10 replies to this topic

#1 Atlai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:46 AM

I've been trying to get back into the TT Battletech after several (like, ten) years and just had a few questions regarding the few variants available. I used to play with a group a decade ago but I never had my own figures or hex-grid.

I was looking at the Classic Battletech box set on Amazon (the one with the Atlas on the front, since I've heard that's the best box set) and was pretty set on getting that. However before I bought it I did a little more research and I found this new game type called Alpha Strike. It's a lot simpler and quick, plus it doesn't use the hex grid for movement. The games only last 45 minutes to an hour+ as opposed to a billion years like classic BT.

I'm also trying to get some friends who have never played BT into it since we all like board games and they also like robots, so basically my question is which would be a better choice for newcomers to BT and is Alpha Strike even any good to begin with?

TL:DR Is Alpha Strike even gud or shouldz stick to Classik BT?

#2 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:04 PM

Its different. Goes faster, but much less "depth" then Battletech.

Battletech is about moves and counter moves, positioning, and where good strategic play will usually win you the day.

Alpha strike is much more of what modern TT wargames like 40k and warmachine are.

Its built from the ground up for miniature play, Its much faster then BT. But not as much depth. Unlike battletech where "smart play" can usually beat out most situations no matter what you bring, Alpha strike has much more of the "rock paper scissors" feel to it that other TT wargames do since everything was streamlined down, and as a result, its much more about rock paper scissors army building over smart play.

Oh, and its not the simplest game to pick up. Mostly because the game is still being fleshed out. Many holes in the rules where my friends and I where left scratching our heads because things are not the best explained.

I personally prefer Battletech because its much deeper and feels much more satisfying when you beat your opponents, where Alpha strike can feel much more like you both need to counter rock with paper, and hope the dice gods are on your side because of the way everything is streamlined.

#3 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

View PostMason West, on 28 February 2016 - 11:46 AM, said:

TL:DR Is Alpha Strike even gud or shouldz stick to Classik BT?

Alpha Strike was designed specifically to cater WH40K players.

Personally I prefer classic BattleTech for its depth.

#4 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:29 PM

Ok so it seems my few worries with it are confirmed. I was afraid it would rely too much on a rock paper scissors feel which honestly isn't bad its just a little simple compared to what I'm used to with BT.

I honestly just liked the look of it because I really wanted to set up a giant table in my backyard with a handmade battlefield since without the hex-girds you have a lot more options for terrain, I guess I could always just manufacture some 3D terrain with hexes.

And yeah I am not a huge 40K fan so ehhh...

Thank you for your replies guys, I think I'm going to go with the Classic Box set and just see what I can do with making my own terrain.

#5 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

View PostMason West, on 28 February 2016 - 01:29 PM, said:

I honestly just liked the look of it because I really wanted to set up a giant table in my backyard with a handmade battlefield since without the hex-girds you have a lot more options for terrain, I guess I could always just manufacture some 3D terrain with hexes.

You could use BattleTech rules for miniatures, so you can play BattleTech on hex-less terain.

#6 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:51 PM

View Postmartian, on 28 February 2016 - 01:41 PM, said:

You could use BattleTech rules for miniatures, so you can play BattleTech on hex-less terain.

I was actually wondering about that, would you know if I could get the rules for that on Catalyst's website or would it actually be included in the box set?

#7 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:54 PM

View PostMason West, on 28 February 2016 - 01:51 PM, said:

I was actually wondering about that, would you know if I could get the rules for that on Catalyst's website or would it actually be included in the box set?

They are not in the Box Set, but they used to be on the CGL website.

#8 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:02 PM

View Postmartian, on 28 February 2016 - 01:54 PM, said:

They are not in the Box Set, but they used to be on the CGL website.

I think I just found them actually, a quick check through their 'new to battletech' links provided plenty of info for running various modes. Thanks :D

#9 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:08 PM

View PostMason West, on 28 February 2016 - 02:02 PM, said:

I think I just found them actually, a quick check through their 'new to battletech' links provided plenty of info for running various modes. Thanks Posted Image

You are welcome.

#10 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:17 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the summary on Alpha Strike.

I was using non-hexbase terrain for the battletech minis. Its pretty straight forward and ports pretty well. There was a sample rule conversion in the original compendium. (Blue hard cover with a MadCat on it)

Essentially 2" = 1 MP

View Postmartian, on 28 February 2016 - 01:41 PM, said:

#11 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:18 PM

View Postrolly, on 28 February 2016 - 02:17 PM, said:

Hey guys, thanks for the summary on Alpha Strike.

I was using non-hexbase terrain for the battletech minis. Its pretty straight forward and ports pretty well. There was a sample rule conversion in the original compendium. (Blue hard cover with a MadCat on it)

Essentially 2" = 1 MP

Just make sure to have turning also cost movement. This is one of my big grievances with Alpha Strike. The spinning like a top mechs, no matter their weight or how much of their movement they used. While in regular BattleTech a speedy mech may truly outflank a slower mech, just as satisfying as in MWO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users