Mwo Might Be The Only Mech Game Left?

187 replies to this topic

#1 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:26 PM

Hawken is looking bleak at the moment with their entire system shutting down and Adhesive/Meteor are both dying... MW Tactics died a while ago with IGP... MW4 Mercs Mekpak and Mektek (Heavy Gear) are both pretty dead in comparison to MWO... MWLL is alive but lacking compared to much longer ago when MWO wasn't around... MC2X (Wolfman's expansion) is slow in progress and nobody besides myself and a handful of people still play that... MCO (Magic's expansion Omnitech) is dead although I feel that something is still moving down at hardlightproductions...

So in conclusion MWO is the only one left???

Hawken still has people there, but it looks as if the game developers left development. If anyone goes to support it that'll be gladly appreciated as I saw potential when I first joined but now it feels very dead.

MW Tactics is probably dead. I don't see much left in it and all the founders are probably very very sad about such.

All the other older versions of mech games are probably not really well to do.

There's two potential games that COULD be revived, but I'm having my doubts. What do you guys think?

Edited by luxebo, 04 November 2014 - 08:41 PM.

#2 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:43 PM

I think Heavy Gear Assault is the only feasible competition to MWO, and based off the complete lack of buzz... yeah. I mean I know they can say alpha and NDA, but outside of the people participating in it, nobody seems to care.

MWO won the mech wars. And let's face it, there's a very good reason for it: Game is just damn fun to play.

#3 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:02 PM

In terms of gameplay, you can say that World of Tanks is a gimped and unbalanced version of MWO. Other than that, gameplay wise there is none.

Really, PGI is the last frigate on this battlefield.

#4 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:03 PM

http://www.evilavata...ad.php?t=219365

#5 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:28 PM

View PostHeffay, on 04 November 2014 - 08:43 PM, said:

I think Heavy Gear Assault is the only feasible competition to MWO, and based off the complete lack of buzz... yeah. I mean I know they can say alpha and NDA, but outside of the people participating in it, nobody seems to care.

MWO won the mech wars. And let's face it, there's a very good reason for it: Game is just damn fun to play.

Agreed, though I do wish Hawken and MW Tactics had more support. The older games are old for a reason. (Well MC2X I'm still awaiting the nice Warlords of the Rim Colonies.)

WoT and Warthunder have nothing to do with MWO, as they are not nearly mech based.

...Let's not count twitch shooting. CoD Advanced Warfare and Titanfall and Destiny are very separate from MWO and it's slow pace.

And let's not count Transformers in any form (aka Transformers Universe a 3rd person shooter for PC, or the twitch shooting type games for the consoles).

#6 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:30 AM

Greetings all,

There was that one game shown through NGNG, appeared like an updated Mech Commander with new graphics.
- They were designing it from the ground up, but most were volunteer developers. (just like MW:LL started)
BattleTech Universe: (9min video of preAlfa testing)
https://www.youtube....e&v=rk1XKuhFqao
- Even has melee attack's!, And various other combat vehicles, aircraft, and ground infantry.

But it's not first person, and your correct, there's nothing left on the market that can compete with MWO.

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 05 November 2014 - 05:36 AM.

#7 Sizzles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationWaiting in line for his UrbanMech UM-PP.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 05 November 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

You forgot though there is also Titanfall out there as well.

Ha... haha...

I could go on a nice rant, but I will simply say "No."

#8 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:49 PM

Yeah once again let's not count titanfall. It's technically mecha but it's much more CoD type gameplay than it is mecha.

I don't know if they are still developing the battletech universe, which I did see ages ago. It's quite nice through graphics and mechanics but it seems as if the last development update was last year December, which about now is literally a year ago.

Transformers Universe is actually moving along quite nicely but is not really mecha as it's more aligned with Battletech Universe's gamestyle.

Wolfman-x MC2 is still in development (http://z8.invisionfr...orum/index.php?) (http://www.moddb.com...he-rim-colonies). See the twitter feed on the right side of moddb link. Same as MC Omnitech (http://www.hard-ligh...66d&board=210.0).

Heavy Gear Assault is moving steadily but there is not as much interest compared to this game.

I wish there was something said about Hawken's closing, but that shall end I guess. Not much hope there.

Regardless, MWO is heading in the correct direction and while I do laud PGI for doing such, I'm a bit sad that there's not really a major major competitor of MWO (which Hawken was once), at least that anyone else here plays really.

#9 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:04 PM

It's obvious MWO is the winner of the MMO Mech Wars (thank GOD), but what I'm interested in is now that MWO has set the standard, what games will rise to compete with it?

Titanfall was CoD with mechs, which CoD obviously gobbled up eventually; Hawken was fun, but sadly too P2W for it's own good; we have Heavy Gear Assault upcoming which should be very interesting but we don't know if it'll catch on yet.

But since MWO was the most walking-tank style of mech game out of these four, and apparently so far has been the most successful, it's only natural that other companies will try to break into the genre with their own walking-tank style mech games, which will be very interesting to see since there aren't enough of those lately. Perhaps... Something like Chromehounds Online? :lol:

Edited by StompingOnTanks, 05 November 2014 - 07:06 PM.

#10 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:13 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 04 November 2014 - 10:02 PM, said:

In terms of gameplay, you can say that World of Tanks is a gimped and unbalanced version of MWO.

You have it backwards being that THIS is a copy of THAT not the other way around

#11 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:43 PM

Would be interested in Chromehounds if it came back.

Hawken didn't really have anything P2W (except that grind was so much easier when one bought stuff). It doesn't look good for it as even the friends list has shut down. Earlier too servers have gone down too, so games are limited there.

Planetside is another interesting comparison but not really too much of a mech type game.

#12 Chuck B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

View Postluxebo, on 05 November 2014 - 07:43 PM, said:

Would be interested in Chromehounds if it came back.

Hawken didn't really have anything P2W (except that grind was so much easier when one bought stuff). It doesn't look good for it as even the friends list has shut down. Earlier too servers have gone down too, so games are limited there.

Planetside is another interesting comparison but not really too much of a mech type game.

If you like Chromehounds Keep an eye on M.A.V. (EA on Steam). Of the three "mech" games I know of in development it is the closest to Chromehounds. The other two are Heavy Gear Assault (closed beta) Dark Horizons : Mech Corps (EA on Steam). Most other "mech" games are floundering or dieing. Only Airmech is doing ok'ish but its more DOTA then true mech game.

#13 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:17 PM

View PostStompingOnTanks, on 05 November 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

Something like Chromehounds Online? :lol:

I would play the hell out of another Chromehounds.

#14 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:18 PM

I still play Hawken it has become quite a good mech game now they slowed the mechs way down and got rid of the super slider function almost only thing I don't like about Hawken is the mech designs but everything else is getting better and more people are playing the game.

I still like MWO but the game play is stale after 3 years of 12v12 free for all matches this game had so much potential wasted because the Devs have no vision and had no quality people to learn what MechWarrior/BattleTech was really all about.

There is perpetuam also but it is more like the old PC game Cyberia or cyberstorm and the mechs move more like MechWarrior2.
A few more mech games are still out there to play online when I look up the links I will post them.

Edited by PappySmurf, 05 November 2014 - 09:19 PM.

#15 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:27 PM

Yeah I still do play Airmech (though it's more rpg mechcommanderish type game.) It's a good game but needs simply more.

M.A.V. looks very interesting, will take a look. Same as Dark Horizons, but I'll probably hold up on buying anything before MWO goes into CW and all that. Plus I don't know if either of those games would end up somehow messing up later in the process of making (MW Tactics or other similar games.) Thanks for saying about them Chuck B :).

Hawken hasn't been gaining population in total though PappySmurf, it's been going down. They haven't updated the game since way back when they put it in steam and that's about it. Now the devs are gone for sure pretty much and I haven't seen progress. I would like to know but it's to the point where the friends list is gone. Imagine MWO without the friends list or group options, it would be awful.

Edited by luxebo, 05 November 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#16 Chuck B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:27 PM

View Postluxebo, on 05 November 2014 - 09:27 PM, said:

Yeah I still do play Airmech (though it's more rpg mechcommanderish type game.) It's a good game but needs simply more.

M.A.V. looks very interesting, will take a look. Same as Dark Horizons, but I'll probably hold up on buying anything before MWO goes into CW and all that. Plus I don't know if either of those games would end up somehow messing up later in the process of making (MW Tactics or other similar games.) Thanks for saying about them Chuck B :).

Hawken hasn't been gaining population in total though PappySmurf, it's been going down. They haven't updated the game since way back when they put it in steam and that's about it. Now the devs are gone for sure pretty much and I haven't seen progress. I would like to know but it's to the point where the friends list is gone. Imagine MWO without the friends list or group options, it would be awful.

Your welcome

Ya I haven't played Airmech in quite a while I have a bit of disappointment that they are still in beta after 2 years but its cool theres been alot of progress in those two years. But I want the single player campaign already. but man I loved flying around in an A-10 LAM,

M.A.V can be fun but with it being a mostly 1 guy show progress has been slow. Its finally picking up but Muilti-player is still mostly a ghost town compared to MW:O There's only one dedicated server that only runs the Snap(test) version of the game , there no dedicated for the stable Version. While there are lots of weapons about a 1/3 feel redundant and the info /UI on the weapons is overloaded and confusing. Please don't let my criticism put you off the game. I still think its worth picking up (its the price of a light hero here) I still have fun playing it (vs the bots) and I've spent more time designing then playing at this point. Im looking forward to the next stable build since the Dev added hover legs and he added Hexapod movement system (6 legs) today!

Edited by Chuck B, 05 November 2014 - 11:58 PM.

#17 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:03 AM

View Post9erRed, on 05 November 2014 - 05:30 AM, said:

Greetings all,

There was that one game shown through NGNG, appeared like an updated Mech Commander with new graphics.
- They were designing it from the ground up, but most were volunteer developers. (just like MW:LL started)
BattleTech Universe: (9min video of preAlfa testing)
https://www.youtube....e&v=rk1XKuhFqao
- Even has melee attack's!, And various other combat vehicles, aircraft, and ground infantry.

But it's not first person, and your correct, there's nothing left on the market that can compete with MWO.

9erRed

What happen to BTU?
Was following the news last year then it suddenly fell off the radar.
The last update was in Dec 2013 about the game being put onhold.
https://projectbtu.wordpress.com/

It look and play like Alien Swarm, I enjoyed Alien Swarm.

There is also Mobile Suit Gundam Online, but IP Lock to Japan only.

50 vs 50
Dropship mode
Commander mode
Campaign mode
Plays like Battlefield Online but have a bad case of power creep.

I missed playing Metal Rage

#18 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:59 AM

Well from the developers of Chromehounds, there is also the latest Armored Core series, though that game isn't terrestially bound, more fighting in the air than on the ground, lots of boosting, with combat more typical of Gundam epics. Its not an MMO though, so it lacks the ecosystem and matchmaking sustainability that goes with it, but the last one, Verdict Day, boy did it have great support for community warfare. Unfortunately the developers seemed to have abandoned the franchise to work on Dark Souls and similar hard core heavy metal RPG games like Bloodbourne. Which also means the developers no way is going to make Chromehounds 2. Lately the company has also been bought by Kadokawa, I don't know how that will affect their future plans.

Probably the most bad ass mech game I have the privelege of playing.

Edited by Anjian, 07 November 2014 - 04:06 AM.

#19 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:10 AM

View Postluxebo, on 04 November 2014 - 08:26 PM, said:

Hawken is looking bleak at the moment with their entire system shutting down and Adhesive/Meteor are both dying... MW Tactics died a while ago with IGP... MW4 Mercs Mekpak and Mektek (Heavy Gear) are both pretty dead in comparison to MWO... MWLL is alive but lacking compared to much longer ago when MWO wasn't around... MC2X (Wolfman's expansion) is slow in progress and nobody besides myself and a handful of people still play that... MCO (Magic's expansion Omnitech) is dead although I feel that something is still moving down at hardlightproductions...

So in conclusion MWO is the only one left???

Hawken still has people there, but it looks as if the game developers left development. If anyone goes to support it that'll be gladly appreciated as I saw potential when I first joined but now it feels very dead.

MW Tactics is probably dead. I don't see much left in it and all the founders are probably very very sad about such.

All the other older versions of mech games are probably not really well to do.

There's two potential games that COULD be revived, but I'm having my doubts. What do you guys think?

Hawken literally died after beta. That is unfortunate because their beta was really fun, especially in the server that had 10v10 and 12v12 playing. The matches I had then were to this day, unforgettable and forever etched in my memory.

#20 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:39 AM

View PostStompingOnTanks, on 05 November 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

It's obvious MWO is the winner of the MMO Mech Wars (thank GOD), but what I'm interested in is now that MWO has set the standard, what games will rise to compete with it?

Titanfall was CoD with mechs, which CoD obviously gobbled up eventually; Hawken was fun, but sadly too P2W for it's own good; we have Heavy Gear Assault upcoming which should be very interesting but we don't know if it'll catch on yet.

But since MWO was the most walking-tank style of mech game out of these four, and apparently so far has been the most successful, it's only natural that other companies will try to break into the genre with their own walking-tank style mech games, which will be very interesting to see since there aren't enough of those lately. Perhaps... Something like Chromehounds Online? :lol:

You mean its the only big fish now in a tiny pond.

No one else is interested in making a mech game because they think the potential is very tiny. To put in scale, it seems that Mechwarrior Online is only a fraction of the size of War Thunder, which in turn is only a fraction of the size of World of Tanks. And because of that, there is more interest in making a new tank game, like War Thunder recently ventured into Ground Forces, and Obsidian's new Armored Warfare.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users