#21 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:11 PM

I appreciate the vote of confidence :lol:
Fair warning - though I have been on most weekends lately - this week I will probably not
Doing some work for my sister Saturday in exchange for part of the cost of the Resistance package. :D
(really hoping they do not do another challenge this week because of it :unsure:)

#22 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:20 PM

Hahaha you thought no one would notice that you're "liking" every post here Shar Wolf but I did!

EDIT: Ignore this post if you want to stay on topic

Edited by TheSilkenPimp, 13 November 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#23 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:30 PM

I have had several people comment lately on that actually - but we are getting off topic some.
http://mwomercs.com/...uidestutorials/

This list ^^^ has most of the guides people have written in it.
(Blasted win.8 will not let my do links other ways)

However I just checked and it appears to be missing one of the big ones
http://mwomercs.com/...x-localization/

The hitbox thread.
Showing WHERE to hit mechs to cause damage where you want to.

#24 Heffey

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:28 PM

View PostPatu, on 12 November 2014 - 11:18 PM, said:

Quirks: Are passive boni,

Quirks are boni, while red ones are mali.

Most of the times quirks refer to the newly introduced passive boni

Googled those words and only found http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Boni,_Mali

#25 GARhenus

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:44 PM

apparently the road to greatness is paved with tons of failure, particularly in this game

I'm still stuck at 0-2 assists per game and sub 100 damage

Not sure what to do to increase my survivability, expose myself for less than 2 seconds and i find my 'mech missing an arm/leg, but when i try to hang back i'm not contributing to the fight (was mostly trying to expose enemy mechs from the flank)

I also need to improve on is the right mindset (goals, assessing trades, positioning, whatever)

7 M C-bills to go :)

Edited by Gar Kerensky, 13 November 2014 - 11:39 PM.

#26 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:53 PM

The current crop of trial mechs is particularly bad. There is no shame from getting mediocre results with them.

Perhaps try the Firestarter over the Spider. The stock Nova is terrible.

Edited by Spheroid, 14 November 2014 - 12:08 AM.

#27 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:37 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 13 November 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

I appreciate the vote of confidence :lol:
Fair warning - though I have been on most weekends lately - this week I will probably not
Doing some work for my sister Saturday in exchange for part of the cost of the Resistance package. :D
(really hoping they do not do another challenge this week because of it :unsure:)

Oh my poor summer child.......... https://mwomercs.com/tournaments

Come on, you know you want (another one of) that Hula girl!

Just 10 games man, 10 games! You could stop after that, right? Come on man, you know you want it, the shakes will be bad if you don't....

#28 Patu

• PipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:37 AM

View PostHeffey, on 13 November 2014 - 05:28 PM, said:

Googled those words and only found http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Boni,_Mali

Boni is the latin plural of bonus, while mali is the latin plural of malus. Since bonus and malus are latin words, I tend to use the "correct" plural.

#29 Heffey

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:15 PM

View PostPatu, on 14 November 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

Boni is the latin plural of bonus, while mali is the latin plural of malus. Since bonus and malus are latin words, I tend to use the "correct" plural.

"Correct" is definitely correct.

#30 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:25 PM

View PostSnagaDance, on 14 November 2014 - 12:37 AM, said:

Oh my poor summer child.......... https://mwomercs.com/tournaments

Yeah, saw that. :ph34r:

Good news is I have several hours before my sister gets off work.
So if GAR is online for that I can drag him with me some. :P
Tally-ho!*

*Which apparently means roughly - "I see them/it" :lol:

#31 GARhenus

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:43 PM

current kill ratio is now .35 :(

good news is i only have 3m to go before i hit 15m cbills

and 4 more wins before that hula-girl thing

Edited by Gar Kerensky, 16 November 2014 - 12:46 AM.

#32 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:15 AM

Keep on keepin on, I'm a player nuttier than a big horner dropping that can at least post for now that could contribute.

I am away from my main rig that can handle MWO! at least on the short term.

So don't worry about Kill Ratio as long as you are having fun while making C-Bills!

What do you feel, you feel you are struggling most with?

#33 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:21 AM

A tip that worked for me with aiming.

Slow your mouse sensitivity down to between 20% and 10% in the options menu.

Before I slowed my mouse down I was shooting all over the place. After slowing it down I've headshot 41 enemy mechs and a couple of my own team when the need arose.

#34 GARhenus

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:10 AM

I tend to take too much time making U-turns or retreating even with more agile 'mechs

Most of my kills/assists only happen when there's a brawl happening

and i shoot 1 large laser at them and they retaliate with 900 clan er ultra gauss rifle 20s. I dunno how to hillsnipe and i can't seem to jump higher than 10 meters without burning all of my JJs

got 10 wins for the event... a little more for the Timby!

Edited by Gar Kerensky, 16 November 2014 - 07:08 AM.

#35 Patu

• PipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:30 AM

First of all, you havent skilled your mechs yet (because you cant). There are a couple of skills that will improve mobility of your mech and the difference they make is rather huge.
On top of that, it is important, that you start turning even before you have made contact. Think about the situation and try to predict possible contact points with the enemy. With time you get a feel for these points.
If you turn before poking around a corner, your forward velocity will still make you poke out, while your legs are already turning.

Edited by Patu, 16 November 2014 - 09:30 AM.

#36 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:03 AM

I'm late to this party...

View PostGARhenus, on 12 November 2014 - 08:13 PM, said:

Hi, just installed the game yesterday. I've played all MW PC games (except pirate's moon) but I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore fan, being unfamiliar with most of the Battletech universe.

Welcome to MWO.

I've played 20 games already but barely know anything about the game. Looking for a mentor + a company of more experienced clanners to help improve my piloting skills. My IGN is Gar Kerensky so please send me a PM or anything in case I'm online

It sounds like you might have a Battletech history. That'll help...kind-of. One thing that irks me is that this game has created many of its own rules out of necessity after a number of other rules they made up sort of made balancing based on BT impossible.

- I only reached 300 damage like... 2-4 times? The rest is sub-200 (even sub 100). I also have a few matches where i did 0 damage.
- I have yet to score more than 3 kills, most i had was one game with 2 kills and 2 assists. Most of the time i only get 0 kills and maybe 1-2 assist.

That is actually pretty good for a new player. For a few games recently I was having trouble going past 100 damage, but I'm grinding out a Commando 1D to the "quirk" system and honestly the developers' idea of what to quirk it for is pretty bad.

- I have no idea what ECM does (as well as the other icons that pop up when targeting), but I see other players fielding them

Think about what ECM did on most mechwarrior / Battletech games: Stops Artemis from functioning. Adds a lock on delay.
Now add: Makes mech invisible to sensors beyond 180 meters (rather than within 180 meters as is BT proper).

... and what's are quirks? I keep seeing this word all over the website and in in-game chat

Quirks are PGI's latest attempt to bring Clans and IS mechs to be even at the extent that they are 1 to 1, rather than the lore proper 5 to 8 or the eagerly suggested 10 to 12. Ironically they started with Clan mechs to give you reason to use Omnipods with fewer hardpoints. I personally view them as PGI's method of giving us "weapon variants" without actually giving us weapon variants, as an AC/20 is an AC/20 unless you stick it into a Hunchback 4G, in which case it's a 14 ton instant win gun. :P (Not literally, but lets just say Hunchback 4Gs in my hands were formidable to anyone on the wrong end of my gun. Now, my kdr in them may as well have just tripled).

They increase or decrease certain parameters (reload speed [known as cooldown], beam duration, range, projectile speed, spread [for shotgun/missile type weapons], heat, etc.) of general weapon classes or specific weapons, as well as armor/structure/heat attributes of the mechs themselves. Sometimes they are positive. Sometimes they are negative. Sometimes they are double -edged.

An example of a double edged quirk is "External Heat Transfer -50%."
This means that external temperatures have 50% less effect on the mech.
The good? Lava, calderas, deserts, etc... have 50% less effect on the mech's actual heat.
The bad? Cold maps, snow, ice, water, etc. also have 50% less cooling on the mech.

#37 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:51 AM

View PostKoniving, on 16 November 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

An example of a double edged quirk is "External Heat Transfer -50%."
This means that external temperatures have 50% less effect on the mech.
The good? Lava, calderas, deserts, etc... have 50% less effect on the mech's actual heat.
The bad? Cold maps, snow, ice, water, etc. also have 50% less cooling on the mech.

:o :blink: :wacko:

#38 GARhenus

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:01 PM

Had a lucky win streak - but I still get terrible scores most of the time. Also starting to get used to the maps.

I also realized that the first one to lose a player tends to lose all the way. So many curbstomps.

Also got a survivor... title I guess (the one you get from phyrric victory achievement)? aside from the Knight errant title
Posted Image

Edited by Gar Kerensky, 16 November 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#39 GARhenus

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:38 PM

Thanks to Keira RAVEN McKenna for the tip about dialing back the mouse sensitivity. Definitely improved my accuracy. I've yet to hit the sweet spot (coz if it's too low the arms feel too "tight"). I'm using the trial spider and it's main punch comes from the ERL laser on one of its torsos, but once i get my Timby (planning to put lasers on its arms) i'm sure i'll have to increase sensitivity again by 5-15%.

Finaly got my TImby!

But no hula girl :(

Ill try to get used to the mech lab after i'm done with work

Edited by Gar Kerensky, 17 November 2014 - 02:35 AM.

#40 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:13 AM

View PostGar Kerensky, on 16 November 2014 - 07:38 PM, said:

Finaly got my TImby!

But no hula girl :(

Hula girl and extra C-bills made through the challenge will be injected once PGI officially declares the tournament over. Expect one of those blue screen to pop up soon/the next time you start the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users