Ams Reward, The Right Way

6 replies to this topic

Poll: Ams Reward, The Right Way (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Reward values

1. Too high (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Very good / Mostly good (7 votes [28.00%])

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

3. Too low (16 votes [64.00%])

Percentage of vote: 64.00%

4. There should be no rewards (2 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

Filter mechanic for LRM hits

1. Spot-on! (3 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

2. Overall good (12 votes [48.00%])

Percentage of vote: 48.00%

3. Bad idea (10 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ljusdahl

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:30 AM

No XP, just C-bills.

I think that each ton of flawlessly spent AMS ammo versus LRM's(meeting conditions stated at the bottom) should reward you the same as an Assist(2500). So if it still holds true that 9 AMS ammo is needed to kill a LRM, then:

2000 / 9 = 222.22 LRM kills per ton. Slightly less in reality since a damaged LRM can still hit, but whatevs.
2500 / 222.22 = 11.25 C-bills per LRM kill.

C-bills per missile shot down:
  • LRM: 11.25 * 1(damage) = 11.25 C-bills. Rules apply.
  • SRM: 11.25 * 2.15(damage) * 0.75 = 18.14 C-bills.
  • SSRM: 11.25 * 2(damage)= 22.5 C-bills.
  • NARC: 350 per Narc, maybe? That equates to 31.1 LRM's or 19.3 SRM's.
I added 25% reduction to SRM's because they are dumb-fire and can easily miss. The other two are very likely to hit.

If you bring 4 tons of AMS ammo, and spend it all against LRM's with 75% accuracy, you get 7500 C-bills. A bit more if you counter some of the other types of missiles.
That's not enough to get greedy and "farm" effectively, but enough to give some reward where it is due.

-But then you can get awards for LRM's that won't hit the target! Boo! [redacted]

I see this argument in many threads. My idea:

Each LRM contains the info of who fired it, and who it is locked on.

When a locked-on LRM is killed by terrain within a certain distance of the target, a countdown timer starts(or if already exists: resets). Say, 1 second? Maybe even less.
The timer contains 2 values: attacking player and target player. It represents the fact that the attacker is shooting someone who is in covered from that angle.

If the attacker manages to get a LRM to hit the target while a timer is active, the timer is removed.

If a LRM is killed and there is a timer whose attacker and target equal to that of the LRM, no reward is given.

Yes, it won't be 100% effective. You can still get rewards between the time that LRM's are fired and the first LRM hits terrain. Still, it a simple system to implement and would filter most of the misses.

Discuss.

Edited by Egomane, 05 November 2014 - 11:29 AM.
That was uncalled for and not necessary for a feature suggestion

#2 s0hno

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:10 AM

To calculate the rewards by comparing to the prevented damage is a good idea. However, since a player can not control which missiles are targeted, I don't even think it is necessary to distinguish between hits or misses. 4 Tons of ammo is not negligible and may, imho, be rewarded by more than 7500 c-bills.
The rewards should not be usable for farming, that's for sure, but i guess the reward needs to be higher to attract more people to invest 2 tons or more for the AMS.

#3 Ljusdahl

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:00 AM

To those who think this is a bad idea, I'd love to hear why so that we can argument for and against it.

View Posts0hno, on 20 November 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

To calculate the rewards by comparing to the prevented damage is a good idea. However, since a player can not control which missiles are targeted, I don't even think it is necessary to distinguish between hits or misses. 4 Tons of ammo is not negligible and may, imho, be rewarded by more than 7500 c-bills.
The rewards should not be usable for farming, that's for sure, but i guess the reward needs to be higher to attract more people to invest 2 tons or more for the AMS.

You can control what the AMS shoots indirectly, through your placement and toggling it on/off. Part of the idea of this is to reward you in relation to how effectively you use it. A teammate is Narced but already in cover? Turn it off. Another teammate is getting showered somewhere else? Reposition!

In my original post, 4 tons would reward you up to 10000 c-bills. But the more I think about it, the more I feel like that's way too little.

#4 s0hno

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:44 AM

View PostLjusdahl, on 22 November 2014 - 02:00 AM, said:

You can control what the AMS shoots indirectly, through your placement and toggling it on/off. Part of the idea of this is to reward you in relation to how effectively you use it. A teammate is Narced but already in cover? Turn it off. Another teammate is getting showered somewhere else? Reposition!

That is true, but does only make sense for support mechs like the Kit Fox with 3 AMS equipped.
To distinct between about-to-hit and about-to-miss missiles is not a bad idea, but in my opinion, the AMS reward should primarily encourage players to simply equip it by default.

#5 Ljusdahl

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:42 PM

View Posts0hno, on 22 November 2014 - 03:44 AM, said:

That is true, but does only make sense for support mechs like the Kit Fox with 3 AMS equipped.
To distinct between about-to-hit and about-to-miss missiles is not a bad idea, but in my opinion, the AMS reward should primarily encourage players to simply equip it by default.

Shooting down 8 LRM's instead of 4 per salvo is a big deal, so I have to disagree. And on the smurfy site I'm counting 10 variants with 2 AMS hardpoints. Maybe more, I'm not sure how clan 'mechs can be configured.

Here's a cheaper alternative(or an addition?) that would cost little developer time: +50% AMS reward for each additional AMS you have equipped. So a 3 AMS Kit fox would earn 100% more than 'mechs with just one.

#6 Nori Silverrage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:29 AM

This is a excellent idea. Though I would say double the reward (1t on ammo is a lot of space to give up) and don't worry about whether it would have been a hit or a miss.

#7 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:20 PM

View PostLjusdahl, on 05 November 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

No XP, just C-bills.

I think that each ton of flawlessly spent AMS ammo versus LRM's(meeting conditions stated at the bottom) should reward you the same as an Assist(2500). So if it still holds true that 9 AMS ammo is needed to kill a LRM, then:

2000 / 9 = 222.22 LRM kills per ton. Slightly less in reality since a damaged LRM can still hit, but whatevs.
2500 / 222.22 = 11.25 C-bills per LRM kill.

C-bills per missile shot down:
  • LRM: 11.25 * 1(damage) = 11.25 C-bills. Rules apply.
  • SRM: 11.25 * 2.15(damage) * 0.75 = 18.14 C-bills.
  • SSRM: 11.25 * 2(damage)= 22.5 C-bills.
  • NARC: 350 per Narc, maybe? That equates to 31.1 LRM's or 19.3 SRM's.
I added 25% reduction to SRM's because they are dumb-fire and can easily miss. The other two are very likely to hit.

If you bring 4 tons of AMS ammo, and spend it all against LRM's with 75% accuracy, you get 7500 C-bills. A bit more if you counter some of the other types of missiles.
That's not enough to get greedy and "farm" effectively, but enough to give some reward where it is due.

-But then you can get awards for LRM's that won't hit the target! Boo! [redacted]

I see this argument in many threads. My idea:

Each LRM contains the info of who fired it, and who it is locked on.

When a locked-on LRM is killed by terrain within a certain distance of the target, a countdown timer starts(or if already exists: resets). Say, 1 second? Maybe even less.
The timer contains 2 values: attacking player and target player. It represents the fact that the attacker is shooting someone who is in covered from that angle.

If the attacker manages to get a LRM to hit the target while a timer is active, the timer is removed.

If a LRM is killed and there is a timer whose attacker and target equal to that of the LRM, no reward is given.

Yes, it won't be 100% effective. You can still get rewards between the time that LRM's are fired and the first LRM hits terrain. Still, it a simple system to implement and would filter most of the misses.

Discuss.
Solution; LAMs, Quiaff?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users