#1 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:41 PM

It might be the sci-fi movie of this generation, both in terms of its plot and visualization. And idea. And scientific rigidity. It's not flawless, but it went as far as it could. It just might shoulder with 2001 A Space Odyssey.

And I've seen people compare it with Gravity. No, it's not even in the same dimension with Gravity.

#2 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:17 PM

so pretty good ?

#3 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:28 AM

No. While it was an entertaining movie I don't believe it qualifies as "the sci-fi movie of this generation" Guardians of the Galaxy was way better for a sci-fi movie. Visually, even Prometheus was better than Gravity or Interstellar. Avatar is way better a choice for the Sci-fi movie of this generation. Both Gravity and Interstellar are really just vehicles for the cast, not much more in my view. I mean, nobody wants to see Sandra Bullock or the others in trouble (they were themselves as Tropes we are used to seeing them as But with Avatar and Guardians, you were more focused on the stories.

Like I said, it was entertaining and worth seeing. I just didn't find it "all that".

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 16 November 2014 - 09:28 AM.

#4 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:04 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 16 November 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

No. While it was an entertaining movie I don't believe it qualifies as "the sci-fi movie of this generation" Guardians of the Galaxy was way better for a sci-fi movie. Visually, even Prometheus was better than Gravity or Interstellar. Avatar is way better a choice for the Sci-fi movie of this generation. Both Gravity and Interstellar are really just vehicles for the cast, not much more in my view. I mean, nobody wants to see Sandra Bullock or the others in trouble (they were themselves as Tropes we are used to seeing them as But with Avatar and Guardians, you were more focused on the stories.

Like I said, it was entertaining and worth seeing. I just didn't find it "all that".

Really? I haven't seen interstellar, but I thought Avatar had the biggest cliche plot in all of history. Sure the graphics were amazing but good graphics doesn't make a good story.

Edited by StompingOnTanks, 16 November 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#5 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:10 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 16 November 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

Avatar isn't SciFi. It's Pocahontas in Space - with big smurfs.
Guardians of the Galaxy isn't SciFi. It's a Fantasy Film like Star Wars.
Prometheus isn't SciFi, it's an insult to anyone with a working brain http://youtu.be/VdavBZwBP5Q

#6 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:47 PM

I just got back from the cinema,
Interstellar is one of the best realistic near future Science fiction films I have seen, bear in mind this is in a different category to films like Alien, Star Trek, Star Wars, Avatar.
it more closely resembles 2001 or Gravity

Interstellar is serious science fiction designed to make you think, it is as scientifically accurate as it is realistically possible for a film to be and still have appeal to a large group of people, it is not a sci-fi action or horror film, if you are looking for a mindless action film look elsewhere, also if you are after totally accurate to the laws of physics as we know them this film is not for you (that meens you Marack).

#7 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:21 PM

View PostAlreech, on 16 November 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

Avatar isn't SciFi. It's Pocahontas in Space - with big smurfs.
Guardians of the Galaxy isn't SciFi. It's a Fantasy Film like Star Wars.
Prometheus isn't SciFi, it's an insult to anyone with a working brain http://youtu.be/VdavBZwBP5Q

I think your understanding of what science fiction is, is a little warped... :D

#8 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:46 PM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 16 November 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

I think your understanding of what science fiction is, is a little warped... :D

it is, indeed. ;)

I liked Guardians of the Galaxy, it's a great movie, but it's not Science Fiction. Just because a movie has Space Ships in it doesn't make the movie SciFi.
Prometheus has plot holes big enough to fly a Death Star through them, that's bad for any kind of movie.

And Star Wars is a Fantasy Story from a Galaxy far. far away ;)
The story of Episode IV would work without any space ships. blasters or SciFi technology, the story of Gravity or Interstellar won't.
On of the few mistakes in the plot of Interstellar is that Plan B wouldn't work with that crew (not enough women).

#9 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:30 PM

We're talking about 2 genres here: science-fiction vs science-fantasy. Sci-fi is more about how humanity would cope with new stuff, an science-fantasy is...well, fantasy. The force and such.

An that puts Interstellar in the former. Along with Gravity - Gravity wasn't nearly as hardcore on the science part, but it was very humane. Same can be said for Brave New World, 2001, and Deus Ex.

The rest goes to the science-fantasy, in which case I'd rather go big or go home on the fantasy part, Long lives the God-Emperor!

#10 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:31 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 16 November 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

<snip>A woman is trapped in space (even though she shouldn't be there as there would by WAY more qualified people), because shrapnel from an exploding satellite is orbiting earth and it destroys her ship.</snip>

Meet Christa McAuliffe.
Posted Image
Christa was one of the seven crew who died in the 1986 Challenger disaster. She was a teacher, not of science or maths or engineering, but social studies, history, law and economics. "Qualified" does not always mean being able to remix a spaceship Apollo 13-style. Space is for everybody...

#11 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:21 PM

You did not just compare Interstellar with Prometheus....

A good sci-fi movie - or any movie - needs to make you feel something. To me, in Alien it is fear, or xenophobia, to be specific. In Avatar it is connection, which makes it a movie I would enjoy watching with my son, even if it's cliche as f***. In Gravity it is longing, which is exceptionally strong during the scene when ISS enters atmosphere. Hell, even Edge of Tomorrow, despite its plot is completely bullsh*t, the last scene made me smile. I felt so many things watching Interstellar, it made my brain hyperactive and dreamed so hard that night that I woke up exhausted. Same happened to my roommates.

Prometheus? Well it grossed me out a couple of times, rest was facepalming and "nope".

#12 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:37 PM

The sad thing about Interstellar? There goes the human race to another planet to screw it up too.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:56 AM

most of this post is in spoiler because it does contain details of the plot and scientific inaccuracies of Intersteller
Spoiler

#14 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:48 PM

I just wanted to pop in and say you can never take movies too seriously.

Also, this exists. Seriously.

Posted Image

Edited by StompingOnTanks, 17 November 2014 - 05:48 PM.

#15 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:28 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 17 November 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

Must see that movie now.

I think it's on YouTube actually...Yep. Here it is.

#16 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:54 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 17 November 2014 - 07:42 PM, said:

oh my gosh. 1 hour of time to waste tomorrow.

Lol, I've heard it's terribad. Let me know how it goes. ;)

#17 PYR0MANCER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:05 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 16 November 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

Really only James Cameron and Ridley Scott have come up with anything really original.

James Cameron stole Avatar from a book written in 1933 I believe, and he also stole Termimator... He is as far from original as you can get...

#18 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:40 PM

The thing about writing stories is that every story you can come up with has been told before by somebody at some point. There really is nothing original. What matters far more is how good you are at telling it, and making it seem different when it's not.

Edited by StompingOnTanks, 20 November 2014 - 05:41 PM.

#19 PYR0MANCER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 20 November 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

Give me the books. The Avatar story is more based on the oppression of the native Americans which has been adapted to more novels then I can count each year. While not original at least as a space sci-fi it hasn't been done. Whereas Gravity is trying to be original but is in reality a facepalm of stupidity ripoff of my High School Physics class. With less physics.

Star Wars was originally written by a man who was unable to publish it as a novel (originally he called it the Adventures of Luke Skywalker). Lucas then bought it made it a movie and said he made it all.

Star Wars was a rip off (but better) version of Star Trek.

Avatar is space Native American Oppression.

Interstellar is Space Odyssey (but makes more sense seriously no matter how many times I watch it I can't make any sense of the ending or what the point of the beginning is).

Give me something original Tyros cause there isn't anything. Warhammer 40k is a rip off of Alien and Dungeons and Dragons.

There is nothing original. I am talking about original for the past decade. Which there is NOTHING. We have remakes of everything and nothing worth watching. I wouldn't pay 15 dollars to watch anything but Hunger Games and Hobbit. Because other than the cartoon of Hobbit nothing has been done with those thus at least somewhat original.

No movie in the past decade has been worth an IMAX, 3D, or 18 dollars to see. Maybe 6 bucks at your local theater.

I agree with you that the level of originality has considerably decreased, and yes you are correct in saying that when it comes to telling tales it's pretty much impossible to be completely original. Humans have been telling tales since before we invented writing so any story you weave someone somewhere can reference another story from some time period.

As far as avatar goes the story from the book was changed slightly to reflect Camerons liberal views so he made it about a bunch of black actors playing blue indians (nothing against anyones heritage) but the story was basically the same, a corporation trying to exploit an alien planet and backed by the government. In the book the aliens were 'taurs' being part lion with human torsos, and they were blue, all he did was put them on two legs basically.

Lucas... Well, he should give proper credit and never, never, I mean never again try to write his own movies. The orginal Star Wars scripts were written by two different people, not Lucas, and they were so much better written than than ep. 1-3. But that's off-topic.

Gravity... Didn't want to see it, anything with those two people as the main actors is going to be something I don't want to watch.

Interstellar just looks like every disaster movie ever made rolled into one movie. I dislike disaster movies.

#20 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:39 PM

View PostSparks Murphey, on 16 November 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

Meet Christa McAuliffe.
Posted Image
Christa was one of the seven crew who died in the 1986 Challenger disaster. She was a teacher, not of science or maths or engineering, but social studies, history, law and economics. "Qualified" does not always mean being able to remix a spaceship Apollo 13-style. Space is for everybody...

**** is currently not for everybody, it requires a bit of phisiological conditions to be able to make it up there and back properly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users