- - - - -

Choosing A First Mech(Help For New Players)

30 replies to this topic

#1 zeta44

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:33 PM

New players recive the cadet bonus, which is very helpful for buying their first mech. To make sure you don't end up buying a mech you won't like I made this guideline to help. Just add a reply using the guideline given then I will find a mech that's matches your request then PM you the mech (choose one from each category, or a balance between multiple types ex, energy and ballistic, or missle)

Weapon type
Energy
Pros: infinite usage, requires no ammo-no weight used carrying bullets
Cons: overheats fast
Ballistic
Pros: not much heat production, damage
Cons: requires stocking ammo, using up weight
Missle
Pros: long range
Cons: requires locking on otherwise missles likely will miss

Mech purpose
Scouting
Mobility/armour
High armour
Lots of weapons

Price range (prices in c-bills)
1m-3m
3m-6m
6m-9m
9m+

Add-ons
Jump jets
ECM
Ams
Tag(for missles)

Edited by zeta44, 16 November 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#2 Mister E Gamer

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:02 AM

I am really new at this game and the Battletech/Mechwarrior universe. My friend gave me a bunch of the novels in epub and I am currently on the third book in order. (Verthandi and Grey Death Legion) I never knew how deep it went.

I was just wondering how I can decide which mech to use since there are relatively few trial mechs and there are SO many you can purchase but have no way to try them out before you buy them. It is a little overwhelming.

#3 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:26 AM

View PostMister E Gamer, on 18 November 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

I am really new at this game and the Battletech/Mechwarrior universe. My friend gave me a bunch of the novels in epub and I am currently on the third book in order. (Verthandi and Grey Death Legion) I never knew how deep it went.

I was just wondering how I can decide which mech to use since there are relatively few trial mechs and there are SO many you can purchase but have no way to try them out before you buy them. It is a little overwhelming.

Step one: Play the trial mechs and figure out which ones you enjoy piloting. That will give you (and us) an idea of your prefered weapons and play style, while giving you some CBills to spend on a first mech.

Step two: Give some thought to what "side" you want to play for, IS vs Clan and to lesser extent which faction you want to be associated within a given side. Different mechs are favored by different factions.

Step Three: Once you've finished your cadet period (and collected all the filthy lucre) start shopping around, by this point you should have an idea of what you want to play and can thus start evaluating the different mechs on the basis of how well they scratch that itch.

Feel free to post here or poke me in in chat if you have further questions. Welcome to the party ;)

Edited by HlynkaCG, 18 November 2014 - 09:46 AM.

#4 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:41 AM

Here are a few things to think about.

What is your playstyle? Do you like to hang back and take aimed shots or do you like to get your hands dirty up close?

Do you prefer more armor or more speed?

Do you like a big punch (i.e. greater shutdown potential & greater single output damage potential) or greater heat efficiency (i.e. less shutdown potential & less single output damage potential)?

Which trial mechs did you enjoy the most and why do you think you enjoyed them?

Which weapons and weapon types did you enjoy the most and why?

#5 Mister E Gamer

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:59 AM

I need to play more matches with more of the basic mechs before I can even begin to answer any of those questions.

#6 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:47 AM

View PostMister E Gamer, on 18 November 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

I need to play more matches with more of the basic mechs before I can even begin to answer any of those questions.

That's fair, test the waters and figure out what you like.

#7 Javenri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:16 PM

My suggestion is to start by getting a medium or heavy mech (something around 50-65 tons) that gets a speed around 70 kph. You see, the first thing you need to deal with is movement. An average speed will help you adapt better. Weaponry should mostly be lasers that are easy to hit with (no nead leading your shots). Embrace the learning curve and you can move to more difficult mech and weapon combinations.

#8 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:43 PM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 18 November 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

Step one: Play the trial mechs and figure out which ones you enjoy piloting. That will give you (and us) an idea of your prefered weapons and play style, while giving you some CBills to spend on a first mech.

Step two: Give some thought to what "side" you want to play for, IS vs Clan and to lesser extent which faction you want to be associated within a given side. Different mechs are favored by different factions.

Step Three: Once you've finished your cadet period (and collected all the filthy lucre) start shopping around, by this point you should have an idea of what you want to play and can thus start evaluating the different mechs on the basis of how well they scratch that itch.

Feel free to post here or poke me in in chat if you have further questions. Welcome to the party ;)

In all regards, i would recommend a different strategy.

1. Play around with trail mechs, learn how to ride them, learn the game. learn to lurk.
2. Find at least one trail-'mech you perform above average.
3. Make a new Account (that will be your mainaccount)
4. Pick a Day you can do 25 Matches
5. Go to the mwomercs landing pad (https://mwomercs.com/signup)
6. Take your free 24 hours premium time (once registered you have to click on the middle window at the bottom of the page).
7. Perform well in your choosen trail-'mech. cadetbonus, championbonus and premium time do stack.
8. Profit. this is the difference between the average player, who's taken the earning of his very first 25 matches, (which the average newbie probably f.. up) to buy his first medium-'mech. And those player who payed smart an have enough c-bills to buy 2-3 fully outkitted light to medium mechs (or even a single timber/dire wolf if they performed well).

A few words of advices:

- xp earned from trail-mechs will count for the same chassi. might as well take that into account.
- Clan'mechs are already outkitted and so not need further modifications (in terms of upgrades/engine, not loadout)
- If you want to participate in the community warfare (which you probably will do) might as well focus the side you want to fight for (means IS or Clan)
- Some IS 'mechs seem pretty expensive but will save you a bunch of C-bills, considering the already implemented upgrades and (sometimes) dirtcheap build in engines.
- get the modul "radar depreviation" asap, i mean it, asap!

regardless of what you want to do in mwo, i would highly recommend you buy a timberwolf, it is regarded as the mest 'mech available right now. It's fast, tanky, stupidly maneuverable and can outgun almost all IS 'mechs. you can not go wrong with this mech.

That said, welcome to MWO, hope you'll have a blast, see you on the battlefield. o7 gl&hf!

#9 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:57 PM

View PostLOADED, on 18 November 2014 - 12:43 PM, said:

7. Perform well in your choosen trail-'mech. cadetbonus, championbonus and premium time do stack.

VERY BAD INFORMATION HERE!

Cadet bonus is an achievement award now, and therefore only awards a SET amount depending on how deep into your 25 matches you are. Since these C-Bills are not awarded as part of an end of match reward, they are NOT AFFECTED by either premium time or Hero bonuses.

#10 Mister E Gamer

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:25 PM

I did NOT see anything about getting premium time after I signed up. Well that's a kick in the crotch. :blink:

#11 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:14 PM

I'd say just play through the various trial Mechs and pay attention to what weapon systems and tonnages you seem to like. For me, I like and am best at fast Mechs with lots of lasers so Lights and Mediums are my strength.

I'd say there's a few variations of Mech:
Speed (with lasers, Lights and Mediums)
Indirect Fire (long range missiles, all tonnages)
Direct Fire (ballistics like Gauss Rifles, AC/2, AC/5, PPCs, Large Lasers, ERLarge Lasers, Medium through Assault)
Brawlers (AC/10, AC/20, short range missiles, Medium through Assault)

Then they come in Clan or Innersphere versions. Basically the difference is Clans to more damage and are more efficient over time (IE you have to hold your laser beam on the enemy longer to deliver all the damage) but IS can do higher damage in bursts (IE deliver damage then take cover).

Hope that helps some!

Check out http://mwo.smurfy-net.de

Edited by TygerLily, 18 November 2014 - 08:59 PM.

#12 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:32 PM

View PostMister E Gamer, on 18 November 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

I did NOT see anything about getting premium time after I signed up. Well that's a kick in the crotch. :blink:

Yep. That would be the style of the game. There are so many things that you could kick yourself for and there's no documentation or tutorial to guide you through. As an example, the game doesn't explain that some XL engines weigh the same. You have to do a little reading and then realize that the XL 275 weighs the same as the XL 280 that you didn't buy, but could have fit in your 'mech and been that much better....

Some events can only be participated in by opting in at the forum - instead of the actual game.

Some chassis have unlisted quirks. for example the Cataphract can accelerate into reverse nearly as fast as it goes forward.

The list of unlisted things that we've all learned in the school of hard knocks goes on and on. PLEASE, hop on the forum here and ask us before you jump into anything. We like to help and I can promise that we'll figure out the best option for your big stompy robot experience.

The learning curve is steep enough. Get some advice from the wolves before you go out alone.

#13 Mister E Gamer

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:47 PM

Got one kill each with trial Hunchback and Centurion. The Hunchback is my favorite so far I had 353 damage and 6 assists. I tried the Atlas and could not figure out how to even work the gauss rifle. I told my team sorry because I REALLY sucked. Sorry zeta44 I will stop posting on here after this one just updating my progress through the trials so far and do not know why.

Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by Mister E Gamer, 18 November 2014 - 07:56 PM.

#14 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

View PostMister E Gamer, on 18 November 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

Go to download --> click teh blue button --> cancel download and redeem 2 hr bonus. :) (Do redeem when you have spare 2 hours with you).

Edit: Loaded's stuff is good but somewhat outdated info, be aware as some might not apply.

Edited by luxebo, 18 November 2014 - 08:46 PM.

#15 Mister E Gamer

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:59 PM

I am thinking about getting the Hunchback 4SP. I liked the Hunchbacks looks and the medium lasers. I liked the srms from the Centurion. The 4SP has both. I have tried most of the other trial mechs but the Hunchback is my favorite. Clan mechs just love to overheat dont they?

#16 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:48 PM

View PostMister E Gamer, on 18 November 2014 - 08:59 PM, said:

I am thinking about getting the Hunchback 4SP. I liked the Hunchbacks looks and the medium lasers. I liked the srms from the Centurion. The 4SP has both. I have tried most of the other trial mechs but the Hunchback is my favorite. Clan mechs just love to overheat dont they?

Yes they do ;)

Clan mechs generally have more weapons with longer ranges but they pay for that in terms of Heat Generation.

Personally I love my Hunchbacks. The 4SP is an excellent "Jack of all trades" and a solid choice overall. My only recommendation would to be to save up enough of your Cadet bonus that you can afford to upgrade the Heatsinks and engine as soon as you buy it. The Trial Hunchback is a "Champion" variant that comes with Advanced Heatsinks and a larger Engine than the basic HBKs.

Beyond that allow me to congradulate you on having excellent taste. The 4SP is one of the first mechs that I bought back when I joined this game in 2012 and it is still one of my favorites.

Edited by HlynkaCG, 18 November 2014 - 10:05 PM.

#17 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:51 PM

double post

Edited by HlynkaCG, 18 November 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#18 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:30 PM

HBK-4SP loses it's huge torso, which I'm not sure removes it's quality of armor in each torso (someone got to check quirks for you.) 4P is very powerful, same as 4G when played well enough.

I would like to say that Clan mechs can run cool when outfitted to run cool, but their loadouts are basically stock fresh (which a lot of them are well done already). If you buy a clan mech you might not feel so hot as the stocks.

Cent is sorta meh, but once they release AH, then buy that as that provides a strong viability of what to outfit (AC20 is strong). Cent A and D are strong too but need so much cash. AL is energy, so hot as well.

#19 Diablo Intercepter

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:39 PM

If you do get the 4SP here are a few suggestions
-as Hlynka said upgrading to double heatsinks from the standard one is a must.
-the hunchbacks aren't xl friendly, you might have noticed people trying to destroy your right torso a lot and if you lose a side torso with an xl you're dead. In most hunchback builds the RT is where the most damaging weapon is. The SP is a little different splits the SRMs between the 2 side torsos, so losing one side torso doesn't mean you lose almost all your firepower. Using a standard engine is HIGHLY recommended, a 250 should do well.
-There are 2 ways to save weight when building your mech, Endo steel structure and Ferro-Fibrous armor. They both take up 14 slots in your mech, endo steel saves more weight and FF armor doesn't protect you any more than standard armor (unless you add more armor, which FF armor will let you do because it weighs less).
-If you do pick a mech with SRMs (or LRMs) buying the Artemis upgrade will make your missiles more accurate. Artemis decreases the spread of the missiles, so on a mech that relies on any sort of missile Artemis is advised.

Smurfy (http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab) is a place to plan your builds, it's quite helpful.

#20 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:39 PM

Hunchbacks are great mechs, good for when you are just starting out and get better later on as you upgrade them. My personal favorite is the HBK-4H with a Gauss and 4x Medium Lasers, great for long to mid range fights with the Gauss and can defend its self with the Medium Lasers when things get close. And as you get better with using the Gauss, then the mech really begins to shine at all rangers.

Word of advice for you new guys on how to use the Gauss. It acts like a bow in that you have to hold down the left mouse button for a short time, around .70 sec, with something like a 1.3 sec window to fire the weapon before it deactivates.
This mechanic was put in for balance reasons because the Gauss was far to strong originally, not to mention its more realistic to how real experimental cannon sized electromagnetic weapons function.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users