- - - - -

Need A Mentor

45 replies to this topic

#1 Gahenus

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:13 PM

Hi, just installed the game yesterday. I've played all MW PC games (except pirate's moon) but I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore fan, being unfamiliar with most of the Battletech universe.

I've played 20 games already but barely know anything about the game. Looking for a mentor + a company of more experienced clanners to help improve my piloting skills. My IGN is Gar Kerensky so please send me a PM or anything in case I'm online

Here's what I can tell about my games so far

- Piloting is so-so, I can navigate terrain and weave through buildings with ease but as soon as I start circle strafing it all goes to **** unless the terrain is open/flat. I also can't hit a single point of the mech as consistently as I did back then in older MW games.

- Haven't rolled a heavy 'mech yet, I used the trial Direwolf/Daishi and a nova(bhawk?) once, but i plotted the trial spider 'mech for the rest of my games

- I only reached 300 damage like... 2-4 times? The rest is sub-200 (even sub 100). I also have a few matches where i did 0 damage.

- I have yet to score more than 3 kills, most i had was one game with 2 kills and 2 assists. Most of the time i only get 0 kills and maybe 1-2 assist.

- I have no idea what ECM does (as well as the other icons that pop up when targeting), but I see other players fielding them

- I have yet to spend c-bills on anything, and I don't have the means to purchase MC/mechs but I prefer clan tech (it's gonna be a long grind)

- also, pls don't sh*t on me for aiming for a timberwolf prime. I've always loved that 'mech since MW 2

... and what's are quirks? I keep seeing this word all over the website and in in-game chat

Edited by GARhenus, 12 November 2014 - 08:18 PM.

#2 Patu

• PipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:18 PM

Hey,

I am no pro but I get along quite well. I send you a friend invite ingame, feel free to accept it.
Get whatever mech you want really, if you want a timberwolf, then go for it! (Especially since its not a bad mech!)

Some things to get you started:
If you want to know something and there is nobody there to explain, you can always head to the wiki: http://mwo.gamepedia.com/Main_Page (It's not always up to date, but it is really useful)
Also, if you want to theorycraft some potential builds, head over to: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/
For fluff/canon/lore most people would redirect you to: http://www.sarna.net...hWarrior_Online

Now that thats out of the way, I will quickly explain some basic things:
In the first 25 games you will recieve bonus credits. It is advised to think about which mech to buy first, because the next mechs will take far longer to get.
Trialmechs are a good way to earn some cash in the beginning, also they help you get a general feel for a mech. Note that trialmechs are usually far inferior to actually customized mechs.

ECM: http://mwo.gamepedia.com/ECM (I could write a huge article about ECM, but everything you need to know is already nicely presented on the wiki)

Quirks: Are passive boni, they are displayed if you hover over a mech in the Mechbay and wait a moment. A window to the right pops up, with all sorts of information. In the bottom left of that window the Quirks will be displayed (if the mech has any).
Green (or teal) Quirks are boni, while red ones are mali.
Most of the times quirks refer to the newly introduced passive boni that were applied to most IS mechs on Nov. 4th. This was done to increase usabilty for mechs that were obsoleted by newer mechs / better chassis.

#3 Gahenus

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:53 AM

Thank you so much for that informative post. Looks like I have plenty of reading ahead of me. I'll accept your in-game invite as soon as my work is finished and I have the chance to play.

#4 GARhenus

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:02 AM

Turns out I was using a different email (same guy as OP here. This is the main account I use)

currently with a .5 kill ratio and a 12/9 win loss record

#5 CMetz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 289 posts
  • LocationCortlandt Manor, NY

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:03 AM

While I'm not a clanner, I personally enjoy working with new players, especially ones willing to learn. I'm sure other members of my unit would enjoy helping you as well. Amongst my guys we pretty much have every possible playstyle represented, so someone will be able to help develop your skills in the way that benefits you most. Feel free to add me as a friend in game and send me a message next time you see me online.

#6 GARhenus

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:30 AM

Awsum. I'm currently stuck playing a light mech but I'd like to fight at mid-close ranges (around 400-800 meters) on a heavier mech one day.

I was tinkering with the link that Patu (thanks!) sent me and tried building my future Timby like this.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1d86a604d00a312

I had trouble making the most out of the free tonnage so i just decided to dump them on armor + heatsinks +ammo

Edited by Gar Kerensky, 13 November 2014 - 01:33 AM.

#7 Patu

• PipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:51 AM

You can actually take half tons of ammo, so you might want to strip two points of armor somewhere and take some more ammo. Or reduce one ton of ammo to half a ton and add a heatsink. Tons of possibilties there to get rid of the free tonnage.

Also, just if you didn't know: The clan mechs (up until now) are all omni mechs. That means you can switch parts of your mech for parts of other variants of the same mech. In every module (apart from center torso) you have a small menu "tbr-prime" where you can select other modules. They often have different hardpoints. This way you can get more/different hardpoints and even JJ (Jump Jets) for your timber!

Edited by Patu, 13 November 2014 - 01:55 AM.

#8 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:09 AM

This thread is a good ressource for helpfull players:
http://mwomercs.com/...then-look-here/

#9 GARhenus

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:48 AM

Holy crap... I'm adding that to my TS as soon as I'm done with today's work. Thanks guys!

I'd like to join Clan Wolf but I'd still want to learn from as many people as possible. (mostly want to join clans for a bit of roleplaying)

Also regarding what I tried building - i had too much free tonnage but I don't have enough hard points/slots for an extra gun/ammo/heatsink. I'm sure I'll come up with a better build in the future but right now I think i'm restricted to 4 meds and LRM/streaks

Edited by Gar Kerensky, 13 November 2014 - 02:58 AM.

#10 Patu

• PipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:08 AM

If you disable the 'lower arm actuators' you gain one slot in each arm.

#11 GARhenus

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:16 AM

wouldn't that affect the armlock thing? I'm trying to get used to armlock off (shift key bound to toggle armlock)

edit: updated it, was able to jam an extra ammo + heatsink. lost head armor though... I think i should figure out which parts need the most armor and which ones I can do without. at this poitn all I'm doing is theory crafting

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b90be6359d2483f

Edited by Gar Kerensky, 13 November 2014 - 03:27 AM.

#12 Patu

• PipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:21 AM

Yep it would affect it! I am just trying to show you paths, you will have to choose which one yourself ;) .

No armor at the head is a horrible idea! You will die pretty quickly!
You might want to consider downgrading the LRMs to LRM 15s. You'd gain 4 slots and 3 tons, while your firepower is still pretty good.

Edited by Patu, 13 November 2014 - 03:31 AM.

#13 GARhenus

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:54 AM

Well, here's what i got after learning the module + arm actuator thing from you guys

6 ERMDL, 2 lrm 15,
23 heatsinks, 720 lrm ammo, BAP (not sure if this is necessary for a med-range build but I'm guessing the LRM15's will need it.

- Used Left Torso module from Timber Wolf S
- Removed Lower Arm Actuators

5 points on head (just in case)

60 points in leg armor

20 points in each rear armor

Other armor slots are full

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b90be6359d2483f

Can't wait to gather up enough c-bills :) sould prolly take me a week or two before i can get my hands on this. Then I'll have to add/remove heatsinks/ammo depending on its performance.

Edited by Gar Kerensky, 13 November 2014 - 03:57 AM.

#14 Gahenus

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:21 AM

update: shifted armor locations, but pretty much the same, i dunno how badly people need leg armor in this game but right now maybe 15 on head and 55 on each leg is a safer bet

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8105826a7264292

I'm probably putting too much armor on rear parts, but as someone whose all kills so far are made with a trial spidermech, I'm pretty sure no rear armor is just asking for it.

#15 Patu

• PipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:40 AM

I would put at least 16 armor on the head. Why? Double gauss snipers will aim at you head, if they hit, they will inflict 30 damage. Your head interior has 15 hitpoints. 16 points of armor means, you survive. With 18 armor you will survive even if someone glanced your cockpit with a laser before.
Rear armor is something you must find out for yourself. People like different values and they heavily depend on your playstyle.
Even though leg armor is important (you are doomed if you lose a leg, and dead if you lose both), usually armor is reduced at the legs first, because often they have more armor than your torso.

#16 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:59 AM

if you are interested in joining a Clan Wolf unit look here:
http://mwomercs.com/.../198-clan-wolf/

#17 Ballimbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:37 AM

Hi.

Only a short notice. I do know, that you're still new to mech builds and cerntainly have many questions about details, but, as you are already theory-crafting builds - take a look at this site:

http://www.mechspecs.com

and in particular the section dealing with Timberwolfs:

http://www.mechspecs...olf-builds.227/

there you'll find many ideas and inspiration, just to see what's possible. Mostly, people also discuss those builds, so you could learn about strengths and weaknesses etc. of a particular composition. And then you can go look up the details to specific parts and their use.
(I myself don't play clan mechs, so not much more I can say about timberwolfs)

Have fun.... both of you ;)

Edited by Ballimbo, 13 November 2014 - 05:37 AM.

#18 Gahenus

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:46 AM

thanks guys, didn't expect that much help during my first 2 days of playing. I'll be online in an hour or two... in my trial spider :)

#19 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:05 AM

I cannot say when I will be online - but if someone else wants to help with the premium time requirements - I am more than willing to put some time into some private match training when I am online.

#20 SteelGuardian

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNortheast PA.

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 13 November 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

I cannot say when I will be online - but if someone else wants to help with the premium time requirements - I am more than willing to put some time into some private match training when I am online.

Count me in shar wolf is a great trainer him and iraqwalker help me out when i first started
I will help however i can

Edited by SteelGuardian, 13 November 2014 - 11:17 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users