• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:27 PM

View PostAUSSIETROOPER4, on 21 December 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

That could be construed as fraud.

It's a bit like mechwarrior tactics. I figure they'll get destroyed by Valve here soon.

#82 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:04 PM

all this talk of Armored Core 5's CW reminded me of how well the handled the defense of occupied areas, being allowed to setup and modify defensive installations and equipment were one of my favorite things in the series...

(though it's rock-paper-scissors gameplay really took away from it.)

...and i hope beyond hope that MWO gets a similar setup for garrison units and the like.

#83 Colonel Fubar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 650 posts
  • LocationPlanet Agoge in the Mitera System

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:01 PM

Our Universe is big enough for a few more distractions. :)

Edited by Danny Fubar, 22 December 2014 - 07:05 PM.

#84 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:31 PM

View PostStompingOnTanks, on 21 December 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

Not sure what you mean by that, FPS is the most popular video game genre.

That's exactly why its a mistaken assumption, because FPS is not. At least online that is.

The most popular online games right now?

Clash of Clans --- MMO RTS (100 million downloads in Google Play alone)
League of Legends --- MOBA Over 70 million registered
World of Tanks --- Simulation, third person shooter Over 110 million registered
DoTA 2 --- MOBA Over 45 million registered.

#85 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:59 PM

One franchise I missed is Metaltech: Earthsiege.

Ironically Metaltech is created by both FASA and Dynamix, which created the first Mechwarrior game.

What I like about Earthsiege is the simple forbodding lore --- it takes place on Earth, a sheer battle for humanity's survival against a robotic overlord known as the Cybrids. You pilot giant machines called HERCS, and every mission is a desperate battle on Earth against an inhuman relentless enemy.

Earthsiege evolved into Starsiege where after the Cybrid base on the Moon was destroyed, the battle is taken to other parts of the Solar System.

Missionforce Cyberstorm takes the battle to the stars while Mankind becomes increasingly in its own threat, as the Corporations began taking over. This is probably one of the best turn based tactical mech game I ever played, if not the best.

More time has passed, and the age of HERCs and Cybrids has long past and gone, with Mankind now in the stars and contending among itself as Starsiege: Tribes. From then on, it evolved into the Tribes timeline.

#86 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:26 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 21 December 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

A chinese company actually bought them out ages ago. I believe the chinese version is just as dead as the western one, however.

Unless I'm terribly uninformed - which I'm probably not, being Chinese myself and following gaming scene in both languages - that is simply not true. AFAIK Hawken was licensed and published in China, but never really took off.

You know what's interesting? Hawken received about three times of kickstarting money than MWO, was hyped to mars and back, and two years down the line Hawken is basically dead while MWO is still pumping out new content (albeit overdue promises, but still). I really think the dev of Hawken just took the money and ran off. After all their team is like no more than 20 people.

Edited by Helmstif, 22 December 2014 - 10:26 PM.

#87 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:07 PM

View PostAnjian, on 22 December 2014 - 07:59 PM, said:

One franchise I missed is Metaltech: Earthsiege.

Ironically Metaltech is created by both FASA and Dynamix, which created the first Mechwarrior game.

What I like about Earthsiege is the simple forbodding lore --- it takes place on Earth, a sheer battle for humanity's survival against a robotic overlord known as the Cybrids. You pilot giant machines called HERCS, and every mission is a desperate battle on Earth against an inhuman relentless enemy.

Earthsiege evolved into Starsiege where after the Cybrid base on the Moon was destroyed, the battle is taken to other parts of the Solar System.

Missionforce Cyberstorm takes the battle to the stars while Mankind becomes increasingly in its own threat, as the Corporations began taking over. This is probably one of the best turn based tactical mech game I ever played, if not the best.

More time has passed, and the age of HERCs and Cybrids has long past and gone, with Mankind now in the stars and contending among itself as Starsiege: Tribes. From then on, it evolved into the Tribes timeline.

Tribes had some good modes and great mods(not to mention huge maps).. But Ill never forget my fleet of murdurous babies in fluid systems, Cyberstorm you are missed.

#88 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:51 PM

Anyone knows if theres a possibility of an MechWarrior + MechCommander collection pack for retail and download? And who can make that happen, PGI? I sure would pay for that.

Edited by Tordin, 01 January 2015 - 04:52 PM.

#89 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:12 PM

Well you can get MC2X and MCO for free:

MCO: http://www.moddb.com...mander-omnitech (Bit more in line with lore and whatnot, less dependent on insta-kill weapons, though also less agreeable on stuff like range, like firing lrms point blank, or the ui.)
(MCO includes Carver 5 original campaign)

MC2X: http://www.moddb.com...he-rim-colonies (Bit more on hardcore strategy and more focused on equipment, at times Clan tech is terrible compared to other weapons.)
(Wolfman-x is his main page I believe, but outdated a bit, requires java).

MW4 Mercs should be receivable for free.

MCG also is free: http://gamestand.net...tails/id=8.html

MC2X and MCO are still in development and WoRC is getting close to release date soon. :)

Edited by luxebo, 02 January 2015 - 06:13 PM.

#90 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

I'm gonna look at the Mad Dog, say "Solaris Assault Tech", heave a sigh... and keep on walking.

(and try not to get banned). ;)

#91 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:54 PM

View PostTordin, on 01 January 2015 - 04:51 PM, said:

Anyone knows if theres a possibility of an MechWarrior + MechCommander collection pack for retail and download? And who can make that happen, PGI? I sure would pay for that.

You'd have to get FASA, zipper interactive, microprose, microsoft, activison, dynamix, digital anvil, and mektek to work together for that.

#92 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:50 AM

We have a bigger chance of Putin and Obama thumb wrestling after sharing sparkling apple juice and grilled cheese sandwiches at Kim Jonn-uns private screening of The Interview.
(Just for context all three would also be wearing footie pajamas)

Edited by XphR, 03 January 2015 - 01:51 AM.

#93 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:35 AM

View PostHeffay, on 21 November 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

The game play and the graphics. Both are spot on perfect.

Never has being a pilot in a giant stompy space robot from the future felt so *real*.

Are you talking about MWO?

MWO's graphics are nothing special. Hawken looks better and has far better performance while using a more dated engine. The best thing about MWO's graphics are the mech models. The environments look awful. And in no way justifies the poor performance. BF4 on ultra settings is more smooth than MWO at any setting.

#94 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:39 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 22 December 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

Unless I'm terribly uninformed - which I'm probably not, being Chinese myself and following gaming scene in both languages - that is simply not true. AFAIK Hawken was licensed and published in China, but never really took off.

You know what's interesting? Hawken received about three times of kickstarting money than MWO, was hyped to mars and back, and two years down the line Hawken is basically dead while MWO is still pumping out new content (albeit overdue promises, but still). I really think the dev of Hawken just took the money and ran off. After all their team is like no more than 20 people.

A drawback of being a new IP and being developed by a small studio. There was already a dedicated fanbase for MWO in the form of the battletech and previous mechwarrior communities.

#95 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:34 PM

New franchises can still be successful, like Warframe.

The problem of Hawken is that it failed to properly cultivate a sustaining F2P system. When you have a viable revenue stream, you can continuously generate content.

A lot of Hawken's players comes from console games, which they are not used to an F2P format. The developers are also new to the concept, and unfortunately are too decent --- they didn't have the utter shame to exploit their player base. They thought they can make a difference. Be fair. They could not. The Boy Scout approach to F2P didn't work.

I never spent more than $30 on Hawken. There was very little need too. If I want to skip the research process and go buy the mechs directly, how much did it cost me? $6.95? And I don't need to buy three variants too, just to master it.

While others praise this virtue, in fact, its killing them.

And its really a shame because Hawken has so many things that are well ahead of MWO. Despite the FPS, it is remarkably feels more science fiction like than MWO.

The mechs maybe ugly, but they move with a beautifully smooth animation with lots of articulated movements. They truly sound like a bag of mechanical joints.

I love the cute repair drones that can you can call up to fix your mech.

I like the ability to drop force fields and turrets.

The battles are much more three dimensional. You just jump up and down from different platforms.

I love the way the assaults "transform" into a turret. They got beetle like carapaces that would close and turn the mech into a turtle like tank, or turret.

I love to be able to throw grenades from my grenade launcher into a corridor where enemy mechs are bunched up and waiting for you. They go plink plink, roll and BOOM.

All great memories now. It was too bad. Hawken was a great game. What it wasn't was a good business.

#96 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:55 AM

View PostSpr1ggan, on 03 January 2015 - 03:35 AM, said:

MWO's graphics are nothing special. Hawken looks better and has far better performance while using a more dated engine. The best thing about MWO's graphics are the mech models. The environments look awful. And in no way justifies the poor performance. BF4 on ultra settings is more smooth than MWO at any setting.

My new rig boasts a single GeForce 970M and currently runs everything under the sun in full 1080P 60FPS Gaben glory except MWO and Wolfenstein: The New Order. Wolfenstein uses that crazy id Tech engine so that's justifiable, but MWO...really has no reason. I mean, I could run Crysis 1 and 2 in full Gaben glory....

View PostAnjian, on 03 January 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

All great memories now. It was too bad. Hawken was a great game. What it wasn't was a good business.

A great game...that's bit of a stretch imo. Played Hawken for a week, didn't spend a dime, then dropped it. Mechs jiggle and wiggle and feel weightless. Gameplay lacks depth - jump, dash, turn, nothing else. Whatever you saw that is "more advance" than MWO I simply could not understand. I love skimming across battlefield shooting everything in the way in my Jenner as much as I love stomping into the fray in my Direwhale wrecking everything in my path, feeling like a boss in a boss fight.

But I do agree that Hawken's business model is ABYSMAL oh gosh I couldn't even find a reason to buy anything.

#97 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:44 AM

View PostAnjian, on 03 January 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

New franchises can still be successful, like Warframe.

The problem of Hawken is that it failed to properly cultivate a sustaining F2P system. When you have a viable revenue stream, you can continuously generate content.

A lot of Hawken's players comes from console games, which they are not used to an F2P format. The developers are also new to the concept, and unfortunately are too decent --- they didn't have the utter shame to exploit their player base. They thought they can make a difference. Be fair. They could not. The Boy Scout approach to F2P didn't work.

I never spent more than $30 on Hawken. There was very little need too. If I want to skip the research process and go buy the mechs directly, how much did it cost me? $6.95? And I don't need to buy three variants too, just to master it.

While others praise this virtue, in fact, its killing them.

And its really a shame because Hawken has so many things that are well ahead of MWO. Despite the FPS, it is remarkably feels more science fiction like than MWO.

The mechs maybe ugly, but they move with a beautifully smooth animation with lots of articulated movements. They truly sound like a bag of mechanical joints.

I love the cute repair drones that can you can call up to fix your mech.

I like the ability to drop force fields and turrets.

The battles are much more three dimensional. You just jump up and down from different platforms.

I love the way the assaults "transform" into a turret. They got beetle like carapaces that would close and turn the mech into a turtle like tank, or turret.

I love to be able to throw grenades from my grenade launcher into a corridor where enemy mechs are bunched up and waiting for you. They go plink plink, roll and BOOM.

Oh my, you missed out on the early days!

Adhesive quickly jumped on the P2W bandwagon. They did things that would make koreans nod approvingly, and probably make EA blush.

It didn't last long, but it was all there, right down to OP, mandatory consumables, items that stunlocked robots for 7 seconds, tuning points, internals... It was amazing to behold.

#98 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:35 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 04 January 2015 - 01:44 AM, said:

Oh my, you missed out on the early days!

Adhesive quickly jumped on the P2W bandwagon. They did things that would make koreans nod approvingly, and probably make EA blush.

It didn't last long, but it was all there, right down to OP, mandatory consumables, items that stunlocked robots for 7 seconds, tuning points, internals... It was amazing to behold.
Did anyone see the press on this? Early access Hawken was really fun... low TTK, very unforgiving, very intense, good role specific 'bots... and it was HARD.The guy who created LoL bought into the game... that's when it went pear shaped; a good game becomes a good business... uncle moneybags from LoL tried to make it happen in reverse... it failed.

#99 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:09 AM

View PostStompingOnTanks, on 05 November 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

It's obvious MWO is the winner of the MMO Mech Wars (thank GOD), but what I'm interested in is now that MWO has set the standard, what games will rise to compete with it?

I am sorry to say that, but In which way has MWO ever set any standard?

Most embarrasing appearance on reddit ever?
The most silent developer changes without saying anything?
The most ridiculous second project ever (-> Transverse)?

I like this game too but if you start comparing it with games in the real F2P business, it is torn apart while still in the air.
This game only exists and gets PGI money because its the only modern Mechwarrior Game.
If this was an airplane game or a tank game, it would stand no chance.

#100 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 04 January 2015 - 12:55 AM, said:

A great game...that's bit of a stretch imo. Played Hawken for a week, didn't spend a dime, then dropped it. Mechs jiggle and wiggle and feel weightless. Gameplay lacks depth - jump, dash, turn, nothing else. Whatever you saw that is "more advance" than MWO I simply could not understand. I love skimming across battlefield shooting everything in the way in my Jenner as much as I love stomping into the fray in my Direwhale wrecking everything in my path, feeling like a boss in a boss fight.

But I do agree that Hawken's business model is ABYSMAL oh gosh I couldn't even find a reason to buy anything.

Hawken was just simply put different than MWO. However it didn't have enough depth as you had said, lacking maps, modes, and other game mechanics. You could still feel the light Scout doing the same as a Jenner, and a Rocketeer feeling similar to the Dire Wolf. But the game itself, remember-able, but it's hard to compare to MWO considering their differences.

And yeah it was better before than after the Ascension patch and the Technician.

View PostIqfish, on 04 January 2015 - 04:09 AM, said:

Most embarrasing appearance on reddit ever?
The most silent developer changes without saying anything?
The most ridiculous second project ever (-> Transverse)?

I don't really participate in reddit so can't say much on that.
The most silent developer changes have to be handed to other games. At this point I don't remember an incident like that where they put something not said in patch notes.
The Hawken past devs had worse for sure... iphone app "Santa's Delivery". :mellow:

Edited by luxebo, 04 January 2015 - 12:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users