25 replies to this topic

#21 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:43 AM

Depend on playstyle..

- For a brawler is XL = Dead..

- For a 3th line LRM-Boat, is the major thing infinite Ammo ...

I moslty try very hard to avoid every direct enemy-fire/contact.. so XL is fine for me.. But, if I run into a Red... 2 shot... and I can enjoy the Spectacle View..

Edited by Sky Hawk, 19 November 2014 - 09:44 AM.

#22 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:40 PM

Lots of good replies. All I would add is that this post helps illustrate why some chassis are considered XL-friendly. If you look at the Catapult you will see the side torsos are tiny, and thus less vulnerable.

#23 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:41 PM

I think what matters most is that you have enough speed to keep up with the group and not get left behind. 48kph mechs don't do too well in this area.

#24 Lucky Noob

• The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:55 AM

Having decent Speed as well means faster Torso twist, and that safes Lifes, as well as an Missle Boat you sometimes have that feeling for an Place change because the Angry Mob of Enemy Assaults try to close in :), having an nice Speed helps there too.

#25 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:25 AM

View PostStingray1234, on 20 November 2014 - 10:41 PM, said:

I think what matters most is that you have enough speed to keep up with the group and not get left behind. 48kph mechs don't do too well in this area.

Amen to this. Cataphract 4X for example...I do not have enough to upgrade the STD engine and getting left behind in a pug at 48 kph = light mech meat. It is a slower mech, even with max engine...

#26 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:51 AM

I usually take an engine about 6 sizes down from maximum. I build around that. There are some exceptions, like Blackjacks and Hunchbacks that have low engine caps where I may take a max engine, but most of my builds are usually 6-8 sizes from maximum. I didn't do it intentionally, but it just worked out that way.

Speed = Life as other have said. It just depends on what your preferred playstyle is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users