Threads Explaining Ingame Mechanisms (Matchmaker)

Suggestion

9 replies to this topic

#1 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:15 AM

Suggestion:
Can we have a comprehensive explanation how the matchmaker works?
- What are the default settings it's looking for?
- When does it open which release valve (approximatly)?
- What is the average Elo difference between red and blue?
- What is the average Elo difference between players of a single team?
- Some examples and grafics?
- What are the differences between the Solo and the Group queue?
- What is the relevance of mode selection to the matchmaker?
- anythign else I can't come up with right now

I know this would be a lot of work, but all we currently have is the Elo implementation post, the patch notes and a few breadcrumbs by Karl Berg.

It would certainly help to remove various misconceptions and gripes from the forums. For example:
- the rumor about forced 50/50 win rates
- the stories about some players forced to carry the matches of lower Elo players, because they get intentionally mixed up with them

There are a lot of threads about these misconceptions and as no one has a complete picture of the MM it is hard to explain its workings.

We would need such threads about other game mechanics as well, but I'd say this one should be the start.

#2 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:24 AM

I couldn't agree more.

At the moment, all we have are multiple posts that are spread out all over the Forums that explain bits and pieces of the system...but not everything in one spot. And a lot of the posts out there are "iffy" at best.

For those that don't know, the matchmaker was re-written around the time of the Clan release. In fact, if memory serves, it was actually delayed a patch due to problems found in the test server. Regardless, the patch notes explained some of the more important changes to the matchmaker but didn't really explain how it works with regard to the whole Elo system.

To be completely honest with you, I've got a feeling the whole 50/50 thing (or as it is more commonly referred to, the 1:1 W/L thing) is something that was removed from the matchmaker's previous incarnation when it was re-written. Prior to the re-write, it really felt like the matchmaker was doing it's level best to keep you at 1:1. Now...not so much. Sure, you'll hit a MAJOR losing streak...but it still just feels different than it did.

Thanks, Egomane. I hope Karl responds.

#3 SgtKinCaiD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationBordeaux

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:40 AM

I second this !

#4 LordSkippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:23 AM

This information is severely needed.

#5 DaynarFaol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 103 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:07 AM

Agreed.

#6 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:42 AM

Yes please.

#7 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:43 AM

While this is needed, the same complaint could be made about virtually any mechanic in the game. What we really need is an all-encompassing manual/guide.

#8 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:41 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 22 January 2015 - 09:43 AM, said:

While this is needed, the same complaint could be made about virtually any mechanic in the game. What we really need is an all-encompassing manual/guide.

It's already a part of my suggestion, that we need this for more then the MM. The MM is hopefully only the start of a whole lot of threads explaining the core game functionalities.

View PostEgomane, on 13 November 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

We would need such threads about other game mechanics as well, but I'd say this one should be the start.

#9 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:06 PM

i can bump this train.

#10 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:23 AM

I can bump it as well, just as well as I'd also like to hear what you like to hear ...

However its never happening. Officially because if they do let us know (same with Elo score formula) then we'll somehow be able to "game" the system. Honestly tho, I just think they aren't letting anyone know simply because it is coded so poorly it'll be obvious that there are mokeys who did it, or ... because its they who are "gaming" us via the MM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users