Update On Bap

352 replies to this topic

#1 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:33 PM

Prior to the Nov 4th - 65% of 'Mechs carried BAP.

Post Nov 4th - 65% of 'Mechs carry BAP.

Not sure the LRM flow has been effected much - yes it is reaching out further. For 1.5 tons do you like it as is now, or at a smaller radius.

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:34 PM

I don't suppose we could get more functionality from it instead?

#3 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:35 PM

I don't think it made any difference how I view BAP. It's still 1.5ton piece that I don't want to take instead of more ammo/heatsinks. The close range countering of ecm doesn't seem worth it (the sensor range and stuff also not worth it).

#4 Tekadept

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:36 PM

How about we add this functionality of the BAP from lore to the game.

the Beagle includes a memory unit that records the events of a battle and allows for later playback. This includes the ability for the user to "re-fight" the battle by making different tactical decisions, which are then analyzed and implemented by the system, allowing for the resulting consequences to be observed

Edited by Tekadept, 12 November 2014 - 05:36 PM.

#5 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:37 PM

Im happy with the changes its makes me want to use it more. . I have really liked it on my clan streaks. Without the longer range most the time i could never get locks.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 12 November 2014 - 05:42 PM.

#6 Errant Variable

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:37 PM

I care if I'm carrying Streaks, but generally avoid them due to the poor DPS. I also generally don't LRM and bring my own TAG when I do, so I'm probably not the target demographic.

#7 Cyberiad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 342 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

I liked the 360m range change but I think it should only allow the mech with the BAP equipped the ability to target mechs under ECM. Right now it's acting as if it is a ECM in counter mode. Is this intentional or is this a bug?

#8 Dragomir Zelenka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:39 PM

I'm actually shocked 65% of mechs in the field carry BAP. I would have imagined it much lower.

I personally haven't seen much difference in play from before patch to now, even when running my ECM mechs.

#9 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:40 PM

Can it work as a baby ECM. Like having it causes it to take much longer to lock. then you can reduce the range. 1.5 or 1 tons.

If you don't wanna do anything with it. I think the range is fine. I rarely see ECM anyway because its not properly rewarded or the mechs that have it stay so far back that BAP/CAP can't reach it. I would say LRMs have been reduced, but there is still the occasional missile boat swarm that just reduces an entire team to scrap in a few volleys.

#10 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:40 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 12 November 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

I don't suppose we could get more functionality from it instead?

Agreed.

I think the radius could be shaved down quite a bit (180-240 ish), as it's so easy to stack to cover a huge area.

That being said, some additional functionality would be welcome if that helps add value over raw radius size.

#11 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:41 PM

I'm pretty happy with BAP at the moment. I would have never guessed that 65% of mechs carried BAP before this change, though.

#12 Lhaim

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:41 PM

65%, why?! :o

6,5% maybe?

Edited by Lhaim, 12 November 2014 - 05:43 PM.

#13 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:42 PM

65% carry BAP???? Pre 4th?

That seems surprisingly high.

I like the extended range. But it only seems slightly beneficial to me because of my play style.

Anecdotal, but there seems to have been less QQ about ECM since the 4th.

#14 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:43 PM

I like it.
I have it equipped on a couple mechs that do not even have missiles.

Not sure if it needs any added effects

The range to counter ECM seems to be just right.

Does one BAP still counter just one ECM, which ever ECM is closer?

#15 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:44 PM

Please try to stay away from passive gameplay mechanics.

Best way to really balance LRMs is to make them a more active part of gameplay. Both firing and defending against it.

Items like AMS, ECM, LRMs are passive items, that bascially decide the match before it starts. IE this team has #ECM, or AMS and therefore the LRMs the other team brings are useless. (passive elimination of 1/3 of all weapon types is just bogus). Or the other team has too many LRMS and your team has no AMS/ECM and get rained on all game.

These matches are decided beforehand, and are no fun to play out. Because skill plays less of a role.

One of the best ways to improve this part of gameplay is to make the defenses LRMs missiles active instead of passive.

Instead of a passive AMS that fires automatically without thought. AMS should be activated like a weapon, providing protection within a limited duration. Afterwards it should require a cooldown before firing again. Making it skill based to defend against the missiles rather than passive.

SRMs need to be looked over again altogether since its using recycled mechanics from LRM firing, which feel like a clumsy fit for the weapon. A placeholder that has been left at "good enough" can use refinement. But thats another story altogether.

Edited by Jin Ma, 12 November 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#16 R Razor

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:45 PM

Seems a little odd that it doubles the range of the ECM.......short of making it so only the BAP carrier can target the ECM mech I think it needs to go back to 180. Maybe give it the 360 range if it's coupled with a Command Console or something along those lines.

View PostJin Ma, on 12 November 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

Best way to really balance missiles is to make them a more active part of gameplay. Both firing and defending against it.

You're kidding right??? I mean are you playing MWO or some other game? There is absolutely no shortage of missiles in the game right now.

#17 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:46 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 12 November 2014 - 05:42 PM, said:

65% carry BAP???? Pre 4th?

That seems surprisingly high..

Yes it does seem quite high, I'd be shocked if the change pushed usage higher than that - that's already quite a lot.

#18 Eboli

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:51 PM

I am trying to add it to all of my mechs as I like the ability to let my team know (and target) ECM mechs which enter the range where BAP disrupts their ECM. ECM has had it good for quite a while although in the long term I think that the whole BAP/ECM component use needs to be rethought.

Cheers
Eboli

#19 Grimm Peaper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts
  • LocationEnjoys long walks with Assault mechs

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:53 PM

I like the current range and I've been mounting them more on my mechs because of it. Once the Loki arrives with it's ecm, I am pretty confident people will start mounting more BAP in response. There just aren't that many chassis capable of carrying ecm, but once the Loki arrives and ecm is everywhere, that will change fast.

How did you arrive at this 65% number? Is that how many drop with BAP equipped or is that how many mechs in the mech bay have it equipped? Because i only keep 2 bap in my entire inventory and move them around to save on c-bill costs.

#20 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:54 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 12 November 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

Prior to the Nov 4th - 65% of 'Mechs carried BAP.

Post Nov 4th - 65% of 'Mechs carry BAP.

Not sure the LRM flow has been effected much - yes it is reaching out further. For 1.5 tons do you like it as is now, or at a smaller radius.

BAP carrying largely unchanged... 65% pre-Nov 4th... Mind blown.

Granted, my only change was Founder Catapult carrying it now... but my Timberwolf Prime already had one and I don't feel a dire need to have active probe in a mech that lacks guided weapons.

In fact, that 65% really explains a lot.

That said, I like that BAP is finally a credible counter to ECM (without having to hug the face of your enemy which isn't an option for LRM'ers. I know about TAG, yes).

On the other hand, I'm not sure 360m isn't a bit much.

Idea : Counter maybe 240-[300]m and up to [400]m flag ECM mech on minimap? Like Seismic, except just mechs that are using ECM in disrupt mode. I think canon-wise BAP is supposed to warn when there's ECM nearby. For that matter, even _without_ the minimap, could we get an indication that BAP _is_ countering some ECM? It makes sense.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users