Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:14 AM

Another Dire Wolf Prime build I've been having some fun with:
https://m.youtube.co...&v=gP6Ifn7YOIc#

8 ER Large Lasers
Level 7 Targeting Computer
12 (+3) double heat sinks
Level 5 ER LL range & Cool down mods
Advanced zoom mod

Great for supporting your team from long distances as it out ranges most weapons.
Controlling heat will take some getting used to though as you have a lot of power at your fingertips.

#2 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:42 AM

View PostHavok Jones, on 11 November 2014 - 01:14 AM, said:

Another Dire Wolf Prime build I've been having some fun with:
https://m.youtube.co...&v=gP6Ifn7YOIc#

8 ER Large Lasers
Level 7 Targeting Computer
12 (+3) double heat sinks
Level 5 ER LL range & Cool down mods
Advanced zoom mod

Great for supporting your team from long distances as it out ranges most weapons.
Controlling heat will take some getting used to though as you have a lot of power at your fingertips.

That is... interesting

I can't wait for the Dire Wolf to go on sale =)

#3 Havok Jones

• Pip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:17 AM

Theres a lot of combinations. I just thought I would try something new and fun.
But honestly I find having 2 LRM 20 pods on the direwolves seems to make them much more useful on the battlefield than loading up with Autocannons or Lasers. Thats just my opinion though.

#4 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:16 AM

^ havoc
not totally sold on the dires yet.
I've killed so many, in lights, mediums. "lesser" mechs.

so, grabbed the trial mech to see what the fuss was about. Runs hot.....good lord...hothothot
lots of firepower unusable if you're sitting there shut down.

Discipline- and heres where I agree, just the setup on the stock dire, I'll hang back, not so far back to entice lights, but not so close I'm a meatshield.
First I'll empty the LRM's then advance, larges and a sprinkle of ballistics then forget about anything but mediums and ballistics to the end of the battle. First few battles died early, now lasting to end, or nearly so in that plane jane stock build.
Started paying attention to the dires I chewed up, most seem to be heavy energy builds

#5 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:26 AM

Still prefer my triple Gauss build ;) !

#6 EpicWarrior202

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:58 PM

I made one of these in mechwarrior 2. It didn't go well.

And that's without ghost heat.

Edited by EpicWarrior202, 21 November 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#7 Longshot0

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:28 PM

Gotten away from the 2Guass 4ERLL or 2ERLL+4ERML and tried this with the prime.

2UAC10+ 6MPL.
I fire the UAC's first for screen shake then the Mpl in two groups. Good heat management and decent range w/TC1 and range module on the Mpl. Two cycles on the Mpl's and continuos fire w/the AC's kills atlas's. But facing a dakka wolf is another story. We just destroy eachother if we are fresh with the nod going to the first shooter.

The lasers help get the dmg out quick for the peek shooters because no one really stands in front of a dwf to trade shots except atlas's and dwf's and UAC's usually disorient them enough to throw their aim.

#8 Zelumbras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:34 AM

I originally ran my Prime with the same build but later switched to DWF-PRIME 6ERLL + CAP + TC-VI to be able to add one lower am actuator which greatly improved my aim against not-so-slow targets. Another reason was that i noticed that i rarely ever had more then 6/8 on cd before the change since 3 ERLL on chainfire almost exactly fill out the recharge gap with the cooldown module equipped. Heat management isn't a problem since i mostly chainfire them in two groups (2ERLL each at once) so it basically acts as a continous huge range laser beam with ~14.7 DPS (ERLL range and cooldown module).

Edited by Vulcan888, 23 November 2014 - 11:44 AM.

#9 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:31 AM

I don't think this build is that good at all.

your video shows why it works:

you have extremely stationary targets, those pilots are really horrible, they don't even try to torso twist.
further on other maps like river city or everywhere its tight or hot, you will have serious troubles causing much damage.

It's a very fun build, but within MWO it doesn't seems to get you far.

Edited by Lily from animove, 24 November 2014 - 06:32 AM.

#10 LordUul

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:00 AM

Hey Mates,
there are Tons of Direwolf Builds around, all very Fun, but not Funktional.
8 ERLL maybe Fun, but not cempetitive useful. You most probably will end a Match with the same damage with just removing 4 of them for nothing.
As it seems pretty complicated to get a decent Daishi build maybe i can spend some tipps as i would say im not the worst Dire Wolf Pilot out there.

Lets have a look at the dis- and Advatages of that slow walking wall of Fire.

Move Speed and Torso twist are so low, that you cant go any kind of Hit&Run. the moment you realise you should have not looked around this corner its already too late to go back.
What you really want is make use of the potential overwhelming firepower over EVERY other Mech out there, so you can hold your position or at least take 1-2 with you, even if overwhelmed by numbers.
This is not done by Alphaing 4-6 or 8 LL and then biting your nails while watching your heatlevel.
You have to Maintain Pressure by simply puting out Damage and not Stopping until your save or dead.
Overheating in a Dire means Death! Only beeing able to Chain one LL for Heat reasons means DEATH.

so lets see:
To be Competitive you first need some Punch that Hits without much trouble. i Found GAUSS and LPulse do a great job here, plus Gauss means 0 Heat, so will support your Fire, whenever off Cooldown, no matter how Hot you are. And as you are a target as big as enemys screen, you wont 'need' the cockpit shake, as he hits you anyway.

Now the Thing is, when you fired your LPulse and Gauss your on Cooldown, and, as we said, doing Nothing here means DEATH. So we need to fill that cooldown Time with more Surpressing Power to keep up damaging. Luckily we got plenty of weapon slots. 6 ER-SL do a pretty high punch of dmg, dont generate too much heat , still got some nice range and have a nicely low CD. For some more Surpressing (and ofc you want kills for your stats) and Crits fill the rest of the balistics with MG's, makes 4 of them, thats enough to crit damn often into cored enemys and also it helps surpressing.

You end up with a mech, that only generates heat by 2x LPulse and 6 ER-SL, no need to chain anything here, just hit them, when you got about 30% heat left you wont overheat and can continue to hit with gauss and MG's all the time.

Additionally you can Alpha everything for a nice Punch (some trainign on timing with Gauss for perfect hits) and directly critting into the opened Torso with the MG's.

You are Able to trade damage over Distance with Gaus and LPULSE and also you pretty easy crush Lights, that are stupid enough to run in Circles around you instead of hiding behind you by just hitting them with the smalls, MG's and Gauss.

OFC you can modify a lot of the Loadout, but keep in Mind, you want to have Punch AND DPS, as you should never try to hit&run in 100 tons of slownes.

This loadout is Capable of fighting high Tier Competitive Games, also as jsut PUG in random drops. (ofc you wont ever be fast enough with a Daishi to not be left behind by team sometimes)

For Weapon Groups everyone has different Hardware and Preferences, but if you wanna Test the Loadout i Reccomend starting with these Groups:
G1: 2x Gauss (you got enough ammo to wase a 'torso' shot every here and there if you wanna hit high, with the arm gauss, e.g. for a UAV or so)
G2: 2x LPULSE (not much to say here, 2 means no ghost heat: no chaining needed)
G3: 6x ERSL (Again, no ghost heat, you Could Chain them, but you loose the "AC 30" Punch and they really dont do that much heat)
G4: MG's + GAUSS!!! (hold down to fire your MG's, the gauss will load, release for a blink, if gauss is loaded and you have enemy in target, otherwise, just keep it pressed. so no need to care about the gauss in Brawls, youst hold the MG's, you will get it if you try, works great)(this is my light killer button, hold it, let gauss open the light and hold it again to crit it from the Surface of the map)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...91d3b54e2148e3c

Maybe someone gets some Fun with the Build or at least any loadout ideas.

P.s. : Seismic Sensors helps nicely to Pre-Load the gauss for Cornering enemys, Radar Deprivation helps this Slow Mechs vs. LURMS. Additionally if you wanna Support weapons by Modules i recomment to Sup the Small lasers. Cooldown and Range really benefit them, dont forget, its an Ac 30 if you can hold Target for that second.

Edited by LordUul, 26 November 2014 - 05:10 AM.

#11 Havok Jones

• Pip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:07 AM

Looks like I will have to save up and buy another Dire Wolf mech to try all those fun builds!

And yes 6 or even 8 ER Large Lasers on a hot map can get pretty stupid at times, especially against brawler mechs! But it gets fun when enemies make the mistake of standing in one spot for too long and don't realize how many lasers they are being shot with. If you get lucky enough, you get games like the one I just posted below, where everything you point at dies in a matter of seconds (regardless of what the temperature is of the map your on!). High damage numbers don't matter if you have pinpoint accuracy and go for the torso or head. Its atleast worth a few tries.

But I would say that the most important thing, if you are going to try this, is to stay back as you will outrange most other mechs and have more firepower than anyone else from further back. Your range is 870 to a little over 1700 meters, so you can annoy the hell out anyone that decides to go mountain climbing! If your heat gets too high you can go back under cover. If your being shot at with Autocannons or Gauss, you make a smaller target and it takes a lot longer for the bullets to reach you so you can dodge them more easily.

The down side is that if your torso goes, so does half your heat sinks and fire power! so keep that in mind before moving out of cover and engaguing targets. If someone sneaks up on you with ballistics and you know your going to die, Alpha and hit them with 88 damage to the center torso!

Anyways heres another game I had just the other night using the same mech:

5 kills in a row, 7 kills total, 1 headshot and 4 assists on a map with 97 C ambient temperature.

Edited by Havok Jones, 28 November 2014 - 11:54 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users