75 replies to this topic

#61 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:57 AM

Gotta say, new map is great, FPS on it is surprisingly great, even in the fog(whatever you did there, please do it to Frozen City!), and so far, overall, great patch.

You can tell that you guys put a lot of work into Bog, and it shows. It will be very interesting to see how strategies and tactics develop as players learn the map.

Also, both new heroes look really cool, and I'll be picking up at least one of them very soon to show my appreciation for a great patch and fantastic new map.

#62 Danger_Noodle

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:43 AM

Thank you PGI for bringing me another Locust to get killed in. I love it.

#63 Average Pilot

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:05 AM

View PostMawai, on 18 November 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

This has been a comment since closed beta.

I believe the main concern is proper terrain destruction synchronization between 24 clients and whether adding this feature to maps is worth the development effort given the limited team size and the other higher priority items on their list. I also believe that PGI has said it is on their list of things to look at.

(By synchronization I am referring to the destruction of obstructing terrain on one client clearing a line of sight to a target while that terrain is still present on the target's client ... thus the target thinks they are hit from fire that has come through a solid piece of terrain .... any other terrain destruction that does not obstruct fire or block line of sight or movement is essentially just cosmetic. Similarly, imagine coordinating the destruction of a bridge currently supporting several mechs ... with lag the update time between all clients can be 500ms to 1s ... if the bridge is destroyed on one client ... when do all the mechs fall?)

Mawai... Thanks for the insight. I haven't been around long enough to appreciate the "open beta" time frame, but I wondered what technological challenges having interactive terrain elements would pose (also not being a tech guru). It makes sense that environmental effects would be more easily dealt with since those just exist on the map all the time for all players. I'll be crossing my fingers that the developers can at some point at least extend some kind of mech-induced map interactivity into the game. To me, that would really be a giant leap forward in terms of realism of the combat environment, and I say this as a person who used to get paid to spend a lot of time around armored vehicles and big bullets. :-)

#64 Average Pilot

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:14 AM

One other comment so as to balance my earlier query about interactive map elements (which may have been perceived as a complaint)... I read a lot of gripes about the maps both in forums and during in-game chats, but honestly, I think you've created an exceptional product here, and the maps are, to me, impressive works of art. Now yes, perhaps there are issues with bugs here and there, and maybe one person doesn't like that there aren't enough hiding spots in one map versus another, but taken as a whole, I think they are fantastic. As an old school P&P BT gamer from the early FASA days, I always wanted to be able to experience what it was like to actually be in a mech, and I think this game delivers a solid simulation of that. The fact that this game allows that experience in real time with 23 other pilots in simulated armored vehicle combat makes it even more exciting. So... Keep up the good work and keep the additions and improvements coming... and if you happen to figure out how to let me stomp a tree or blow a hole in a building whilst in-game, so much the better.

#65 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCrash landed on Weingarten III

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:36 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 19 November 2014 - 02:57 AM, said:

wow, the invasions upper tight armor parts on the lynx look really great.
The map is also nice except that strange over 1000m worm. That things is truly some overkill feature.
But I wonder if that map doesn't have a kind of desing flaw.

what will a team do, when there are JJ ecm lights wih radar derp, like the lynx and spider 5D or kit fox are going up to one of the ponds? they seem to be pretty untouchble for other mechs up there, and retreat and hopping on the next pond with ecm isn't realyl hard.

You've got IS mediums and Summoners for that :)

#66 UnseenFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 961 posts
  • LocationСтрана Мечты (Strana Mechty)

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:59 PM

Finally a good map. There were good maps before, but they all felt like small CoD arenas with no variety of gameplay.

But this Viridian Bog is frickin' AWESOME! Thanks PGI.

#67 Bullseye69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:39 PM

In closed beta we did have knockdowns and collisions in the closed beta but we never did have destroyable terrain ecept for a couple of specific trees and lamp post in a couple of maps.
The reason back then was trying to code the game for as wide a range of computers as possible especially low end machines. The cry egine that are using is CPU dependent not gpu though you really need the strongerst cpu you can get as far as raw horse power not so many core but pure ghz speed but a quad is needed then the fastest gpu you can afford after that. I came from a dual core with hd 7770 to a quad when they went open beta after a couple of months my performance went down when it became open beta. I upgraded to a r9 270X which is twice the horsepower and my crashes and texture issue went away but really no more than 3 to 5 frames better. So i do appreciate that there trying to do for low end machines. I finally went to a new intel processor and my frame rate no longer the problem but with lower end machine and the way that crysis engine doe make use of the extra cores of more than quad the game can't be pushed but so far and i fear that we will never have destroyable enviroments but that ok but I do want terrain that does hang us up and invisible walls that stop shots. I have not had the pleasure of the new map yet except training ground so I will with hold a performance critiqu till i get a couple of drops in.

#68 Jakob Knight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:06 PM

View PostEdanomel, on 18 November 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

[/b]

Just a slight quibble on the canon here:
Grayson's Shadow Hawk was never owned by Durant Carlyle. It belonged to another pilot of Carlyle's Commandos before it was sabotaged and subsequently captured by units loyal to Kurita during a covert Op on Twellwan. Durant Carlyle piloted a Phoenix Hawk, which is as we all know one of the 'unseen' 'mechs. The Phoenix Hawk was destroyed during the opening strike of the aforementioned covert op resulting in the death of Grayson's father. Grayson later recaptured the Shadowhawk while escaping from the Kuritan forces. Grayson later passed his Shadowhawk to Lori Kalmar, his XO (and much later, his wife) following the destruction of her locust while aiding the the rebelion on Verthandi. By that point Grayson had captured a MAD-3R Marauder (another unseen 'mech) which was to be his signature 'mech for much of his career.
Also, Grayson's Shadowhawk was a 2H model, and had none of the modifications listed for this Hero 'mech.

I realise I'm being picky but the least you could do is brush up on the canon before you release a Hero 'mech supposedly based on a particular character. Yes Grayson piloted a Shadowhawk. No, it never had the specs that you have attributed to it in your Hero 'mech.

That's it for me, rant over.

Quite correct about the background.

However, it is useful to note that we are in 3049-3050 timeframe in-game, and I believe both of the Graysons had moved onto other 'mechs by the time of the Clan invasion. It is quite reasonable to assume these models were custom redesigns planned by the GDL technicians by working with the data from the Helm core, but that they were never actually put into production due to the loss of the original units. Not to say those designs wouldn't have been produced by commercial mech producers with the notation 'GDL Variant' as a courtesy and tribute to the contributions of the mercenaries (and no doubt with some royalties from the sales going back to the Unit).

Ultimately, the mechs are what they are, and probably as explainable as all of the hyper-optimized SL Tech mechs that swarm the battlefields in MWO instead of the 3025 refits and limited newtech revisions that were actually what faced the Clans in the Invasion.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 19 November 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#69 UnseenFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 961 posts
  • LocationСтрана Мечты (Strana Mechty)

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:05 PM

View PostEdanomel, on 18 November 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

Just a slight quibble on the canon here:
Grayson's Shadow Hawk was never owned by Durant Carlyle.

LMAO, PGI always messes something up.

Gray Death Legion series of books are one of my favorites.

Edited by Paran01ac, 19 November 2014 - 11:05 PM.

#70 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:16 PM

Oh how the Pirates Bane is a fun little fker on the battlefield! Ive not played lights seriously in a long time and im having so much fun in the PB. You can still easily get 1shotted but i think its part of the fun, how tempting it is to stop behind a fat assault who seem alone LOL take the chance and bet your life gents, i know i do lol. I forgot how going deep in the trench right in the middle of the opposition and fkshitup is fun, to be that little fker everyone wants dead, lunch a uav or an arty and then BITE SOME ANKLES FFS!! I hated my LCT with a passion, that was before the quirks, now they certainly are playable for the commoners like me! (as long as you stay out of the tryhard elo i guess)

But damnit does the mg's have to completely blind me when i fire unless i use Thermal? How does that even make sense anyway? Please lower the blinding effect of the mg!!! And when you use a larger fov the cockpit central bar is a liability since it is a bit higher than center and always gets in the way, i have to use first zoom but you can't dogfight zoomed in(nothing can be done about this alas).

I also found the glass effect to be kinda overdone in this mech, isnt it the same as every other mech? It just seems like the cockpit is utterly scratchd into oblivion and its very green, like the side of the glass on my other mech but it's all over in my PB.

Edited by DAYLEET, 20 November 2014 - 05:14 PM.

#71 Ayrmoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 541 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:09 PM

First let me say to this:

"The social icon will no longer flash when a group/unit member joins/leaves."

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :D

But I have a question about this:

"A number of bug fixes have also made it in; one of these includes a reset to weapon groups. Please check out the notes below for more details on these as well as the new 'Mechs!"

Sounds great! A reset to weapon groups! But below it only says, "Weapon groups should no longer be shared between 'Mechs."

Did I miss something here? I was looking for a way to save each weapon set-up and a button somewhere to "RESET" it. I'm not seeing or understanding how this is suppose to work.

Was it put into the game with this patch? Or was it left out and the patch notes are wrong?

Thanks for the help,
Ayrmoon ;)

#72 Ulfgar Snorrison

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 62 posts
  • LocationStanding stoically at the longship's prow.

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:03 PM

Well, drats! The new map looks okay but I'm put off by the backstory which, in effect, has us fighting to corner the black market on a superdrug. My problem is I'm an oldtime roleplayer from way, way back. Now ol' Ulfgar ain't no saint, but he does have a code. He won't fight for no slavers, drug lords, Canadains named Russ, or them what abuse children. I've stated elsewhere I wouldn't be playing this map, Ulfgar would never take the job; but in MWO we can't control where we play on these public matches. It's unlikely we ever will. One can take roleplaying only so far on this game so in fairness to the teams Ulfgar drops with, I'll suck it up and play. But that old graybearded mechwarrior there in the cockpit, you can rest assured he'll have a tear falling from the corner of his eye. See ya out on the battlefields and thanks for your time.

#73 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:18 PM

View PostUlfgar Snorrison, on 20 November 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

Well, drats! The new map looks okay but I'm put off by the backstory which, in effect, has us fighting to corner the black market on a superdrug. My problem is I'm an oldtime roleplayer from way, way back. Now ol' Ulfgar ain't no saint, but he does have a code. He won't fight for no slavers, drug lords, Canadains named Russ, or them what abuse children. I've stated elsewhere I wouldn't be playing this map, Ulfgar would never take the job; but in MWO we can't control where we play on these public matches. It's unlikely we ever will. One can take roleplaying only so far on this game so in fairness to the teams Ulfgar drops with, I'll suck it up and play. But that old graybearded mechwarrior there in the cockpit, you can rest assured he'll have a tear falling from the corner of his eye. See ya out on the battlefields and thanks for your time.

The drug is distributed to that faction you hate and the money you get is used to feed homeless kids.

#74 G SE7EN7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 579 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGaledon District

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:18 PM

Glad they got those Maddog prints sorted out, I thought they were making no improvements.

#75 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:59 AM

Does this still need to be pinned?

#76 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer