River City Blues!

7 replies to this topic

#1 Toast001

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

I suck at this map, i have a .54 win ratio.I don't understand the kill zones, everyone goes all over the place. I am trying to learn but it seems so random. Its to dark to use normal vision, heat vision is blocked by smoke, and night vision doesn't work for me either. How do you play this map? I play a heavy or assault so any advice please put in from that point of view.

Edited by Toast001, 11 November 2014 - 12:13 PM.

#2 Saiphas Cain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:25 PM

Heavy and assault are problematic for one team or the other depending on who RNGesus favors that match. One team always has their heaviest elements deployed on the far left flank, the battle runs counterclockwise, and the Assaults are typically blown to pieces, alone, by the opposing light elements. I think the new deployment zones are more the reason for that winrate than anything else. Everyone has issues with smoke, etc. The night map you don't have much choice on but adjusting the brightness and gamma will make the daytime one easy enough. Granted, when you boost those you suffer complete whiteout on Frozen City so it's hardly much of a solution. PGI devs either have perfect vision or just don't care about causing eyestrain on certain maps. You might try turning down the effects or blur to make things easier on the eyes. there was a great article on minimizing video settings to eliminate things that block YOUR vision but not line of fire but I'm having issues finding it at the moment.

#3 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:40 PM

Helps if you do a basic monitor calibration. Oftentimes what looks "pretty" to us is not the way things are intended to be viewed and that reduces optimal viewing ability - especially at night.

As for fighting tactics, It's just not designed for groups of 12. River city was designed back in the pre-poptart days and there really isn't a great way to play it anymore. Best case scenario, you hide behind buildings and whittle away at the enemy team that shows their faces and hope that your team is better at that self-same tactic than the enemy is.

#4 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:31 PM

It's a problematic map from an early phase in the games development. It might even be from the 8 vs. 8 days. It's too small and has geometry issues like those accursed statues. As someone of 'respectable age' I'm baffled at why PGI picked a game engine whose selling point is graphics and then continue to make it hard to see anything. And brown.

What I find works for me is to turn off the cockpit lights ('.' by default) to get rid of some of the glow effect. That will help you barely see in normal vision. I have hot keys assigned to my mouse and change among the three vision modes--normal for long range, night for short range and thermal for furballing. Getting proficient with switching modes is actually kind of handy as it's useful on lots of maps. For example, night vision will let you see through the smoke in the caldera on Caustic.

Oh, and there are config file settings that were added recently to remove cockpit glass and something else--do a search and change those settings.

#5 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:59 PM

Most important rule on this one, IMO, is not to get left behind. Assaults do get boned on this one often simply due to starting location...make sure you look at http://mwo.smurfy-ne...rcity&m=assault review the start locations and look for the best b-lines to the usual group-up locations:

citadel (upper left D4)
park (bottom left B3)
"uppper" (b2)
dropship (d4).

Also, the tendency is to fight at the citadel and it's important to watch for your guys shifting left or right and then following suite if they push (using the ramp/middle of citadel as a shortcut to the opposite side if need be).

Also, UAV's are good if you see the enemy pushing so as to PUG wrangle your buddies in to fighting off the attack.

#6 LordMelvin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 567 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:45 AM

The river of river city is a killzone. Stay away from there unless you're cleaning up or have a deathwish.

The city next to citadel makes for some great brawls but as mentioned above the geometry has a tendency to eat shots pretty frequently.

I like to switch between normal and night vision. Night vision has limited range but makes it way easier to see targets up close (it stops being useful around 600-800 meters). Normal vision can help you track moving targets at range if you look carefully for mech silhouettes.

One of the key things I've noticed about River City is that it can be very easy to get back into a corner. The map has a lot of dead ends and "U" shaped buildings. Getting stuck in one of those is almost guaranteed to get you killed. Watch your flanks and make sure you always have an avenue of escape.

#7 HansBlix WMD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:46 AM

View PostGauvan, on 12 November 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

It's a problematic map from an early phase in the games development. It might even be from the 8 vs. 8 days. It's too small and has geometry issues like those accursed statues. As someone of 'respectable age' I'm baffled at why PGI picked a game engine whose selling point is graphics and then continue to make it hard to see anything. And brown.

A lot of the maps are from the "8v8 days" (which weren't all that long ago). Even alpine. Yes it was more boring than it currently is. And it's currently very boring.

As for the lighting - I love the way River City looks with normal vision, really highlights the beautiful lighting effects in the engine. But it is annoying to fight in, I agree.

#8 purplewasabi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 170 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:12 AM

I actually like this map, and I pilot Assaults. As mentioned above, there are a lot of dead ends, uneven terrain and choke points in this map. Best to learn them use them to your advantage. For example, the area with the little indestructible statues is a good place to trap the enemy. A nice push from the docks across the water will cause the enemies to panic, often reversing into those little statues. They are also hard to see with normal/heat/night vision so players sometimes run into them while trying to escape. Aggregate the them together and its like shooting fish in a barrel.

Due to the size of the map, flanking maneuvers can also be executed quicker compared to other maps. Its either role, get rolled. Also make an effort to communicate to your team. If you're starting in a less desirable spawn point, and decided to fight than flee, best let them know. Hopefully they will understand and come to your aid.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users