#1 Maelstroem

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 47 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:56 AM

Hi there! Got a couple of questions...

What modules are worth getting first? Or what is essential for piloting a heavy mech?
Does Mastering a Mech means i just get a free Module Slot?
Should i run with BAP or AMS or this other sensor enhancer dont know the name. Is it worth it?
Overall would you recommend me to master a mech first with all its special to be competitive at least in PUG games?

#2 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:48 AM

Mastering a mech will make it noticeably better but in pug land it is not essential.

As for BAP, yes if you are running a streak or LRM mech

AMS, yes possibly if you run a slower mech. This one is difficult to generalise really and depends on how you play. It is never a bad idea to bring one if you can spare the tonnage.

Yes, mastering means you get another module slot.

I would save money and buy mech and equipment instead of modules. I don't know how long ago it was you played but the metagame has changed markedly since closed beta or even since the summer. Get the modules when you know you need them. The only exception would be to buy one radar deprivation module early on and move between the mechs.

#3 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:57 AM

Pretty much what the guy above me said, but there's no reason to hold off on a few modules. Radar Deprivation and Seismic Sensor are both still awesome, and always worth using. I'd buy one of each of 'em if you can afford the GXP/C-bills.

#4 Maelstroem

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 47 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:22 AM

Thats great thx for info. Will buy a radar deprivation module asap and focus on eliteing my Cataphracts.

#5 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

Mastering a mech just gives an extra module slot. If you're starting out (again) you won't have for lots of modules, so you can wait a while, but in the long run you'll want that Master unlock.

It's best to at LEAST complete all four elite skills on a mech to bring it to the most effective state (not counting modules)

BAP, AMS, or Command Console are not required for all builds (ad the IS command Console is kinda junky) but as a less-experienced player an AMS will help keep you a bit safer from missiles until you have a Radar Dep and learn to use cover from LRMs. BAP is also helpful for any mech with SSRMs or direct fire builds that benefit from the much faster targetting info and anti-ecm effect.

#6 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:10 PM

On any LRM or SSRM loadout, I try to carry BAP and the Target Info Gathering module. The module is expensive at 4 mil C-bills but worth it to me. And it stacks with the BAP to speed up lock time exponentially. If I have room, I'll even carry them on non Missile loadouts. I like knowing where my enemy's weak points are.

Short answer to your question about "Mastering" a mech is, Yes, you get an extra module slot. With any mech purchase, my goal is to ultimately "Master" the chassis. If I get through the "Elite" skills, I'll sometimes take a break and pilot something else. But I always try to come back to it to unlock that extra module slot. Some mechs will allow up to 3 slots, so you can run a lot of targeting enhancement modules.

Jody

#7 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 19 November 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

On any LRM or SSRM loadout, I try to carry BAP and the Target Info Gathering module. The module is expensive at 4 mil C-bills but worth it to me. And it stacks with the BAP to speed up lock time exponentially. If I have room, I'll even carry them on non Missile loadouts. I like knowing where my enemy's weak points are.

Short answer to your question about "Mastering" a mech is, Yes, you get an extra module slot. With any mech purchase, my goal is to ultimately "Master" the chassis. If I get through the "Elite" skills, I'll sometimes take a break and pilot something else. But I always try to come back to it to unlock that extra module slot. Some mechs will allow up to 3 slots, so you can run a lot of targeting enhancement modules.

Jody

Target Info Gathering DOES NOT speed up lock time. This is a very common misconception. Along the same lines, Targeting Computers DO NOT speed up lock time, either.

All TIG does is give you the readout of an enemy's weapons and damage-state (paper doll) faster. It's virtually useless on 'Mechs that use lock-on weapons as their primary weapon systems, because (to reiterate) it doesn't speed up your locks, and you can't aim locked-missiles at specific components. It's designed for Brawlers, Scouts, and (to a lesser extent) Snipers, so that they can quickly target damaged components, and know what they're up against loadout-wise.

The only pieces of equipment that enable you to achieve lock faster are Artemis, TAG, and NARC. (Maybe also BAP - I'm not sure about that one, but I don't think it does).

Edited by DEMAX51, 19 November 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#8 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:37 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 19 November 2014 - 01:22 PM, said:

Target Info Gathering DOES NOT speed up lock time. This is a very common misconception. Along the same lines, Targeting Computer DO NOT speed up lock time, either.

All it does is give you the readout of an enemy's weapons and damage-state (paper doll) faster. It's absolutely useless on 'Mechs that use lock-on weapons as their primary weapon systems, because (to reiterate) it doesn't speed up your locks, and you can't aim locked-missiles at specific components. It's designed for Brawlers, Scouts, and (to a lesser extent) Snipers, so that they can quickly target damaged components, and know what they're up against loadout-wise.

The only pieces of equipment that enable you to achieve lock faster are Artemis, TAG, and NARC. (Maybe also BAP - I'm not sure about that one, but I don't think it does).

Yeah I was also going to ask what the reason for the Target Info Gathering module is for. Maybe he just likes to see that info fast!

My standard for LRM mechs is:
- BAP (Kills ECM if you're within the 180m->360m sweet spot)
- Target Decay (a must or obvious reasons)
- Adv Sensor Range

#9 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:41 PM

View Postxeromynd, on 19 November 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

Yeah I was also going to ask what the reason for the Target Info Gathering module is for. Maybe he just likes to see that info fast!

My standard for LRM mechs is:
- BAP (Kills ECM if you're within the 180m->360m sweet spot)
- Target Decay (a must or obvious reasons)
- Adv Sensor Range

Yeah, that's pretty much how I roll when I (rarely) use LRMs. Most of the time I'll ditch the Sensor Range mod, though, since the BAP already increases your sensors up to 1000 meters (and shooting beyond that, even if your LRMs can, is generally a waste of missiles because they take so long to get there) and use a Radar Dep instead.

#10 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:48 PM

BAP does not increase lock speed, only targeting range and target info gathering. The ECM counter effect is nice for lots of reasons, but especially for mechs with LRM/SSRMs.

You probably know this but since it hasn't been said explicitly, while Mastery gives an extra slot (and so isn't a must-have), getting all the Elite skills doubles the effectiveness of the Basic tier skills and is extremely useful.

#11 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:55 PM

Target Info Gathering DOES NOT speed up lock time. This is a very common misconception. Along the same lines, Targeting Computers DO NOT speed up lock time, either.

All TIG does is give you the readout of an enemy's weapons and damage-state (paper doll) faster. It's virtually useless on 'Mechs that use lock-on weapons as their primary weapon systems, because (to reiterate) it doesn't speed up your locks, and you can't aim locked-missiles at specific components. It's designed for Brawlers, Scouts, and (to a lesser extent) Snipers, so that they can quickly target damaged components, and know what they're up against loadout-wise.

Thank you, I stand corrected. Maybe this is why I like it so much. I do run brawling loadouts mostly. :D

#12 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:00 PM

View PostGauvan, on 19 November 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

getting all the Elite skills doubles the effectiveness of the Basic tier skills and is extremely useful.

Very much this. :mellow:

Makes every mech feel much much much stronger.

#13 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:39 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 19 November 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

Yeah, that's pretty much how I roll when I (rarely) use LRMs. Most of the time I'll ditch the Sensor Range mod, though, since the BAP already increases your sensors up to 1000 meters (and shooting beyond that, even if your LRMs can, is generally a waste of missiles because they take so long to get there) and use a Radar Dep instead.

You know, I totally forgot about the fact that BAP boosts the range up to 1000. I never fire LRMs over that anyway, so thanks to you I can my Adv Range modules for some hard $$$$$$$$$$$$

Edited by xeromynd, 19 November 2014 - 02:40 PM.

#14 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:41 PM

[EDIT]WELCOME BACK, MECHWARRIOR![/edit]

Some modules are best to just get one copy of and then remove/add them as you use your 'Mechs. I have one Seismic Sensor Module and it gets passed around between my 'mechs all the time. It's cheaper that way. As for Artillery/UAV since they're rather cheap I just equip them to all my 'mechs.

I guess you're asking what "modules" are essential for heavy 'mechs.. Seismic is good to have so you can get a good idea of what's behind the cover you're about to come out from to lower the "surprise" of running into an ambush. As for the other modules, it's mostly up to the player as everyone has their own preference as to what they bring into the field and what is useful to them and them alone which will benefit them and/or their team in battle.

View PostMaelstroem, on 19 November 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

Hi there! Got a couple of questions...

What modules are worth getting first? Or what is essential for piloting a heavy mech?

Yes, Mastering your 'mech variant guarantees you an extra universal module slot for that Mastered 'mech variant.

Does Mastering a Mech means i just get a free Module Slot?

I usually run with BAP if I have the available slot/tonnage and medium/long range weapons. AMS comes second if I still have available slot/tonnage to use with my build. For the most part I go in without either. As for the "other sensor enhancer" I'm guessing you're talking about the sensor range module. If you want to go with that, go for it. It doesn't weigh anything but you won't be able to detect shutdown 'mechs like the BAP allows you to.

Should i run with BAP or AMS or this other sensor enhancer dont know the name. Is it worth it?

Choosing a 'mech that you enjoy participating in battle with and Mastering it would be beneficial and a bonus to your gameplay as they lessen the burden of and improve the 'mechs passive abilities. It's entirely up to you though as there isn't really a solid guideline of how to approach 'mech builds other than "If you don't unlock masteries for your 'mechs your efforts won't get much easier." But you can still be competitive without unlocking anything. Still nice to have though as that's what they're there for.

Overall would you recommend me to master a mech first with all its special to be competitive at least in PUG games?

Edited by RazorbeastFXK3, 19 November 2014 - 03:42 PM.

#15 Maelstroem

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 47 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:19 AM

great thx guys.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users