Strange Noise From Inside My Pc When I`m On Game`s Menus

15 replies to this topic

#1 Maaxxx

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:39 AM

Hey!

Not exactly a "problem" but I find it weird that this only happends with this game, and only when I`m on menus (like mechlab, shop, or the main menu itself) and not on actual gameplay or even the login screen.

It sounds like there is a grasshoper inside my case (like a never ending cliiiick sound) which immediately stops when I log out or start playing. I think it may be coming from my video card but not completely sure (GTX 650ti).

It has been happenning since the first time I played the game months ago.
As I said, it only happends with this game. Not a problem, but I`m curious about what could it be. :P

Edited by Maaxxx, 19 November 2014 - 01:56 AM.

#2 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:49 AM

MWO loads the video card fairly heavily. I had a similar problem around the middle of this year with my GTX 550Ti. I mostly ignored it, putting down to a quirk with the game. A few months later, it had crept into happening with other graphically intensive games, then those same games (MWO in particular) would start hanging the computer. Then, Windows itself became too intense for the card, and it gave up the ghost all together. So, now I've got a GTX 650Ti... and a close ear on the noises my graphics card makes.

Edited by Sparks Murphey, 19 November 2014 - 04:50 AM.

#3 Dont Brawl With This Atlas

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:07 AM

i use the computer a lot my graphic card makes so much noise that i had to put the pc cpu on another room and the screen on the other room. Because of the prolonged fan vibration exposure my ears ring for certain amount of time

#4 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:58 AM

Hey Maaxxx,

Clicking noises can be an ominous sign. More often than not those usually come from the hard drive.
If possible I would be interested to know what kind of temperature and usage percentages you get with your CPU and GPU. Would you be able to run Resource Monitor along with MWO, or use something like MSI AfterBurner to monitor your system?

#5 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:46 PM

I'm thinkin' he has coil whine …

#6 Maaxxx

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:31 AM

View PostAlexander Garden, on 20 November 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

Hey Maaxxx,
Clicking noises can be an ominous sign. More often than not those usually come from the hard drive.
If possible I would be interested to know what kind of temperature and usage percentages you get with your CPU and GPU. Would you be able to run Resource Monitor along with MWO, or use something like MSI AfterBurner to monitor your system?

I actually use Real Temp, here is a screenshot, I just took it (on testing grounds) :

Posted Image

It`s very cold today but normally it`s about 10°-15° hotter both GPU and Processor.
I can try it again today at night with a different monitoring software and playing online.

View PostGoose, on 20 November 2014 - 06:46 PM, said:

I'm thinkin' he has coil whine …

Maybe, I have to plug my headphones at the back of my PC because I hear like a stactic noise at the front port.

BTW I just heard the noise while playing but it`s lower than the menu`s one, still, only while playing MWO.

Edited by Maaxxx, 21 November 2014 - 04:33 AM.

#7 Maaxxx

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:59 AM

Posted Image

New screenshot

#8 Iceolator

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:35 PM

Sounds like these are normal. It may not be exactly the same as in video, it differs greatly in different GPUs but it's always a high frequency sound. My old NVIDIA GTX285 gpu started to whine in 2d modes in Direct3D applications like menus or game intros in some games. You should record this sound.

Sometime strange sounds from GPU just happen, often in pretty mysterious circumstances :). Some cards do that, some don't - sometimes even if it's the same model from one manufacturer. Just make sure there are no physical objects in GPU cooler/turbine, and no foreign objects are touching your GPU.

You can also try stress test software like FurMark or OCCT - if the sound appears there too, it's probably just a "very heavy gpu load" sound.

P.S I definitely remember hearing loud coil whine in Crysis menu - and MWO uses the same (or basically the same) engine.

Edited by Myaff, 22 November 2014 - 03:46 PM.

#9 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:31 PM

My graphics card used to make scary high pitched whining sounds when at menu's in Minecraft, and I discovered it was linked to the frame limit cap.

Without a cap your GPU might just go and decide "you know what? Let's render this menu at 2000fps because I can". Setting a FPS cap in your graphics software might help you out here.

If it's a high pitched whining sound it could be GPU. If it's a fairly loud "ticking" sound then back up your files and check your HDD ASAP

#10 Maaxxx

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:13 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 25 November 2014 - 08:31 PM, said:

My graphics card used to make scary high pitched whining sounds when at menu's in Minecraft, and I discovered it was linked to the frame limit cap.

Without a cap your GPU might just go and decide "you know what? Let's render this menu at 2000fps because I can". Setting a FPS cap in your graphics software might help you out here.

If it's a high pitched whining sound it could be GPU. If it's a fairly loud "ticking" sound then back up your files and check your HDD ASAP

I got 60 fps in the game`s menu.
And I can only hear this noise with this game since I play it (April of this year I think)

#11 SoggyGorilla

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

yep that's exactly what it is, its coil whine. good call. here are some youtube vids, it does sound like a chirping cricket on the 650 ti.

(sounds like cricket)

#12 Maaxxx

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:39 PM

View PostSoggyGorilla, on 26 November 2014 - 10:18 PM, said:

yep that's exactly what it is, its coil whine. good call. here are some youtube vids, it does sound like a chirping cricket on the 650 ti.

Yes, It`s a coil whine aparrently :P

Edited by Maaxxx, 29 November 2014 - 03:39 PM.

#13 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:17 AM

Well, good call on the coil whine. Don't be surprised if this is just the start of a slow deterioration until the card blows. Happened to me, took about 6 months from start to finish.

#14 Maaxxx

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:44 PM

View PostHammerhai, on 30 November 2014 - 07:17 AM, said:

Well, good call on the coil whine. Don't be surprised if this is just the start of a slow deterioration until the card blows. Happened to me, took about 6 months from start to finish.

So what should I do?

#15 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:13 PM

Not much you can do really. Save up. I lessened the coil whine by wrapping the audio cable in aluminium foil, making sure not to touch metal to metal.

#16 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:38 PM

Somewhere on the planet is a story about addressing coil whine with a glob of glue.

Don't know what kind of glue, I suspect "they" figured out which coil it was by touching them(!) each, in turn, with a wooden stick, while the system was hot.

Mostly, you should tough it out …

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users