187 replies to this topic

#21 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:09 AM

I tried hawken for a bit. In fact got my brother into it but i never got on with the ultra supreme ten year old hyperactive haphazard arcade life in fast forward game. Sure it was well done visually but the chaotic and sporadic game play put me off so when my brother asked for a match with his friend i had another go took me 15 minutes to get the right resolution working and played probably 30 mins of the game and quit. I had no idea what was going on!

Was still however a good game with plenty of potential but the typical FPS arcade style ruined it for me. Mwo isn't without flaws but yeah i'm still addicted to the darn thing so it's clearly got something going for it. MWLL was er.....interesting, novel and varied but not quite got something. Never took an interest in MWT their webpage just put me off asking for money immediately!

#22 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

View PostAnjian, on 07 November 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

Hawken literally died after beta. That is unfortunate because their beta was really fun, especially in the server that had 10v10 and 12v12 playing. The matches I had then were to this day, unforgettable and forever etched in my memory.

It's still in beta.

#23 Void2258

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:19 AM

It will be a sad day when MWO is the only mech game left standing. That will vindicate Piranha's total disregard for community feedback, horrible pay-2-win business model, focus on style over substance, and insanely high prices. If I had known what game they were making I never would have gotten a founder pack, or spent any money whatsoever on this steaming pile.

Edited by Void2258, 16 November 2014 - 07:21 AM.

#24 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:28 PM

I'm really sad I missed the hey-day of MWLL. I got it loaded up the other day and there's usually two or three people on, but even just through that I saw a lot of things that I was missing from MWO. Why DID it die? Why can't it exist side by side to MWO? I'm aware there was that confusion with PGI, and the developers stopped for... various... reasons, but what happened to the community?

#25 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:31 PM

Well, MWO gave people what they wanted. That's why they won the mech wars.

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 16 November 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

I'm aware there was that confusion with PGI, and the developers stopped for... various... reasons, but what happened to the community?

There never really was a sizable community. 50 people was a good night. As for why they only got that while MWO gets hundreds of times more as a conservative estimate... well, there is probably a reason for that.

Edited by Heffay, 16 November 2014 - 02:30 PM.

#26 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:17 PM

Heavy gear is going pretty strong, but that's all I can tell you.

For those who aren't in the know, it has mechwarrior styled damage systems (much, much more detailed and intricate), but the gameplay is more like unreal than mechwarrior. Your robot gundam has rollerblades for moving really fast, and you can pick up and change out your weapons on the fly. Also melee combat with anything from fists, to knives, to halberds, to vibro-katanas.

If you check the site, they usually have anywhere from twice weekly to single monthly updates on stuff they like to show off, and there's a separate forum for non-alpha stuff where you can ask questions.

I'm kinda sad that hawken ended up the way it did, too, but there wasn't any real way to avoid the crash. From what I hear, they're getting bought out by someone 'soon.' Even their volmods all quit, leaving the forum in the hands of a couple regular forum users, who have partial mod powers.

If you want to play another robot game RIGHT NOW, there's also MAV you can check out. It's made by a crew of one man, but it's pretty fun. Very different to mechwarrior and heavy gear. It's more like chromehounds than a traditional mech game.

Edit: oh, I almost forgot Dark horizons. It's on steam, and marketed as 'early access,' but not really early access. This is very much a spiritual successor to mechwarrior 4.

So no, robot games are far from dead.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 16 November 2014 - 04:22 PM.

#27 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:47 PM

I saw this the other day

#28 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:47 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 16 November 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

I saw this the other day

Looks like an entire game where you pilot the battle armor from the final battle in the Matrix III against the sentinels.

---------------------------------------
On another note, I spotted this on Steam the other day:
Project Nimbus

Kind of a dumb name if you ask me, but looks cool. Definitely fast paced mech combat, not slow and menacing like MW.
Basically it looks like a company that went "hey we really want Armored Core for PC, so lets make Armored Core for the PC but not call it Armored Core for the PC"

Steam reviews are very positive, and the game is in early access now.

Can't possibly compare to the awesomeness of Armored Core, but still looks cool.

#29 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:24 AM

Coming soon

#30 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:11 AM

Oh, Heffay, regarding MW:LL .
Ye, community is/was small-ish, mostly because too many people couldn´t be asked to follow an installation procedure that has been very meticulously noted down :(

On the flip-side, the MWLL community held events like OP Viper, where 100+ people in different teams for both sides where on simultaneously, fighting 8 hours straight for a corner of the IS, giving some of the best campaign-style gameplay I´ve ever encountered so far besides tactical events for ArmA with 40+ players .
It even had a season of invading the IS, but that came apart due to some factions ignoring rules and blatant cheating (you guys know, who you are ^^ ) .

And then came the death-stab : PGI, closing down development of MW:LL due to exclusive rights for MW IP (non-profit license was revoked by rights holder in favor of cold hard cash ).
While I can fully understand the fiscal logics behind this it was still a death sentence for a product of love, sweat and tears which could easily have co-existed with MW:O (ifnot even profited from each other, but thats just wasted coolant, so eff it), further enrichening our ever-smaller growing universe of mechanical aggression therapy through battlemechanoids of any kind .

Needless to say, MW:LL´s community went vapor-ware, with only a few die-hard lovers still playing it and even adding new maps .

So much for that, fact stands still that we need MOAR MECHS, whatever we all might be thinking about whichever mechgame and its associated companies !

#31 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:22 AM

View Postxeromynd, on 18 November 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

Looks like an entire game where you pilot the battle armor from the final battle in the Matrix III against the sentinels.

---------------------------------------
On another note, I spotted this on Steam the other day:
Project Nimbus

Kind of a dumb name if you ask me, but looks cool. Definitely fast paced mech combat, not slow and menacing like MW.
Basically it looks like a company that went "hey we really want Armored Core for PC, so lets make Armored Core for the PC but not call it Armored Core for the PC"

Steam reviews are very positive, and the game is in early access now.

Can't possibly compare to the awesomeness of Armored Core, but still looks cool.

what has this to do with mechs? that is basically
an fps game with flycheat = true.

View Postxengk, on 20 November 2014 - 02:24 AM, said:

Coming soon

I remember that trailer, and WOW; its so bad. I mean what are these games made for? looking awesome by mixing robot with weired physic breaking any kind of realism, add some martial arts style and oversized tanks as opponents? This game is so miles away form anything that a mech game should be.
Remove those mechs with some half naked overboobed girls and it looks like any other generic action tps game the asian make. It's like they didn't even tried.

Edited by Lily from animove, 20 November 2014 - 07:16 AM.

#32 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:36 AM

Coming soon

GOD

DAMN

Well thank you for sharing. This looks like everything I'd wanted Titanfall to be.

#33 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:37 AM

I was raised on Armored Core. It was the first game we got for the PS1 and I played it with my dad and brothers all the time. The original 3 were fantastic, and the first few for PS2 were great, but then it turned into this crazy game that could pretty much be summed up as airplanes with legs and absurd amounts of firepower. It was like Ace Combat with mechs instead of planes. I liked how the first few at least seemed realistic, so It's pretty disappointing for me how the series turned out. I think if there were a game where mechs, tanks, infantry, and air vehicles all fought together, as it would be in real life, more people would be interested in the mech genre.

Wait, didn't they already make a game like that?...

Also, it would be cool to see a game that takes place in the near future that has mechs in it. Militaries don't just throw away old models of vehicles, so we could see M1A1 Abrams and Challenger MBTs, but with the advances in carbon nanotube muscles, they'd be fighting alongside huge stompy robots we all know and love. How cool would that be?

#34 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:44 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 20 November 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

I remember that trailer, and WOW; its so bad. I mean what are these games made for? looking awesome by mixing robot with weired physic breaking any kind of realism, add some martial arts style and oversized tanks as opponents? This game is so miles away form anything that a mech game should be.
Remove those mechs with some half naked overboobed girls and it looks like any other generic action tps game the asian make. It's like they didn't even tried.

As I understand, Project HON is technically not a mech game.
The mech are more like amour suit, similar to Heavy Gear.
Which explain their flexibility and kung fu, of course this just game fluff for the game design.
From the poster, they seem to be about the size of 2 to 3 human adult.
Spoiler

Would like to see what sort of health system it use, the standard single health bar like every FPS, or compartmental health like MWO and Front Mission.
The cable grab and "car shield" intrigues me though.

More information should be available tomorrow after the press launch in G-Star 2014 today.

Mech/suit design seem to borrow heavily from Armour Core and Front Mission.
I played every Front Mission game, so Giant Enemy Tank are acceptable for me.

Transforming into a turret and the bridge background reminds me of Metal Rage, another class based robot FPS.

Edited by xengk, 20 November 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#35 PYR0MANCER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:21 PM

View PostStompingOnTanks, on 05 November 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

...but what I'm interested in is now that MWO has set the standard...

If MWO is the standard... We are in trouble...

#36 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:33 PM

View PostTyros the Pyromancer, on 20 November 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

If MWO is the standard... We are in trouble...

There is always MW:LL if you prefer it over MWO...

#37 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:47 PM

Coming soon

All of my yes. Anything like Armored Core V I will buy and play the life out of.

View PostLily from animove, on 20 November 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

Who needs realism when you can fight building-sized tanks, use Humvees as shields and slide-skate along the side of a building while ripping enemies to pieces with a combination of environment melee and gun-fu?

Edited by StompingOnTanks, 20 November 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#38 PYR0MANCER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:57 PM

View PostHeffay, on 20 November 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

There is always MW:LL if you prefer it over MWO...

I don't own the game the mod is based off of and though I forget what game it is, I remember not wanting it. as far as playing MWLL, I wish I could have, looked good for what it was, but it is past it's prime, and there is that thing about having to buy a game I don't want. An old one at that.

However, I can enjoy playing MWO while pointing out that it has a ton of problems and could be so much better on so many levels. I'm complicated like that...

#39 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:00 AM

View PostTyros the Pyromancer, on 20 November 2014 - 08:57 PM, said:

I don't own the game the mod is based off of and though I forget what game it is, I remember not wanting it. as far as playing MWLL, I wish I could have, looked good for what it was, but it is past it's prime, and there is that thing about having to buy a game I don't want. An old one at that.

However, I can enjoy playing MWO while pointing out that it has a ton of problems and could be so much better on so many levels. I'm complicated like that...

You don't need the original game to play MW:LL anymore. They packaged up the files and it's (a bit more) stand alone now.

#40 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:56 AM

Project Hon really taking after Armored Core V and Verdict Day. Like those menacing helos dropping mechs from the sky. Just so badass to see a whole fleet of the helos dropping mechs in a full scale invasion of the City against Father.

Edited by Anjian, 21 November 2014 - 05:58 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users