17 replies to this topic

#1 James DeGriz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 374 posts
  • LocationRainham, Kent UK

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:18 AM

The HGNs are easily my favourite chassis, but the one variant I can't get my head around is the 733P. At the moment I'm running 2LL, 2ML 3SRM6+A Std 325 + JJ. It works for me... sorta.. and of course using the 2LLs in the RA captilises quite well on the quirks.

My question is, has anyone found any decent 2xPPC builds that work?

#2 James DeGriz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:40 PM

Yup.. same trouble as me then.. or no one gives a smeg about Highlanders anymore.

Anyhoo.. the PPC idea didn't really work out. What I've come up with instead is the "WubLander". 3LPL, 2 SRM6+A 1 SRM4+A JJ, AMS and XL310.

HGN-733P

Yup.. I know.. XL is baaad m'kaay, especially in a torso the size of a barn. Thing is, this build has the torso packed out with heatsinks and other crit slots, so shouldn't be too bad. I've also never had any problems with the XL in my Heavy Metal, and with that 70 odd point alpha, it's gotta be worth a go.

#3 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:45 PM

I don't think you know how XLs work in this game - you can't have your XL, or any engine, destroyed by critical hits. Crits to engines currently don't do anything, in fact. Instead, an Inner Sphere XL will destroy your 'mech when a side torso is destroyed, as well as when you lose your CT - in both instances, the cause of death will list, "engine destroyed," which causes some confusion.

My higlander has been repurposed into a rack to hold my Atlas' coat and hat on rainy days - maybe when they fix their jump jets up a bit more they'll be fun to play, but right now I find my Atlas/Battlemaster builds outperform my Highlander.

#4 James DeGriz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 374 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:44 AM

Helpful post. Thanks :/

All of my Highlanders eat Atlases for breakfast. Two, one after the other on Caustic last night.

Nothing wrong with jump jets or in air manoeuvrability either in my experience.

You're probably right about my understanding of XLs though to be fair. The way I understood it was that other than just losing a side torso, weapons that have a chance to crit will have that chance applied to destroy any equipment or weapons in the area that they hit. The more equipment you have in an area, therefore the lower the chance any one of those items will be destroyed.

This means that if your XL slot in either of your side torsos gets destroyed by a crit shot, it'll destroy the whole engine and therefore will kill you. In my experience death usually comes from being cored, not from engine death, but an XL engine obviously increases the chance of death from both causes.

#5 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:52 AM

You're right about crit spreading - but aside from the increased damage from criticals, which happens even if a location has no crit slots to hit, there's no implication about the destruction of your 'mech from crits for having an XL. Currently, critical hits that land on engines of any kind do nothing - even Clan XLs only apply their penalties when the entire side torso is destroyed. You can take all three hits to your ST engine slots with an XL, and the only thing that happens is that the engine absorbed hits that could otherwise have hit equipment that was destructible.

Bear in mind that, particularly with the release of the AS7-S, there are a lot of bad Atlas drivers out there. Atlases require a certain amount of judgement and restraint to play well, particularly on Caustic, where their low weapon mounts can make them vulnerable if the team insists on hiding. =)

#6 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:19 PM

well my highlander 733p is very effective its one of thoughs builds that runs hot but cools fast so it evens out
here it is 2 ppcs and all
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7599d25fcb3b3e8

fare warning this build does have a weak point witch is that under 80 meaters it has some trouble but it does ok over that
it could be upgraded but i was short cash when i built it

ok heres a revamped version if you have the cbills
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...55a1361fdbf0cf6

Edited by kosmos1214, 23 November 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#7 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:58 PM

Highlanders are ok with XLs, but really, they're assaults. It's best to drop a couple of heat sinks, add Endo-Steel and give 'em a 300 standard. Also, JJs. Highlanders without JJs just don't feel right. Well, given that we don't really have JJ, more like Hop Jets, it's wrong anyway, but still, the more JJs the better.

If I were building a HGN-733P, I'd go with the Quirks. In this case that's Large Lasers. This build is just as Heat Efficient as Kosmos' PPC build (actually better since the LLs have less heat gen from the quirks) is faster (standard 300), has full JJs and actually has a reasonable amount of ammo for it's SRMs. If you pair of the LLs between arms and torsos you should even be able to avoid Ghost Heat.

The choice between 6s & 4As for SRMs is a personal one. I typically go for the 4s as the group is tighter and it uses a ton less ammo, which in this case is used to put some armour back on the legs and head. I'd also have two groups for the SRMs, one for chain fire, one for linked fire for when you need to blow a hole clean through the CT of an enemy mech.

For modules go with Radar Deprivation to help with missiles since no AMS (and really 1 AMS just isn't worth the tonnage...you really need 2 to see a difference) and Seismic Sensor. Weapons, probably go with LL for both. You could go for SRM range, but it's probably better to keep the enemy at range given how slow the Highlanders are these days and use the SRMs in close.

#8 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:21 PM

"Jump Jets?" You must be referring to the Hill Exploration Climbing Lift Kit -Experimenta (HECKLE for short.) I think it's still mislabeled as "jump jets" in the Mechlab, but I'm sure they'll fix the bug once they get around to documenting the change in the patch notes. ;)

AMS, though - everyone needs AMS. Unless you absolutely canot fit that system on your build (I have two builds in my entire collection that can't) you need to put it on - because while one AMS doesn't do much, a team's worth of AMS does a lot.

#9 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:47 PM

Yes, JJs are a crying shame the way they are now. I dream of a day when they actually deserve that name.

As for AMS...sometimes it works, sometimes not. I carry Radar Deprivation and that's about as useful as a single AMS system is, if not better. Even with some slow ass assaults I can drop back, turn, break LoS and watch as a swarm of missiles streaks 10 meters away from my cockpit.

Other times half the enemy team is LRM boats and unless your team is nothing but Triple AMS, ECM equipped Kit Foxes there isn't enough AMS' available to do anything about it.

Back to the OP though, yeah, forgot the PPCs. Grab some LL and SRMs and go wreck some faces.

#10 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

yah radar derp is all fine and good but it costs a boat load all the ams ammo and every thing is cheaper the radar derp
now im not hateing on rader derp but i jest cant see the cost not till im out of stuff that i want to buy any way and i want a lot of mechs

#11 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:56 PM

I haven't used Highlander much outside of the Trial 'Mech Versions but I built one through smurfy that you could try if you wanted. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5423291c274812d

Here's one that utilizes Large Lasers along with the PPC x2 as requested. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0a1229eb1d7ba1d

View PostJames DeGriz, on 18 November 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

The HGNs are easily my favourite chassis, but the one variant I can't get my head around is the 733P. At the moment I'm running 2LL, 2ML 3SRM6+A Std 325 + JJ. It works for me... sorta.. and of course using the 2LLs in the RA captilises quite well on the quirks.

My question is, has anyone found any decent 2xPPC builds that work?

#12 etarm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:08 AM

Just started playing the Highlander this past weekend. Currently running a 733C with a config similar to your 733P: AC20, 3xSRM-6, 2 MPL, Std 300 + 2 JJ. I chose the HGN as my first Assault mech, because it seemed like a good mix of hardpoints on a higher tonnage chassis than the Awesome. My only complaint so far is that most hits go to the CT because it is so large, which probably means I just need to learn to twist more when taking damage.

#13 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:46 AM

here is my humble suggestion

HGN-733P, http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bdca89e568b6ae1

#14 BUDFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:50 PM

I run XL's in Highlanders.

#15 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

View PostBUDFORCE, on 04 February 2015 - 11:50 PM, said:

I run XL's in Highlanders.

how does it work out?
i tend to be a walking stick when i die so im wondering arnnt you loseing like 1/2 your survivabilety?

#16 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,377 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:30 PM

Highlanders are one of my favorite chassis as well.

For me the 733P is an energy mech, I use 4x Large Laser, and it wrecks face.

Here is the build.

#17 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:52 PM

View Postkosmos1214, on 07 February 2015 - 02:09 PM, said:

how does it work out?
i tend to be a walking stick when i die so im wondering arnnt you loseing like 1/2 your survivabilety?

It works fine in 733P if you want to use it as a LRM-boat,otherwise there is no need for XL
I found out that 4 LPL worked the best in P,atleast for me,im too impatient to wait good spotting or hang back.

#18 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:18 PM

View PostCookiemonter669, on 07 February 2015 - 02:52 PM, said:

It works fine in 733P if you want to use it as a LRM-boat,otherwise there is no need for XL
I found out that 4 LPL worked the best in P,atleast for me,im too impatient to wait good spotting or hang back.

hmm interesting i run mine as a mid range brawler you can see my build higher up never thought of trying a highlander as a lrm boat

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users