Thoughts On The Awesome Chassis?

19 replies to this topic

#1 saagri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:09 PM

With the quirks to the Awesome I find them more fun to run. Especially the Pretty Baby with the massive 50% CD reduction on Large Lasers. What do you guys run on your Awesomes?

#2 The Buddha Assassinator

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:23 PM

I have been a huge fan of the Awesome ever since they added the heat tweaks. Then when the IS quirks came out, I am really loving it.

You can break down the awesomes by their quirks and engine size.

8Q 8T 8V 8R are long range support mechs that maxes at 300 engine rating and with speed tweak goes 66 kph max.

9M and Pretty Baby can run bigger engines and therefore can go much faster (if you don't plan on running a fast awesome, don't use these guys, there is just no point.)

8Q and 9M's focuses are on PPCs and ERPPCs, but since IS ERPPC is a whopping 15 heat per shot, even with the 9M's quirks I am still hesitant. Fast mech favor a more brawling/skirmishing style, this is where I am not feeling 9M's quirks fit the chasis very well. 9M's quirks also fully ignore it's missile hard point. when you are an awesome, you can't dodge shots no matter how fast you go. You are not going to win a snipe war against a Raven 3L with ER Large lasers with ERPPCs.

As for 8Q though, it's a highly dangerous sniper against larger mechs. I had the opportunity to showcase to an enemy Battlemaster who had an untimely overheat shutdown with 8 rounds of PPC to the CT while he tried to power back up. Utimately the 8Q can output more damage in a short burst than 9M due to heat limitations. At long range you will also be facing LRMs, the 9M's speed might give it the edge in this scenario.

8T 8V and 8R are all quirked toward missile boats, with 8R hailing 4 missile hard points, 8V 3, and 8T 2. It all comes down to how much of a missile boat you want to be. 8R can load 4 LRM 15s, with quirks and cool down module, anyone you lock on who can't put something between you and the LRMs are going to die while having a seizure in his cockpit. If you like to primarily use energy weapons while supplementing with some LRM action, 8T is a good chasis to run. 8V's quirks are PPC focused, but I don't think PPCs and LRM 15s complement eachother very well. 4 Medium Pulses on the 8V gives you the close range punch you need to face down lights and mediums. If you are dedicated about LRMs, you should run XL to get more tonnage for Ammo. Running anything less than a 300 on these chasis limits your mobility too much.

Pretty Baby is a brawler, with 2 large lasers that shoot much faster and generic missile cool down which is probably meant for SRMs. The speed will allow you to get in and out of trouble quickly.

So far I have run an 8Q(4 PPC), 8R(4 LRM 15 + TAG) and 8V (3 LRM 15 + 4 Med Pulse) and I really like how they perform.

Edited by Hekatonkheire, 06 November 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#3 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

How about ER-LL boats vs PPC/ER-PPC boats?

#4 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCrash landed on Weingarten III

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:43 PM

The Awesome is one of my favorite IS assaults.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0414a33e7393477

and

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...60f0cbdfa485673

#5 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:26 AM

Quirks were a step in the right direction for this mech. Its still not considered good. For the 8Q Personally I think chain firing 4 PPC at people is funny, but I tend to go with left and right PPC firing groups for better pinpoint. The LRM quirks took pilots out of the SRM builds and back into the LRM oriented builds. I'm not a big fan of that playstyle but it is more effective than what the SRM builds were before it. The 9M quirks with ERPPC is not as good since boating ERPPC is bad no matter how many quirks you give it. Still one of the easiest mechs to hit in the game. I have them already. If anyone is asking if they should buy them over other mechs I would say no.

Edited by Soulscour, 12 November 2014 - 01:27 AM.

#6 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:38 AM

I watched an awesome with 3 PPCs get almost 1200 damage and 4 kills. He was chain firing them and never over heated. Those PPCs fired like ACs. Anyone who thinks the Awesome has not moved to an upper tier status should find that guy. I am sure he would disagree.

#7 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:18 AM

View PostRustyBolts, on 12 November 2014 - 03:38 AM, said:

I watched an awesome with 3 PPCs get almost 1200 damage and 4 kills. He was chain firing them and never over heated. Those PPCs fired like ACs. Anyone who thinks the Awesome has not moved to an upper tier status should find that guy. I am sure he would disagree.

I wouldn't say they are upper-tier, but they are glass cannons now, vs. glass water pistols. They are still big and relatively fragile, but they can now hit HARD and they do have decent mobility for something that size. They can now be played to their strengths vs. before where they really had no strengths.

#8 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:18 AM

I really enjoy running my 8Q with 4PPCs.

I have not had as much fun trying ERPPCs on the 9M. It's just as hot and while you get more close-range damage you only get 75% of it. I'm likely going back to pulses for the 9M.

8Q though ... now that's some hysterically funny zap.

#9 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:16 AM

8Q = multiple plasmagasms every match

#10 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:40 AM

8Q, 3PPC, 3MPL
8T, 2LRM15, 4MPL
8R, 3LRM15, 2ML
9M, Undecided, currently 3ERPPC,3MPL

#11 Blackwolf 1 1

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:44 AM

Definitely loving the quirks for the Awesomes. I had just finished getting the elites done for the two variants I intended to keep, and the quirks have made them monsters. I regularly deal 400-600 damage in them, with several kills. I run 4 ppc's on my 8Q, so the quirks that it got have made it even better. I fire them in pairs from the shoulders and get get multiple volleys off before approaching shutdown. If the need arises I can even alpha all 4, though I try not to do that unless I'm standing still. Standing still, I can alpha and still manage to back away after.

I was a little letdown with the quirks the 8V got, but that's only because my build is unusual already. When I noticed the size of the missile hardpoints in the shoulder I decided that this mech would perfectly suit brawling. 3 SRM6 with artemis, and a pair of large pulse lasers in the other shoulder. The arms are just big shields and have saved me often. The recent buffs to pulse lasers made it more powerful, and the general energy and missile quirks to the chassis allow me to rely more on the missiles at close range.

I haven't had much experience in the other variants, so I can't really comment on how the quirks have helped them. But they are definitely a step in the right direction!

#12 Josef Nader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:09 AM

I run an AWS-8Q near-stock (upgraded the engine to a 300 and filled it with as many DHS as would fit), and it's become a terrifying monster. I feel like an old wooden battleship trading broadsides with other assaults. Very few mechs can really keep up the pace of pinpoint firepower the AWS can put out, and I've even made the mighty Dire Wolf shy away from the sustained pounding I'm able to put out.

Is it still a barn door that melts under any serious return fire? Sure. Does it actually pack a whallop now that makes it a serious force on the battlefield? You bet your sweet patootie. I've been having a blast with it.

#13 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:10 AM

They are excellent. I've always loved my Awesomes since back in open beta, so I didn't just start running them. The quirks give a little boost to durability but it isn't like it just became an Atlas (it is an 80 ton mech, they shouldn't be as tough as the heavier assaults). The firepower, most notably sustained firepower, is unreal in the Awesome now. I generally run mixed builds that are neither brawler nor sniper nor LRM support but a combination of two of those.

8R - 2xLRM15+Artemis, 2xSRM6+Artemis, TAG, 2xML, STD300
8V - 2xPPC, 2xML, 3xSRM6, STD300
9M - 2xERPPC, 2xERLL, XL375
Pretty Baby - 2xLL, 2xSRM4, 1xSRM6, XL395

You can definitely build them to be more specialized (3xPPC or ERPPC/ 4xLRM15 etc) but I've found that the more balanced builds work much more consistently with Awesomes, mainly because the buffs allow weapons to output such high damage. On the Pretty Baby, the cooldown quirks combined with the level 5 LL cooldown module create large lasers that fire faster than medium lasers. That's putting the damage out fast!

#14 Alekzander Smirnoff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 427 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:34 AM

I'm interested to see how you all configure it with 4 ppc's. I run mine with the standard 300, 3 PPC's and 22 DHS. I find it ridiculous already with three but I can't seem to squeeze four on in a manner I like. I'd be dropping it to 20DHS with quad pcc's and an XL300 which is what I'm assuming you all use to fit four of those on.

#15 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:48 AM

View PostAlekzander Smirnoff, on 12 November 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

I'm interested to see how you all configure it with 4 ppc's. I run mine with the standard 300, 3 PPC's and 22 DHS. I find it ridiculous already with three but I can't seem to squeeze four on in a manner I like. I'd be dropping it to 20DHS with quad pcc's and an XL300 which is what I'm assuming you all use to fit four of those on.

Endo, STD engine. You can either right-side load or center-line it; each has 19 or so DHS.

Right-side: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...567104249ea12ad
Ingore the back armor settings - put 8-10 in each torso rear, and swap the leg / left arm values to what you're comfortable with ... AWS don't often lose the stumpy legs.

Center-line - similar, only put all the PPCs in the torsos. Better for convergence, and you might want to consider putting some wee laser in the arm for hitting fast targets up close (since you're not likely to hit them with your head laser either).

#16 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:39 AM

Don't know much about the quirks stuff, piloted Jenner until I could afford my first AWS and been sat in them 98% of my playtime.
Best mech around for me, can't beat that wide open cockpit and sense of impending death to make you feel alive.

9M
XL 340 Engine
3x Large Laser
2x SRM4
1x SRM6
As many double heat sinks as it'll hold.
Stock armor/structure/artemis

8Q
XL 300 Engine
6x Large Laser
AMS

Pretty Baby
XL 360 Engine
2x Large Laser
3x SRM6

Basic loadouts, the AWS will never be an Atlas so the special ingredient is balls, monstrously gigantic brass ones. The AWS is always sat on a hillside somewhere as a sniper/Lrmboat, it's nice to shoot them point blank in the face and be "that guy".

#17 Krostif

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 39 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:47 AM

awesome is just that atm love the 8Q 4ppc all in the torsos and 3 sl standard 300 its great

#18 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

Awesomes are a great step forward for players who want to take off their Timberwolf training wheels.

#19 ImperialCrusader

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:57 PM

This was 3 months ago with an 8T

1x ERLL
1xLL
2xML
2xMPL
2xSRM6+A

Posted Image

#20 Mister Dubis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 175 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:34 AM

I run my PB like this:

PRETTY BABY

and as was suggested the large laser cool down mod just makes this thing dish out the pain...

Edited by Mister Dubis, 15 December 2014 - 03:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users