check out more Gasaraki.

#136 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:56 PM

In the meantime you can also watch Argevollen free in Crunchyroll (legally licensed). This is a recent anime only finished shown last year. No flying mechs, just ground based, with some boosting, mostly gunfire and some melee close up. The show is rich in social commentary and messages about the arms industry. We have not seen an anime like this since Gasaraki, Votoms and Dougram.

#137 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:44 AM

Another thing that this game would need is good maps. Is there anything against using actual places in games? Just pick a number of places from each country/faction that is available in the game and use them as the maps. That would allow for the most realistic environments possible, rather than trying to even out the playing field by making the maps symmetrical or cutting down open space so snipers and missiles are less effective.

#138 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:09 AM

Someone made a matchbox car style racing game that used Google earth to generate the maps. Of course you wouldnt want to use their property but could make your versions of real locations as long as you were respectable/realistic about it. You would have to watch out for that would have your game illegal or banned in some locations(like France could potentially nail you for images of the Eiffel tower[Its a protected "Art Installation"]).

Edited by XphR, 19 March 2015 - 09:11 AM.

#139 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:58 AM

So the original intent of this topic was to argue that MWO no longer has any competitors.

I just wanted to chime in that MW4 with the latest MekTek patches is now available for download from ModDB. Once I get my computer back up and running I'm probably going to try it out, so if anyone gets sick of MWO then just remember that MW2 and MW4 are now legally available for free online.

So yes MWO is the number 1 Mech game for PC right now, that's true. Doesn't make the older games any less fun though so keep that in mind if anyone wants to play a multiplayer match or 2 on MW4.

Edited by Pezzer, 19 March 2015 - 10:59 AM.

#140 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:42 AM

and thats why these other mech games fail, the make this into a game which is super unrealistic, one mech to own an entire army, tanks aim like they are what ? fromt he 1930's manned with fully drunken pilots? How is that "realistic" when tanks fail aim like this?

Oh god that looks just idiotic and this would play similar pointless.

Edited by Lily from animove, 19 March 2015 - 11:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users