- - - - -

Debating On Next Mech Purchase

15 replies to this topic

#1 slapindeface

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:29 AM

I'm a relatively new player to mwo(just started playing about two months ago) and I am a little perplexed as to which mech I want to buy next. Currently I own a firestarter and I have been looking into getting a assault or a heavy. Any tips or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:36 AM

Well, I don't know how you play your Firestarter, but personally I play mine around 97 kph to 108 kph with a good amount of firepower.

And transitioning that to the heavy and assault classes, that means speed, firepower and a reasonable ability to tank some shots.

For that, we have anything between 70 to 90 tons except the Awesome (lack of speed and tankiness).

I personally enjoy (assault) Victors, Highlanders, Stalkers, Battlemasters as well as (Heavy) Orions, Cataphracts.

Or for the Clan side, Timberwolf. Can't beat the combination of speed and firepower and tankiness. Just don't let anything get behind you, and be weary of shots to your screen. Seriously any shots going right at your screen are going for your cockpit, and it registers as pretty damn big. The three best ways to kill a TBR (Timberwolf) is head, leg, back in that order for ease.

#3 slapindeface

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:46 AM

I actually play my firestarter the exact same way you described it, 97kph with a good amount of firepower. A stalker is on free rotation right now so I'm going to try it out in a few matches and come back here.

#4 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:58 AM

If you own one Firestarter, you realize you need 2 more to fully elite the chassis? It's not mandatory, but a fully elited mech is a thing of beauty.

Just something you may want to consider if you find a chassis you really like, buy 3 variants.

Jody

#5 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:04 AM

On the assault side I would recommend the Stalker. It’s very durable, reasonably fast, and has good options for short and long range builds. It’s also a fairly easy assault to pilot out of the gate, without having all the efficiencies unlocked. On the Clan side, you have two choices right now. The Warhawk I haven’t been that impressed with--it seems to do best boating LRMs but that’s not a fun play style for me. The Dire Wolf is insanely expensive and steers like a cow but does direct fire better than most any other mech.

As for heavies, the Timber Wolf is a good mech. The Jagermech and Cataphract are both strong mechs, though they both tend to be strict direct-fire builds.

Luckily for new players, PGI has really expanded the number of trial mechs available and made them available in a fully outfitted version. If you haven’t done so already I’d spend a week or so in the trials and see what you enjoy. We are going into sale season and holding off a week or two might save you some C-Bills.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:15 AM

To mention it, the Stalker trial is by far the worst Stalker you can possibly use (they tank better than Atlases but only with standard engines).

Though for an idea on how well they can tank... Two matches. The second match is even better than the first.

Or this one (the Misery Stalker hero-mech)

Skip to 7 minutes.
Another for the front-line fun.
Of course LRMs weren't so popular back then; the 5S model has twin AMS though for that added defense against the LRMapocalypse.

#7 slapindeface

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:18 AM

Holy Jesus the trial Stalker is fun. I am having a blast play it and I am seriously considering getting it.
Also, I know I need two more to elite my Firestarter but I am just getting a little bored of it and I want to try something on the somewhat opposite spectrum of a light.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:27 AM

Surprisingly positive response considering how easily killed the trial version is. (Most don't like the trial stalker because gauss + ER PPC to the ST = death because yay XL.)

Though honestly I did pretty well in it too but I've been at this for years and have played all the Stalkers before using that champion.

This was the first day of the achievements and first match of a Stalker after coming out of a 3 on 1 fight against a Banshee, LRM Catapult and a Firestarter.
Spoiler

:wub: In my opinion it has one of the best designed hitboxes, in that it's very good, very efficient for spreading damage and yet isn't exploitable with certain armor allocations like other hitboxes.

And to show that opinion means something..
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 19 November 2014 - 11:32 AM.

#9 slapindeface

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:38 AM

That's just awesome. This may be a snap judgement, but I think I'll go with a Stalker. Any recommendations on which variant?

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:43 AM

One sec, this whole quirk nonsense has changed a lot of the old facts about 'em so I gotta have a look at my stable.

Will edit this shortly.

And oh right, the Myst Lynx just got delivered. That makes 152 bays now.

Explains why it took so long to get to the mechbay. Note to self, get an I.C.E. (internal combustion engine) cart or a spare Locust for traveling from mechbay to mechbay... the old golf cart is taking too long.
--------------
Well..the following list is only reading off the high bonuses/quirks/things of note. Several of them have far more quirks than I'm listing.
  • The 3F is the favorite of many due to it having the widest range of torso twist.
  • The 3H, my first one, was not only the go-to for LRM boating due to having the largest missile tube counts, it apparently has quirks to that effect too.
  • The 4N, beloved by me for quite some time as a mixed range fighter but shunned by many has missile quirks and highly favors large lasers now. 4Ns are great for those who "like to favor one side."
  • The 5M, known for having the most missile hardpoints, only has a highlight for SRM-6s.
  • The 5S whose real selling point is twin AMS, is also listed for having specific quirks on both medium lasers and large pulse lasers in addition to the many other little quirks that are common among them.
  • Misery has some quirks to lasers and ballistics as well as somewhat better turning/twisting speeds.
The 4N and 3H got the jackpots of quirk buffs but most likely because the 3H has the fewest hardpoints and the 4N is basically a 3F but with one fewer hardpoint and no torso twist buff.

To add personal notes: 100% of the 3H's energy weapon hardpoints are mounted higher than your vision; being mounted higher or even-with your view is ideal for sharp-shooting over hills.

The 4N as mentioned is great for the "one-sided" crowd. That is to use the not-so-good side more commonly as a bullet sponge instead of your entire body. This keeps most of your firepower on one side. I personally use that missile arm for LRMs, though, and the rest for SRMs. Just so that my brawling rigs can do 'something' at range.

The 3F has the best torso twist as mentioned. Remember that a Stalker is best described as a rhinoceros. It charges great, it can bull rush through fire, and anything in front of it will be swiftly turned to mincemeat. And how do you deal with a rhino? You side step it and get it in the side or the back. Stalkers are slow turners and have limited torso twist. This doesn't matter in Battletech because they can flip their arms backwards and shoot the little pains that are behind them. It does matter in MWO because you can't do cool things like that here. Which is why the best torso twist range of the Stalkers is indeed important.

The 5S is a 3F without the twist, but with twin AMS. Sure you can't twist as far, but who needs to when twin AMS with a range and overload module can shoot down most LRMs, streaks, and SRMs without much issue? We call this "God mode," and you're bound to get a complex. Have a friendly ECM mech snug close to your ankles for the complete package.

The 5M is an ideal troll mech. C'mon, seriously? 5 SRMs or 5 streaks or 5 LRMs... It doesn't take rocket science. Use "Backspace" to set up the chain fire. Now hold the button down and laugh maniacally.
It is important to note that most Stalkers get an additional resistance to damage for their arms when the missile doors are closed (open and close with "/". They open and close automatically but cause a delay in firing when they are forced to do so). The 4N only gets this bonus on the right arm, the Misery does not get it at all (no arm missiles)... and finally the protection does not exist if you do not have missile launchers mounted in the arms in your build.

Edited by Koniving, 19 November 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#11 slapindeface

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:47 PM

Wow, that is extremely informative. Thank you very much for all the info and tips. I truly appreciate all the help.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:00 PM

You're quite welcome. (The funny thing is I was actually going to more highly recommend the Orion.)

Good luck out there, and to mention it if someone tries to headshot you, remember you can protect your head by twisting or looking straight up (assuming the sniper is directly ahead of you and level or below you).

#13 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:04 PM

With the Heavy 'mech I enjoyed the Catapult. The Assault I had a blast using the Stalker. As for which Stalker Variant the Stalker 5M allows you to Zombie as it has an Energy hardpoint in the CT. The Stalker 5S allows you to carry AMS x2 if you enjoy the extra protection from LRMs.

#14 MWHawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 645 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:17 PM

Whatever you do, don't buy Clan Mechs..

#15 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:20 PM

Mist Lynx. Oh, I thought you said next mech NOT to buy.

#16 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:46 AM

I won the 3F, 5M, and misery.. I really enjoy the misery, because an Ac-20 is just fun! But those cost MC, so i'm guessing you don't want to shell out money on that just yet..

In the end, i did not like the 5m that much, it just did not suit my style i really wish i picked up the 4H instead.. But there is always another mech bay..

I suggest you check out the perks https://static.mwome...re%20Quirks.pdf

and decide what kinda weapons you want to use,,, It really is hard to go wrong with the 3F as your first stalker.

that said, While i have not played a firestarter, it kinda sounds like you play it like a medium in some ways.. A heavy that plays like a medium, The Thunder bolt, and with the new perks, some of um are pretty darn fun. (though i always liked them) The Energy boat 5SS, and the Jump jet SE, both shine ahead i think.. But the others are kinda nitch now, with perks.

Good luck... and remember,, Don't sell mechs even if you don't like,, who knows when they will get tweaked to be your favorite! Spend a little MC and buy more bays.. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users