Fansite Blog

144 replies to this topic

#1 GMan129

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:25 AM

Hey guys, so for those of you who aren't familiar with MetaMechs.com, it's a site I run with articles, guides, blog posts, and most importantly - Tier Lists! Originally, I wanted to give it a competitive orientation, but it's since expanded to something useful to all facets of the playerbase. You can read more about it on the About page.

Anyways, I'm going to use this thread as a way to post updates to the site, be it new or improved guides, updates tier lists, or broader site changes. This way, I won't clutter up the joint with a new thread every time, and hopefully more people check it out (that's the whole point of writing all this stuff after all!)

Other ways you can get these updates are by subscribing by email (putting your email into that field in the right sidebar), following my twitter, or just keep your eye open on /r/outreachhpg where I will be posting weekly "digests" detailing what I've done in the last week.

I do a lot on this site every week.

I hope you check it out and enjoy your time there.

For the first update, I just did a massive overhaul on the popular Competitive Mech Buying Guide, which I highly recommend if you're interested in getting into competitive play, or just buying the latest and greatest mechs to serve the gods of the Meta.

Edited by GMan129, 18 November 2014 - 09:27 AM.

#2 Kitty Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 320 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUtah

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:31 AM

If I can score 4 kills and 600 damage in my Locust vs Timberwolves, Dire Whales, Stormtroopers and pretty much any other 'Meta' mech out there then turn around and get 7 kills in a Battlemaster that has no ballistics at all, does that mean they are competitive mechs? Or...

Is it more reliant on the pilot than the mech?

#3 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:35 AM

View PostKitty Bacon, on 18 November 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

If I can score 4 kills and 600 damage in my Locust vs Timberwolves, Dire Whales, Stormtroopers and pretty much any other 'Meta' mech out there then turn around and get 7 kills in a Battlemaster that has no ballistics at all, does that mean they are competitive mechs? Or...

Is it more reliant on the pilot than the mech?

A 2200 Elo pilot in a Locust will destroy a 900 Elo pilot in a Timberwolf.

A 2200 Elo pilot in a Locust will get destroyed by a 2200 pilot in a Timberwolf.

The pilot matters a lot, but when all things are equal, the meta level of the mech matters.

#4 Kitty Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 320 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUtah

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:43 AM

View PostHeffay, on 18 November 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

A 2200 Elo pilot in a Locust will destroy a 900 Elo pilot in a Timberwolf.

A 2200 Elo pilot in a Locust will get destroyed by a 2200 pilot in a Timberwolf.

The pilot matters a lot, but when all things are equal, the meta level of the mech matters.

Yes, I know that quite well, but in my Elo I normally go against the high ranking teams. You can tell when you see a low elo pilot, but even high elo pilots get ate. Sure I can't fight a Fire Starter in my Locust, but I am not supposed to. The 'Meta' level of the mech is not as important as the skill of the pilot. Sure there are plenty of builds that outshine others, but not for everyone. I can't get the 2 LPL 4 Mlas Timber to work very well for me because it does not fit my playstyle. But in the 7 MPL Tbolt? I destroy in it xD Don't think I am disagreeing with you about pilot skill though. Just saying the meta mech for people varies heavily and should be something they discover themselves rather than piloting what they are told is good.

Comp builds work when the team is working well together. C4 (My unit) Runs an LRM heavy comp team with 2 Narcing Ravens and usually we end the night in the positives for kills. I don't think anyone actually runs a competitive meta build though. Just have fun, run LRMs, watch people get narc'd and die lol

Edited by Kitty Bacon, 18 November 2014 - 09:45 AM.

#5 GMan129

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:35 PM

Kitty, I can understand you're not interested in competitive stuff then, but other people are. And this is just one guide on a website that has tons of other guides for people that are more interested in just playin around, such as the Master Guide series which is designed to help you master a mech quickly and painlessly, or the mech building guides (which I'm updating next). Sorry that the article didn't interest you though, or maybe it's just the website's name that's throwing you off.

-G

#6 LordLosh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 409 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:00 PM

I would recommend this website or any advice gman129 is giving. I visit quite frequent to stay on top of changing tendency's and build orders etc. I don't always agree with all the builds but it gets you a perfect building block to tweak any mech you are thinking about to bring it to the next level
Thanks for the builds, information and support Gman!

#7 DaniBot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:24 PM

WHAT.. TEH... FAK.....

http://metamechs.com/cute-corner/

P.S.: Great site, good compilation of all the "good information" without all the emotional (noob-)stuff like: "But diz iz my favorite mek and diz iz beszt setup for orl metsches. and LRMs 'n stuffz..."
Only raw mech stats, u know what i mean....

#8 GMan129

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:53 PM

aaaand i made a video. first in a series analyzing patches for how the game will change as a result. this wasnt a great one to start on, as this patch was pretty teeny tiny, but you'll get the idea.

http://metamechs.com...down-episode-1/

#9 DaniBot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:40 AM

bumpedy bump bump, bumpedy bump bump....

Good job, this is how much more of the players should look at different mechs / builds (imo) to make the game more interesting and wipe out all the thoughts about LRMs in new mechs....

#10 GMan129

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:41 AM

New Update to Competitive, IS, and Clan tier lists, with videos too!

Competitive: http://metamechs.com...ists/comp-list/
IS: http://metamechs.com...-lists/is-list/
Clan: http://metamechs.com...ists/clan-list/

#11 GMan129

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:00 AM

Quickdraw Master Guide Published

http://metamechs.com...ides/quickdraw/

#12 Fubbit

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:27 AM

I'm just a pugger dogface so it's interesting to me to get a competitive assessment of the mechs and builds.

Had no idea this site existed. Really good stuff!

#13 GMan129

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:10 AM

Warhawk Master Guide released! Check it out if you're leveling the newest C-Bill release, or are just looking for good builds

http://metamechs.com...guides/warhawk/

#14 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:40 AM

added this to my favorite even though i'm not much concerned with competitive play :)

one question- i see the BJ-1 way down in tier 5 for the IS solo play. i could have sworn it was generally considered the best of the blackjacks for quite a while- did quirks really knock it down the rankings that badly?

#15 GMan129

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:41 AM

the bj-1 was considered the best of the blackjacks, but power creep has been putting it down, particularly the release of the arrow which i viewed as almost a strictly superior mech. post quirks...idk it didnt get much love and it was already just bleh before.

and to anyone viewing this i say...HAPPY THANKSGIVING! i for one am thankful for all of you <3

Edited by GMan129, 27 November 2014 - 08:42 AM.

#16 GMan129

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:48 AM

ok guys im sorry i just gotta ask, why is there suddenly this much traffic in this thread? im happy about it of course but the update thread has never been viewed quite this much and im just surprised about the sudden influx from here...

#17 Santanico Pandamonium

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFt. Hood TX

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

It's a great site Gman!

Keep up the good work, I know it takes a lot to keep stuff updated and fresh.
People are always asking, "What mech should I kit out next?" Your list is definitive and vetted.

TM!

#18 Thor Grimm

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:05 AM

View PostGMan129, on 27 November 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

ok guys im sorry i just gotta ask, why is there suddenly this much traffic in this thread? im happy about it of course but the update thread has never been viewed quite this much and im just surprised about the sudden influx from here...

I saw a post on facebook from the MWO page, that is what got me to look. Outstanding site and added to my favorites.

#19 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:25 AM

On what autority are these Tier Lists built? I sure hope it's not just you but considering the active forum threads on your site I guess not. Which circle of players is involved in creating that lists and on what data are they based?

#20 GargoyleVine

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 80 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPismo Coast

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

thats cool you put the war wolf (loup) in tier 2 short range, but why 4's instead of 6's on the srm's?, you get an extra 20 ticks of fire-power with 6's

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users