18 replies to this topic

#1 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:18 PM

I've noticed a lot of players running around with their crosshairs bouncing all over the place and they are unable to keep steady aim. Lasers just graze briefly over targets and they take forever to get a stable lock on anything. This is mostly due to mouse sensitivity. The higher you set it the harder it is to have a steady hand for aiming.

I'll go ahead and assume that most people will be more comfortable with a sensitivity of 0.2-0.3 (based on the 0.1 - 1.0 slider in MWO).

If you're new or if you have problems keeping that laser beam on your target, go ahead and try adjusting your mouse sensitivity. This helps greatly for long range shots and firing while moving.

You cannot really do a 180noscope in MWO so having high sensitivity is pretty pointless for most people. I think it would be better for new players if the game's mouse sensitivity was set lower by default after installation.

Here is how to adjust it for new players:

Step 1:

Go to settings and click it. It's located in the lower right corner of your home screen.

Posted Image

Step 2:

Go to the Sensitivity slider. Drag it all the way back to the left.

Posted Image

Step 3:

Click Save. Go into training grounds and try to run and shoot while aiming at the targets. Adjust sensitivity until you have something that you are comfortable with.

Edited by Elizander, 17 November 2014 - 06:47 PM.

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:24 PM

You should be able to write your initials on a mech with your lasers, not yank them all over the place.

#3 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:05 PM

Very interesting. Currently fooling about with the freebie Centurion but have changed my settings; will report back once I try something a bit more laser-y...

#4 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Guys Are So Bad I'm Moving To The Moon

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:16 PM

Also adjust your mouse sensitivity in windows control panel to the middle notch for a 1:1 ratio and then adjust 3rd party mouse sensitivity if your mouse has a program for it like Razer and Logitech. Then adjust your ingame sensitivity to what's comfortable and smooth for you. General rule is moving the mouse from left to right on your pad should hit left and right edges of screen(s) or give you at least 180 degrees of movement left and right in game.

Typically I use this method combined with 500 polling and 400 sensitivity on my Naga 2014 and I find even in advanced zoom the aim is smooth and less floaty. This is more shooter preference as far as settings go.

Disable smoothing and acceleration as well. This will cause you to overcorrect more then help you aim faster.

#5 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:42 PM

Sure, I have acceleration etc disabled (Deathadder LH) but I'd just never thought to adjust the in-game sensitivity.

It hasn't miraculously made me SuperAno or anything, but there's definitely less laser lightshow and a bit more people going into reverse, so I'm glad to have read this. Particularly as I've just returned to my Stormcrows (I abandoned them for a bit when the medium queue was insane) and as I'm liking the all laser all the time approach -- good timing!

#6 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:34 PM

View PostAno, on 17 November 2014 - 09:42 PM, said:

Sure, I have acceleration etc disabled (Deathadder LH) but I'd just never thought to adjust the in-game sensitivity.

It hasn't miraculously made me SuperAno or anything, but there's definitely less laser lightshow and a bit more people going into reverse, so I'm glad to have read this. Particularly as I've just returned to my Stormcrows (I abandoned them for a bit when the medium queue was insane) and as I'm liking the all laser all the time approach -- good timing!

I've been playing FPS for a long time and I noticed a lot of people don't bother changing their mouse sensitivity. When spectating players I just see laserspray all over the place or very wobbly crosshairs so I decided to make this post. Most people will need lower sensitivity to do better in this game which is why PGI should set the default lower to 0.2-0.5 at most. 1.0 is just too high for most people and a lot of new players won't edit settings and it can make or break their MWO experience.

I'm glad it helped you though. Tell your friends too so they can better enjoy the game with less missed shots. :lol:

#7 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:39 PM

I'm not a PC games geek and dont really play anything other than this and Warthunder but adjusting the mouse was the first thing I did when I started. I hate chasing the pointer over the screen on my laptop and work PC and slow them down too.

#8 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:12 AM

Well, I did look into this.

1 - The slider is tough to set at 0.2-0.3 or any specific number because you are never told what number you set it too, you have to guess.

2 - I tried what I figured was close to that but it was too slow. I believe I am now at 0.4 that is more comfortable.

3 - I really wish people would not give advice in game on things like this and thank the OP for doing it here.

#9 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:21 AM

An example of how well it works... Headshot no.42 and 43 last night on a Jager and a Dwolf. Got the head on a highlander to red internals then got jumped by 5 of his or her mates. DENIED!

#10 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Guys Are So Bad I'm Moving To The Moon

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:22 AM

View PostMerchant, on 18 November 2014 - 07:12 AM, said:

Well, I did look into this.

1 - The slider is tough to set at 0.2-0.3 or any specific number because you are never told what number you set it too, you have to guess.

2 - I tried what I figured was close to that but it was too slow. I believe I am now at 0.4 that is more comfortable.

3 - I really wish people would not give advice in game on things like this and thank the OP for doing it here.

cl_sensitivity=0.#

is the user.cfg setting if you're having trouble with the slider. Just replace the # with what you want. Also here's the rest of the mouse specific ones:

i_mouse_smooth=0
i_mouse_accel=0
i_mouse_accel_max=0

#11 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 17 November 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

You should be able to write your initials on a mech with your lasers, not yank them all over the place.

I can do that with the sensitivity maxed using a fairly decent gaming mouse. It takes some getting used to but aiming using nothing but your fingertips and without ever moving your hand is both faster and more accurate than the alternative.

#12 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:48 PM

I get too excited and twitchy for that.

#13 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:26 AM

View PostKeira RAVEN McKenna, on 18 November 2014 - 11:48 PM, said:

Yeah if you're twitchy it's a bad idea, it's also not a good idea if you're particularly sensitive to the effects of caffeine or other stimulants and just had some.
Fortunately I don't have that problem, I drink so much coffee that if you cut me open I'd probably bleed the stuff.

#14 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:39 AM

View PostKeira RAVEN McKenna, on 18 November 2014 - 11:48 PM, said:

I still see a lot of players in game who are struggling with their crosshairs. A lot of these guys just cannot aim properly while turning or moving because the slightest motion sends their crosshairs zooming to the other end. I also see a lot of waggling left and right as they try to get their crosshairs centered on a target. It's particularly bad for some light mech pilots but I still see a lot of slow heavy pilots that are unable to keep more than 20% of their laser duration on a target. :o

#15 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:56 AM

This is the first thing I did when I started playing MWO. But its good that someone thought to educate people on this.

Many Thanks!
~Sand

#16 fub4r

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:12 AM

I've just changed mine down from the default to .3. I have much more control now.

#17 Venom Turtle

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:30 AM

What DPI are folks using?

#18 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:13 AM

I like 1000-2600 for the game, but that depends on your base sensitivity. Mine is quite low, so I can finetune the DPI steps, thus being 1000 is very slow and precise movement for me (sniping only), next profile is 1800 thats good for most medium to long range aiming on the go, and 2400-2600 if I want faster movement for torso twisting (this is the normal range where I can torso twist at max speed). It's not bad to have a mouse with profile switcher on it, lowering dpi for long range really helps.

But I still need 3000 or more for the menus. Anything lower is too slow for windows/menus, so that might give an impression of what "optimal" dpi is for me.

Edited by NeoCodex, 24 September 2015 - 09:14 AM.

#19 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

View PostVenom Turtle, on 24 September 2015 - 08:30 AM, said:

What DPI are folks using?

I live around 1200. But...that's with game at minimum. That's a big thing: your gaming mouse's software is much better at this than the game, so set game to minimum and adjust via that software for best results.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users