506 replies to this topic

#1 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:32 PM

I read the dev post about looking at it over and over to make sure players do not get a negative C- Bill return from a game.

So generalize it a bit. Maybe you select either repair all or repair except weapons. Then at the end of a match the various things damaged have a "cost" that is a % of the payout. It can be a line in the total - repair and refit costs.

Lights might only add up to 35% of the pay out even in a worst case, all arms and legs blown off scenario. A lost worse case assault maybe upwards of 60%. Gives an incentive to drive cheaper mechs - less is at risk. Also ammo from LRM spamming mechs will reduce your payday over a set of handy lasers.

Beginners might be exempt for 20 matches. Faction loyalty awards could be covering some of your R&R costs so your pay outs go up.

Edited by SuomiWarder, 15 November 2014 - 10:34 PM.

#2 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:17 PM

And guys will just get premium and a hero mech for a nice 80% cbills bonus, or just flat out buy cbills, having a huge dump on the whole r&r system, running nothing but assaults and heavies with all upgrades, while free players gimp around in trash mechs to grind money.

Bringing back r&r sounds like an awesome idea. not.

#3 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:19 PM

No R&R ever in my opinion. Doesn't matter what you do, new players will feel like they are being cheated out of money. And people on losing streaks or people who just spent a **** ton buying 3 assaults and refitting them properly will be at risk of going completely broke and having to grind twice as hard just to scrap together tiny sums of c-bills.

#4 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:33 PM

If they add RnR back, the game's just gonna keel over and die.

#5 kf envy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 590 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:49 PM

R&R will destroy the amount of people willing to play let alone pay for stuff in the game. Its already bad with how much using CSS,arty,uav,cool shots. Kills you chill on a win let alone an loss when your out 2k or more because the team got rolled hard

#6 SuomiWarder

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:00 AM

I am seriously surprised that a bunch of people are so dead set against having the inner game of balancing cost vs risk. Maybe in community warfare only. As an old hand I would welcome having actual logistical costs involved in running our Merc unit. It was part of the fun - not a drag "that was going to kill the game."

#7 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:04 AM

The R&R ship has long since sailed on this game.

Adding it now would be a direct nerf to the only point to playing the game: earning cbills.

They could have kept it in if CW went something like:

House Faction Units: No R&R, but available mechs are limited according to House lore. No customization. (For new Players)

Merc Units: R&R covered by the Unit, more mechs available, some customization allowed. (average players)

Lone Wolf: Player is completely responsible for their R&R. Any mech is available if you can afford it. Full customization if you can afford it. (advanced players)

There needs to be some incentive to wanting to pay R&R or else it's just another cbill nerf.

#8 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:17 AM

R&R is why I don't play WoT ect.

If this gets R&R and we get even less Cbills per average match then I'm out.

#9 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:20 AM

View PostSuomiWarder, on 16 November 2014 - 12:00 AM, said:

I am seriously surprised that a bunch of people are so dead set against having the inner game of balancing cost vs risk. Maybe in community warfare only. As an old hand I would welcome having actual logistical costs involved in running our Merc unit. It was part of the fun - not a drag "that was going to kill the game."

There's never been RnR in a mechwarrior game. Singleplayer campaigns, yes. Sure.

And you'd never save scum to make sure you looted that daishi, am I right?

#10 Jeon Ji Yoon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:21 AM

Yeah, I don't want R&R

#11 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:22 AM

View PostSuomiWarder, on 15 November 2014 - 10:32 PM, said:

I read the dev post about looking at it over and over to make sure players do not get a negative C- Bill return from a game.

So generalize it a bit. Maybe you select either repair all or repair except weapons. Then at the end of a match the various things damaged have a "cost" that is a % of the payout. It can be a line in the total - repair and refit costs.

Lights might only add up to 35% of the pay out even in a worst case, all arms and legs blown off scenario. A lost worse case assault maybe upwards of 60%. Gives an incentive to drive cheaper mechs - less is at risk. Also ammo from LRM spamming mechs will reduce your payday over a set of handy lasers.

Beginners might be exempt for 20 matches. Faction loyalty awards could be covering some of your R&R costs so your pay outs go up.

ppl would just do what they did during R&R, not repair and jump back in.

#12 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:02 AM

I dunno.

But truth hurts in the pocket book most it seems?

I 'd be fine with it back either way (R n R I means...).

#13 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:09 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 15 November 2014 - 11:33 PM, said:

If they add RnR back, the game's just gonna keel over and die.

Lotta ppl seem to want that; hell they want no map selection and thatll help kill this game with a **** CW

#14 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:29 AM

I remember when we had R&R. People dropping in trial mechs and immediately disconnecting, people running off and hiding, people dropping in mechs with single heat sinks, standard engines and minimum ammo/weapons - all far more than we ever see today. Lets not mention, that R&R really added nothing to the game - since almost everyone used automatic 75% rearm (or whatever it was), and just paid for repairs.

What it really did was further divide the 'haves' and the 'have not's', back then you could run your 4 man group in the 8 v 8 match, reasonably assured that you faced 8 solo players on the other team and easily run off win streaks. In today's game, you'd run a 12 man in the group que and beat up upon smaller groups - driving them out of the game as they couldn't make enough to pay for repairs. Not seeing how that would enrich gameplay very much.

#15 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:40 AM

Make it simpler.

Armour and Internal are repair for free, so are ammo and engine.
You however need to replace any equipment that was destroyed by critical hit; weapon, ammo, ECM, BAP, AMS, SHS, DHS.
(Hard Mode - including equipment lost from component destruction)
At least you still have a full health mech. Trial mech are immortal.

They will no be auto replace and deduct from match earnings, you will have to go into mechlab to install a new one from your stockpile or buy from store.

Want to run that Gauss Rifle or AC/20? Be ready to spend the next 3 or 4 match saving up for a replacement, or install a cheap lower caliber ballistic.
Energy build will become more attractive to run due to lower maintenance cost.
More energy build in the game, longer TTK.

Bonus: any equipment lost during the match can be salvage by any player via the loot bag similar to the halloween event.
A player lost an AC20 in match, there is a chance anyone can pick it up. However It is delete from game if no one manage to open the loot bag containing it.
So no dropfarming unless they don't want the salvage.

PGI could even run equipment sales;
TODAY ONLY! 25% CBill discount on PPC!
Get a Free U/AC5 when you buy 2 U/AC5!
FREE 3 DHS whenever you buy a ER/Large Laser!
Tune up bonus, upgrade to Double Heat Sink this week and get 10 free DHS!

Faction benefit can come into play,
Example: Kurita member get purchase discount on PPC and LL, Davion for heavy AC, Liao for small AC and laser, etc.
Overtime each faction will develop a flavour ingame due to weapon load out of it's members.
When you see a Davion pilot, expect him to carry heavy ballistic on his mech.

#16 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:42 AM

View PostSuomiWarder, on 16 November 2014 - 12:00 AM, said:

That's what I came to post--keep it out of the PUG queue to shut up the whiners that want everything to be easy and claim everything is "P2W" but implement it in CW for the people who want more of a sim/challenge.

#17 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:26 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 16 November 2014 - 01:42 AM, said:

That's what I came to post--keep it out of the PUG queue to shut up the whiners that want everything to be easy and claim everything is "P2W" but implement it in CW for the people who want more of a sim/challenge.

A fun tax to punish people who lose drops isn't a sim mechanic. It's merely that; a fun tax to punish people who lose drops.

I don't understand how people can't wrap their heads around this simple fact.

Last time they tried their worthless RnR, it resulted in a classic tragedy of the commons scenario.

#18 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:46 AM

im fine with R&R being added as long as its not a tax

it should purely be a bonus for not getting damaged

and there should be no way to abuse it by dodging fights or afking.

#19 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:50 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 16 November 2014 - 12:20 AM, said:

There's never been RnR in a mechwarrior game. Singleplayer campaigns, yes. Sure.

And you'd never save scum to make sure you looted that daishi, am I right?

You have a founders tag. You should know better.

View Postxengk, on 16 November 2014 - 01:40 AM, said:

I like your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter ;)

I would actually go so far as to say that anything that the mech comes with from the factory gets repaired/replaced for free.

Edited by HlynkaCG, 16 November 2014 - 03:02 AM.

#20 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:56 AM

"R&R would destroy this game"

I think
War Thunder
World of Tanks
World of Planes
DDO
SWTOR (both of these games require you to repair equipment and some on this list can even cause loss of money in the higher tiers)

didn't get that memo.

SO I'm just curious, why is it that an R&R system would kill THIS game, but those others are doing just fine? (I could probably find you more examples if you really want them but I figured WT and WoT are good since they're very successful games and do quite well with R&R systems)

Why is MWO different? Why would an R&R system kill this game specifically when it's a proven fact that R&R systems do NOT kill other games?

View PostVassago Rain, on 16 November 2014 - 02:26 AM, said:

A fun tax to punish people who lose drops isn't a sim mechanic. It's merely that; a fun tax to punish people who lose drops.

I don't understand how people can't wrap their heads around this simple fact.

Last time they tried their worthless RnR, it resulted in a classic tragedy of the commons scenario.

maybe you can answer my question then?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users