So How About Them Firestarter-A's And K's?

134 replies to this topic

#1 Crunk Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 255 posts
  • LocationJamalia

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:04 AM

-150kph
-JJ's
-8 small pulse lasers/8 small lasers
-32 damage alpha strike for pulse/24 damage for regular
-can fire about every 2 seconds with cooldown modules and pilot tree skills
-very little heat generated

Its a little too good.

#2 PACoFist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 270 posts
  • LocationThe Eye Of Chaos

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:09 AM

Even small lasers will overheat you very quick. And their range is just ridiculous.

#3 Joey Tankblaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 516 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:14 AM

Its good, very good.

Pros:
32 alpha usually in on spot
short cooldown
No overheat issue
lose your arms you can still fight
fast plus JJs
hitbox

Drawbacks:
very, very short ranged
close quarter fighter
loses arms and legs quickly

My actual K/D in 44 games is 4.45. So it has pros and cons.

#4 Crunk Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 255 posts
  • LocationJamalia

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:19 AM

View PostPACoFist, on 14 November 2014 - 02:09 AM, said:

Even small lasers will overheat you very quick. And their range is just ridiculous.

I can fire 5 times in my Firestarter-Kwith 8 small pulse lasers and 12 double heatsinks before I overheat. Thats over 100 damage it can do in a couple seconds before I have to run away and cool down a little. If Im on a cold map I can keep going without stopping.

The Firestarter-A does even better because it has quirks that let it produce 15% less heat when firing small pulse lasers.

#5 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:36 AM

Firestarter needs to be nerfed (hit boxes fixed, when moving).

#6 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:51 AM

They're certainly not a problem in the solo queue. Few people know how to play them.

They're also pretty "feast or famine", due to their short range. If your team is doing well and creating distractions, you can do a lot of damage. If your team is struggling and hiding a lot, it's pretty hard to break cover and do some damage when you have to get in such short range. You basically have to wait for a good brawl, or go out and find isolated targets. If neither is possible, you're out of luck.

#7 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:00 AM

The K is my favorite.

#8 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:11 AM

I haven't learned to play Firestarters in a way that works with small lasers. I tend to do best using my Jenner tactics of peeping over hills and around corners then getting back in before I get shot. That means medium lasers are the go to weapons. Anyone want to explain how to use them with small lasers?

#9 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:13 AM

I've seen small pulse and small lasers do some crazy damage since quirks. That's all I'm gonna say...

#10 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:14 AM

View PostJohn1352, on 14 November 2014 - 06:11 AM, said:

I haven't learned to play Firestarters in a way that works with small lasers. I tend to do best using my Jenner tactics of peeping over hills and around corners then getting back in before I get shot. That means medium lasers are the go to weapons. Anyone want to explain how to use them with small lasers?

I use it to scout initially, then just become a general pain in the ass to everyone I run across trying to find anyone separated from the heard.

#11 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:29 AM

Range means its only good for drive-by, and the boxy arms and legs are easy to hit vs other light mechs. Are you in a dire whale by chance?

Flamer quirks would be better

#12 Green Mamba

• Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:34 AM

Tried it ...went back to my K as the survivability with the small pulse lasers is lower due to you having to get much closer to the enemy for just 2 points more damage per alpha over 6 MLs.

I guess people want a 1% Light Que for all these Nerf _____ Light threads

Edited by Green Mamba, 14 November 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#13 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:08 AM

And to think we used to complain about splat-cats that were powerful but only short ranged.

It's powerful but situational.

#14 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:13 AM

NO.

#15 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:14 AM

View PostPACoFist, on 14 November 2014 - 02:09 AM, said:

Especially the range part is of note. I'd still rather take a medium laser any day over a small pulse because getting in that close to the enemy greatly increases the risk of dying an early death.

#16 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:42 AM

View PostJohn1352, on 14 November 2014 - 06:11 AM, said:

Play aggressive. As in, play very aggressive.

People in here are saying you have to either look for isolated targets or a brawl. This is not true. All you have to do is enter the enemy's line from the side and, from there, generally make a pain in the arse of yourself. Sometimes, you can even just break out into the middle, if you have a particular target that is weak. It's insanely easy to break 700 damage in the FS9-A with SPL, and any Assault 'Mech will be dead in three shots to the rear. My first game with it, I blew through two Dire Wolves and a Battlemaster in less than 60 seconds, and the only reason it took me that long was because my teammates interfered and started hammering the target with LRMs, making it start twisting around wildly to spread damage.

Even other Lights are generally non-issues. The alpha will blow the leg off of a Commando or Locust in one. You can core a Raven or Firestarter in 3 to the front. Side torsos in less. You can amputate arms at will, making certain Lights totally non-threatening in seconds. The only real drawback is that you get so close sometimes that the guns can't converge and the damage gets spread.

I imagine the FS9-K is similar to the FS9-A, but a bit more challenging with the lower damage and slower burn.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:47 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 14 November 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

Play aggressive. As in, play very aggressive.

People in here are saying you have to either look for isolated targets or a brawl. This is not true. All you have to do is enter the enemy's line from the side and, from there, generally make a pain in the arse of yourself. Sometimes, you can even just break out into the middle, if you have a particular target that is weak. It's insanely easy to break 700 damage in the FS9-A with SPL, and any Assault 'Mech will be dead in three shots to the rear. My first game with it, I blew through two Dire Wolves and a Battlemaster in less than 60 seconds, and the only reason it took me that long was because my teammates interfered and started hammering the target with LRMs, making it start twisting around wildly to spread damage.

Even other Lights are generally non-issues. The alpha will blow the leg off of a Commando or Locust in one. You can core a Raven or Firestarter in 3 to the front. Side torsos in less. You can amputate arms at will, making certain Lights totally non-threatening in seconds. The only real drawback is that you get so close sometimes that the guns can't converge and the damage gets spread.

I imagine the FS9-K is similar to the FS9-A, but a bit more challenging with the lower damage and slower burn.

yup, nothing wrong with them hitboxes, registration, at all.

#18 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:47 AM

Those are OP. They real are.

#19 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

If a mech with small lasers or small pulse lasers is terrorizing you or your team, then you or your team have likely made a tactical error.

#20 SecretMantis

• PipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:52 AM

I think the SPL build is really strong. Not only vs heavy targets but also light vs light action. I've played a number of games now in my Jenner only to get immediately legged upon seeing an enemy FS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users