Dun and dancing, Dark snow falls,
Pale the peaceful, Prancing flakes
The erst echoes, Yule arrives.

Glisten gleefully, the gilded snow.
Rimmed with red, the ruined glow.
Slashing swords, Singing death.
Hail the Heroes, All who's left.

Posted Image

Hwæt! Gather 'round gleeful and gallant! Heroes and Heralds! High Lords and Huskarls! Thegns and Thralls! For the world has turned and Yule is upon us once more! Whether you be surrounded by the gentle sleet of first snow, or the beaches first foam - Yule cannot be denied.

Line up and be counted, for the Valfather watches our mortal deeds with interest! His halls are barren and the need for new heroes is pressing. Take up your weapons, remember your runes and hold true to your oaths and perhaps the Valkyries will choose you - if you die valiantly that is.

Last year's pleased the Aesir greatly, they blessed us with continued prowess in battle and thirst for blood that has yet to be quenched. The Vanir as well, pleased at our fraternity, gave us generous harvests from PGI.

But we, the proud hardy men of the North, cannot become compliacent. We cannot merely rest on our laurels from past glories. For to displease the Gods, or to become lazy in our harsh environment is to court utter and total ruin.

Our enemies multiply and surround us. The Clan's 'Mechs are OP and our numbers dwindle. Therefore we look again to Asgard for the blessing and support of the Northern Gods. And if they cannot be roused to our aid, then at least our swords will be sharpened and our skills honed for the coming onslaught. So, we call to you loyal units and lone wolves of the FRR, join us in Yule, ere it is too late.

DATE: Yule this year will be held on the 6th, 13th and 20th of December. The Majority of the games will be played on the first two dates, and if we're really lucky maybe all of them.

TIME: The Yule Tournament will begin Saturday the 6th, 13th and 20th at..
NA Timzones: 9PM EST, 8PM CST, 7PM MST, 6PM PST

All of the preceeding times are actually on Sunday the 7th,14th and 21st.
EURO Timezones: 2AM GMT (London), 3AM CET(Berlin), 4AM EET (Helsinki), 5AM MSK(Moscow).
Oceanic Times: 1PM AEDT(Sydney, Australia) , 12:30PM ACDT(Adelaide, Australia)

Where: The FRR Hub, where else?

Duration: I will attempt to have the Yule Tournament run for at least 2 hours each night. If your unit shows up at least an hour late, it is okay, I know these times are tough on European units. However, if possible, try to come on time.

Format:

Bracket:
The the Yule Tournament will be a double elimination tournament with an undefeated bracket and a one loss bracket. The undeafeted bracket will be known as Asgard bracket and the one loss is Midgard. It will be very similar to last year's bracket:

Posted Image

DIFFERENCES FROM LAST YEAR - Initial set-up:

In an effort to streamline this event (least amount of down-time as possible), matches will be played on a first-come first-serve basis. That means if you two teams show up on time, we will have them play each other right then and there. This means that in the early portions of the tournament teams will not know who they are going to play, until right before the match starts.

After the first match ends we will put teams with one loss and one win into waiting rooms until we have another one win or one loss team available to play them. Then the 2 win team will go to a new waiting room and wait until another 2 win team is available to play. The one-loss one-win team will also wait for another one-loss one-win team to become available.

Sorry if this sounds confusing, I will answer any questions on it, but I believe that this will allow the matches to go at a much faster rate.

The Matches:

Best out of Three:
Last year each match consisted of a single game. The winner of that game moved on. This year the matches will consist of a best out of 3. The first team to win two games, wins the match.

Drops:
I am going to go ahead and trust the FRR here. The matches will just be 4v4. There will not be any observers in any of the early games unless specially requested and accepted by both teams. It will be up to the teams to play fairly and to be honest about who won.

In a 4v4 drop the game goes live the moment their 'mechs start up, like in a normal match. No moving to grids prior to the start of the game. All game-types will be set to skirmish and an entire match will be fought on a single map.

If there are any observers they have to immediately kill themselves by running out of bounds. No powered down mechs to confuse people.

I need every fourman team to try and have one person with Premium time on. If its absolutely impossible we can probably find an observer to drop with you, but that will take time - so please try to have a guy with Premium.

Maps:
Yggdrasil Bracket
The first match will be fought on Frozen City day.
The 2nd match will be fought on Forest Colony Frozen.
The 3rd match will be fought on Alpine.
The 4th match will be fought on Alpine
The 5th Match will be fought on Frozen City Night.
The 6th match will be fought on Frozen City Night.

Midgard Bracket:
The 1st Match will be Tourmaline;
The 2nd Match will be Caustic.
The 3rd Match will be River City Day.
The 4th Match will be on Canyon Network
The 5th Match will be on Viridian Bog.
The 6th Match will be on Forest Colony.

Please remember, each of these matches consist of multiple games. So every game in a match will be on the same map.

Mechs:
Inner Sphere Mechs only! Welcome to FRR, a faction in the Inner Sphere. If this upsets you, perhaps you should investigate moving to a Clan faction.

Teams of four, NO WEIGHT LIMIT. Instead one mech for each weight class. So ALL teams should have one light, one medium, one heavy and one assault. That is all, I don't care if you have the fattest of each class or the lightests, just make sure you have one of each.

Hero Mechs are OKAY. Technically they aren't supposed to be P2W.

Other Rules:
All consumables are OKAY. All builds (As long as they are IS) are OKAY! Bring pop-tarts and lrm boats and splash cats and whatever else you can think of. Odin doesn't much care how you win, so long as you do.

What does the Winner get?
At the moment, renown.

HOW DO I APPLY FOR THIS AWESOME EVENT, MtD?

If you have four people willing to participate, and are aligned with the FRR, then make a reply here saying you want to play and what your team name is, and who will be on it. If a unit has 10 four-man lances who want to play, that is fine. If you are a lance that isn't part of any unit, but is clearly FRR aligned that too is fine.

There just needs to be four of you, one of you needs to have premium time, and you all need to be able to make the event times.

Subs are totally allowed, up to 50% of your team.

At the moment that is all I got. Probably add more later as people remind me of things I forgot. Sorry it took me so long to get this written up, I've been quite busy within the Isengrim for the last few weeks.

YULE 2014:

True Berserkers don't need arm-armor!

Edited by Mech The Dane, 14 December 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#2 Grim DeGrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 118 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:25 AM

From a bed covered in bear pelts, the old knarled warrior hears the horns of war crying in the distance. A glance to the spear resting against the wall is the only encouragement he needs... to Yule to prove his worth yet again!

I'm down for it. Given that the lobby system provides for so much more flexibility now, so much easier to organize. Looking forward to it.

Edited by Grim DeGrim, 11 November 2014 - 08:26 AM.

#3 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:27 AM

Indeed. The 4v4 Bloodsmoot we've been running flows like a dream. The logistical nightmare of last year is a thing of the past. No more waiting around for three hours and only playing one or two matches.

#4 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCrash landed on Weingarten III

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:49 AM

I've posted the news to our forum. I'm pretty sure there will be more than a few Hussars interested and able to attend this year. Not sure how many yet, but as time goes on and details are hashed out I or someone from my unit will be able to give you a more accurate head count (assuming enough units can/wish to participate this year).

#5 SuperAtomicAirplane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:22 PM

What dates are you thinking of, Dane?

#6 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:51 PM

First three Saturdays of December.

#7 DaemonWulfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:39 PM

Skal! I'll get a thread up at Skjaldborg HQ and see if I can drum up some interested players. Shouldn't be too difficult. We've been talking amongst ourselves recently and some have been itching for a tournament, myself included.

#8 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:01 PM

I will be sure to have plenty of ale with me!

#9 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:56 PM

Well. There appears to be eager interest so I will put forth a rough outline of what I am thinking.

We will have a similar bracket to last year. So it is a double elimination tournament, people with no loses are in the Asgard bracket and people with one loss are in the Midgard bracket and people with two loses are out.

Last year teams fought a single match against each other. It was all we could afford with to do, and even that took considerable resources, but this year they will do best out of three. We will put two teams together in a private match and they will play all their matches, drop after drop. What that means is that a team will play mutliple times in a row before they have to move lobbies again,it also means that if you lose a single drop, you still haven't lost the entire battle. A little more forgiving to luck and mistakes.

Maps will not be random. But instead will be posted before the tournament starts so everyone knows what map they will be fighting in for every round of the tournament. These will be 4v4s and any unit can submit as many teams as they have members to fill. It would be best if one person in each four man team had premium activated or that they could activate as needed.

To my knowledge then Isengrim lacks the resources to broadcast matches on Twitch TV, the way Blue Vengence did. If another unit can do that or would be willing to, along with announcers, that'd be cool. Otherwise we'll just rely on videos made by individual teams and posted after the fact.

I will probably keep the same lance composition rules as before; a four man team should have mech of each weight class.

The matches would be on the 6th, 13th and 20th of December. I would say probably 8pm eastern standard time. I will let all of this sink in, let people offer up their suggestions about stuff I've mentioned here, and then make an official post about in the following week. Comment now!

Addendum: With private matches it may be feesible to do it in just two weeks (they would be long days though! Think marathon!) and perhaps be somewhat flexiable with the times. So maybe a bunch of matches at 7pm, then more at 9pm and finally some at 11pm.

Edited by Mech The Dane, 11 November 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#10 Troopie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 120 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:14 PM

Is there any possibilities to get some later time, 5am is little harsh.

#11 SuperAtomicAirplane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:05 PM

Aww, I'll be out of town on the 20th. Unless you can guarantee that my team will be eliminated before Week 3 I'll have to sit this one out :(

#12 Kamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:33 AM

Yeah even though we loved the last Yule tournament and didn't really mind to woke up and move our arses to your teamspeak 6 am to get told that the event started one hour later, we kind of hope better times for this year.

Ale, co-ordinated teamspeak chaos and massive amount of people sync dropping early in the morning was fun though. Good memories :D

#13 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:02 AM

View PostTroopie, on 11 November 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

Is there any possibilities to get some later time, 5am is little harsh.

View PostKamies, on 12 November 2014 - 01:33 AM, said:

Yeah even though we loved the last Yule tournament and didn't really mind to woke up and move our arses to your teamspeak 6 am to get told that the event started one hour later, we kind of hope better times for this year.

Ale, co-ordinated teamspeak chaos and massive amount of people sync dropping early in the morning was fun though. Good memories :D

Unfortunately, I work in the oil fields and have no time off. I work 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week. The window I have to do this is very small and to make it work I am basically forfeiting the majority of my sleep on those three Saturday's.

Speaking to the Finlanders; I can do the tournament starting at 7am Helsinki time. That is the absolute latest I can do. I could do it as early as 3am Helsinki time.. If you guys rather stay up way late then wake up early.

View PostSuperAtomicAirplane, on 11 November 2014 - 10:05 PM, said:

Aww, I'll be out of town on the 20th. Unless you can guarantee that my team will be eliminated before Week 3 I'll have to sit this one out :(

Hopefully the majority of our games will be done before then. So you should be fine, but then again if you are going to win it all well.. Have a good back up player ready!

Edited by Mech The Dane, 12 November 2014 - 07:08 AM.

#14 Kamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:39 AM

View PostMech The Dane, on 12 November 2014 - 07:02 AM, said:

Speaking to the Finlanders; I can do the tournament starting at 7am Helsinki time. That is the absolute latest I can do. I could do it as early as 3am Helsinki time.. If you guys rather stay up way late then wake up early.

Thanks. We shall think about this and let you know after a day or two if we find vikings sober enough to understand the call of your war horn.

#15 Zeleglok

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:23 PM

Thx for posting an invite at VRGD forum.
We'll try gathering a team, i'll inform interested people who may not read the forum.
TIL VALHALLA.

Edited by Guntar Lynn, 13 November 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#16 Zeleglok

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:28 PM

btw guys, we couldn't participate as well as some EU units cause of huge time zone difference between us.
For example 7.00pm EST is 4.00am next day for me... even for UK it'll be 1.00am. Bad, yeah ?
So i suggest finding time suitable enough for everyone in case we take part. I also have some FRR fans from Greece in my friend list.

Edited by Zeleglok, 13 November 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#17 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:37 AM

I´m so goddamn down with this, Ill be sure to get some BV guys to get up early.
Just posted it to our forum and will give you our registrations as soon as I got them.

BTW. Dane, make sure to write to a community manager about this, when I did my last 4v4 I got the info that PGI might support player ceated tournaments in an unspecified manner.

Edited by Klappspaten, 14 November 2014 - 02:41 AM.

#18 Kamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 234 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:18 PM

We though about this and I have find out two things:

1. It looks like Aseveljet most likely won't be sending team for this tourny this year. You go ahead and plan it without thinking about Finnish timezones. If we somehow manage to form the team anyway before the registeration closes we won't complain about times.

2. Santa Claus is not real.

It is going to be dark and sad Yule here in Finland. But you guys have fun!

#19 Mindwyrm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 101 posts
  • LocationIndiana USA

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:19 AM

View PostKamies, on 14 November 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

We though about this and I have find out two things:

1. It looks like Aseveljet most likely won't be sending team for this tourny this year. You go ahead and plan it without thinking about Finnish timezones. If we somehow manage to form the team anyway before the registeration closes we won't complain about times.

2. Santa Claus is not real.

It is going to be dark and sad Yule here in Finland. But you guys have fun!

Running into the same problem here with my Euro company mates. Is there any reason the brackets can't be set up and the results reported to you? As long as we do it over... say Saturday and Sunday?

#20 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:18 AM

If there is a a European unit or person who is willing to oversee it, it Is possible. The only issue then would be when do we merge the two brackets? Maybe they get all their early games at a reasonable time, but the last ones will still be at a crummy time.

Edited by Mech The Dane, 15 November 2014 - 06:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users